Auston Matthews 69 goals in 81 games, most goals scored since Lemieux in 1995-96

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
It’s easier to pass to 1 of 4 guys than to be the one to score.

In a game that meant nothing, everyone knew the Leafs were playing for Matthews 70th and both Tampa and Florida swarmed him to ensure he didn’t get it.

I don't know, twelve shots on goal last night tells me he had plenty of opportunities. :dunno:

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
When I heard Florida was starting Stolarz, I thought he'd get that 70th goal - especially since he'd scored in the previous 8 or 9 consecutive games. Then he didn't.

Then going into last night, Tampa rolls Tomkins out there, and Matthews gets blanked again?! Him not scoring a goal for two straight games was by far the most improbable outcome at the start of the week. :laugh:

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
When I heard Florida was starting Stolarz, I thought he'd get that 70th goal - especially since he'd scored in the previous 8 or 9 consecutive games. Then he didn't.

Then going into last night, Tampa rolls Tomkins out there, and Matthews gets blanked again?! Him not scoring a goal for two straight games was by far the most improbable outcome at the start of the week. :laugh:
Stolarz had a pretty solid season! But yeah I agree, definitely improbable for Matthews to not score on like 20 shots on net in two games.

Reactions: Summer Rose

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I did, and I'm not sure how you could say he didn't have opportunities to score.

I never once said he didn’t have opportunities, but both teams were swarming him, getting in his lane and making sure to be between him and the puck. There were no easy opportunities and Matthews had to push through to get his chances. To be fair the Leafs were also neglecting all other responsibilities to get him the puck.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I never once said he didn’t have opportunities, but both teams were swarming him, getting in his lane and making sure to be between him and the puck. There were no easy opportunities and Matthews had to push through to get his chances. To be fair the Leafs were also neglecting all other responsibilities to get him the puck.
Someone said that Matthews had 'plenty of opportunities' and your response was 'clearly you didn't watch the game', so that's how it came across to me anyway. All good.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Tomkins didn't play amazing because the post robbed him more than tomkins. He just stopped matthews and matthews choked under pressure. I hear Toronto is known for that or something. That isn't our goalie. It is a third stringer. Matthews had a great season , but had a major choke job last night. Some guys fold under pressure and some guys thrife under pressure.
Again, he had plenty of chances and the goalie beat him. Why not just say the goalie played great and didn't let him score? Not everything is a 'choke' lol. Again, as a Leafs fan, it's hard to be upset when he had over 10 shots on net and a post. A choke to me is him getting a shot or two and no other looks.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
14 goals in his last 15 games. 9 in his last 9.

Incredible late season push. I don't think he was ever pacing for 70 over the season so to call it a choke is just dumb. But what else can you expect from HF.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
14 goals in his last 15 games. 9 in his last 9.

Incredible late season push. I don't think he was ever pacing for 70 over the season so to call it a choke is just dumb. But what else can you expect from HF.

Uh....he was not only pacing for 70, but for a stretch in late February he was pacing for ~78-80 goals or so. So he definitely was

I think he slowed down a bit in March and most people gave up on 75 and even 70 and were simply guessing 65+, but as you said he got really got again past couple weeks and came close.

I agree with the rest - absolutely phenomenal season by Matthews

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Uh....he was not only pacing for 70, but for a stretch in late February he was pacing for ~78-80 goals or so. So he definitely was

I think he slowed down a bit in March and most people gave up on 75 and even 70 and were simply guessing 65+, but as you said he got really got again past couple weeks and came close.

I agree with the rest - absolutely phenomenal season by Matthews
Yeah my bad. Grabbed a random game from Feb and he had 49 in 53 games.

Anyway, this isn't the dunk posters think it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Kucherov should be the slam dunk when you look at his team being worse the MacK’s (who I’m a huge fan of) half the year.

And when you look at Kucherov feasting against top teams and “only” being super good against bottom teams, while the stat breakdown for MacK and McD is the opposite

Kucherov carried the Bolts but he’ll probably get 3rd place because

1. MacKinnon is “overdue” and that’s real logic voters use

2. McDavid will likely always take a chunk of voters

3. Shouldn’t matter, but he pissed off a bunch of media people with his attitude at the all star game.
Not the thread for it but I'll be shocked if Kucherov doesn't win.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
As a casual observer, this Tampa game was meaningless. The seeding was set for both teams. Why did Keefe not pull the goalie at every offensive possession to get Matthews his 70th and then just sit his ass on the bench?

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
That Lilleberg shot block was glorious. Great season for Matthews.

But all that matters is the playoffs. Cup is all that really matters. Regular season (individual) accomplishments only really matter to me after you've won a Cup. If you haven't yet, meh.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad