Injury Report: Auston Matthews: Hand injury (no details forthcoming)

Auston "opens up" about hand injury

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
1678906309504.png

• Wow
Reactions: PromisedLand

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
In an interview with The Athletic’s Jonas Siegel, Toronto Maple Leafs forward Auston Matthews revealed that he had been playing through a hand injury this season.

While talking to Siegel, Matthews said, “I think my hand and everything has been feeling a lot better, just stronger.” It was visibly noticeable when watching him play this season.

“It just felt like something was off,” Matthews told Siegel. “I just felt like not completely, like I wasn’t able to do exactly what I wanted to at times.”

It’s unclear when exactly the hand injury first emerged — we know
Matthews had surgery on his left wrist before last season — or how
long it was bugging him. It’s possible it’s been an on-and-off
sort of thing all year. Matthews missed three weeks with a knee injury
in late January/early February, time off that was presumably
beneficial for the hand injury.

A hand injury would obviously be limiting to arguably the greatest
shooter in the world. It would explain why Matthews has shot the puck
less this season – 12.6 attempts per 60 minutes, down from 13.9 last
year. It would explain why his shooting has been less precise at
times, why he seemed to be missing the net more than usual. It would
explain why his puck handling, an underrated part of his dominance
over the years, just didn’t seem as sharp. It would explain why his
faceoffs and takeaways were down.

Textify link for theathletic

Last edited:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

Of late, I’d noticed that Matthews was starting to shoot the puck with force again and wondered if he was feeling similarly. I asked him as much in a brief 1-on-1 interview after a recent practice and he responded by revealing at least part of what was really going on.

“I think my hand and everything has been feeling a lot better, just stronger,” Matthews said, acknowledging the nature of that injury for the first time. “So yeah, I’d have to agree with you there. Just shooting it a little bit more fluidly I’d say.”

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
This explains it. However, beginning to worry that the wrist might turn into a chronic issue. Would anyone be worried about a long-term extension due to this? I'm not sure I would be, unless he is asking for a new bar setting contract. I would be leery about that.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
It’s good news in that we all knew his wrist shot wasn’t there all year.
But if this is going to be a lingering or repeated injury it’s bad news.

Reactions: 56 Years No Cup

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
worst kept secret of the season... so far.
I'd say it was a pretty good kept secret, and it should be a relief to some who though he may have just fallen to earth. Now we can worry that it's a long term career affecting issue.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I'd say it was a pretty good kept secret, and it should be a relief to some who though he may have just fallen to earth. Now we can worry that it's a long term career affecting issue.

Keefe mentioned he was playing through injury over a month ago then Dubas confirmed it again recently. Now we know what the injury is anyway.

Reactions: Altair

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
This explains it. However, beginning to worry that the wrist might turn into a chronic issue. Would anyone be worried about a long-term extension due to this? I'm not sure I would be, unless he is asking for a new bar setting contract. I would be leery about that.
Tbh he seems to get hurt by the most innocuous of circumstances.

Remember that shoulder injury, that hit didn't seem like a whole lot even for beer league. I know it was an NHL dman making that hit, although it only seemed like a nudge and Matthews missed a whole bunch of games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad