AUS 2013-2014 Season Thread

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
UNB 5 SMU 3- VReds rallied from an early 2-0 deficit to defeat the Huskies. Chris Culligan with the hat trick in the win. Huskies backup Curtis Black held his own in nets with 32 saves in the loss. Lavigne with 17 saves for the win.

SMU has yet to win in both the pre-season and regular season. The coaching situation may have been a distraction so far. I don't see them slumping very much longer though, especially once they get Peters back in nets.

VReds may have their own injury problems. Carroll may be out for their first half and Nesbitt left the game tonight. Injuries are a real potential hazard in the AUS this season due to an unprecedented cap limit.

STU 4 Dal 3- I don't think it is realistic to expect the Tommies to make the playoffs but I do think it is realistic for them to finish in seventh ahead of the Tigers.
Tommies an impressive 3 for 6 on the PP. Both teams play again next Saturday.

Moncton 4 STFX 3 - Les Aigles off to a strong start this season. The Saulnier twins have already made their presence felt. X probably deserved a better fate this weekend.

(UPEI to play Acadia Sunday at 2pm)

Last edited:

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
UNB 5 SMU 3- VReds rallied from an early 2-0 deficit to defeat the Huskies. Chris Culligan with the hat trick in the win. Huskies backup Curtis Black held his own in nets with 32 saves in the loss. Lavigne with 17 saves for the win.

SMU has yet to win in both the pre-season and regular season. The coaching situation may have been a distraction so far. I don't see them slumping very much longer though, especially once they get Peters back in nets.

VReds may have their own injury problems. Carroll may be out for their first half and Nesbitt left the game tonight. Injuries are a real potential hazard in the AUS this season due to an unprecedented cap limit.

STU 4 Dal 3- I don't think it is realistic to expect the Tommies to make the playoffs but I do think it is realistic for them to finish in seventh ahead of the Tigers.
Tommies an impressive 3 for 6 on the PP. Both teams play again next Saturday.

Moncton 4 STFX 3 - Les Aigles off to a strong start this season. The Saulnier twins have already made their presence felt. X probably deserved a better fate this weekend.

(UPEI to play Acadia Sunday at 2pm)

St Mary's will be fine, I said as soon as the University Cup final ended last year that they would be the team to beat in the AUS this year, I dont have any reason to think they wont be top 3 by years end.

Its ironic that the most open critical person of UNB and pretty much saying without saying this rule (22 man roster limit) is installed to Limit what UNB can get away with doing as far as Recruiting goes, Trevor Steinburgh is kinda been hit hardest with the Injury bug. All the best to Him though, great guy, great coach, he will be back for sure.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
SMU has a very good team. I agree that they SHOULD be a top 3 this year. If Acadia gets decent goaltending, they will be in the mix as well. UNB is almost a given. SFX and UPEI have improved. UdeM lost some of their core guys, but the recruits have good credentials. I think that DAL and STU will finish 7-8 again, but I've been wrong many times in my life.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I saw the new-look UNB last night. I'm not sure they are as good as last years team, but aren't too shabby. SMU had a disastrous 1st period, won the 2nd and had a real good push back 3rd until the Thomas goal, which was NOT a good goal to give up. Peters is sorely missed in goal for the Huskies.

With the FISU deadline fast approaching, players like Peters, Vandall and Carroll need to get some games in to be considered for the team. Carroll is a lock for the team if he is able to play come mid-December even if he does not do the All Star game in 2 weeks.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Acadia 7 STU 2 - Tommies made a game of it for their first two periods before the Axemen scored five straight in the third period. Liam Heelis with the hat trick.

UPEI 2 Dal 1 - Low scoring affair on the Island for the Panthers home opener. Tigers still looking for their first win.

STFX 3 Moncton 2 - X gets their first win of the season. Robert Stanley with a couple of goals.

UNB 4 SMU 2 - Vreds stormed out to the three goal lead by the end of the first. Huskies didn't really get going until the third. Overall backup Black played well but the 4th goal he let in was a bit of a stinker. Mike Thomas has played better than I expected so far.

In other VReds related news they have added Philippe Maillet Victoriaville Tigers. Had a couple of assists in his debut.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
STU defeated Dal for the second time in a week for the battle for seventh place in the AUS. Much has been made of the Tommies demise but the Tigers have been almost as dismal these past few years.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
STU defeated Dal for the second time in a week for the battle for seventh place in the AUS. Much has been made of the Tommies demise but the Tigers have been almost as dismal these past few years.

The Tommies maybe battling for 7th in the long run, but they currently sit tied for 4th with UdeM and are ahead of StFX and SMU. I didn't see that coming. The benefit of playing Dal twice in the first two weekends - but still a positive.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I just read the Tommies goalie Jon Groenheyde has been suspended indefinitely for making contact with an official in Friday's game against Acadia. He's already missed one game. No word on the actual length.

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
I just read the Tommies goalie Jon Groenheyde has been suspended indefinitely for making contact with an official in Friday's game against Acadia. He's already missed one game. No word on the actual length.

I just checked the video and there is nothing at all. As soon as the goal is scored the cameraman moved right to center ice and didn't catch any of the "action".

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
AUS All-Star Game

There will be an AUS All-Star Game on Nov. 8th at STU's home rink - Grant-Harvey Centre.

AUS All-Star Game

This should be a good game - the Spring tryouts were great hockey.

The PR mentioned the last All-Star game was in 1999 - there was an All-Star vs Team Canada Jr double-header in 2002/03 at Acadia (Prep before the 2003WJ in Halifax).

Last edited:

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Team Canada

Well - you can't talk All-Star games without taking a stab at a team Roster.

Goalies:
Groenheyde (STU)
Mosher (ACD), plays on Olym. Ice
Lavigne (UNB)

Defense:
Owens (ACD)
Jenner (ACD) , I think he's Owen's partner + they both play Olym. Ice
Shutron (UNB)
Desnoyers (UNB)
Maione (UPEI)
Doornbosch (SMU)
McAvoy (SFX)
Groulx (UdeM)

Forwards
Culligan (UNB)
MacNeil (UNB)
Houde-Caron (UNB)
Kirkpatrick (SFX)
Bast (SFX)
Slaney (SFX)
Bloodoff (SMU)
Childerley (STU)
Heelis (ACD)
Faille (UdeM)
Dion (UdeM)
Theberge (Dal)

I only have 1 UPEI player - I think Forbie will have some pull to get 1 or 2 more on the team.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I think you will see a UPEI goaltender on the team. Either one.

Will be interesting to see coaches balance their normal stated desire to have veterans on the team (who've paid their dues in the AUS) vs. rookies having good seasons like Slaney (who of course is a former pro) and Childerley.

I believe Gardiner is still miffed about how they gave a young player (Dan Tundin maybe?) a chance last time and he bolted early for the pros.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Each team can only have 4 players, so you would have to cut a couple UNB guys Drummer. Plus, I think Carroll is a lock should he be healthy...don't know if there is room for MacNeil or Houde-Caron....although I think MacNeil is going to have a huge year and you need guys like Houde-Caron (but I think you can find a comparable guy from another team).

Can't see Lavigne there...Peters and either of the a UPEI guys are ahead of him IMO.

I also would think about putting D'Orazio on there.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
18 skaters and 3 goalies.

Groenheyde (STU)
Mosher (ACD)
Savage (UPEI)

Owens (ACD)
Shutron (UNB)
Maione (UPEI)
D'Orazio (SMU)
Traccitto(UPEI)
Groulx (UdeM)
McAvoy (SFX)

Culligan (UNB)
MacNeil (UNB)
Carroll (UNB)
Johnston (SMU)
Tanaka (SMU)
Bast (SFX)
Bloodoff (SMU)
Heelis (ACD)
Cazzola or Thompson (ACA)
Faille (UdeM)
Dion (UdeM)
Theberge or Joyce (Dal)

Edit: I'm thinking SFX should have 3 guys, so look for only 3 from ACA.

Last edited:

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
I'm excited for the weekend camp and All-Star game, I'll be there helping out with Serge LeBlanc, our head equipment guy who is heading to Italy with the team. It'll be my first "International" (hah!) experience, and likely my last also haha.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I believe Gardiner is still miffed about how they gave a young player (Dan Tundin maybe?) a chance last time and he bolted early for the pros.

Ian Turner (STU) and Brandon Roach (ACD) were rookie members of Team Canada who left for the pros the next season. In the tournament; Turner had 0G+3A and 6PMs in 6 games where Roach had 0G+3A and 2PMs in 5 games.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Each team can only have 4 players, so you would have to cut a couple UNB guys Drummer. Plus, I think Carroll is a lock should he be healthy...don't know if there is room for MacNeil or Houde-Caron....although I think MacNeil is going to have a huge year and you need guys like Houde-Caron (but I think you can find a comparable guy from another team).

Can't see Lavigne there...Peters and either of the a UPEI guys are ahead of him IMO.

I also would think about putting D'Orazio on there.

I knew the 'max of 4' rule, I just didn't bother to check my totals. Lavigne has been playing well, but I admit he's a long shot. Likely a goalie from the UPEI. Peters injury might leave him off - they leave in close to a month.

If you take Carroll (who is skating now BTW), I have to drop either MacNeil or Shutron/Desnoyer. I like Shutron because he's had international experince (4th WHC-U17 (Ontario) & 4th WJ-U18) and Desnoyer is a great skater and MacNeil is a great finisher.

My thoughts on Houde-Caron as well, great guy and we know him well, but there are other character guys from other teams who can play the same roll - we hope.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Tiger are 0-5 after 5-0 loss to Axemen.
Heelis and Cazzola both had 4 point nights. Dal has to improve in their own zone if they hope to win games.

If my sources are correct, Heelis, Cazzola, Owens and Morin will be attending the All Star game. Mosher will not......

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
UNB 4 Moncton 1 - VReds jump out to the quick 3-0 lead in an action packed first period. Les Aigles calmed down and played pretty good defence the rest of the game. I counted only one odd man rush for the VReds. Lavinge could have had a shutout but made a big time blunder for Les Aigles only goal.

SMU 4 STFX 1 - Huskies finally get a win on the road. Enter into a four way tie for 4th place with X, Tommies, and Les Aigles.

UPEI 10 STU 2 - Shots were actually pretty close. Tommies backup St. Arnaud obviously had a rough game giving up nine goals on 26 shots. Groenhyde's suspension is over and he should start on Wednesday. Cody McNaughton with the hat trick for the Panthers.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Any idea why they planned on having the All-Star Game this upcoming weekend as opposed to a couple of weeks from now? Still seems pretty early with teams only having played about 7 games up until that point...wouldn't it have made more sense to let teams play 10-12 games first? Or was that date the best option from a logistics standpoint?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad