Auston Matthews 69 goals in 81 games, most goals scored since Lemieux in 1995-96

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
I mean its pretty obvious to anybody who watched both ,Its not only eras but the pure dominance and fear ovi used to put in defenders 1 on 1 , its not really close in terms of eye test at least , ovi was a bull in a china shop and all , that said Matthews still deserves his flowers , he is the best goalscorer since ovi no doubt

This is the answer.

he might get to 65 this year. Would be kinda cool if they tied. But, Ovie is the superior star.

I can't sit here and say AM won't get to AO's career goal mark. It's unlikely, sure. AO went on to score a TON more into his late 30s and is still going at a 30G pace (if not much higher over the last 25 games).

The only thing that has stopped AO is a pandemic, lockout and a few suspensions. It would be quite lucky if AM could have that long of a career without injury and keeping pace.

What could have been with goal scoring marks with AO, and Jagr if lockouts and playing overseas didn't happen.

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
Re: Ovechkin vs. Matthews - both tremendous player
Anyone comparing Ovi and Mathews needs to remember one thing when this conversation comes up.

There were no offside reviews etc for Ovie's career. I have already seen these type of coach's challenge reviews take direct goals away from Mathews.

LOL offsides reviews??? First off, Ovechkin has played every season Matthews has so he has been impacted also including several goals taken off this season.

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn
The era adjusting crowd only adjusts the worst candidates for adjustment, the outliers

They aren’t interested in adjusting 20 goal scorers with other 20 goal scorers, they only look to pump Crosby and Ovechkin and pull down the Gretzky’s and McDavid’s and Matthews
or some reason.

Nobody is trying to pull down Gretzky and McDavid, Gretzky is the GOAT and McDavid is the best player since Lemieux.

I care less about scoring environment and more about comparisons within that environment. Gretzky outscored teammates by 70+ points, McDavid, Crosby and Ovechkin have done so by 40+ points.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Nobody is trying to pull down Gretzky and McDavid, Gretzky is the GOAT and McDavid is the best player since Lemieux.

I care less about scoring environment and more about comparisons within that environment. Gretzky outscored teammates by 70+ points, McDavid, Crosby and Ovechkin have done so by 40+ points.

The entire reason era adjusting NHL stats even exists is an attempt to pull down Gretzky

If you didn’t have an outlier like that, who’s stats didn’t make sense to new-ish fans, era adjusting wouldn’t even be a thing

Funny fact is that even handicapping Gretzky’s stats, he’s still the GOAT

Ok, so if we remove AO 7th season, he still has 301 goals to AM 299, which still means that AM didn't "outdone OV raw" as the post I was answering to claims. Also, I see you are willing to remove an entire season for AO due to lockout but complain about AM missing a few games due to CoVid.

Last but not least, and this is the point I was making: how many games did AM lose because of injuries? They greatly outnumber the games missed due to COVID.

If my math is right, in the first 7 seasons in the league, he missed 55 games due to injury/suspension or 7.85 games per season. This is in the early part of his career. He will never get those games back, and going forward, they suggest that he will probably not be as durable as AO.....

I don’t think the argument is about who has the higher durability. Maybe make another thread for that

What we are talking about is goal scoring.

And I don’t remember counting a lockout season in ovechkin’s stats at all. How would you even do that? 0 goals in 0 games played? You’re not making any sense

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The entire reason era adjusting NHL stats even exists is an attempt to pull down Gretzky

If we didn't adjust for stats, all the best players in history will have played in the mid to late 70s to early 90s.

You have to go to 15th (McDavid) to find a season by someone who is still active.

Then it's him again, but as the 108th and 111th best seasons.

Those two seasons are behind guys like Denis Savard, Mark Recchi and Dennis Maruk.

Last edited:
Reactions: keglu and Regal

JukofYork

Mar 22, 2014
NHL takes away 2-3 Ovi goals every season, this year 3-4 already.
Also 2 harts, 2 rosses and 1 rocket. And 1.5 season. He would be near to 1000 goals now.
Great so what about the other 10 years this rule didnt exist that Ovechkin played in? It has been there since day 1 for Mathews.

BTW you just proved my point. So discount 3 goals per season for 10 seasons on Ovechkin. And now compare goals between the two players career wise.

Mathews wins by quite a lot.

Re: Ovechkin vs. Matthews - both tremendous player

LOL offsides reviews??? First off, Ovechkin has played every season Matthews has so he has been impacted also including several goals taken off this season.
Rethink what you just wrote. When did Ovechkin start playing? When did Mathews start playing. When were these coachs challenges implemented?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Demandedace

JukofYork

Mar 22, 2014
I’m more impressed with Hyman than Matthews this season, tbh.
You havent watched many games, you are stat reading. Hyman is a decent goal scorer for sure but he plays with McDavid so you can add at least 15-20 goals for that reason alone

CN8

May 31, 2010
Canada
You havent watched many games, you are stat reading. Hyman is a decent goal scorer for sure but he plays with McDavid so you can add at least 15-20 goals for that reason alone
Ya watching the games tells a different story. Matthews definitely more skilled but Imagine if Matthews had Hymans work ethic.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Great so what about the other 10 years this rule didnt exist that Ovechkin played in? It has been there since day 1 for Mathews.

BTW you just proved my point. So discount 3 goals per season for 10 seasons on Ovechkin. And now compare goals between the two players career wise.

Mathews wins by quite a lot.
So Auston Matthews has already had a better CAREER than Ovechkin.

Holy shit.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Rocket is not that impressive this year when you are only 8 ahead of #2 and 3 TBH

Matthews currently has about 20 more goals in less games than Ovechkin had at the same point of his career.

Ovechkin spending almost twice as much on the powerplay in their first 7/8 seasons also entirely erases the difference in scoring levels, infact it was shown that considering this Ovechkin actually played in the slightly higher scoring environment (as a one way offensive winger instead of a two center).
Why, as a filthy goal scorer, was Matthews not given more PP time early on? Why would a coach not put the most lethal weapon out there more?

• Haha
Reactions: Phion Keneuf

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Rocket is not that impressive this year when you are only 8 ahead of #2 and 3 TBH

Why, as a filthy goal scorer, was Matthews not given more PP time early on? Why would a coach not put the most lethal weapon out there more?

That's huge. Since Matthews was drafted no player won the Rocket by 8 (or more) goals.

Last year McDavid won the Rocket by 3 goals.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010

The Leafs don't get as many PP's as other teams. They're at the bottom of the league in PP opportunities nearly every year. They're 25th in the league in PP's per game this season.

You can't put him on for a PP they don't have. This makes no sense.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
The Leafs don't get as many PP's as other teams. They're at the bottom of the league in PP opportunities nearly every year. They're 25th in the league in PP's per game this season.

You can't put him on for a PP they don't have. This makes no sense.

Since 18/19, Matthews has scored 78 PP goals while the Leafs have had 1243 PP opportunities.

Ovechkin's Caps were 18th in the league from 05/06 to 13/14.

If the Leafs were getting the 17th most PPs since 18/19 it would mean that Leafs would have had about 70 more PPs and Matthews would have about 4 or 5 more PP goals over that timeframe.

PP goalscoring is basically irrelevant in a comparison.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad