ATD2018 - Draft Thread 3

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
That also goes against the stated and generally accepted goal of the ATD - to find the best team.

This must be my first ATD because I have never heard anyone mention that as the goal of the draft.

The best overall team may not win a particular match-up or series.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
This must be my first ATD because I have never heard anyone mention that as the goal of the draft.

The best overall team may not win a particular match-up or series.

You missed the debate when that happened then. I think it was last prior to last ATD, when we decided to hide the rankings. The general feeling was that the best should always win.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
You missed the debate when that happened then. I think it was last prior to last ATD, when we decided to hide the rankings. The general feeling was that the best should always win.

Hiding the ranking was designed to increase upsets, which is the opposite of ensuring we get the best team.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Hiding the ranking was designed to increase upsets, which is the opposite of ensuring we get the best team.

Hiding the rankings was done as a way to appease those who felt enough upsets weren't happening. Most people seemed to be behind the idea that the best team should always win.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Hiding the rankings was done as a way to appease those who felt enough upsets weren't happening. Most people seemed to be behind the idea that the best team should always win.

If that's what most people wanted, why did the majority win the vote to create more upsets?

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Voting is now open for the regular season of the ATD and will close on Sunday, April 1st at midnight EST. Please send your votes to @Theokritos.

Please vote for each division separately. You may, if you wish, compare the teams to teams outside of their divisions in order to rank them, but this is neither required nor encouraged.

Reactions: Habsfan18

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Any standard way to determine the divisional standings? I don't really remember last year. 3 points for each time a team is #1 on a ballot, 2 points for #2, 1 point for #3?

Reactions: VanIslander

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Just voted.

Took almost two hours.:laugh:

Surprisingly, having just three teams can make things very difficult in divisions with three teams one is impressed by, or three teams one are meh over. (And with eight divisions, some took 5 minutes, others 20 minutes.)

When there are eight teams in a division, one doesn't sweat the difference between 2nd or 3rd seeding, but here the difference between 2nd and 3rd is playoffs or no playoffs!!

Reactions: Habsfan18

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
There's one division where a 2nd place team will make the playoffs and I think only one of three ought to!

Oh well, c'est la vie. The NHL have had tough divisions that teams have found it impossible to get out of, facing such tough opposition whereas other divisions have been weak and teams have gotten free rides to the playoffs (e.g., early modern NHL expansion).

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Hopefully everyone involved in the draft turns in their ballot. It’s been pretty quiet here since the draft ended, myself included as I have been fairly busy.

What happens if Sunday night comes and we’re still waiting on a bunch of people? Is everyone usually reliable enough to send in their votes with these ATD’s?

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Hopefully everyone involved in the draft turns in their ballot. It’s been pretty quiet here since the draft ended, myself included as I have been fairly busy.

What happens if Sunday night comes and we’re still waiting on a bunch of people? Is everyone usually reliable enough to send in their votes with these ATD’s?

As long as we have at least half the total number of expected votes, I'm prepared to move on. Otherwise, we might have to wait.

Reactions: VanIslander

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
As long as we have at least half the total number of expected votes, I'm prepared to move on. Otherwise, we might have to wait.

Maybe we can get the thread title updated as well, asking for everyone to send in their votes? I know some users have stated in the past that they didn’t realize they had received a PM.

I just hope everyone realizes the voting deadline is technically tomorrow. We haven’t heard from some people for 3 weeks now. Some didn’t bother to even post their rosters in the divisional threads.

Last edited:

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Maybe we can get the thread title updated as well, asking for everyone to send in their votes? I know some users have stated in the past that they didn’t realize they had received a PM.

I just hope everyone realizes the voting deadline is technically tomorrow. We haven’t heard from some people for 3 weeks now. Some didn’t bother to even post their rosters in the divisional threads.

That's how it goes around this time. Most people like the draft part and don't care much for post-draft stuff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad