Rumor: Auston Matthews has tested positive for COVID-19.

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The media doesn't control players and force them to make statements. There are layers and players don't need to comment if they don't want to.

Of course they don't need to comment, does not change the sheer number of media that are constantly around them trying to get them to comment. It should go without saying that this is more intense in Toronto than any where else (Montreal would likely be on par).

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Of course they don't need to comment, does not change the sheer number of media that are constantly around them trying to get them to comment. It should go without saying that this is more intense in Toronto than any where else (Montreal would likely be on par).

Montreal is worse actually, but you need to understand French so they get away with a lot.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
What separates this from reporting player injuries, which is standard practice?

The CBA. The players have consented to allow certain things to be disclosed. Not this.

bobby Mack clearly knew. He said the day before that Freddie was gone.. and in the same interview it was “wrong” and not allowed to name specific players.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Freidman is speculating today that they are discussing a positive test could result in no play for 6-8 weeks after their first negative test, talks about liability issues. From thread on main forum.
Just the player or the team or the league?
Would make sense if it is just the player, might seems unfair but would just have to check as someone getting injured.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Heck even teams are vague about that now - hence lower body, upper body injuries, or just illness... Details usually don't come out until after the season.
I think that had more to do with initial diagnosis. As it would look really bad if they come out and say it is shoulder and ended up being elbow. I know this is a bad example but hope you know what I mean

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Just the player or the team or the league?
Would make sense if it is just the player, might seems unfair but would just have to check as someone getting injured.

It would be rather odd to make a team sit out for 6-8 weeks and forfeiting all their games.

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
What separates this from reporting player injuries, which is standard practice?
A player, either personally or through a provision in the collective agreement, must have consented to any reporting on his injury. And please note that often the details of the injury are not disclosed, but only vague statements. (eg. "upper body injury", "to be re-evaluated in four weeks", etc.)
There is no evidence that Simmons had authorization to release anything on this issue.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

Ohhh. Of course they don't need to... Oh...ok. So they have a choice? Wow. Thanks a lot.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Stranger things happen.
Remember reading how carriers can be tested negative than positive a few days later.

Absolutely true. My entire house was sick, my condition was really bad for a few days, got tested came negative, my dads came positive. He, unfortunately,lost the battle with covid. But i remember how sick i was, being unable to breathe, constant coughing, literally could not take more than 5 steps without breathing heavy. Had all the same symptoms as my father. Although i didn't re-take the test, im absolutely positive i contracted the virus as well.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Absolutely true. My entire house was sick, my condition was really bad for a few days, got tested came negative, my dads came positive. He, unfortunately,lost the battle with covid. But i remember how sick i was, being unable to breathe, constant coughing, literally could not take more than 5 steps without breathing heavy. Had all the same symptoms as my father. Although i didn't re-take the test, im absolutely positive i contracted the virus as well.

Brother Im sorry for you and your familys loss.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Very sorry to hear that terrible news ... can't even imagine what it feels like to lose ur dad like dat ... one of my buddies told me a similar story last Friday night where he tested negative twice in april but felt like crap for a week and then he lost his mom to covid in may she was in early stage skin cancer and he was her care giver/medicine deliverer at her home ... really sucks big time when u FEEL u can't trust da test

Reactions: AvroArrow

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Stranger things happen.
Remember reading how carriers can be tested negative than positive a few days later.
Well that would sure mess up the TV schedule...sorry Leafs fans you have no games to watch between Jan 15 and March 10.....that’d go over like a lead balloon.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Well that would sure mess up the TV schedule...sorry Leafs fans you have no games to watch between Jan 15 and March 10.....that’d go over like a lead balloon.
I can't see da NHL playing next season without fans ... it would be a real financial test for da owners and players to make it work with 20-30% of HRR ... TV media would be fine but i just can't see it truly going off next season ... why not finish off this season and take a year off and wait for vaccine to kick in and start up again in Oct 2021

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Very sorry to hear that terrible news ... can't even imagine what it feels like to lose ur dad like dat ... one of my buddies told me a similar story last Friday night where he tested negative twice in april but felt like crap for a week and then he lost his mom to covid in may she was in early stage skin cancer and he was her care giver/medicine deliverer at her home ... really sucks big time when u FEEL u can't trust da test

Yeah it's really shitty. But this virus is still so new, there isn't any definitive answers to the questions people have about it. There's just no way we couldn't have contracted it, we were all living in the same house, my mother was still sharing a bed with him for almost a week before his symptoms got very severe. We all felt extremely sick, our tests came negative but dads came positive.

It just didn't make sense how none of us tested positive, because we had all been sitting/eating together for at least a week, and my parents shared the same bed so they were extremely close to one another.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yeah it's really shitty. But this virus is still so new, there isn't any definitive answers to the questions people have about it. There's just no way we couldn't have contracted it, we were all living in the same house, my mother was still sharing a bed with him for almost a week before his symptoms got very severe. We all felt extremely sick, our tests came negative but dads came positive.

It just didn't make sense how none of us tested positive, because we had all been sitting/eating together for at least a week, and my parents shared the same bed so they were extremely close to one another.
I hate it for you, but you appear to be in a minority with this virus.

I know of a family of sisters that looked after their elderly mother 24/7 and and not one of them got it. Living in the same house, helping her in out of her wheelchair, bed, etc. Apparently, according studies I’ve seen, a lot are immune and most of those under 60 that are not immune are asymptomatic.

Once the scientist can pinpoint the exact reasons then they can find cures etc.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Reactions: stickty111

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Ohhh. Of course they don't need to... Oh...ok. So they have a choice? Wow. Thanks a lot.

Your frequent pattern of responses never wavers. You completely avoided the point of the post and focus on a small aspect that's there for contextualization.

I was just speaking to the point that it does not whether or not a player speaks to the media. In Toronto there is more media, regardless of what you do as a player, there will be more media exposure and with that pressure. That's just the reality.

Reactions: rubous

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Your frequent pattern of responses never wavers. You completely avoided the point of the post and focus on a small aspect that's there for contextualization.

I was just speaking to the point that it does not whether or not a player speaks to the media. In Toronto there is more media, regardless of what you do as a player, there will be more media exposure and with that pressure. That's just the reality.
poster does not seem to get it....

Reactions: robertmac43

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Bro, sorry for your lost. Hope all is well

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Thats upsetting to hear. I'm sorry for your loss? How are you feeling now?

Reactions: kb

mikeo1

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver
He's a professional athlete with all the privacy that entails (none) his health is in the public interest

So if Simmonds gets verifiable information Leaked to him you bet your ass he should publish it and it's definitely newsworthy

You can say that about any person in the spotlight but unfortunately your life becomes public fodder with the wealth and celebrity you gain from it

Why is investigative journalism ok when it's exposing stuff you like but not ok when it's exposing stuff you don't like? Matthews getting COVID is a story and should be published

Revealing Matthews tested positive for Covid19 serves no public interest. This is celebrity tabloid level journalism, not investigative journalism. But then again the Simmonds does write for a tabloid.

Reactions: kb

Blue Nate

Sep 27, 2017
St Catharines
I'm so sorry for your loss. My sister, an RN, had the exact same symptoms of you and a negative test as well. She didn't re-test either but went back to work as soon as she felt better. The hospital where she works didn't take into account false negatives I guess.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I'm so sorry for your loss. My sister, an RN, had the exact same symptoms of you and a negative test as well. She didn't re-test either but went back to work as soon as she felt better. The hospital where she works didn't take into account false negatives I guess.
We better get a better test and procedure ... I don't know how we do it but between the test provider doing swab, the swab itself, the transport and the analyzing of it at lab we have to eliminate these testing errors ... i realize this is a new virus et al but common these issues are really slowing this whole thing down ... between false positives and false negatives there are just too many errors ... i am hearing way too many stories from different people ... i can't believe we are even in this mess ... what a screw up at WHO coming up with this test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad