News Article: Athletic "Dysfunction In The Desert" Story

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Miller’s comment about not being legally allowed to contact the kid he abused was new information. He needs to continue to do more before he even gets a sniff of a chance to play again.

Morgan writing an article is not horrific. Someone was going to write it. I didn't walk away with the impression he was justifying anything.

i don’t like Miller or what he did. Reporting on a story; especially this story considering what happened after the draft should not be a separate cancel culture story upon itself. At some point reporters need to just report. I think Craig did that here well. Is it a pulitzer article? No. Do i have to read it? Absolutely not. Do i agree with it? It doesn’t f***ing matter.

Now if you will excuse me i need to complain to someone about the quality of my avocado toast.

Last edited:

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Seems too soon for him to be publicly trying to demonstrate a turnaround. This was obviously pushed by his family/advisors, but there's no way any one would believe that he's made any serious inroads since the draft. It's been like 4 months. I think it's correct for people to be upset about this because of the short timeline. He needs to keep a low profile while behaving well for a lot longer, and probably shouldn't be trying to initiate interviews.
The short timeline you're referring to isn't a relevant timeline. Nothing has happened in that period other than public reaction. Miller's journey to redemption started in grade 8. He has a long way to go on that journey. I'm just pointing out that it isn't too soon for him clarify that he did apologize (a lot of speculation that he never apologized) and that he's not allowed to contact the kid.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Sorry..... I don't think so.

Craig knew fully well what the risks of such an article could be and he didn't need it to troll for subscribers. He set the conditions up front they were met.

I've been reading the crap being lobbed at him by idiots on Twitter (even a couple of blue check marked ones) who either didn't even read the article or only cherry picked what they wanted.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Sorry..... I don't think so.

Craig knew fully well what the risks of such an article could be and he didn't need it to troll for subscribers. He set the conditions up front they were met.

I've been reading the crap being lobbed at him by idiots on Twitter (even a couple of blue check marked ones) who either didn't even read the article or only cherry picked what they wanted.

We should probably spin this off into the Miller thread, but I'll just say this.

Morgan and Miller's camp became bedfellows for publicity. It's as simple as that. Miller wants to get his redemption story kickstarted so he can go back to playing hockey. Morgan wanted the scoop because he's an independent journalist dependent upon site traffic and subscriptions to stay afloat. Nobody else wanted to touch the story at this point, so why not?

Keep in mind I'm not making a value judgment on Miller or on Morgan here. It's simply how the sausage gets made, if you'll allow the Hamilton reference. When I was first starting out as a reporter, I got a lot of contacts from sources wanting to challenge a particular narrative; they knew I was young enough, hungry enough, and desperate enough for a high profile story that I would go easier on the spin and be more apt to publish their side of the story in more detail with less editing.

It's a win-win for both sides. Morgan gets an exclusive that none of the bigger outlets have that he can use as a carrot for more subs (otherwise, it'd be behind his Substack paywall), and Miller gets to tell his version of his story with less of the editorial scissors and spin doctoring applied than he'd face at bigger corporate outlets.

As for the Twitter critics, they're fresh off of lionizing Katie Strang because they didn't care to do due diligence on her story; why would they bother reading Morgan's story in-depth and judge afterwards when they can simply apply their normal superficial dunkapalooza routine to it?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I’m not cynical. Miller can do all the interviews he wants..... but nobody is going to give him an inch until they can see real actions from him to back it up. And there’s no guarantee even that can happen.

That’s just the reality of it.

A reputation is easy to get, and damn near impossible to get rid of.
I don’t think you read the article.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Miller’s comment about not being legally allowed to contact the kid he abused was new information. He needs to continue to do more before he even gets a sniff of a chance to play again.

Morgan writing an article is not horrific. Someone was going to write it. I didn't walk away with the impression he was justifying anything.

i don’t like Miller or what he did. Reporting on a story; especially this story considering what happened after the draft should not be a separate cancel culture story upon itself. At some point reporters need to just report. I think Craig did that here well. Is it a pulitzer article? No. Do i have to read it? Absolutely not. Do i agree with it? It doesn’t f***ing matter.

Now if you will excuse me i need to complain to someone about the quality of my avocado toast.
Not being allowed to contact was mentioned here many times when this story broke.

rt

May 13, 2004
We should probably spin this off into the Miller thread, but I'll just say this.

Morgan and Miller's camp became bedfellows for publicity. It's as simple as that. Miller wants to get his redemption story kickstarted so he can go back to playing hockey. Morgan wanted the scoop because he's an independent journalist dependent upon site traffic and subscriptions to stay afloat. Nobody else wanted to touch the story at this point, so why not?

Keep in mind I'm not making a value judgment on Miller or on Morgan here. It's simply how the sausage gets made, if you'll allow the Hamilton reference. When I was first starting out as a reporter, I got a lot of contacts from sources wanting to challenge a particular narrative; they knew I was young enough, hungry enough, and desperate enough for a high profile story that I would go easier on the spin and be more apt to publish their side of the story in more detail with less editing.

It's a win-win for both sides. Morgan gets an exclusive that none of the bigger outlets have that he can use as a carrot for more subs (otherwise, it'd be behind his Substack paywall), and Miller gets to tell his version of his story with less of the editorial scissors and spin doctoring applied than he'd face at bigger corporate outlets.

As for the Twitter critics, they're fresh off of lionizing Katie Strang because they didn't care to do due diligence on her story; why would they bother reading Morgan's story in-depth and judge afterwards when they can simply apply their normal superficial dunkapalooza routine to it?
Yeah? I think Craig wanted to actually cover the story. Unlike every other loser who just piled on. I think he wanted to do a good job. How novel.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

rt

May 13, 2004
Not being allowed to contact was mentioned here many times when this story broke.
I’ve been saying it’s the most likely thing since the first time he started getting hammered for it by half cocked hot heads without any information.

Craig Harris is garbage. Craig Morgan is great. If you asked me 12 months ago or five years ago, that would’ve been my opinion. I could not have a lower opinion of Craig Harris. He’s the worst.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Yeah? I think Craig wanted to actually cover the story. Unlike every other loser who just piled on. I think he wanted to do a good job. How novel.

Of course he wants to do a good job. He wouldn't have a career otherwise.

Reactions: RemoAZ

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
The same Folks that will follow this kid for Life will line up to demand a drug addict or psycho murderer get a 2nd chance. They are the perpetually offended. The Progressive SJW who is as far from progressive as one can get.

The new puritans of our society.

but mostly just useful idiots.

Reactions: RemoAZ

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Yes mentioned here. Not brought up by many pundits who were too busy taking shots of the 6 day old Coyotes scouting department that made the selection. Same with the efforts Miller had made through public service to atone for his actions. Stuff that was actually relevant to the situation instead of the pile on journalism that took place.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
"We are the angry mob
We read the papers everyday
We like who we like, we hate who we hate
But we're also easily swayed"

Sometimes the stories about the Yotes/etc remind me of this song by the Kaiser Chiefs. When the mob mentality sets in it's not about logic anymore.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I don’t think you read the article.

Yup, I did.... including where Craig writes how Miller’s written apology was sent to Isaiah’s family and the mother denied she ever received it.

Also read most of the comments directed at Craig for having the balls to write the story at all. That’s where my comment came from.

Last edited:

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
The same Folks that will follow this kid for Life will line up to demand a drug addict or psycho murderer get a 2nd chance. They are the perpetually offended. The Progressive SJW who is as far from progressive as one can get.

This thread provides an excellent opportunity to make broad generalizations about small groups of people.

ArizonaCoyotes19

May 28, 2008
Winnipeg
hockeylists.com
Screenshot_20210402-113524_Twitter.jpg

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
If this is true Strang should be fired to making the rounds like this was a current situation. If she did this to a more popular organization she would be.
Won't happen, instead they'll do a hatchet job on Dater.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I trust Dater a lot more than Strang.

I think around the league Dater would have a better reputation, he's been around forever. But The Athletic machine will side with their own

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
One thing for sure...... Dater has been a real pain in the ass over the years towards the Coyotes and their fans. For him to tweet that is something astounding.

He obviously knows something is about to drop.

OR *looks at date of tweet*

He's yanking everyone's chain...... which would be something he'd do.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad