Auston Matthews vs Patrik Laine - Round II

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Link to previous thread:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2061467&page=41

As the draft lottery is closing in and the debate heating up, the discussion is far from over and getting even more intense.

With both players participating the World Championships the battle continues on the ice as well as in the social media. Found an interesting article:

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports...auston-matthews-might-be-nhl-drafts-true-no-1

‘He takes over games’: Patrik Laine, not Auston Matthews, might be NHL draft’s true No. 1'

Discuss.

Legend Leinonen

Apr 8, 2016
Finland
It is proven that hockey-IQ is situated at the high forehead

Now some idiots here claim that Patrik is going bald. But nope: it's just his high forehead.

Patrik wins via high-hockey-IQ-forehead :handclap:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
I wish for Laine - Barkov - Granlund line in WHC. Probably not getting it though..

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Laine has almost closed the gap according to scouts.

Closing the gap might not be enough. He has to pass Matthews completely IMO.

When two players are even, I'd assume teams would favor the center. BUT, there is a lot of time between now and the draft.

The draft lottery will shed a lot of light on what will happen. If EDM wins, I'd say Laine has the 1st spot locked up to be honest.

To woo a team like Toronto/Vancouver/Montreal, I'd assume it would take a tremendous showing in the WHC along with an excellent NHL combine (interviews included).

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Closing the gap might not be enough. He has to pass Matthews completely IMO.

In the last poll it was 2 out of 10 scouts for Laine with several on the fringe.

US team in the IIHF WC is so bad that Mathews is almost guaranteed PP1 and the best linemates. Laine is probably 4th liner with fringe minutes.

Considering this, I d say Mathews will stay ahead after IIHF WC.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
US team in the IIHF WC is so bad that Mathews is almost guaranteed PP1 and the best linemates. Laine is probably 4th liner with fringe minutes.

Think about the amount of wasted talent if they actually threw him to the fourth line.:laugh::help:

In other words: If Laine plays in fourth line most of the time I'll probably cut my balls off or something.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
In the last poll it was 2 out of 10 scouts for Laine with several on the fringe.

Considering this, I d say Mathews will stay ahead after IIHF WC.

Does the coach hate Laine? Or is the team that strong?

Why would you put such an incredible talent in the bottom six?

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland

Just ignore that. Prediction/consensus puts him in the 2nd or 1st line. And in Finnish national team system the 4th line is always the PK kill and grinder line, and Laine is useless in that that role.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010

My bet is he will not be in bottom 6. They'll probably set up a defensive role for bottom lines, specially the 4th, and Laine isn't player for those lines. We will find Laine in either 1-2 lines or popcorn. Maybe 3rd if we have 3 offensive lines.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016

The offence is going to be super strong. Could be the best Finland has even fielded in WHC tournament.

Nevertheless Laine will get a start in 1st line next to Barkov. Some might say it's too early to say this but I have my sources ;)

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Think about the amount of wasted talent if they actually threw him to the fourth line.:laugh::help:

In other words: If Laine plays in fourth line most of the time I'll probably cut my balls off or something.

that would be so Team Finland though, just look at how they excluded Ristolainen and half a year later he's Finlands best defenseman

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
The offence is going to be super strong. Could be the best Finland has even fielded in WHC tournament.

Nevertheless Laine will get a start in 1st line next to Barkov. Some might say it's too early to say this but I have my sources ;)

lolol. Seriously though Barkov and Laine would be Yin Yang in a nutshell. Barkov is a passive, calm pass-first playmaker who excels at defense, Laine is an aggressive power-forward with a shoot-first sniper mentality who can afford sacrificing defense due to Barkov.

Granlund would be a nice fit aswell because he isn't too scoring prone which leads to him using his IQ to feed Laine and Barkov a lot.

I hope Matthews gets to play center

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Depends who is coming from the NHL, but I dont see him outplaying any NHL guys or Pulkkinen for the top6. If we get any NHL RW, Laine is in 3rd or 4th line.

Reality. Also, Mathews gets 20+ minutes and PP1. Laine gets maybe 13 and PP2 if he is extremely lucky. Who will score more?

Hmmm... Requires real thinking to see that Laine is not passing Mathews in this tournament. Not possible to outscore a player with 60% of gametime, worse O-zone start%, worse linemates and less PP time.

skillhockey

Feb 26, 2013
Depends who is coming from the NHL, but I dont see him outplaying any NHL guys or Pulkkinen for the top6. If we get any NHL RW, Laine is in 3rd or 4th line.

Reality. Also, Mathews gets 20+ minutes and PP1. Laine gets maybe 13 and PP2 if he is extremely lucky. Who will score more?

Hmmm... Requires real thinking to see that Laine is not passing Mathews in this tournament. Not possible to outscore a player with 60% of gametime, worse O-zone start%, worse linemates and less PP time.

I can't even see scenario where laine isn't in first pp unit. It if doesn't work, maybe he gets dropped but at start, no. We don't have goal scorers at all.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
If Laine doesn't get to play top PP after the showings at the end of the season plus the POs, then the last of my respect for Jalonen will be gone. None of the NHL guys not even Pulkkinen are as good on that PP spot.

I get that one might want to ease him in on 5v5, but not on the PP. He thrives on that.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
If Laine doesn't get to play top PP after the showings at the end of the season plus the POs, then the last of my respect for Jalonen will be gone. None of the NHL guys not even Pulkkinen are as good on that PP spot.

I get that one might want to ease him in on 5v5, but not on the PP. He thrives on that.

Like Plastino said about Tappara pp. "We were just told to give the puck to him and wait and see what he makes with it."

Thought both Kärpät and IFK pk was purely based on playing Laine out. In WHC i doubt we would see other teams playing just him out so he could do real damage there.

In Liiga playoffs Laine was actually better on 5v5 than pp.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo

This is how it goes only inside your head so far. Lets rather wait and see. Of course you never know for sure what approach each coach will have. But to choose Laine to the team and then not be using his strengths properly would be pure idiotism. Tappara got all the best out of Laine only after Tapola finally understood that by putting him in the first line with Tappara's best players and playing him as much as possible, he would be a constant threat to the opponent.

Age means nothing when players are super talented, as physically competent as Laine already is, and have as much experience as Laine has so far about playing against men in a professional league. It is complete BS that he is too young and unexperienced to have a huge role at WHC level. The only thing that has to do with playing him or not playing him in first line and big PP role, is only the size of the balls that our coach has. No Laine, no balls. Period.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013

And you are saying that 13min TOI players outscore 20min players all the time?:popcorn:

Interesting ideas about size of a role for pre-draft kid in the WC. He is not going to carry the team, despite some people here thinking Laine is the 2nd coming of Jesus.

Jukka

Feb 13, 2015
If Granlund comes, I'm not even sure that Laine should be picked. Jokinen, Granlund, Lehkonen top three left wingers. WC is about the success of the country/team. Who cares who gets picked first or second?

Last edited:

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
And you are saying that 13min TOI players outscore 20min players all the time?:popcorn:

Interesting ideas about size of a role for pre-draft kid in the WC. He is not going to carry the team, despite some people here thinking Laine is the 2nd coming of Jesus.

If you really think Laine is only going to play 13 mins and 2nd pp you are in for big big surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad