ATD2018 - Draft Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
I watch the Caps semi frequently

Not including the current season, Backstrom has played 734 games and 728 points, of those 728 points 540 of them are assists.

Of those 540 assists 247 of them are on the powerplay

45.7% of his assist total comes from the power play, and especially passing it to a practical guarantee in Ovechkin.

33.9% of his total points are power play assists.

His voting record for AST is not crazy great which is slightly suspect.

So our concerns are valid, but by all means make another post saying I don't understand why Nicklas Backstrom goes so far behind *insert playmaking center here*

Please point out the remaining elite ES scorers once they are drafted. What rounds this? 12th round. Why don't you carry out a powerplay/even strength analysis of Sid Abel? Oh that's right the statistics aren't available once again proving my point about modern players getting shafted in the ATD (although it's getting better compared to the past five or so years when I first started making this point).

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Backstrom has been really good on the powerplay. Worthy of being on an ATD first unit in my opinion, and better than a lot of offensive centres picked before home. He moves the puck very intelligently and gets a lot of second assists where the second assist was deserved because the pass broke down the defence.

But I wouldn’t put him on a first or second line here.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Please point out the remaining elite ES scorers once they are drafted. What rounds this? 12th round. Why don't you carry out a powerplay/even strength analysis of Sid Abel? Oh that's right the statistics aren't available once again proving my point about modern players getting shafted in the ATD (although it's getting better compared to the past five or so years when I first started making this point).

Sid Abel what a weird player to pick on.

Nicklas Backstrom has as many 3rd in AST voting as Abel has Hart Trophies

Abel has as many 1st in AST voting as Backstrom has top 5

Abel has more Stanley Cups than Backstrom has conference finals

Reactions: rmartin65

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
I think mark has a point about contemporary players having a harder time in the ATD than historical players. But... I think there was an easier target than Abel (and not just because he is my player this year, haha). For example- Abel was a 2nd team AS before Howe starting making his mark on the league. When Backstrom has any post-season accolades without Ovechkin, let me know.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
He's not a bad pick to be clear, his resume is worthy of being drafted around here.

But by the sounds of it a lot of people were interested but had concerns nothing less nothing more

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
Sid Abel what a weird player to pick on.

Nicklas Backstrom has as many 3rd in AST voting as Abel has Hart Trophies

Abel has as many 1st in AST voting as Backstrom has top 5

Abel has more Stanley Cups than Backstrom has conference finals

First centre who came to mind who had a dominant winger who could potentially and most likely inflate their stats.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
A little more about Backstrom’s PP performance.

Since he entered the league in 07-08, Washington has converted at a 22.2% clip. The second team over that time is San Jose (20.9%). Washington has been the #1 power play over a decade with clear separation. There have been some pretty great offensive teams with great offensive stars that didn’t have a powerplay decade like that.

It’s been an all-time great unit and there’s lots of credit to go around. One man doesn’t make a power play and both Ovechkin and Backstrom should get a lot of credit.

Ovechkin and Backstrom are #1 and #2 in power play points among players over the same decade.

I should add that Washington’s PP has only been 18.6% in 97 playoff games...which is why they may not be rated as highly as some other great PP units.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
A little more about Backstrom’s PP performance.

Since he entered the league in 07-08, Washington has converted at a 22.2% clip. The second team over that time is San Jose (20.9%). Washington has been the #1 power play over a decade with clear separation. There have been some pretty great offensive teams with great offensive stars that didn’t have a powerplay decade like that.

It’s been an all-time great unit and there’s lots of credit to go around. One man doesn’t make a power play and both Ovechkin and Backstrom should get a lot of credit.

Ovechkin and Backstrom are #1 and #2 in power play points among players over the same decade.

I think both deserve a lot of credit for it, it's just hard to say how much for each.

In the ATD, it would make it a lot easier if Backstrom was passing to an elite goal scorer. I think he's going to carry that stigma forever.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Tell Velo to take his time.

I'm heading offline for an hour or two. I'll make my pick when I return (assuming he's picked by then).

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
How much time is left on Velo's clock?

(He has an hour deduction already.)

EDIT: I think he has 2 hours, 50 minutes. Can someone confirm?

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
41qLUIEp6rL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

... is in the house!

Reactions: Velociraptor

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
I think both deserve a lot of credit for it, it's just hard to say how much for each.

In the ATD, it would make it a lot easier if Backstrom was passing to an elite goal scorer. I think he's going to carry that stigma forever.
Passing the puck to Babe Dye is about as good as it gets for a guy like Backstrom. I mean...I think probably quite a few GMs thought about or discussed taking Backstrom before he was actually selected - his offensive numbers stand out that much - and there are legitimate reasons why he got taken here and not earlier...but on the other hand, he could hardly ask for a better winger in the ATD that Babe Dye.

Obviously, the LW on that line is going to have a heavy burden on his shoulders with those two as there is almost no physicality and precious little defense between them, but that's the nucleus of a really dangerous 3rd scoring unit, for sure. Don't let them have the puck.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Passing the puck to Babe Dye is about as good as it gets for a guy like Backstrom. I mean...I think probably quite a few GMs thought about or discussed taking Backstrom before he was actually selected - his offensive numbers stand out that much - and there are legitimate reasons why he got taken here and not earlier...but on the other hand, he could hardly ask for a better winger in the ATD that Babe Dye.

Obviously, the LW on that line is going to have a heavy burden on his shoulders with those two as there is almost no physicality and precious little defense between them, but that's the nucleus of a really dangerous 3rd scoring unit, for sure. Don't let them have the puck.

I thought about taking him when I took Fredrickson. Backstrom is an underrated two-way player and as far as his intangibles go, that's easily his greatest asset. He didn't really work for my plans on the PP though.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
I thought about taking him when I took Fredrickson. Backstrom is an underrated two-way player and as far as his intangibles go, that's easily his greatest asset. He didn't really work for my plans on the PP though.
Yeah, I know he can check a little bit, but still...neither of the two had any real grit (unless I am forgetting something about Babe Dye...), and if Nik Backstrom's backchecking is all of the intangibles you've got out of the two-player scoring nucleus of a line, that third guy is going to have to carry a fair amount of water for you.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Yeah, I know he can check a little bit, but still...neither of the two had any real grit (unless I am forgetting something about Babe Dye...), and if Nik Backstrom's backchecking is all of the intangibles you've got out of the two-player scoring nucleus of a line, that third guy is going to have to carry a fair amount of water for you.

Oh, Backstrom is mostly a black hole in the physicality department I believe. I believe Babe Dye is pretty much a black hole in the non-scoring department, period. I agree, that LW is going to have his work cut out for him, even if that line is going to be offensively dominant while they control the puck. I'd just be worried about their ability to get the puck back if they lose it.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Oh, Backstrom is mostly a black hole in the physicality department I believe. I believe Babe Dye is pretty much a black hole in the non-scoring department, period. I agree, that LW is going to have his work cut out for him, even if that line is going to be offensively dominant while they control the puck. I'd just be worried about their ability to get the puck back if they lose it.
Well yeah...a lot of that will fall on the LW and the defensemen when that line is out there. Dunno who will end up on the LW, but that Halifax team has some pretty rough defensemen thus far, so that may take some of the pressure off depending on which pairings that line skates with and who they draft for their bottom pairing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad