Auston Matthews or Pavel Bure

Auston Matthews or Pavel Bure

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Matthews scored 60 goals this year while playing while garnering some Selke votes.

Pavel Bure had to look up defense in the dictionary once because he thought it was French for "of fence".

Actually Bure was a decent 2 way player and also consistently good in the playoffs too but this is AM for career even if it's close right now.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Matthews already, and the gap should only widen with time.

Seems like you are feeling a bit sad that a Leaf player is actually winning a poll. Let me guess - you don't make this kind of post when the shoe is on the other foot? How dare a Leaf player win a poll!
It's got nothing to do with who is winning a poll

It's asking about a better career and one guy's career was cut short.

I figured that was easy enough to understand, I guess I was wrong

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
It's got nothing to do with who is winning a poll

It's asking about a better career and one guy's career was cut short.

I figured that was easy enough to understand, I guess I was wrong

Why am I not surprised you limit who can view your profile.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
It's already Matthews, At 25 he's done everything Pavel Bure did in his career and more.

Both won rookie of the year

Both won the rocket

Both scored 60 goals

Both have hit 100 points or more.

But only Matthews has won the hart

But only Matthews has won the Ted Lindsay
Bure took his team to the finals with 16 goals....

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
Both great players but different players. Matthews needs a guy like marner to set him up for goals. Matthews is like ovechkin one of the best pure goal scorers ever. But Bure can do things like matthews can't and fly down the ice and deke around and take over an entire game by himself. Just look at the team he had im florida. It was basically him. Injuries really hampered Bure's career. Can't compare the 2 as they are completely different players and go about scoring in different ways

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
Both great players but different players. Matthews needs a guy like marner to set him up for goals. Matthews is like ovechkin one of the best pure goal scorers ever. But Bure can do things like matthews can't and fly down the ice and deke around and take over an entire game by himself. Just look at the team he had im florida. It was basically him. Injuries really hampered Bure's career. Can't compare the 2 as they are completely different players and go about scoring in different ways. But I say Matthews will have the better career as he doesn't have the career injuries Pavel had.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Why am I not surprised you limit who can view your profile.
How's this for a surprise

I had no idea you could do that and if I did set that, it would have been 15+ years ago and long since forgotten

Why am I not surprised you went looking?

What I expressed was an opinion about comparing a career where one of the parties being compared had his career cut short.

My opinion had nothing to do with Matthews or the Leafs. I'd have the same opinion if it was Stamkos versus Bure.

I feel somewhat sorry for you that you don't seem to comprehend what is really a simple point of view.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
It's weird, when I watch Matthews he doesn't seem as dynamic as Bure.

Bure was a superior 1 on 1 / creator, Matthews is clearly better at generating points and defensively.

By size, durability, and less defensive liability, (plays C) , I'd have to go with Matthews as my elite goal scorer.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Bure put up impressive totals during the dead puck era.
Matthews wouldn't score 20 goals in a season with all that trapping.
Not unless you can convince me that he'd actually use his massive body to its full potential.
Ugh. Painful to read.
Yeah, every player now would be a 4th liner in the hyperbolical dead puck era. And Bure would score 200 goals in two periods!
What a mind bogglingly stupid post.
LMAO I was not in a normal state when I wrote this, but I really do believe that Bure, Molginy and Federov would have looked even more dominant playing in 2022. Their skating was insane.

I'm still cringing reading that I wrote that Matthews wouldn't score 20 goals in a season. But I 100% believe that Matthews wouldn't produce nearly as much with all the trapping. Also the goalie pads during that era were insane.

Matthews would still be a great player, but I think he'd be further down on the totem pole compared to where he is in the NHL today.

I happily take Bure over Matthews if its for 1 year, but career you probably want to take Matthews. Bure's had to push his legs beyond their limits to reach the level of greatness that he reached and it obviously wasn't a viable long term solution. But for several years it was one hell of a short term solution. Since Bure there has never been a player like him. Not even close.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad