Auston Matthews Discussion VII:

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
He just continues to amaze. Just utterly dangerous at all times. If he has that puck and he's in any kind of proximity to the opposing net...he can score :)

Just fun to watch. Also really does work hard out there to get pucks and do something with them.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
XD so in other news... buffalo fans think matthews has peaked and won't get any better from here. Classic.
10 points in 7 games is his peak, the best we'll ever see from Matthews
9 points in 7 games is merely scratching the surface of Eichel's potential
it sure is an interesting way to justify your player being straight up inferior, but it is really disingenuous

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I just don't get it. This must be how Oilers fans saw McDavid last year. Every game he's dominating. He could legitimately pot 3-4 points each game. Nylander and Hyman on the eye test alone look very snakebitten. Once Nylander specifically comes back to his normal SH%, Matthews point totals only go up. 10 in 7 so far.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
10 points in 7 games is his peak, the best we'll ever see from Matthews
9 points in 7 games is merely scratching the surface of Eichel's potential
it sure is an interesting way to justify your player being straight up inferior, but it is really disingenuous
I am certain that jack wont get a cup in his lifetime, he just isn't anywhere close to the leader required to do it. He has similar skill to auston but literally none of the intangibles. Hes just such a baby... jack why dors your team suck " we have guys who are just happy to be in the league". He also got balsma and TM fired, hes just the kind of poser who will never own up to his fair share.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I am certain that jack wont get a cup in his lifetime, he just isn't anywhere close to the leader required to do it. He has similar skill to auston but literally none of the intangibles. Hes just such a baby... jack why dors your team suck " we have guys who are just happy to be in the league". He also got balsma and TM fired, hes just the kind of poser who will never own up to his fair share.
he also doesn't have Matthews' on ice IQ or drive. He gives up on plays and makes mistakes regularly

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I just don't get it. This must be how Oilers fans saw McDavid last year. Every game he's dominating. He could legitimately pot 3-4 points each game. Nylander and Hyman on the eye test alone look very snakebitten. Once Nylander specifically comes back to his normal SH%, Matthews point totals only go up. 10 in 7 so far.
It's early but yeah Matthews is creating chances like McDavid. It's amazing McDavid was able to do this all year

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
oiler fans are even starting to turn on connor a bit, a lot of then are saying that he has just been getting his points and checking out of games lately. The thing that makes 34 great is the combo of world class talent and world class intangibles. I think he might go down as the greatest puck stripper ever by the end of his career.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
This guy is scoring in what seems to be everygame. Keep this up and shpw mcdavid he is not in a realm of his own.

Rocket, hart, selke, lady bing and art ross are all within possibility this season.

Just wow keep it up Matthews!

Also shoutout to Nylander who is a true beast himself. Most electric duo this season easily!

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
Why are we trashing Eichel over what fans say. 9 points in 7 games on THAT team. He might outscore Matthews, but it won't deduct from what Matthews does shift by shift. You actually can't score when he's on the ice. The only time these guys get scored on is off of a bad line change or actual "unlucky" plays.

Matthews is pretty close to being a perennial Selke nominee. I give it 2 years before he takes over the reigns from Bergeron. The effort he puts into shifts is so consistent compared to most elite players. A lot of the time they'll kind of wait for the puck to come near them or someone to bring them it. Matthews hunts it down, starts half of our defensive zone breakouts covering for the D down low, and then controls the pace of the game in their zone.

I think one of the best traits he has is his discipline and shift management. He's usually the first guy to make a line change, he doesn't put himself in positions this year like he did last year where he'd be low energy at the end of the shift and make defensive lapses getting hemmed in the zone. This is something Crosby does as well. Shift isn't happening, gets off the ice at the best possible times instead of trying to overstay to do something.

A lot of our guys stay out for a bit too long, make that one mistake we're prone to making, and then hemmed in our own zone without the compete level from being so tired. Probably a reason why he has a lower TOI usually than what you'd expect. Doesn't waste his time

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010
I don't know if it was Dangle or the folks over at PPP who started it but they're now calling Matthews "The Boogeyman" and I f***ing love it!

MatthewNylander

Oct 17, 2017
XD so in other news... buffalo fans think matthews has peaked and won't get any better from here. Classic.

Not even worth arguing it really. If we get 15 years of this Austin Matthews with no improvement , STILL OVER THE MOON HAPPY . If we had Eichel ; he is also good ) but I would want to see some progress to grow to his potential .

RLF

May 5, 2014
10 pts in 7 games and leading the League with a +10...tied with Nylander and Zaitsev. Not only is he producing, he is winning his matchups by a wide margin. That's impressive.

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown

Definitely awesome to see Matthews go out there and have a legitimate chance at creating something every shift.

I don't think you can say that Willy and Zach are snake bitten enough that it effects Matthews, especially when 11 is shooting 21% and 34 is shooting 30%. Those numbers will go down, so even a slight bump in Nylander's S% won't make much of a difference. I do think that the line has another gear, and if they can play how they played against Chicago more often, they will definitely put up more points/dominate more games.

just noticed Hyman-Matthews-Nylander are getting 60% Dzone starts! that is fantastic they are succeeding

That is amazing.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
They mentioned an interesting stat last night.

As well as Matthews is scoring he is still trailing another Leaf #1 overall and best start to a career.

Wendel Clark ............ 89 games played and 47 goals scored.
Auston Matthews .. 89 games played and 46 goals scored.

History is repeating itself as Leafs former #1 OA picks fill the net with pucks as they burst onto the scene with impressive stats and became fan favourites.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
They mentioned an interesting stat last night.

As well as Matthews is scoring he is still trailing another Leaf #1 overall and best start to a career.

Wendel Clark ............ 89 games played and 47 goals scored.
Auston Matthews .. 89 games played and 46 goals scored.

History is repeating itself as Leafs former #1 OA picks fill the net with pucks as they burst onto the scene with impressive stats and became fan favourites.

I wonder once you do score adjusting for era what the numbers are like? I have no idea but Clarkes first season was the really high scoring 80's

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Why can't he produce the same way on the PP? They guy is an elite 5v5 producer but I feel like he isn't utilized properly on the PP.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I wonder once you do score adjusting for era what the numbers are like? I have no idea but Clarkes first season was the really high scoring 80's

Yes different era's, but how do you adjust for Wendel a junior Dman turned forward as an NHLer?.

Clark was a defenseman in junior hockey and Team Canada moved him to winger at World Juniors and when he joined the Leafs he started his career up front and never looked back.

So if you adjust for offense by era, you could offset that by position change to counter balance that.

Both Matthews and Clark have/had wicked wrist shots that filled the net with pucks.

However a goal is still a goal in any era and this wasn't intended to determine who is better, but to show how impressive both starts were and they were loved by Leaf fans. ;)

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Yes different era's, but how do you adjust for Wendel a junior Dman turned forward as an NHLer?.

Clark was a defenseman in junior hockey and Team Canada moved him to winger at World Juniors and when he joined the Leafs he started his career up front and never looked back.

So if you adjust for offense by era, you could offset that by position change to counter balance that.

Both Matthews and Clark have/had wicked wrist shots that filled the net with pucks.

However a goal is still a goal in any era and this wasn't intended to determine who is better, but to show how impressive both starts were and they were loved by Leaf fans. ;)

yeah you sure can, even as a dman it was still a higher scoring era though it would be easier to move dman to forward but he still had to do it reasonable offset there

Silver91

Agent 0091
May 27, 2007
Unknown
Adjusted for era, Wendel's 34 goal rookie season worked out to 26 goals, while Auston's 40 worked out to 43. The 13 goals to start Wendel's second season roughly work out to ~11 goals, give or take, which still only adds up to 37 vs. 46 - or era adjusted ~49 (assuming you don't adjust this season's 6).

Another thing to consider is Wendel only had 11 assists as a rookie, which adjusts down to 9, vs 28/31 for Matthews. Can't really compare the 2, even if you give bonus to Wendel for making the switch to wing.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Why can't he produce the same way on the PP? They guy is an elite 5v5 producer but I feel like he isn't utilized properly on the PP.
Agreed.

IMO Willy nad Matthews should line up on the PP similar to the way Kucherov and Stamkos do, on their off wing ready to 1-time it.
I realize neither guy has the kind of 1-timer Stamkos and Kucherov do, but it would put a tremendous amount of pressure on the other teams PK to have to cover one or the other

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad