News Article: Athletic "Dysfunction In The Desert" Story

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I don’t. I wish them and everyone who roots for them misery and utter failure. I will wish for that forever.
Please take a deep breath and look again. You might find a hockey community as startled as we were to find a team landing in our laps. It wasn’t like those Winnipeg and Hamilton asshats who tried to poach our team.

Reactions: kickback256

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
So Craig knew about all the Meruelo stuff for years but chose not to report it? :sarcasm:

Not everything..... but probably knew quite a bit. Got a feeling there's things he's still holding into.

Yep. Access, man. It'll make you crazy.

The unfortunate dark side of journalism.

The difference between Craig Morgan and Katie Strang is, Strang didn't need to keep a connection with the Coyotes and isn't going to care if she ruffles a few feathers.

OTOH Morgan has to keep that "insider" position and has to walk a fine line to maintain it.

I get the feeling that if Meruelo fails and the Coyotes return under a completely different ownership, Craig just might unload what he knows. But for now he has to keep to that line in case Meruelo does get the Coyotes reactivated.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Not everything..... but probably knew quite a bit. Got a feeling there's things he's still holding into.

The unfortunate dark side of journalism.

The difference between Craig Morgan and Katie Strang is, Strang didn't need to keep a connection with the Coyotes and isn't going to care if she ruffles a few feathers.

OTOH Morgan has to keep that "insider" position and has to walk a fine line to maintain it.

I get the feeling that if Meruelo fails and the Coyotes return under a completely different ownership, Craig just might unload what he knows. But for now he has to keep to that line in case Meruelo does get the Coyotes reactivated.
I thought Craig said very recently that he is looking into different writing endeavors. I don’t think he’s returning even if the Coyotes come back.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Exactly. Still worse than alleged unpaid hotel bills that people keep on harping about until the cows come home.
Most here try to give you the benefit of the doubt on being this obtuse but sometimes you just make it too hard Jakey. It's not about singular bills being missed being of the utmost importance but rather a pattern of this Owner acting in bad faith and with malice in regards to anyone not in his circle. And when that pattern is easily exposed it reflects poorly on the whole Organization.

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Most here try to give you the benefit of the doubt on being this obtuse but sometimes you just make it too hard Jakey. It's not about singular bills being missed being of the utmost importance but rather a pattern of this Owner acting in bad faith and with malice in regards to anyone not in his circle. And when that pattern is easily exposed it reflects poorly on the whole Organization.
Off of vague report with no verified details like how much, what hotels, and no employees of unnamed hotels coming forward.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Off of vague report with no verified details like how much, what hotels, and no employees of unnamed hotels coming forward.
No employee who wants to stay employed is going on the record, no hotel chain who wants nhl business is going on the record, and no team or league personnel are going on the record. And it's not one incident, while many here laughed at previous journalist's reports on this at the end of the day they were right and yet a few here still think denial is just a river in Egypt!!!

Reactions: GhostofTommyBolin

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Why would a hotel employee risk losing their job over this clown show?

Meruelo didn't pay his taxes in Glendale, didn't pay his players their bonuses on time, but somehow him not paying hotel bills isn't believable? Good grief. I'm about halfway to thinking you're Alex Jr. at this point.

P.S. I'm in comment jail on the other thread, but the NBA isn't going to say a word about removing Delta Center seats, the reno won't take 3-5 years, and Meruelo isn't even going to win the June 27 auction so there's no way an arena gets finished in the Valley before SLC does.

In fact, you shouldn't be surprised when he doesn't even bid in the auction.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Why would a hotel employee risk losing their job over this clown show?

Meruelo didn't pay his taxes in Glendale, didn't pay his players their bonuses on time, but somehow him not paying hotel bills isn't believable? Good grief. I'm about halfway to thinking you're Alex Jr. at this point.

P.S. I'm in comment jail on the other thread, but the NBA isn't going to say a word about removing Delta Center seats, the reno won't take 3-5 years, and Meruelo isn't even going to win the June 27 auction so there's no way an arena gets finished in the Valley before SLC does.

In fact, you shouldn't be surprised when he doesn't even bid in the auction.
A journalist that can't even name which hotel it was...a journalist won't lose their job for actually reporting or fact finding. Sure, whatever an employee wouldn't want to lose their job but there wasn't even a "source that isn't permitted to speak and will remain anonymous." wasn't even thrown in there. Even I could report junk if I didn't have to any facts anywhere in an article. Not one specific fact.

Go back and look at my profile, I've been here a lot longer than Alex Jr.

If you don't think that the NBA has a required amount of seats in their venues and that they wouldn't take acceptation to missing some of them at the Delta Center then you are wildly mistaken. Adam Silver has a lot more leverage than Gary and won't get pushed around by NHL.

I guess we will see what happens come auction time.

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
A journalist that can't even name which hotel it was...a journalist won't lose their job for actually reporting or fact finding. Sure, whatever an employee wouldn't want to lose their job but there wasn't even a "source that isn't permitted to speak and will remain anonymous." wasn't even thrown in there. Even I could report junk if I didn't have to any facts anywhere in an article. Not one specific fact.

If you don't think that the NBA has a required amount of seats in their venues and that they wouldn't take acceptation to missing some of them at the Delta Center then you are wildly mistaken. Adam Silver has a lot more leverage than Gary and won't get pushed around by NHL.
That's not how reporting works, or every single article ever written would include the words "source that isn't permitted to speak and will remain anonymous." It's understood by anyone with an 8th-grade education that sources have to remain anonymous. In the internet age, are there people who fabricate things for page hits? Sure. But no one doing that has any credibility, anyway and are dismissed with nary a consideration. Everyone on here shits on Seravelli but he's at least a known guy and he's not QuebecCityDeservesATeamandAZSucks reporting things on Twitter or somewhere.

If you want to keep thinking Silver is going to make a peep about seating, feel free if it somehow makes you believe in it more. I ain't gonna stop you. Silver already knew what the plan was before the wheels on this bus made a quarter-turn.

Last edited:

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
That's not how reporting works, or every single article ever written would include the words "source that isn't permitted to speak and will remain anonymous." It's understood by anyone with an 8th-grade education that sources have to remain anonymous. In the internet age, are there people who fabricate things for page hits? Sure. But no one doing that has any credibility, anyway and are dismissed with nary a consideration. Everyone on here shits on Seravelli but he's at least a known guy and he's not QuebecCityDeservesATeamandAZSucks reporting things on Twitter or somewhere.

If you want to keep thinking Silver is going to make a peep about seating, feel free if it somehow makes you believe in it more. I ain't gonna stop you. Silver already knew what the plan was before the wheels on this bus made a quarter-turn.
That is how reporting works and my point was that there wasn't even effort to try and make it sound legitimate by providing the ambiguous "anonymous" source. There are news articles produced by way bigger agencies on happening in the white house and government that even us "anonymous" sources, that everyone should question the credibility on that source. The article about owing money to an unnamed hotel didn't even go that far. What a joke.

Oh, are speaking on behalf of the NBA? You really don't think the NBA will say not one word about it? Have you read their NBA constitution? Clink link below and go to page 9 and tell me there wouldn't be an issue. There is a lot more to it than this excerpt.

"The Commissioner shall have the power from time to time (i) to establish minimum standards for the design, construction, and operation of NBA-quality arenas in areas related to the production and marketing of NBA basketball games and events; (ii) to establish minimum standards for the conditions under which NBA basketball and events are conducted, and to regulate the in-arena presentation of those games and events; (iii) to establish procedures for ensuring compliance with this Article 8; and (iv) to enforce such standards and procedures, including through the imposition of appropriate penalties. It shall be the responsibility of the Member, and not the responsibility of the Association, to ensure that the member's arena complies with all applicable statutes, regulations and ordinances."
https://ak-static-int.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2015/12/NBA-Constitution-and-By-Laws.pdf

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
That is how reporting works and my point was that there wasn't even effort to try and make it sound legitimate by providing the ambiguous "anonymous" source. There are news articles produced by way bigger agencies on happening in the white house and government that even us "anonymous" sources, that everyone should question the credibility on that source. The article about owing money to an unnamed hotel didn't even go that far. What a joke.

Oh, are speaking on behalf of the NBA? You really don't think the NBA will say not one word about it? Have you read their NBA constitution? Clink link below and go to page 9 and tell me there wouldn't be an issue. There is a lot more to it than this excerpt.

"The Commissioner shall have the power from time to time (i) to establish minimum standards for the design, construction, and operation of NBA-quality arenas in areas related to the production and marketing of NBA basketball games and events; (ii) to establish minimum standards for the conditions under which NBA basketball and events are conducted, and to regulate the in-arena presentation of those games and events; (iii) to establish procedures for ensuring compliance with this Article 8; and (iv) to enforce such standards and procedures, including through the imposition of appropriate penalties. It shall be the responsibility of the Member, and not the responsibility of the Association, to ensure that the member's arena complies with all applicable statutes, regulations and ordinances."
https://ak-static-int.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2015/12/NBA-Constitution-and-By-Laws.pdf
So there's more credibility if a writer actually says the source is anonymous? Okay. 🤣

I never said Silver couldn't say anything about it, I said he wouldn't. And he won't. He might be asked about it at some point, and his response will be a canned "The NBA board of governors has been in constant contact with Ryan Smith and everyone in Utah and there is no issue in regards to seating..." etc. Or something similar.

A source who will not be identified and will remain anonymous already told me Silver has been privy to the entire process and Smith's plans. I work in what I'll call building management, which keeps it vague enough for me, and it's a pretty small community of us when you really get down to brass tacks. Nothing is going to happen involving a problem with the NBA.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
So there's more credibility if a writer actually says the source is anonymous? Okay. 🤣

I never said Silver couldn't say anything about it, I said he wouldn't. And he won't. He might be asked about it at some point, and his response will be a canned "The NBA board of governors has been in constant contact with Ryan Smith and everyone in Utah and there is no issue in regards to seating..." etc. Or something similar.

A source who will not be identified and will remain anonymous already told me Silver has been privy to the entire process and Smith's plans. I work in what I'll call building management, which keeps it vague enough for me, and it's a pretty small community of us when you really get down to brass tacks. Nothing is going to happen involving a problem with the NBA.
So you are saying that they aren't credible at all because they don't even have an anonymous source. I agree.

And see, even you can do the job of "reporting" with vague and anonymous sources. Should send the to the BoH and you will likely see an article about it on one those "credible" news blogs soon.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
At this point…. Arguing over whether bills were unpaid or not is useless.

The NHL flat did not want to stay at Mullett because they were more worried about the optics of playoff games potentially being played over the next 3-5 years there with CBA negotiations around the corner than anything Meruelo was trying to accomplish.

There was another report coming from “sources within the league” that had the Coyotes been a bottom three team and 2-3 more years away from sniffing a playoff position that they would not have felt pressured to make this move and could have rode out the auction.

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
At this point…. Arguing over whether bills were unpaid or not is useless.

The NHL flat did not want to stay at Mullett because they were more worried about the optics of playoff games potentially being played over the next 3-5 years there with CBA negotiations around the corner than anything Meruelo was trying to accomplish.

There was another report coming from “sources within the league” that had the Coyotes been a bottom three team and 2-3 more years away from sniffing a playoff position that they would not have felt pressured to make this move and could have rode out the auction.
They don't watch much of their own league if they thought there might be Mullett playoff games in 2-3 years. 5 years, maybe, if defensive woes were addressed, and Meruelo exhibited nothing that would indicate he would address them.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I don’t often agree with Jakey, and I don’t often drink beer (and I’m not the most interesting man in the world):D
But before I pillory Meruelo, I want to see proof. I want to see leaked emails. I want to see sources go on the record. Otherwise, there is no way to defend against accusations that this stuff is a hit job with no basis in fact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad