HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017
Bondurant:

Motor City Wrestling presents Clash at Cobo

Live from Cobo Arena

Commentary: Gorilla Monsoon & Jesse “The Body” Ventura

Interviews: Bob Uecker

Monsoon: “Welcome everybody to action an packed night at Cobo Arena. We have an amazing seven match card. All belts will be on the line tonight. Joining me as always is Jesse “The Body” Ventura.”

Ventura: “Good evening, Gorilla. I can tell you are just as eager as I am to see “Rowdy” Roddy Piper take care of Terry Funk in the steel cage.”

Monsoon: “Only you would think that, Jesse. After recent events there is bound to be little sympathy for Piper tonight in the Motor City.”

Ventura: “You know what, Gorilla? I may not always agree with the methods of Roddy Piper but have you ever listened to Great Texan and Texas Bronco? My ears will never forgive me. Don’t under estimate the power of Piper in Motown. This is a city the produces real music and real automobiles. Piper is a man of the people.”

Monsoon: “Ladies and Gentlemen, the Body. Luckily his commentary skills are often better than his opinions. That aside , ladies and gentlemen, as mentioned earlier we have an action packed card. The tag team champions Dick the Bruiser and Da Crusher will defend their titles against Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard. Television champion MJF with IRS at his side must withstand another challenge from Taz.

Ventura: “A fine young man that MJF. Smart too. Never leaves home without his trusted advisor.”

Monsoon: “World Heavyweight Champion Kenta Kobashi squares off against Walter in what will be an explosive match. The night will finish in the aforementioned cage match pitting Terry Funk against Roddy Piper and it will not be for the feint of heart. We might end up with a bloodbath on our hands.”

Ventura: “Piper ain’t got time to bleed.”

Monsoon: “Also stay tuned throughout the night for backstage interviews with all of your favorite stars by Mr. Baseball himself, Bob Uecker. We are about to get ready. Joins us ringside as we kick off with an 8-man tag team match.”

Danhausen/Koko B. Ware/Mikey Whipwreck/J.T. Smith vs FBI (Little Guido, Tracy Smothers, Tommy Rich & Big Sal E Graziano)

Danhausen has become a rising fan favorite in MCW with his special brand of evil. Little Guido and the FBI, however, have not been pleased with his rise. Some might say they are even jealous about the accolades Danhausen has received. The FBI has made it a point to be a thorn in his side. Little did they know Danhausen has a posse of his own. Koko B. Ware, Mikey Whipwreck and the original Full Blooded Italian, J.T. Smith.

Nick Bockwinkel vs Bobo Brazil

Two legends of the squared circle will tango for the first time. Beverly Hills Bockwinkel is a wonder in the ring but the man is a snake. The crowd tonight will be behind the pride of Benton Harbor. Two titans will collide but only one will prevail in the Motor City.

Tiger Mask vs Tyler Bate

No bad blood or feud between Tiger Mask and Tyler Bate. Two of the best hands in MCW have been drawn together tonight to put on a wrestling clinic for the true wrestling fans.

Tag Team Championship: Dick the Bruiser & The Crusher (C) vs Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard

The champions are blue collar bruisers. The drink beer, kick ass and dance a mean polka like no others. Tonight they face their biggest challenge of their championship reign. Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard will not match them in brawn and muscle but they are masters in the ring and will pull out no stops to win their first taste of gold tonight.

Television Championship: MJF (C) with IRS vs Taz

Taz is the Television Champion in the eyes of many. Just a few weeks ago the Tazmission was in place and MJF tapped. Unfortunately for Taz the referee was distracted at ring side by IRS. When Taz attempted to restore order he was greeted by a blow to the face from a steel plated briefcase. He won the match by disqualification and the Television Championship remained with MJF who made a cowardly exit with IRS. Tonight Taz is hell bent of delivering pain and vengeance and leaving Cobo as Television Champion.

Heavyweight Championship: Kenta Kobashi (C) vs Walter

Kobashi has reigned atop MCW for 18 months. Tonight he will stand face-to-face with Der Ring General. Walter has dominated the completion in MCW thus far and has yet to have his shoulders pinned to the mat 1-2-3. Tonight will be his first shot at MCW gold. Kobashi is a tried and true veteran with victories over legends in the pro wrestling world but will be able to contain the preeminent rising force in the world of professional wrestling?

Cage Match: “Rowdy” Roddy Piper vs Terry Funk

The madness must end tonight. It will take a cage to tame Piper and Funk. The Rowdy One has been a thorn in Funk’s side for months. Piper has been tormenting the Funks. He has been a cockroach that Funk cannot kill. Their rivalry has produced bouts marred by blood and disqualification and count outs all across the country. Things finally boiled over just a few short weeks ago when Piper blindsided Dory Funk Jr. on an episode of Piper’s Pit. The attack resulted in a broken arm for Dory and sociopathic satisfaction for Piper. A cage is needed to settle this score. Piper cannot run, cannot have a goon interfere or resort to ring side weaponry. Will Piper face comeuppance or will the black cloud linger upon the Funks. Dory Funk Jr. will be joining Monsoon and Ventura at ringside.

-VS-

GKJ:

Pennsylvania Championship Wrestling presents:

Wrestlevania 6!

live, as always, from Philadelphia, PA

match 1.png

1. Bobby Lashley vs. Antonio Inoki (w/ MVP)
Singles Match

The curtain-jerker for this year's show features a never-thought-of match, as MVP ups the ante a whole lot in his mission to take down his former client. Antonio Inoki makes his return to PCW at his behest to matchup with the imposing Bobby Lashley.

match 2.png

2. Natalya & AJ Lee (c) vs. Mayu Iwatani & KAIRI
Women's Tag Team Championship

PCW has had a long-established women's tag team division, thankfully, but current champions have been not thrilled with who PCW General Manager Kairi Sane has brought to them as competition, have instead sought Kairi to remove herself from the position if she is unable to do the job. The challenge is not only accepted, Kairi Sane will come out of retirement, wrestling now as just KAIRI, in her North American return, introduces her former stablemate Mayu Iwatani as her partner.

match 3.png

3. Too Cool (Grandmaster Sexay, Rikishi, & Scotty 2 Hotty) vs Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki, Zack Sabre, Jr. & Lance Archer)
Trios Match

PCW has never had a strong trios division, we've never had a trios match at a Wrestlevania, and we are looking to get it more off the ground with two teams who are legendary for very different reasons. I'm not sure it would be possible to get two factions with a bigger clash in styles between the extremely popular and crowd-pleasing Too Cool, or the uber-ruthless and aggressive, and maybe crowd-pleasing for different reasons, Suzuki-gun.

match 4.png

4. Bayley w/ Chavo Guerrero, Jr. vs. Zoya the Destroya [played by Alison Brie] w/ Marc Maron and Kate Nash
Women's Commonwealth Championship

PCW chairman G. Kim Johnsson was/is a huge fan of the series "G.L.O.W." on Netflix, which was sadly canceled for their final season, so he was all too willing to give airtime to members of the cast looking to promote the show in hopes that someone else picks it up, and the build to Wrestlevania, is the perfect time of the year to do this with so many millions of eyes on the weekly product. A few weeks ago, cast members Alison Brie, Kate Nash, Marc Maron, along with consultant Chavo Guerrero, Jr. joined the commentary booth to do this during one of Bayley's title defenses, which was short so they had their time for this week cut unfortunately. As one of the biggest stars in the company, Bayley offers the cast a spot on the Ding Dong, Hello Show the following week. However, she thinks this is all ridiculous and has been unimpressed with things like "funny" videos of Alison doing matches with herself, and mocks her and her character, Zoya the Destroya. She pokes fun at thinking Alison could have an actual wrestling match to the point where Bayley mockingly challenges her to one, with the title, and says that it's a good opportunity to get her 'stupid' character to be seen, making the idea not outright rejected. Chavo does not think this is such a good idea, since this would be 'real' wrestling, and it's not what the cast was trained to do and is incredulous when the challenge is accepted and decides he cannot support this, berating the cast, shoving Marc Maron down when he tries to calm him down (setting up a potential spot in the match), and ostensibly turns heel. The match is set up under the auspices that Alison Brie is playing the actual character of Zoya the Destoya, Marc Maron and Kate Nash as special commentators, and Chavo 'present' at ringside but clearly supporting Bayley.

match 5.png

5. Seth Rollins vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi
Keystone Cup Tournament Final

This is the finals of the inaugural "Keystone Cup" tournament, where the winner goes the opportunity to challenge the world champion, similar to the New Japan Cup where it is not Money in the Bank, but to become the #1 contender and determine the terms of the match. Two aces of their generation, but competing a world away, meet in the final in a true dream match scenario having beaten most of the contemporaries you see elsewhere on this card. Both have been around PCW before and the paths of Seth Rollins and Hiroshi Tanahashi will finally meet on the grand stage of Wrestlevania.

Untitled.png

6. Drew Gulak (c) vs. Mark Henry vs. Tomohiro Ishii vs. Stevie Richards vs. Wheeler Yuta vs. Justin Credible vs. Essa Rios vs. Steve Blackman vs. Al Snow vs. Johnny Knoxville vs. David Arquette vs. Larry Zbysko
12-Way Ladder Match
Men's Commonwealth Championship

Upon request of PCW hometown legend and current champion Drew Gulak, the PCW Men's Commonwealth Championship is set to be hung atop a ladder in this open invitational featuring a mix of legends of the Philadelphia (some Pennsylvania) wrestling scene, natives of Philadelphia, and assorted familiar "legends," for lack of a better term for some.

match 7.png

7. reDragon (Kyle O'Reilly & Bobby Fish) vs. The Quebecers (Jacques Rougeau & Carl Ouellet w/ Raymond Rougeau & Jimmy Hart)
"Province of Quebec Rules"
Men's Tag Team Championship

Upon reaching been aggressive in their pursuit of the tag team championship, the Quebecers, which as Quebecers, are new to the territory and are extremely and pridefully Quebec about it, previously 'accidentally' took out one of reDragon's main contenders, that has also rendered them undermanned and not happy that they did not obtain their #1 contender status with honor. This makes them leery and set up a plan to remove Raymond Rougeau from their equation as to level the playing field. As to replace him, and because their normal manager is not available, the Quebecers have employed their own once-manager and "the Mouth of the South" Jimmy Hart to protect Jacques and Carl from reDragon's unfettered aggression and have the championship match contested under 'Province of Quebec Rules' where the championships can change hands on a disqualification, obviously with hopes that that's what they can coerce to have happen.

match 8.png

8. Sasha Banks (c) vs. Chyna
Women's World Championship

Last year Sasha Banks, at long last, achieved her ultimate dream, winning the PCW Women's World Championship in the Wrestlevania 5 main-main event (it went on last) in the '200V Double Hell Double Landmine Exploding Barbed Wire Exploding Ring No Disqualification Deathmatch,' which was rated 7 1/2 stars, and she has held the title for a whole year up leading into this year's show. To commemorate these achievements, the chairman scheduled an elaborate celebration and has offered Sasha Banks 'whoever and whatever she wants,' essentially giving her the ability to book her own title match for the biggest show of the year, uh, within reason. Her request is one of her personal heroes, and the ultimate game changer when it came to women in wrestling: the 9th Wonder of the World - Chyna. Sasha soon finds out though that Chyna isn't just showing up to coronate her, send a calling card in the form of a surprise run-in and brawl during the celebration, feeling slighted at the insinuation that this isn't an earned opportunity - she was coming for the title anyways. Given she feels she's given Chyna the opportunity, Sasha's disappointment is palatable, this is not what she wanted (even if it's what she asked for), but everyone knows no one is ever going to out-mean her. Both are here to lay claim the fact we're able to get two women so significant to each of their eras will at least make this among the most compelling matchups on the card.

match 9.png

9. Jon Moxley vs. Atsushi Onita
Japanese Deathmatch

In part of last year's double main event, Jon Moxley dropped the men's world championship in a brutally fought Hell in a Cell match. But not one to sulk, Moxley has continued to fight and claw and be violent because, well, that's what Jon Moxley does best. Making a new challenge is a first-timer to the PCW scene and legend and innovator of assorted versions of deathmatches, Atsushi Onita. It's a matchup of two men who only know how to go all the way, in this special attraction Japanese Deathmatch - and there's no place better than Philadelphia for this match, given we're not in Japan. On commentary will be special guest and wife to Jon Moxey, Renee Paquette once again, because her live reactions ringside are going to be priceless once again.

match 10.png

10. Bryan Danielson (c) vs. Ricky Steamboat
2 out of 3 Falls
Men's World Championship

This year's main event is particularly delicious. Bryan Danielson is no stranger to the local scene here, but he's finally made his way into PCW and quickly worked himself into position to challenge for and win the PCW Men's World Championship. He is finally, rightfully, the top person in the company - through sheer handwork and determination that reflects the patrons of this city and state. On the other side, Ricky Steamboat is similarly respected in the industry, despite being undervalued and overshadowed by the bigger stars of his generate, thus he has never been the top guy. But now he is going to get a rare opportunity to achieve that status. It is not in the nature of either person to give up their ground now after the work they've put in to get here, but the time has come where they must go through each other. And Danielson wants everyone to know, that he's going to kick Steamboat's head in.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
@Bondurant I love the commentary team and you clearly know how to use Ventura. I would have liked more of them in this one. Also, the top 3 matches on your card are really strong and there’s interest for me in the bottom of the card as well.

@GKJ I say it every year, but you know how to put a card together. I really like the top of your card as well, but I also think you’ve got some depth. In fact I think that Rollins and Tanahashi could be higher up, but there’s a lot there so I understand. You got my vote here.

I will just say that despite the gulf in votes this for me was very close as well.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
@Bondurant I love the commentary team and you clearly know how to use Ventura. I would have liked more of them in this one. Also, the top 3 matches on your card are really strong and there’s interest for me in the bottom of the card as well.

@GKJ I say it every year, but you know how to put a card together. I really like the top of your card as well, but I also think you’ve got some depth. In fact I think that Rollins and Tanahashi could be higher up, but there’s a lot there so I understand. You got my vote here.

I will just say that despite the gulf in votes this for me was very close as well.
It technically is higher up, I don't put the card together in order of importance necessarily, more doing it as I would put the actual show together.

But keying it as a tournament final as a New Japan Cup-like tournament, I felt I had enough depth that I could put that in the middle and have a mid-show main event of sorts. I was considering doing a 2-night thing - have for a few years, and had I done that, it would've been the main event of the first show. But that's the idea, it is supposed to be the 2nd most important match on the card given the starpower despite being in the middle.

Reactions: les Habs

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Bondurant had a good contrast of eras here. Some of the matches aren't really for me, except those final two matches are great. Piper vs Funk could be insane in terms of build and Kobashi vs Walter tipped the scales for me here to earn my vote. GKJ again has good execution, even if the tastes don't necessarily match my own. Giving Banks a 7.5 star match did not evade my notice and as has become tradition there is the championing of the fabled women's tag team division. I'm not a big Rollins fan but I recognize that Rollins vs Tanahashi would appeal to many. The main event is one of the best here - Danielson vs Steamboat would be great and is probably a top three or four main event here.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Tough call for me.

Bondurant has strong dialogue with Monsoon and Ventura (Ventura was my first choice as CC for my card but obviously didn't get him). Writing dialogue like this can be challenging. I like your usage of two of the more interesting and unique performers in the business today in Danhausen and Walter. I almost would of rather seen MJF in the main event but I'll admit I'm not a big Roddy Piper guy. Just never took to him growing up at all.

But I went with GKJ here. There isn't enough for me to chew on in Bondurant's card with so few matches compared to GKJ. Both GMs do a very nice job describing their match-ups. The final 3 matches are solid and if you got Seth Rollins mid-card your card must be strong, Bonus points for using Ding-Dong Hello.

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017
This was a very very close matchup for me. Much closer than I expected.

I went with Bondurant here as I found his roster a bit stronger, especially given Funk/Piper in the main event. Personally, I'd have Funk playing heel there but it could go either way. I also love the pairing of MJF and Taz as enemies.

GKJ has a roster I typically wouldn't like, but I think this is your best card yet in terms of realization. The GLOW angle is shockingly very grounded and reads like top-tier WWE-style celebrity use, in a good way. Good use of Bayley. I also love seeing II Cool used and that may be the top main event of the entire draft for me. Unfortunately I'm not a big fan of Rollins, Tanahashi or a lot of the other talent used. That being said, I can easily see myself voting for Wrestlevania in later rounds if it goes through.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This was a very very close matchup for me. Much closer than I expected.

I went with Bondurant here as I found his roster a bit stronger, especially given Funk/Piper in the main event. Personally, I'd have Funk playing heel there but it could go either way. I also love the pairing of MJF and Taz as enemies.

GKJ has a roster I typically wouldn't like, but I think this is your best card yet in terms of realization. The GLOW angle is shockingly very grounded and reads like top-tier WWE-style celebrity use, in a good way. Good use of Bayley. I also love seeing II Cool used and that may be the top main event of the entire draft for me. Unfortunately I'm not a big fan of Rollins, Tanahashi or a lot of the other talent used. That being said, I can easily see myself voting for Wrestlevania in later rounds if it goes through.
I don’t think I do the GLOW thing without Bayley. It was actually my top idea, and I wish I did it last year. I think she’s the only person who could pull off what I was trying to accomplish which is why I felt I had to trade up for her. Not sure where her value was since she’s been out for almost a year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad