Auston Matthews or Pavel Bure

Auston Matthews or Pavel Bure

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Matthews already has five big seasons and one really good one out of six he's played. Bure had five great seasons and 2-3 really good ones and he's done. Unless Matthews has a career ending injury or something he will rocket by Bure in a year or two and then he'll only be 26-27 with plenty of time to put him far in the rear view mirror. And that's just as a goal scorer. Matthews is the better all-around player.

A better one might be Matthews vs. Hull (either), Bossy, Espo or something. That's more his trajectory.

My Best-Carey

Reactions: wetcoast

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Matthews is already pretty close to Bure’s career, and last year was better than any Bure season. It’d be shocking if he didn’t end up well ahead at this point. The only big advantage Bure has now is the ‘94 playoff run, but I’m sure Matthews will have a big run eventually as well, just like McDavid finally did this year.

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
Matthews scored 60 goals this year while playing while garnering some Selke votes.

Pavel Bure had to look up defense in the dictionary once because he thought it was French for "of fence".

EverTheCynic

May 26, 2022
I mean, I love Bure, but Matthews is a better player. Once he matches Bure’s 94 run, he will surpass him.

Only a matter of time. Plus, C > W and all that.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Matthews scored 60 goals this year while playing while garnering some Selke votes.

Pavel Bure had to look up defense in the dictionary once because he thought it was French for "of fence".

Matthews is certainly better defensively, but Bure was only bad defensively in Florida. And even then it was really only the ‘01 and the ‘02 season before he was traded that he was that bad.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
This point differential still blows my mind
Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 11.38.46 AM.png

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Matthews just beat peak McDavid for a Hart, and the players vindicated it with a Lindsay. It's just one season but it was a great season and it goes a long way.

Matthews would have to have his career abruptly curtailed in order to not pass Bure.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Something tells me if bure were in today's league he'd torch the league to the rocket every year. Think McDavid but a goal scoring version
I swear people say this for every high-level 90s player lol. Reality is It's more likely that he'd look worse in today's league than he did in his own time given how much more talented the league is as a whole now

Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It's already Matthews, At 25 he's done everything Pavel Bure did in his career and more.

Both won rookie of the year

Both won the rocket

Both scored 60 goals

Both have hit 100 points or more.

But only Matthews has won the hart

But only Matthews has won the Ted Lindsay

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00