ATD Chat Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
BTW, you probably didn't notice but he recently missed 3 games due to injury so he's really only "well behind" because he's played fewer games.
Lol. The story of his career.

Crosbyites have been making excuses and spinning stats (the worship of PPG should get Palffy indicted!) forever it seems.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Lol. The story of his career.

Crosbyites have been making excuses and spinning stats (the worship of PPG should get Palffy indicted!) forever it seems.

Not spinning anything. Just pointing out reality my good friend. And i enjoy going beyond a single number to look at a players impact. There are a slew of other important stats there that shows how good Sid has been thus far. His line gives up far less goals (he's better defensively), he drives possession better, is far better in the dot, doesn't put his team a man down like Malkin does, and doesn't get out of facing the other teams top pairing and defensive C most nights out.

3 games won't matter much if he stays healthy the rest of the way anyhow.

And in all reality, Malkin's missed more time than Sid over the course of his career. Dude is hurt for 15-20 games every single season. It's honestly why his accolades are basically zilch since 2012.

Reactions: seventieslord

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I feel for McDavid. Don't really have an opinion one way or the other on Edmonton, but I really hope he doesn't feel like he owes that franchise to stay put if they continue to drop the ball around him.

I want to see him playing playoff hockey.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Marleau just played in his 1600th regular season game, scoring an assist in the win. The game before that he had 7 shots, played 19+ minutes, scored a goal and the Leafs won.

It is entirely likely that next year will not be his last season. It will be up to him. He could easily get multiple offers ( though in the 3.5-4.0 range, in T.O. or nearby Buffalo perhaps ).

Get this: If Patty plays just ONE FULL SEASON MORE after his contract ends next season,...

Marleau will pass Gordie Howe for the most NHL games played ever!!!!!

*dumbfounded*

Reactions: ImporterExporter

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
You know I've been thinking more about McDavid @ResilientBeast .

I know you're a huge Edmonton fan. How would you feel if he were to walk after his current contract, if the Oilers continue to miss the postseason or just barely make it a few times?

I look at John Tavares and how much shit he got for leaving NY. But that was a pretty good parallel. Great talent (not on McD's level mind you). Best player on the team, continually looking at a franchise that couldn't get their shit together for the better part of a decade. He walked for his boyhood team and I really don't blame him.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I don't get to see the Avs to often being on the east coast but i stayed up for their game against Pitt and boy are they a fun, energetic team to watch.

MacKinnon really resurrected his career last year and is looking even better this season. He's been a damn force tonight. Avs have really controlled play most of the night and then Crosby says "hold my beer" and pots a pair 42 seconds apart in the final minute of period 2 to make it a one goal game.

Nate, if he can stay healthy this go around, has to be a front runner for the Hart long term. I'm quite impressed by Rantanen as well. Kid is strong on his skates and showing top end vision.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
And Sid with 3 straight goals now to tie it up!

What a damn game.

Edit. Mac gets an assist on the game winner and some EN action real late.

Mac if he keeps this up is running away with lots of hardware.

Great tilt.

Last edited:

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Tom Wilson suspension predictions, anyone?

My post in the main board thread, which got a lot of thumbs up:

Wilson 5 and a game Seney hit: Part II *Update: no suspension*

He needs to sit for double what the last suspension was, so 40 games I believe.

Personally i'd like to see it be the rest of the season. 5 suspension worthy hits in the last calendar year is inexcusable.

Then again, some arbitrator will just reduce whatever the league hands down anyway.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
If he does that to Crosby I'll drive my car right through the doors of his house and come out to Stone Cold Steve Austin's entrance music. :popcorn:

"Let's see how you do off skates there Tommy boy".

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Can you imothe PR fallout if he injured a marquee player like that in the next 30 or so games he’d have been otherwise suspended?

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Can you imothe PR fallout if he injured a marquee player like that in the next 30 or so games he’d have been otherwise suspended?

As I said on the main board. He's going to get McSorely'd.

At some point a player will take matters into their own hands.

I can't believe someone hasn't ran him by now. He's deserving of it.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
As I said on the main board. He's going to get McSorely'd.

At some point a player will take matters into their own hands.

I can't believe someone hasn't ran him by now. He's deserving of it.

who, though? for the most part, the only guys who are a physical match for Wilson are one-dimensional goons, who are almost completely gone from the game. He's kinda one-of-a-kind.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Nylander signed. He is such a creative playmaker. He and Matthews fit like hand and glove.

Marner can move back in the lineup to where he was before. Mitch has just 6 goals in 26 games despite playing a lot more minutes than last year. He is less creative than William on regular shifts but he has been very effective passing on the pp. Marner easily leads all Leaf forwards in pp assists with NINE (9). The next best is Tavares with 3.

The Leafs forwards are swamped with talent. Pass to a Matthews or Tavares and watch them score!

The team should trade for a high quality defensive defenseman, maybe a rental, to solidify a deep playoff push.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Nylander signed. He is such a creative playmaker. He and Matthews fit like hand and glove.

Marner can move back in the lineup to where he was before. Mitch has just 6 goals in 26 games despite playing a lot more minutes than last year. He is less creative than William on regular shifts but he has been very effective passing on the pp. Marner easily leads all Leaf forwards in pp assists with NINE (9). The next best is Tavares with 3.

The Leafs forwards are swamped with talent. Pass to a Matthews or Tavares and watch them score!

The team should trade for a high quality defensive defenseman, maybe a rental, to solidify a deep playoff push.

Marner leads the NHL in primary assists. He's an incredible playmaker, possibly the best playmaking winger at this moment.

Nylander will only help Matthews, though it's hard to imagine him scoring more than a goal per game...

Yes, the one thing the team needs right now is a great number 2 defenseman. Should be obtainable at the deadline.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Marner often passes the puck to Tavares and John displays his magical scoring touch.

Marner does not pass the eye test for "incredible playmaker". Nylander does.

Last year I thought the Leafs should re-sign Nylander and Matthews and trade Marner. I don't see how all three get signed with defense needing more money too. Something's gotta give.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
who, though? for the most part, the only guys who are a physical match for Wilson are one-dimensional goons, who are almost completely gone from the game. He's kinda one-of-a-kind.

Yea, he's not gonna get McSorleyd. I like him. He keeps giving it back to the Pens after all the shit they pulled over the years with Cooke & Co. Let's hope nothing happens with their two effing stars :laugh:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Marner does not pass the eye test for "incredible playmaker". Nylander does.

My God, are you f***ing kidding me?

I can only conclude that you haven't seen enough of Marner. One month into his NHL career it was already clear that he was going to be something special in the passing department. He's only gotten better since then. You should look up some videos of his assists. Some of them are brilliant, the likes of which only special players pull off regularly.

He already has 4 more primary assists than anyone else in the league, and at even strength he has 22 assists, which would still put him 10th in the league without any PP assists. Remove the 11 times he's set up Tavares this year, and that's still 21 assists, good for 12th in the league.

It can't be attributed to Tavares, to the powerplay, or to "cheap" secondary assists. Doesn't matter who, doesn't matter when. The puck goes off his stick, hits someone else and goes in the net. He has the magic touch this season.

Nylander is a great talent too, but he's defnitely not in Marner's league - Leafs fans may have thought they were close during their rookie seasons, but we know the truth now.

Last edited:
Reactions: koyvoo

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Just look at the last game. Average pass to Matthews who buries it. Then chips puck from point to net and hits teammate and goes in.

Marner earns his assists the way Recchi did. Hey, that makes you happy. The stats come when you are in the right situation.

I never said Marner isn't talented. I just don't think he is an "incredible playmaker" nor as good as Nylander.

The distinction between passer and playmaker is apt here.

Anyways,... it's early in their careers. They are on a loaded team. I'll keep watching EVERY game that Marleau is in, so more and more Marner and Nylander. Looking forward to Wednesday's game against the Sabres. Should be a hoot to see Nylander back in the line up!

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Hold on, where are we getting "Marner can move back in the lineup?"
Nylander has played with Matthews his entire career, and it's been well documented that the Tavares signing was predicated on playing him with Marner. Why would that change now? Or is VanIslander suggesting that Nylander gets Tavares and Kasperi Kapanen stays on Matthews' right wing? Because that would be a weird suggestion.

Reactions: seventieslord

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Just look at the last game. Average pass to Matthews who buries it. Then chips puck from point to net and hits teammate and goes in.

Marner earns his assists the way Recchi did. Hey, that makes you happy. The stats come when you are in the right situation.

I never said Marner isn't talented. I just don't think he is an "incredible playmaker" nor as good as Nylander.

The distinction between passer and playmaker is apt here.

Anyways,... it's early in their careers. They are on a loaded team. I'll keep watching EVERY game that Marleau is in, so more and more Marner and Nylander. Looking forward to Wednesday's game against the Sabres. Should be a hoot to see Nylander back in the line up!

Well if you're watching every Leafs game now, that's good. You probably won't hold this opinion for too long.

Not every single assist is a zinger. Last game was not a great example of anything for the Leafs, besides playing poorly and still winning.

Yes there is a distinction between passer and playmaker (there's plenty of overlap, too). The way Marner buzzes around the offensive zone with the puck while teammates try to get into an opening, is very Patrick Kane-like. Marner's skating and creativity create those assists just as much as his sublime passing does. He is an elite playmaker and let me be clear - it's not just because of his assist stats.

There are plenty of examples of dazzling Marner assists. I've seen every one of them going back to his rookie season (which I assume you haven't seen).

(actually, as fringe as your opinions of Marner are, it is nice to see you come around on Nylander. I remember you being pretty down on him earlier in his career when he had barely played in the NHL - downplaying his AHL stats, which is usually a pretty legitimate criticism, just not when a guy is a top-10 draft pick and 19-20 years old)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad