ATD Redux Playoffs - Finals: Brooklyn Americans (1) vs. Nova Scotia Voyageurs (5)

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Brooklyn Americans

coach Tommy Ivan

Ted Lindsay - Sid Abel (C) - Gordie Howe
Herbie Lewis - Marty Barry - Bernie Morris
Zach Parise - Patrice Bergeron (A) - Ron Ellis
Rusty Crawford - Ryan Getzlaf - Bill Guerin

Victor Hedman - Earl Seibert
Harvey Pulford (A) - Harry Cameron
Vitali Davydov - Flash Hollett
Vasili Pervukhin

Charlie Gardiner
Chuck Rayner

PP1: Ted Lindsay - Sid Abel - Gordie Howe - Harry Cameron - Flash Hollett
PP2: Marty Barry - Ryan Getzlaf - Bernie Morris - Earl Seibert - Victor Hedman

PK1: Patrice Bergeron - Herbie Lewis - Harvey Pulford - Earl Seibert
PK2: Rusty Crawford - Gordie Howe - Vitali Davydov - Victor Hedman

Coach: Hap Day
Captain: Mario Lemieux
Assistant: Bill Cook
Assistant: Dit Clapper

Tommy Phillips - Mario Lemieux - Bill Cook
Dany Heatley - Nicklas Backstrom - Helmuts Balderis
Clark Gillies - Jonathan Toews - Mike Gartner
Rick Martin - Pat Lafontaine - Odie Cleghorn
Nate MacKinnon
Lynn Patrick

Guy Lapointe - Dit Clapper
Lionel Conacher - Jack Crawford
Barry Beck - Bobby Rowe
Dave Burrows

Glenn Hall
Hap Holmes

PP1:
Clapper
Lemieux - Cook - Backstrom
Lapointe

PP2:
Balderis
Heatley - Lafontaine - Martin
L. Conacher

PK1: Toews, Phillips, Lapointe, Clapper
PK2: Cleghorn, Gartner, L. Conacher, Crawford

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Marvel at those line-ups!

Both are deserving champions, great picks from rounds of the last all-time draft.

(Though they have the most underwhelming 30-minute-a-game top pairing defensemen in our draft. Seriously. Not a top-15 defenseman in sight in an 8-team ATD.)

Last edited:

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Vg7 20Va7 20Vp7 202021 ATDR TEAM
Gordie Howe65.580125.5brook
Ted Lindsay48.478.4104.4brook
Marty Barry45.655.989.6brook
Sid Abel38.866.987.3brook
Ryan Getzlaf6583.7brook
Herbie Lewis33.65175brook
Zach Parise37.970.9brook
Patrice Bergeron31.968brook
Earl Seibertbrook
Victor Hedman48.6brook
Charlie Gardinerbrook
Harry Cameronbrook
Harvey Pulfordbrook
Tommy Ivanbrook
Bernie Morrisbrook
Flash Hollettbrook
Rusty Crawfordbrook
Vitaly Davydovbrook
Ron Ellis34.4brook
Bill Guerin36.8brook
Chuck Raynerbrook
Vasili Pervukhinbrook
Mario Lemieux54.582.3119.8NS
Bill Cook52.75096NS
Nicklas Backstrom71.787.7NS
Dany Heatley42.151.281NS
Lynn Patrick36.553.879.4NS
Pat Lafontaine4147.578.5NS
Dit Clapper37.948.973.7NS
Jonathan Toews36.147.473.7NS
Rick Martin42.673.1NS
Nathan Mackinnon56.680.1
Mike Gartner41.668.8NS
Glenn HallNS
Guy Lapointe46.6NS
Lionel ConacherNS
Tommy PhillipsNS
Jack CrawfordNS
Helmut BalderisNS
Hap DayCoachNS
Clark GilliesNS
Barry BeckNS
Bobby RoweNS
Odie CleghornNS
Hap HolmesNS
Dave BurrowsNS
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
VsX7 Pts (VsX7 goals)

Ted Lindsay 104.4 (48.4g) - Sid Abel 87.3 (38.8g) - Gordie Howe 125.5 (65.6g) - true linemates
Herbie Lewis 75 (33.6g) - Marty Barry 89.6 (45.6g) - Bernie Morris - true linemates?
Zach Parise 70.9 (37.9g) - Patrice Bergeron 68 (31.9g) - Ron Ellis (34.4g)
Rusty Crawford - Ryan Getzlaf (83.7) - Bill Guerin (36.8g)

Tommy Phillips (31st winger all-time; best 2way of era, speed, shot) - Mario Lemieux 119.8 (54.5g) - Bill Cook 96 (52.7g) (52.7g)
Dany Heatley 81 (42.1g) - Nicklas Backstrom 87.7 (71.7a) - Helmuts Balderis
Rick Martin 73.1 (42.6g) - Pat Lafontaine 78.5 (41g) - Mike Gartner 68.8 (41.6g)
Clark Gillies / Nate MacKinnon (80.1) - Jonathan Toews 73.7 (36.1g) - Odie Cleghorn

Last edited:

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
First line I think it's a wash even though you've very impressively reunited the Production Line. For me Mario = Howe, Cook = Lindsay (if not edge Cook) and Phillips = Abel. If Mario and Cook played together they'd have even bigger numbers, and remove Abel from those two and there's a steep decline. I think my Gillies - Toews - Odie Cleghorn line has just as good a chance limiting the damage of the Production Line as you have of stopping my top line. In any matchup scenario, including power vs power, I don't see any edge here. Both my top two D units (Lapointe-Clapper, Conacher-Crawford) are well built to deal with Gordie and company.

Second line, I think you reunited those three? What gives me an edge imho is that Balderis's peak was best player in Russia a few years, correct me if I'm wrong. I think that gives my line more scoring punch? I'll leave this one to the experts.

I also like my third line firepower and open ice speed over yours - it has the feel and same level of skill/playmaking/scoring of the French Connection.

Fourth line I will try to match up vs Production line when it's not power vs power vs my top line. MacKinnon might get some ozone starts or starts after our top two lines have matched up and are on the bench, but I'll rely on Gillies paired with either Lionel Conacher or Lapointe to try to deal with Gordie on that wing. If you get last change, I still have Beck on that side, but I obviously will do everything to avoid that. I feel Toews can skate rings around Abel and is easily just as tough and Mario will ride roughshod over Abel. On my right side I am built to deal with Lindsay as well with Dit Clapper and Black Jack Crawford.

In nets I love Gardiner's peak, but have to go with Glenn Hall. And Hap Day did nothing but win and ran a Leaf dynasty.

My top four on defense are Lapointe-Clapper, Conacher-Crawford. I think very slight edge to my defense and toughness but I think you have the edge offensively, which is balanced by my slight overall edge offensively up front.

Special teams both look awesome to me.

Looks very close to me, but I see a scoring edge for me and a defensive edge on my blueline and in nets. I also drafted with leadership in mind: Lemieux, Cook, Clapper, Conacher, Toews, Crawford, Lafontaine.

I'll wait for more learned minds to help fill out this impression.

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
First line I think it's a wash even though you've very impressively reunited the Production Line. For me Mario = Howe, Cook = Lindsay (if not edge Cook) and Phillips = Abel. If Mario and Cook played together they'd have even bigger numbers, and remove Abel from those two and there's a steep decline. I think my Gillies - Toews - Odie Cleghorn line has just as good a chance limiting the damage of the Production Line as you have of stopping my top line. In any matchup scenario, including power vs power, I don't see any edge here. Both my top two D units (Lapointe-Clapper, Conacher-Crawford) are well built to deal with Gordie and company.

Second line, I think you reunited those three? What gives me an edge imho is that Balderis's peak was best player in Russia a few years, correct me if I'm wrong. I think that gives my line more scoring punch? I'll leave this one to the experts.

I also like my third line firepower and open ice speed over yours - it has the feel and same level of skill/playmaking/scoring of the French Connection.

Fourth line I will try to match up vs Production line when it's not power vs power vs my top line. MacKinnon might get some ozone starts or starts after our top two lines have matched up and are on the bench, but I'll rely on Gillies paired with either Lionel Conacher or Lapointe to try to deal with Gordie on that wing. If you get last change, I still have Beck on that side, but I obviously will do everything to avoid that. I feel Toews can skate rings around Abel and is easily just as tough and Mario will ride roughshod over Abel. On my right side I am built to deal with Lindsay as well with Dit Clapper and Black Jack Crawford.

In nets I love Gardiner's peak, but have to go with Glenn Hall. And Hap Day did nothing but win and ran a Leaf dynasty.

My top four on defense are Lapointe-Clapper, Conacher-Crawford. I think very slight edge to my defense and toughness but I think you have the edge offensively, which is balanced by my slight overall edge offensively up front.

Special teams both look awesome to me.

Looks very close to me, but I see a scoring edge for me and a defensive edge on my blueline and in nets. I also drafted with leadership in mind: Lemieux, Cook, Clapper, Conacher, Toews, Crawford, Lafontaine.

I'll wait for more learned minds to help fill out this impression.

My biggest disagreements:

1) I think Abel was probably better than Phillips, perhaps a lot better. Phillips is such a hard player to get a read on, because he only played the single season in the best league in the world - the ECHA, where he was quite good, but not otherwordly:

Russell BowieVictorias1031
Marty WalshOttawa928
Tommy PhillipsOttawa1026
Charles PowerQuebec1023
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Beyond that, in his short career, he was generally among the leaders in the MHL, but that league was so weak, he really should have been dominating.

On the other hand, Phillips sure was great in Stanley Cup Challenges, so he was a "clutch" player at least.

I'm pretty sure I was the first one to ever use Phillips on a 1st line in the ATD, and I used him as a defensive conscience on a left-wing lock team. His offensive credentials are just so... confusing.

But anyway, my point is that his career was quite short, and his regular season stats at least are inconclusive.

2) I like Marty Barry the most, among 2nd line players.

Anyway, in terms of strategy, I think it's pretty clear that Lemieux-Cook is Nova Scotia's biggest strength. So Tommy Ivan would definitely do well to focus on them. They are going to see lots of Patrice Bergeron, perhaps with Rusty Crawford as his winger (dropping Parise to the 4th line).

Brooklyn has a trio of big, strong defensemen in Seibert, Hedman, and Pulford, who won't allow themselves to be physically pushed around by Bill Cook. (Luckily the puny Harry Cameron is playing the right side, where he'd rarely face Cook in a one-on-one).

Reactions: tinyzombies

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
My biggest disagreements:

1) I think Abel was probably better than Phillips, perhaps a lot better. Phillips is such a hard player to get a read on, because he only played the single season in the best league in the world - the ECHA, where he was quite good, but not otherwordly:

Russell BowieVictorias1031
Marty WalshOttawa928
Tommy PhillipsOttawa1026
Charles PowerQuebec1023
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Beyond that, in his short career, he was generally among the leaders in the MHL, but that league was so weak, he really should have been dominating.

On the other hand, Phillips sure was great in Stanley Cup Challenges, so he was a "clutch" player at least.

I'm pretty sure I was the first one to ever use Phillips on a 1st line in the ATD, and I used him as a defensive conscience on a left-wing lock team. His offensive credentials are just so... confusing.

But anyway, my point is that his career was quite short, and his regular season stats at least are inconclusive.

2) I like Marty Barry the most, among 2nd line players.

Anyway, in terms of strategy, I think it's pretty clear that Lemieux-Cook is Nova Scotia's biggest strength. So Tommy Ivan would definitely do well to focus on them. They are going to see lots of Patrice Bergeron, perhaps with Rusty Crawford as his winger (dropping Parise to the 4th line).

Brooklyn has a trio of big, strong defensemen in Seibert, Hedman, and Pulford, who won't allow themselves to be physically pushed around by Bill Cook. (Luckily the puny Harry Cameron is playing the right side, where he'd rarely face Cook in a one-on-one).

How do you compare the relative strengths of the lines?

Playing with Lemieux is steps up from Boucher, so Cook's ratings get a boost, same for Phillips as does having Lapointe-Clapper and Conacher-Crawford.. Crawford allows Lionel to expand his offense and physicality. That must get me close at least.

The strength of my top 6 and top 4 is puck possession I feel. I have good size and skill. Production Line does as well obviously. Amd his top 3.

I think our checking lines are similar but I have a touch more offense? Also, with Gillies, Toews, Cleghorn, Beck, and my Big Four I have an overall edge in toughness?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad