Recalled/Assigned: Austin Czarnik back up..... now waived (upd: cleared) + Rinaldo sent down

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Flames have 23 active players on the roster of which Dube, Kylington, and Phillips are waiver exempt. No room for Czarnik until they send someone down to Stockton.

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Can’t say I like Czarnik being on waivers, he’s good depth and he’s gonna get claimed. But czar needs a real shot in the nhl, and the flames haven’t really given him chance.

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
In 8 games Czarnik has 3 points. Mark Jankowski has 1 point in 31 games (and it's a secondary assist).

Always earned never given boys

I mean there's more to it than just that but realistically this could be because he's asked for a fresh start elsewhere even.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
Not surprised. Mang is a better version of him and younger. Jank I think is only holding on to a spot because he's good on the PK and he has size that he doesn't use, but maybe they're hoping he will grow a pair and not be a wimp.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Honestly Kovalchuk would last two games here it isn’t worth it. I think Czarnik should be claimed but this is a sneaky time of year to waive someone too. Roster freeze coming up, teams don’t have a lot of contract spots open

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I am not sure why people are surprised.. Dube took Czarnik's roster spot, and deservedly so as he is the better player in every aspect of the game.

Jankowski and Czarnik are not competing for the same spot as they provide completely different abilities and tools. I highly doubt he get's claimed and he will be a great addition to an already potent offensive team down in Stockton while he get's his game back on track after an injury. If he get's claimed? It's not a massive loss organizationally and he get's another shot elsewhere.

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
Dube is just getting acclimated to the NHL and you send his father down to the A? Bush league!

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Not the end of the world if he gets claimed.
Great little shooter, but you need a spot for him. I kind of feel like he could have a Paul Byron type production if you gift him top 6 minutes (like 40-50 points).

The problem is, we're not in a position to do that.

It'd resolve some of the too-many-bodies issues we're currently having.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I would be very surprised if we see Austin before the playoffs provided the roster situation with the roster stays the same. Austin could benefit from some real playing time building his confidence. The time will also allow him to rehab the ankle right. A clicking Czarnik come the playoffs could be handy.

Nobody is picking up a player that has only played 60 games in the last year and a half and has 21 points.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Oilers probably will pick up Czarnik and make him another 50 goal scorer after the "real " deal.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
BTW, it's a mistake to wave him instead of Janko

If I run the Flames, I'd wave Frolik and Janko and see if I get lucky someone pick them up.

With Frolik, we'd save a bunch of money open up room for upgrading.

Czarnik is not a regular but he can provide short term offensive sparks....we dont have too many of those.

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I will be surprised if Czarnik makes it through waivers without being claimed.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Just found out that Czarnik is 27 years old (turned 27 on Dec 12). I didn't realize he was that old.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Do you think by sending Czarnik down the Flames are making room for Phillips to come back up?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad