Atlanta Jets Fans Official Game Bar

rkosheluk

Jan 12, 2013
Is there an official Winnipeg Jets game bar in Atlanta?

Being a native Winnipegger I never watched the Thrashers but was an insane Jets fan last year and would go to Tavern 99 last season (that bar is now closed) and watch games usually with the fans of the opposing teams.
There have to be other Jets fans here....where are the Jets fans????.....let's organize something...Let's find a location for an official Jets bar!!!!! First game is only a week away!!!!

videofarmer

thirsty
Sep 11, 2009
ATL
Dude, it's tough to even wear a Jets T-Shirt around here. BTW, most Thrashers fans aren't particularly fond of hockey fans living in Atlanta that wouldn't go to Thrashers games (looking at you Sabres, Penguins, RedWings, Leafs and Rangers fans that couldn't find work in your own cities).

GameCenter should be half price this season, right?

Lemon Lover

Forever in Blueland
Jun 19, 2010
Atlanta
Good luck organizing that. All of the old Thrasher fans I know are not following Winnipeg. Not because of any hard feelings towards the Peg, but more to do with wanting to route for their 'own' team, so to speak. As an old Thrasher fan it seems weird to me to not be at least a little interested in what those guys are doing, considering you watched them get drafted, saw them in prospect camp, etc. But, it is what it is. I think you're going to be fighting an impossible battle. Somewhat like to trying to keep the Thrashers in the ATL. :(

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I spent a lot fo time in Atlanta a few years ago when they had the team and it was hard finding a bar that showed hockey, Baseball, Basketball, Football, Nascar and all collage sports was easy--hockey not so much

rkosheluk

Jan 12, 2013
@Videofarmer and Thrashers94; if you know other Jets fans in ATL then why don't we try to find a bar relatively close to our respective homes and try it out and put out the word to other Jets fans?

I live right by Emory University and am close to anywhere in Buckhead or Decatur.

videofarmer

thirsty
Sep 11, 2009
ATL
My current favorite team is the Jets because I followed the Jets players for years. Because I'm still following the team, I'm also following the new players that come in to the system and the cycle continues. I went to hundreds of Thrashers games, now I watch the Jets on TV. I've watched the Jets live in Nashville and I will watch them live in North Carolina. I would love to come watch them in Winnipeg one day and get to be a part of that awesome crowd. I do not want to watch them in a bar in Atlanta with former Winnipegians who didn't like the Thrashers but love the Jets. Sorry. Not trying to offend, just trying to answer your question. Some will understand, some won't.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
My current favorite team is the Jets because I followed the Jets players for years. Because I'm still following the team, I'm also following the new players that come in to the system and the cycle continues. I went to hundreds of Thrashers games, now I watch the Jets on TV. I've watched the Jets live in Nashville and I will watch them live in North Carolina. I would love to come watch them in Winnipeg one day and get to be a part of that awesome crowd. I do not want to watch them in a bar in Atlanta with former Winnipegians who didn't like the Thrashers but love the Jets. Sorry. Not trying to offend, just trying to answer your question. Some will understand, some won't.
When/If you come to Winnipeg, I promise we'll head out for a couple beers then hopefully take in the game in the lower bowl 200 level, it's where the real magic happens.

EvilCoop

What year is it?
Nov 29, 2011
The Black Lodge
Only kind of related, but next May and June I'm likely going to be in Ottawa. If the Jets make the playoffs (which I honestly don't think is likely, but I'm still hoping) I'm probably going to need to find a place to watch. Would I need to find a Jets bar or would any sports bar have the games?

Bongo

Feb 7, 2007
Atlanta
If you're in the Emory area, the first place I would try is Twain's in Decatur.

Given the harsh words that took place in the Spring of '11 between the fans here and in Winnipeg, Jet supporters here in Atlanta probably keep a low profile.

I'll continue to hope for nothing but success for the team. The Jets fans I met in Nashville last year were fine folks but I'd rather join a bunch of old Thrashers fans who feel as I do about the players than a group of Jets fans. Good luck.

KevFist

is best pony
Oct 22, 2006
Birmingham, AL
www.mk837.com

Given the harsh words that took place in the Spring of '11 between the fans here and in Winnipeg, Jet supporters here in Atlanta probably keep a low profile.

I'll continue to hope for nothing but success for the team. The Jets fans I met in Nashville last year were fine folks but I'd rather join a bunch of old Thrashers fans who feel as I do about the players than a group of Jets fans. Good luck.

Unfortunately, this. Talk about a lot of misdirected anger going on. Sitting here almost two years later, it's much easier though.

Honestly, the Jets don't even feel like the Thrashers to me. even though it's a lot of the same playres and prospects, it just feels like there's a huge disconnect. I do enjoy coming here and reading y'all's thoughts though. There's a lot of really cool people around here.

Watching a game in Atlanta though? that would feel kinda like going on a double date with your new girlfriend, your ex wife, and her new husband. While enjoyable, it would be awkward

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Unfortunately, this. Talk about a lot of misdirected anger going on. Sitting here almost two years later, it's much easier though.

Honestly, the Jets don't even feel like the Thrashers to me. even though it's a lot of the same playres and prospects, it just feels like there's a huge disconnect. I do enjoy coming here and reading y'all's thoughts though. There's a lot of really cool people around here.

Watching a game in Atlanta though? that would feel kinda like going on a double date with your new girlfriend, your ex wife, and her new husband. While enjoyable, it would be awkward

That's really too bad. A few idiotic posters really made things ascerbic and poisoned between the two fan bases.

Honestly, I can relate to ATL fans that want nothing to do with the team. I would be 100% the same way. I am extremely happy though that we managed to keep a few Thrasher fans here.

Tintin's Ghost

May 28, 2007
Saskatoon
Only kind of related, but next May and June I'm likely going to be in Ottawa. If the Jets make the playoffs (which I honestly don't think is likely, but I'm still hoping) I'm probably going to need to find a place to watch. Would I need to find a Jets bar or would any sports bar have the games?

You would think any sports bar would show the NHL playoffs. Or be willing to change it over from whatever else is on. A series of TV's that offer NHL playoffs and the Blue Jays would be outstanding.

KevFist

is best pony
Oct 22, 2006
Birmingham, AL
www.mk837.com
That's really too bad. A few idiotic posters really made things ascerbic and poisoned between the two fan bases.

Honestly, I can relate to ATL fans that want nothing to do with the team. I would be 100% the same way. I am extremely happy though that we managed to keep a few Thrasher fans here.

ya know... If only one thing has come from the whole situation, I hope it's people have learned that Winnipeg isn't some Siberia hicktown outpost where everyone lives in igloos, and people in the Southeast actually do know a thing or two about hockey and don't need offsides explained all the time.

I think we've actually made pretty good progress on both those fronts. Of course, there'll always be a straggler or two.

I mean, I have heard Jet lives in a pretty snazzy Igloo! ;)
Now....Where did I put my Hockey for Dummies?

bigplay41*

May 5, 2010
Winnipeg
Totally understand how thrash fans feel. I hated the coyotes for years after the jets left. Now that we have a new team those feelings are non existent tho

Bongo

Feb 7, 2007
Atlanta
Totally understand how thrash fans feel. I hated the coyotes for years after the jets left. Now that we have a new team those feelings are non existent tho

I hold no ill will towards the team. They're the real winners in all of this. I still cheer them on but I don't consider myself a Jets fan.

videofarmer

thirsty
Sep 11, 2009
ATL
ya know... If only one thing has come from the whole situation, I hope it's people have learned that Winnipeg isn't some Siberia hicktown outpost where everyone lives in igloos, and people in the Southeast actually do know a thing or two about hockey and don't need offsides explained all the time.

I think we've actually made pretty good progress on both those fronts. Of course, there'll always be a straggler or two.

Dude, offside. Not sides...
Southerners, sheesh!

;)

Thrashers94

We fly as one
Mar 22, 2010
Atlanta
www.twitter.com
When the whole sale of the team was taking place back in spring '11 I stayed away from HFboards, facebook, twitter, you name it. I knew there was going to be some harsh things said by both Atlanta fans and 'Peg fans.

I really made up my mind on who to cheer for as soon as talk of the team being sold and moved came about... that I was going to support the Thrashers no matter where they ended up, whether it be in Atlanta, Seattle, Oklahoma City, Winnipeg, Quebec... it wouldn't of mattered what city they were in.

I've had nothing but a good experience with Winnipeg natives on here.

"We fly as one" :)

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Have to amit I cringed at the OP and not because it wasn't a sincere and friendly offer it's just I thought I wonder how I would have reacted in 1997 if a friendly stranger from Phoenix living in Winnipeg made the same type of offer "looking for a sports bar in Winnipeg to watch the Yotes game with former Jets fans"? I am sure there would have been a taker or two back then but for me I just wanted to forget the girlfriend that moved away with the rich guy to the sunny south. she was dead to me in her new form and I needed to grieve and move on. We all process it in different ways.

I know I am thrilled with having any fans who have stayed on from Atlanta....they are the gatekeepers to the players history and are all valued posters. In some ways with Centre Ice and HFboards it easier to stay connected now. back in the day our local radio station CJOB carried the Yotes games for a season or two but I couldn't do it....I felt like I was stalking my ex wife. I was just too devastated by the loss and it was compounded by the fact I thought they would never be back. I am an upbeat guy by nature but that entire episode left me gutted and bitter.

EvilCoop

What year is it?
Nov 29, 2011
The Black Lodge

The Igloo simply isn't feasible in Southern Manitoba, it simply exposes the inhabitant of said Igloo to the black flies. :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, I said some things about Atlanta fans which I regret immensely. The excitement of getting the Jets back (I waited despite all those Red Wings Stanley Cups) got the best of me, and if I could start all over, I hope and believe I would have acted differently.

KevFist

is best pony
Oct 22, 2006
Birmingham, AL
www.mk837.com
The Igloo simply isn't feasible in Southern Manitoba, it simply exposes the inhabitant of said Igloo to the black flies. :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, I said some things about Atlanta fans which I regret immensely. The excitement of getting the Jets back (I waited despite all those Red Wings Stanley Cups) got the best of me, and if I could start all over, I hope and believe I would have acted differently.

As we say down here, Ain't no thang! All water under the bridge.

Bongo

Feb 7, 2007
Atlanta
Kev you're more forgiving than I am. I would have thought if anybody could relate to losing their team through no fault of the fanbase it would be Winnipeg. Boy was I wrong.

Also, if you think this anti-southern bias has subsided, you obviously didn't follow any of the contraction/relocation threads on the Business side.

KevFist

is best pony
Oct 22, 2006
Birmingham, AL
www.mk837.com
Kev you're more forgiving than I am. I would have thought if anybody could relate to losing their team through no fault of the fanbase it would be Winnipeg. Boy was I wrong.

Also, if you think this anti-southern bias has subsided, you obviously didn't follow any of the contraction/relocation threads on the Business side.

My thing is no amount of bitterness is going to bring the Thrashers back. Yeah, I could stay angry. that would be easy. I've moved on though. I'm following the Preds more now.

All bitterness and hate do is make ya die faster...Since I've been eating the Southern diet for 32 years, I don't need anymore help dying quickly..LOL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad