ATD2018 - Draft Thread 3

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
A mere 18 hours before voting closed.

I was asked to collect votes. I wasn't told to send out reminder PMs too, but I decided to do so anyway after you (understandably) complained about not getting one.

Voting didn't close at a predetermined point. The only reason I closed it at the point I did was because the 11 ballots I received (5 after sending out the PMs) painted a picture all too clear:

Edmonton 2 ballots, Worcester 8 ballots [10/11 ballots because ResilientBeast couldn't vote on his own series]
Guards 2 ballots, New York 7 ballots [9/11 ballots because Johnny Engine and rmartin65 couldn't vote on their own series]
New Jersey 3 ballots, Kenora 8 ballots [11/11 ballots]
Pittsburgh 9 ballots, Toronto 1 ballot [10/11 ballots because ImporterExporter couldn't vote on his own series]​

I understand you're unhappy about being eliminated. But when you look at the numbers above, it's obvious that sending out the PMs a day earlier wouldn't have made a difference in your favour... I'm sorry to break that to you. But I'm only the messenger.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I was asked to collect votes. I wasn't told to send out reminder PMs too, but I decided to do so anyway after you (understandably) complained about not getting one.

Voting didn't close at a predetermined point. The only reason I closed it at the point I did was because the 11 ballots I received (5 after sending out the PMs) painted a picture all too clear:

Edmonton 2 ballots, Worcester 8 ballots [10/11 ballots because ResilientBeast couldn't vote on his own series]
Guards 2 ballots, New York 7 ballots [9/11 ballots because Johnny Engine and rmartin65 couldn't vote on their own series]
New Jersey 3 ballots, Kenora 8 ballots [11/11 ballots]
Pittsburgh 9 ballots, Toronto 1 ballot [10/11 ballots because ImporterExporter couldn't vote on his own series]​

I understand you're unhappy about being eliminated. But when you look at the numbers above, it's obvious that sending out the PMs a day earlier wouldn't have made a difference in your favour... I'm sorry to break that to you. But I'm only the messenger.

Normally I can understand how voting goes, but those results are just baffling to me.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
It has nothing to do with being eliminated. There are 1 or 2 teams left who would be worthy champions.

Its about a process where the votes of GMs who didnt read the threads counted and at least some of those who tried to read the threads didn't count.

That said, i get what you're saying about the results being not that close.

I've honestly never seen results that crazy before.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
We kicked off the Conference Finals last Wednesday, so I say we open voting tomorrow, through close of business Thursday night (or up until Theo posts the results) with results posted Friday by Theo.

That gives the remaining GM's another couple of days to post arguments and the rest of the week for people to view the matchups and vote.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
We kicked off the Conference Finals last Wednesday, so I say we open voting tomorrow, through close of business Thursday night (or up until Theo posts the results) with results posted Friday by Theo.

That gives the remaining GM's another couple of days to post arguments and the rest of the week for people to view the matchups and vote.

Fine.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Voted.

Saddest participation ive ever seen

Yeah, it's been underwhelming, which is a shame because I think this is by far the best team I've built to date and haven't really had any discussion since my opening series vs Jarek. I know a lot of people have busy lives but it definitely seems like the past 3 years has seen a drastic downturn in people caring about this part of the ATD.

The draft went really smoothly actually. I believe we had less skips then in years past. Trades were not an issue. We just get to the post draft portion and people vanish. I can understand to some degree those who didn't make the playoffs not having a big vested interest but it would be nice to see at least some dialogue by the Conference Finals.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
I did not have the energy to lift the matter myself, but maybe there would have been a greater following if that "losers playoff" mentioned in the draft thread ever got off the ground.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I did not have the energy to lift the matter myself, but maybe there would have been a greater following if that "losers playoff" mentioned in the draft thread ever got off the ground.

That makes sense for the people not involved. Why do the remaining GMs not seem to have discussions to present for their teams?

jarek

Aug 15, 2009

We tried that last year. It failed spectacularly.

At this point I am strongly in favour of doing the ATD every second year.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
7 ballots so far.

Today is the last day to get your votes in guys, preferably before midnight EST.

A little heads-up: since I live in CET zone (+5 from EST), it's 5 in the morning here when it's midnight in EST zone. I hope you understand I won't be counting votes and posting results at that time of night. The earliest time I'm going to do that is Friday before noon CET, so you can add a few hours to that midnight EST deadline.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
7 ballots so far.

A little heads-up: since I live in CET zone (+5 from EST), it's 5 in the morning here when it's midnight in EST zone. I hope you understand I won't be counting votes and posting results at that time of night. The earliest time I'm going to do that is Friday before noon CET, so you can add a few hours to that midnight EST deadline.

Completely understand. Just wanted to give people a timeframe to get their votes in. Hopefully we get some late activity.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
12 ballots received. Here are the Conference Finals results:

Red Fisher Conference

Worcester Railers vs New York Americans 3-4
Stars: Brad Park***, Terry Sawchuk **, Guy LaFleur*

Jim Coleman Conference

Kenora Thistles vs Pittsburgh Bankers 3-4 (game 7 in OT)
Stars: Wayne Gretzky***, Patrick Roy**, Bernie Geoffrion*

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Claude Giroux - Nels Stewart - Punch Broadbent
vs.
Sid Abel - Steven Stamkos - Rod Gilbert

One of these 2nd lines will hoist the cup. They are among the least likely to succeed this postseason due to lack of playoff hero experience and/or chemistry. They certainly aren't top-10 in this draft. The GMs clearly put a low priority on building their 2nd lines early.

Oh well. The teams are otherwise solid.

Have a good Finals!

Last edited:

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Claude Giroux - Nels Stewart - Punch Broadbent
vs.
Sid Abel - Steven Stamkos - Rod Gilbert

One of these 2nd lines will hoist the cup. They are among the least likely to succeed this postseason due to lack of playoff hero experience and/or chemistry. They certainly aren't top-10 in this draft. The GMs clearly put a low priority on building their 2nd lines early.

Oh well. The teams are otherwise solid.

Have a good Finals!

Giroux, sure.

But Stewart and Broadbent literally played together on the same line for 2 years in Montreal and WON THE 1926 CUP together, a playoff that saw Nels Stewart absolutely dominate. I agree neither line is loaded with playoff heroics but Stewart was a member of the '26 Cup winning team and Broadbent 4, (20, 21, 23, 26). Just pointing out that the bolded is pretty far from accurate.

Anyway, I wanted to congratulate @Hawkey Town 18 on a great series. Glad you could get at least some discussion in as I know you have a very busy life. I'm honored to have gone this far, against some really great veteran GM's along the way. And the finals provides another stiff test with @rmartin65 . Looking forward to a great finals!

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Congrats to both GM's on making the Finals. Good Luck!

Apologies to IE for not being more active in our series thread, and thanks to the other GM's who contributed.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
What does everyone think about time line for discussion and voting on the finals?

We only posted rosters last Friday so I think we should at least allow discussions to run through the rest of the week. Maybe open voting Friday morning and give people through Monday to vote. That gives us a full week of time for any debate and then Friday through Monday voting period with the results to be posted next Tuesday the 15?

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
What does everyone think about time line for discussion and voting on the finals?

We only posted rosters last Friday so I think we should at least allow discussions to run through the rest of the week. Maybe open voting Friday morning and give people through Monday to vote. That gives us a full week of time for any debate and then Friday through Monday voting period with the results to be posted next Tuesday the 15?

rmartin said before that he only has time on the weekends...it looks like there was a decent amount of discussion this weekend. If rmartin has more to say, I would give him the extra weekend and start voting on Monday the 14th, but if he's already made his arguments I think the above schedule is good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad