Sprague Cleghorn - Jim Schoenfeld

PK#2
John Tonelli - Rick Middleton
Bill Hajt - Mark Howe​

Last edited:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
So, can Detroit do what Montreal couldn't do and find a way to stop Gretzky-Cook?

I like their chances more than Montreal. Detroit has Hasek, and they have better team toughness and team defence than Montreal. These are two of the fastest teams in the draft.

The speed and smarts of Detroit's defence will be critical here. They're going to be the difference in not only stopping the Gretzky line, but guys like Middleton, Federko and Bobrov, too. Lada can probably throw three scoring lines out there better than any one else.

The other question is whether Detroit can capitalize on Lada's lack of team toughness up front beyond the top two lines. Guys like Iginla and Gillies will be important. Eric Nestorenko could be one of the most important guys in the series. The mobility and toughness of Vasko, Mortson and Stanowski will be critical for Detroit's success.

I think Lada has the best defenceman in the series (Cleghorn), and I don't think Howe is far behind Niedermayer. I do think Detroit has a better-built defence, and better depth.

Give Detroit a legitimate edge in goal. Both goalie match-ups in this division are significant. But Harry Lumley was a very good goalie, and he is capable of stealing a game.

The biggest edge in the series, though, is likely behind the bench. Tommy Ivan is one of the top five coaches ever. And Ivan has his type of team, a talented two-way squad with great hockey sense.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
sorry, i was too caught up in the real playoffs.

i will be using the same lineup as before:

tonelli--gretzky--cook
murdoch--federko--middleton
bobrov--goyette--sandstrom
marcotte--kasper--preston

howe--cleghorn
schoenfeld--patrick
hajt--marois

::

d-corps

i think i have the top 2 D in the series.

i actually have howe above niedermayer. (and not b/c of this series)

they're very similar players--great skating 2 way d-men, both 1st AS 3 times.
but i don't think niedermayer ever had a season like howe did in '86, when he was a hart finalist. i think howe was a smarter player and a better QB.
for most of his career, niedermayer was a 40p player who was not very close to the norris until his last few seasons.
howe finished 5th in norris voting in his 1st NHL season, and was a great d-man until his injuries in the late '80s.

imo, outside of his time in the WHA, howe faced the deepest field of great d-men in history. i think if he and niedermayer switched eras, howe would be generally ranked ahead.

they are at least very close.

cleghorn and howe were both great both ways and excelled in all situations. cleghorn was actually a protege of cyclone taylor. they both have the combination of defense and skating that is necessary to stop detroit's speedy offense.

my bottom 4 d-men are nothing special, but are a solid defensive group that can control the front of the net and keep shots to the outside.

i think the red wings' weakness is their d-corps. they are great skaters and puck-movers, and should have a great transition game, but none stand out as defensive stalwarts capable of handling my first unit.
maybe vasko, but he was a key part of the '60s chicago D that seemed to underachieve. they were upset (and lit up) several times by detroit, primarily howe and ullman. and that was with glenn hall in net.

i have no problem giving the edge on the bottom 4 to detroit, but i don't think it's very big. the top 2 are on the ice the most and are by far the most important, and i think i have a clear edge there.

i tend to think hasek is the best ever, so obviously scoring won't be easy.
we'll have to take advantages of his weaknesses.
hasek is a horrible puckhandler. i think the transition game of detroit, which is a definite strength, will be a bit weakened.

i think by spreading out my defensive and gritty players, i'll be better able to exploit hasek's terrible puckhandling on the forecheck.
it is also a safeguard against detroit's fast counterattacks.

we'll have to get some traffic around hasek and score some garbage goals. cook and tonelli were both very physical players who were strong around the net. bottom 3 lines don't have the same slot/crease presence, but bobrov, sandstrom, preston, middleton and marcotte are capable in that area or are at least able to jump on rebounds and loose pucks.

i think gretzky's intelligence is exactly what can beat hasek (it worked well against everyone else). gretzky was very often able to turn one scoring chance into another with his incredible vision. since hasek drops to the ice quickly, i think gretzky can take advantage waiting hasek out, or, more likely, by finding the other man whether it's another forward, or a d-man. both cleghorn and howe are smart enough to move up to get a scoring chance, and talented enough to capitalize.

lumley is obviously well below hasek, but i think he's one of the most underrated goalies in history.
sawchuk had one of the greatest peaks in history, but lumley was good enough to take 1st AS from him twice in a row on a fairly mediocre team and in an era of dynasties.
lumley's strong showing in hart voting tells me that he was able to carry a team.
'46: 4th
'54: 5th
'55: 2nd (this was kennedy's hart win, and since kennedy didn't make the AS team (or even play in the AS game), i'm tempted to think of lumley as the rightful winner.)

(just to be clear, i consider hasek's harts as best player, but lumley's not as best player, but most valuable to his team. so hasek's placements in hart voting are much more impressive.)

my advantages are the top line, top 2 d-men, special teams and coaching. i think my top line is better at all 3 positions, and i think my top 2 D are better than detroit's, so, of course, those players will see a lot of TOI.

gretzky is too much for almost anyone, and i think cook and tonelli are a handful physically for detroit's d-men.
i think gretzky and cook are the 2 best goalscorers in the series. (maybe someone wants to make arguments for taylor?)
frank boucher describes bill cook:
Bill didn't have a bullet shot, or at least not a long bullet shot like the golf style slap shot Bobby Hull perfected, but he had a very hard wrist shot from close in and could score equally well backhand or forehand.
with the offensive ability, intelligence and speed of cleghorn and howe supporting them, i think my first unit is lethal.

i think i have a better PP than detroit. gretzky is maybe the best ever on the PP; howe was a great QB; and cleghorn should be as well.

detroit's advantages are goaltending, speed/mobility, and depth players, primarily scoring depth.

i think the main questions in the series are:

can hasek stop gretzky and cook?
can we contain detroit's speedy attack?
who controls the front of the net?
who wins the battle of special teams?

Hummm...That one goes in four.
i hope you're not being serious.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
PP1: Clark Gillies - Marty Barry - Jarome Iginla, Cyclone Taylor - George Owen
PP2: Craig Simpson - Vladimir Shadrin - Yvan Cournoyer, Scott Niedermayer - Moose Vasko

PK1: Vladimir Shadrin - Eric Nesterenko, Moose Vasko - Gus Mortson
PK2: Phil Watson - Tommy Phillips, Gary Bergman - Scott Niedermayer

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
GAME 1: Лада Тольятти at Detoit Red Wings

SCORING SUMMARY

PERIOD 1
Detroit Red Wings at 8:28 (PP) - Jarome Iginla from Cyclone Taylor and George Owen

PERIOD 2
No Scoring

PERIOD 3
No Scoring

PENALTY SUMMARY

PERIOD 1

Лада Тольятти at 7:02 - Wayne Gretzky for Tripping (2 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 7:44 - Tomas Sandstom for Butt Ending (4 Min.)
Detroit Red Wings at 10:20 - Cyclone Taylor for Goaltender Interference (2 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 18:52 - Sprague Cleghorn for Roughing (2 Min.)
Detroit Red Wings at 18:52 - Jarome Iginla for Checking From Behind (5 Min.)
Detroit Red Wings at 18:52 - Jarome Iginla for Roughing (2 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 18:52 - Sprague Cleghorn for Misconduct
Detroit Red Wings at 18:52 - Jarome Iginla for Game Misconduct

PERIOD 2

Лада Тольятти at 2:00 - John Tonelli for Fighting (5 Min.)
Detroit Red Wings at 2:00 - Gus Mortson for Fighting (5 Min.)
Detroit Red Wings at 4:47 - Clark Gillies for Hooking (2 Min.)
Detroit Red Wings at 15:09 - Scott Niedermayer for Holding (2 Min.)

PERIOD 3

No Penalties

GAME STARS

First Star: Dominik Hasek DET (42 saves)
Second Star: Cyclone Taylor DET (1 assist)
Third Star: Bill Cook LAD (7 shots)

SCORING

Лада Тольятти 0 - - 0
Detroit Red Wings 1 - - 1

SHOTS

Лада Тольятти 9 20 13 42
Detroit Red Wings 9 7 7 24

POWER PLAYS

Лада Тольятти 0 for 4
Detroit Red Wings 1 for 3

NOTES: Dominik Hasek stole one for Detroit. Fans gave the goaltender a 5 minute ovation after the game when he was named first star. An early PP goal by Iginla (tipping in a Taylor shot) was all he needed on this night. The PP was a 5 on 3 and Detroit nearly blew it until Igilna really got his butt in front of the net. Iginla then got kicked out of the game for a hit from behind on Rick Middleton. He's suspended for game 2. Gretzky and Cook created a ton of chances but Hasek had their number on this night. Cyclone Taylor also did a great job catching Gretzky a few times on the rush. He was Detroit's best skater.

Last edited:

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
Лада Тольятти at Detroit Red Wings (Wings lead 1 game to none)

SCORING SUMMARY

PERIOD 1

No Scoring

PERIOD 2

No Scoring

PERIOD 3

Detroit Red Wings at 8:09 (PP) - Cyclone Taylor from Marty Barry and Ed Sandford

Detroit Red Wings at 19:46 (EN) - Ed Sandford (Mary Barry)

PENALTY SUMMARY

PERIOD 1

Лада Тольятти at 4:23 - Sprague Cleghorn for Slashing (2 Min.)
Detroit Red Wings at 6:10 - Milorad Kos for Interference (2 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 14:20 - Mark Howe for Elbowing (2 Min.)
Detroit Red Wings at 19:38 - Brad Hunt for Hooking (2 Min.)

PERIOD 2

Detroit Red Wings at 0:39 - Greg Bay for High Sticking (2 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 7:06 - Bill Cook for Hooking (2 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 7:29 - James Patrick for Holding (2 Min.)
Detroit Red Wings at 18:28 - Kevin Tipper for Boarding (2 Min.)

PERIOD 3

Лада Тольятти at 6:51 - Steve Kasper for Interference (2 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 16:03 - Jim Schoenfeld for Tripping (2 Min.)
Detroit Red Wings at 20:00 - Craig Simpson for Slashing (5 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 20:00 - Sprague Cleghorn for Fighting (5 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 20:00 - Sprague Cleghorn for Aggressor (2 Min.)
Detroit Red Wings at 20:00 - Craig Simpson for Game Misconduct
Лада Тольятти at 20:00 - Sprague Cleghorn for Match

GAME STARS

First Star: Dominik Hasek DET (29 saves)
Second Star: Harrly Lumley LAD (32 saves)
Third Star: Ed Sandford DET (1 goal, 1 assist)

SCORING

Лада Тольятти 0 0 0 0
Detroit Red Wings 0 0 2 2

SHOTS

Лада Тольятти 5 8 16 29
Detroit Red Wings 13 10 11 34

POWER PLAYS

Лада Тольятти 0 for 4
Detroit Red Wings 1 for 6

NOTES: For the second straight game at home, Dominik Hasek shut out Wayne Gretzky's Lada team. The frustration was evident on the faces of the Lada players as they peppered Hasek in the third period but couldn't find a way to get a puck past him. The first two periods were classic playoff hockey and an outstanding performance from Lada's Harry Lumley. He stopped all 23 of Detroit's shots including a Cyclone Taylor breakaway and a 3 on 1 play. Lada didn't come out with the kind of fire and desperation you would think they would after being shut out in game 1. They had a much better second period, but their early momentum was derailed by penalties to Cook and Patrick. A Steve Kasper penalty put Detroit on the power play in the third period, and surprisingly spare forward Ed Sandford figured in on the goal. He was put on the top PP unit in place of the suspended Jerome Igilna. Sandford dug the puck free in the corner, found Marty Barry on the half boards and Barry found Cyclone Taylor sneaking in from the point. Taylor slipped a one timer by Lumley and suddenly panic set in for Lada. Gretzky played 9 of the next 15 minutes, but Hasek had an answer for everything he did. Ed Sanford played an outstanding game for the Wings and even scored an empty netter at the end put the cherry on top of this game. As time ran out and Lada pressed for a late goal, Craig Simpson hacked Wayne Gretzky with a vicious slash to the back of the leg. Sprague Cleghorn respondedy by immediately dropping his gloves and clocking Simpson. Both Cleghorn and Simpson will be unavailable for game 3 in Lada due to their late actions. Iginla returns to the Red Wings line-up as they have a chance to put Lada in a massive hole.

Last edited:

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
Detroit Red Wings at Лада Тольятти (Wings lead 2 games to 0)

SCORING SUMMARY

PERIOD 1

Detroit Red Wings at 16:15 (PP) - Yvon Cournoyer from Scott Niedermayer and Moose Vasko

PERIOD 2

Лада Тольятти at 8:39 (SH) - John Tonelli from Mark Howe
Detroit Red Wings at 13:05 - Jarome Iginla from Mary Barry and Elmer Vasko
Лада Тольятти at 19:04 - Bill Cook from Wayne Gretzky and John Tonelli

PERIOD 3

No Scoring

OVERTIME PERIOD 1

OVERTIME PERIOD 2

Лада Тольятти at 3:27 - John Tonelli from Wayne Gretzky and Mark Howe

PENALTY SUMMARY

PERIOD 1

Detroit Red Wings at 0:57 - Jarome Iginla for Hooking (2 Min.)
Detroit Red Wings at 6:39 - Tommy Phillips for Slashing (2 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 10:56 - Rick Middleton for Interference (2 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 14:22 - Mark Howe for Hooking (2 Min.)

PERIOD 2

Лада Тольятти at 3:34 - Wayne Gretzky for High Sticking (2 Min.)
Detroit Red Wings at 5:19 - Phil Watson for Hooking (2 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 7:25 - Rich Preston for Hooking (2 Min.)
Detroit Red Wings at 13:40 - Gary Bergman for Interference (2 Min.)

PERIOD 3

Detroit Red Wings at 11:26 - Gary Bergman for Tripping (2 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 12:58 - Bill Cook for Unsportsmanlike Conduct (2 Min.)

GAME STARS

First Star: John Tonelli LAD (2 goals, 1 assist)
Second Star: Wayne Gretzky LAD (2 assists)
Third Star: Dominik Hasek (1 goal, 1 assist)

SCORING

Detroit Red Wings 1 1 0 0 2
Лада Тольятти 0 2 0 1 3

SHOTS

Detroit Red Wings 9 7 8 5 4 32
Лада Тольятти 14 7 14 8 5 48

POWER PLAYS

Detroit Red Wings 1 for 5
Лада Тольятти 0 for 5

NOTES: Gusev filled in for Cleghorn tonight for Lada. Sandford played in Simpson's place on the fourth line as Igilna returned to the line-up. Neither was particularely effective in this game. It was looking like more of the same for Lada at home for Game 3. They fired 14 shots on Hasek and couldn't beat him for the 7th straight period. The Czech appeared basically unbeatable. After two power play opportunities of their own, Lada took two late penalties. Detroit capitalized with Mark Howe in the box. Lada didn't have either of their top two defenceman and Yvan Cournoyer tipped in a Niedermayer point shot to open the scoring. The wind was sucked out of the crowd in Lada. They had a lethargic finish to the first and a lethargic start to the second. The powerful Lada power play had no shots on their power play early in the second. At 7:25 Rich Preston's hooking penalty caused Gretzky to nearly lose his cool on the bench as it was a borderline hook. Tommy Ivan called time out and just stared silently at his players down to the last seconds when he said "you're better than this... prove it." On the PK Mark Howe beat Iginla to a loose puck in the corner, chipped it off the glass and John Tonelli won the race for the puck at centre ice. He held off Owen's back check and beat Hasek with a backhand through the five hole. The crowd blew the roof off the place and on the Lada bench you could tell a huge monkey was lifted off their back. A couple of minutes later Jarome Igilna banged in a rebound to restore Detroit's lead and take back the momentum. Gretzky's line came off the bench with time running out in the period and the Great One set up behind the net. After about 10 fakes, Gretzy came out with a backhand pass to Bill Cook who roofed a one timer to tie the game. Lada put on huge pressure in the third, but Hasek was again dynamite. Both teams were very tentative early in Overtime. Lumley had to make a couple of key saves off Taylor and Niedermayer to make sure his team didn't go down 3-0. Hasek was outstanding as usual. The crowd in Lada was on pins and needles. Finally in the second OT Mark Howe hit Gretzky at centre with a long pass, Gretzky immediately fed it across to Tonelli who came in on his off wing and fired a snapper from his back foot that fooled Hasek. The Dominator had stopped better shots, but Tonelli's shot had some movement on it. The gritty forward was mobbed by his whole team as Lada survived and now only trails 2 games to 1. Hasek has been solved... for now.

Last edited:

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
Detroit Red Wings at Лада Тольятти (Wings lead 2 games to 1)

SCORING SUMMARY

PERIOD 1

Detroit Red Wings at 2:24 - Craig Simpson from Vladimir Shadrin and Gary Bergman
Detroit Red Wings at 17:40 (PP) - Jarome Iginla from Cyclone Taylor and Mary Barry

PERIOD 2

Detroit Red Wings at 2:24 - Yvan Cournoyer from Cyclone Taylor and Scott Niedermayer
Detroit Red Wings at 5:54 (PP) - Cyclone Taylor from George Owen and Clark Gillies

PERIOD 3

Detroit Red Wings at 1:27 (PP) - Clark Gillies from Marty Barry and Cyclone Taylor
Лада Тольятти at 5:06 (PP) - Vsevolod Bobrov from Wayne Gretzky and Bill Cook
Detroit Red Wings at 8:30 - Gilles Tremblay from Phil Watson and Eric Nesterenko
Detroit Red Wings at 11:21 - Jarome Iginla from Herbie Lewis and Wally Stanowski
Лада Тольятти at 11:54 - Bill Cook from Wayne Gretzky and Sprague Cleghorn
Лада Тольятти at 17:50 - Tomas Standstrom from Phil Goyettee and Mario Marois
Detroit Red Wings at 19:01 (PP) - Cyclone Taylor from Jarome Iginla and Yvan Cournoyer

PENALTY SUMMARY

PERIOD 1

Лада Тольятти at 0:11 - Team Penalty for Bench Minor (2 Min.)
Detroit Red Wings at 4:13 - Cyclone Taylor for Slashing (2 Min.)
Detroit Red Wings at 9:00 - Gus Mortson for Holding (2 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 17:00 - John Tonelli for High Sticking (2 Min.)

PERIOD 2

Лада Тольятти at 5:13 - Mark Howe for Hooking (2 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 6:49 - Jim Schoenfeld for Interference (2 Min.)
Detroit Red Wings at 13:33 - Herbie Lewis for Roughing (2 Min.)

PERIOD 3

Detroit Red Wings at 3:23 - Eric Nesterenko for Slashing (2 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 12:09 - Bill Cook for Goaltender Interference (2 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 18:10 - Tomas Sandstrom for Cross Checking (2 Min.)
Detroit Red Wings at 19:41 - Yvan Cournoyer for Unsportsmanlike Conduct (2 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 19:41 - Sprague Cleghorn for Interference (2 Min.)

GAME STARS

First Star: Cyclone Taylor DET (2 goals, 3 assists)
Second Star: Jarome Iginla DET (2 goals, 1 assist)
Third Star: Dominik Hasek DET (33 saves)

SCORING
Detroit Red Wings 2 2 4 8
Лада Тольятти 0 0 3 3

SHOTS
Detroit Red Wings 20 9 12 41
Лада Тольятти 9 8 19 36

POWER PLAYS
Detroit Red Wings 4 for 6
Лада Тольятти 1 for 5

NOTES: Lada's confidence after Game 3 went into the tank after Game 4. The Red Wings had been getting huge goaltending from Dominik Hasek, but they were kind of tired of him getting all the credit for their success. Harry Lumley had his troubles in this game and was yanked after the second period. He stopped 25 of 29 shots. John Vanbiesbrouck had an even worse time i the third period as he let in 4 goals on 12 shots. Cyclone Taylor was an absolute beast on the ice. His speed and skill controlled the game from the drop of the puck. His five points in one game tie Gretzky's total so far for the series. Lada looked asleep out there until the third period when they were all ready down 5-0. The only consolation for Lada is that they were able to get three goals past Hasek for the second consecutive game. The bad news? They're down 3 games to 1 against a Detroit team that can now close them out at home... and have yet to give up a single goal at home.

Last edited:

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
(SORRY GUYS BUSY SO I'M CUTTING OUT THE PENALTIES)

Лада Тольятти at Detroit Red Wings (Wings lead 3 games to 1)

SCORING SUMMARY

PERIOD 1

Лада Тольятти at 0:16 - Wayne Gretzky from Sprague Cleghorn and John Tonelli
Лада Тольятти at 14:37 (PP) - Wayne Gretzky from Bill Cook and Sprague Cleghorn

PERIOD 2

Detroit Red Wings at 0:13 - Herbie Lewis from Marty Barry and Wally Stanowski
Detroit Red Wings at 7:39 - Yvan Cournoyer from Cyclone Taylor and Scott Niedermayer
Лада Тольятти at 8:53 - Bill Cook from Wayne Gretzky
Лада Тольятти at 12:03 - Wayne Gretzky from Mark Howe
Detroit Red Wings at 17:36 - Gary Bergman from Phil Watson and Gilles Tremblay

PERIOD 3

No Scoring

GAME STARS

First Star: Wayne Gretzky LAD (3 goals 1 assist)
Second Star: Bill Cook LAD (1 goal 1 assist)
Third Star: Harrly Lumley LAD (33 saves)

SCORING

Лада Тольятти 2 2 0 4
Detroit Red Wings 0 3 0 3

SHOTS

Лада Тольятти 6 13 4 23
Detroit Red Wings 15 11 10 36

POWER PLAYS

Лада Тольятти 1 for 6
Detroit Red Wings 0 for 4

NOTES: Wayne Grezky woke up today and saved Lada from elimination in Game 5. Gretzky had been outscored in the series by Cyclone Taylor so far, but his hat trick in this game lifted Lada to a much needed victory on a night when they were outshot significantly. Gretzky got things off to a great start by scoring only 16 seconds into the hockey game. However, it was Detroit who dominated the first period. Harry Lumley was huge for Lada with 16 saves in the period to preserve a 2-0 lead. Detroit scored early in the second when Herbie Lewis let a wrist shot go from 20 feet out that somehow fooled Apple Cheeks. The Road Runner tied the game 7 minutes later, and Gretzky went to work again. Just over a minute after the Wings tied the game, Gretzky fed Cook with a perfect one time pass to give Lada their lead back. A few mintues later he took a Howe pass and blasted a slapper past Hasek to give his team some insurance and wrap up a hat trick. The Great One humbled the Dominator and gave his team new life heading back home to Lada. Hasek will try to rebound after giving up 4 goals on 23 shots. He said this is the Gretzky everyone told him about and he'll be ready for him in game 6.

Last edited:

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
Detroit Red Wings at Лада Тольятти (Wings lead 3 games to 2)

NOTES: This was truly a battle of the stars. Gretzky vs. Hasek. Hasek stopped Gretky on a breakaway 2 minutes into the game and we knew the war was on. On a Lada power play midway through the first period, Hasek made a wild poke check on Gretzky. The puck got to Vasko who sprung Shadrin on a breakway. His shorthanded goal couldn't silence the Lada crowd who only started chanting for their team seconds later. The Great One took a short break on the bench and then responded a minute later by jumping onto the ice with the third line. He set up behind the net and spotted Tomas Sandstrom sneaking in behind the D to deposit his first of the series and tie the game. Hasek and Lumley took over for the rest of the first, second and third periods. Both teams put pressure on in what was the most entertaining game of the series and one of the most entertaining games in all of the playoffs. The teams took few penalties and just played a clean, high tempo, smart game. The Red Wings allowed a lot of shots, but also did a great job keeping Lada out of Hasek's face. As long as he saw the shot he stopped it. On the other end Cleghorn was outstanding for Lada. He got the best of Taylor again and again while playing pretty much any time Cyclone took the ice. The slick skating star hasn't been the same ever since Cleghorn started paying him special attention. It was almost a sure thing that this game would go to overtime when an attempted outlet pass by Niedermayer missed the mark and caused an icing against Detroit. Tommy Ivan called a late time out for Lada and sent his top unit out with 20 seconds to play for a face off inside the Red Wigns zone. Gretzky won it back to Cleghorn, Cleghorn fired the puck and Cook did a great job picking up a rebound that Hasek steered into the corner. He slid it to Gretzky... once again in his office behind the net. Gretz faked left and threw a backhand pass to a pinching Cleghorn. Sprague faked his shot, Hasek bit and Cleghorn went backhand into the wide open cage to send the Lada crowd into a frenzy. Despite a dominating performance by the Dominator, Gretzky and Cleghorn did just enough to send the series back to Detroit.

SCORING SUMMARY

PERIOD 1

Detroit Red Wings at 10:14 (SH) - Vladimir Shadrin (Moose Vasko)
Лада Тольятти at 11:19 - Tomas Sandstrom (Wayne Gretzky)

PERIOD 2

No Scoring

PERIOD 3

Лада Тольятти at 19:50 - Sprague Cleghorn from Wayne Gretzky and Bill Cook

GAME STARS

First Star: Wayne Gretzky LAD (1 goal 1 assist)
Second Star: Dominik Hasek DET (36 saves)
Third Star: Sprague Cleghorn LAD (1 goal)

SCORING
Detroit Red Wings 1 0 0 1
Лада Тольятти 1 1 0 2

SHOTS
Detroit Red Wings 9 10 8 27
Лада Тольятти 14 10 14 38

POWER PLAYS
Detroit Red Wings 0 for 3
Лада Тольятти 0 for 3

Last edited:

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
Лада Тольятти at Detroit Red Wings (Series tied at 3)

NOTES: Lada was looking to complete an unlikely come back while Detroit was looking to shut down the Gretzky machine one more time. The series started with two Red Wings shut outs at hom. Lada barely got back into things with a gutsy overtime win in game 3, but the Red Wings blew them out in game 4. At that point Wayne Gretzky picked up his game and put on heroic efforts in games 5 and 6 to extend the series. Hasek came down to earth a little but while Harry Lumley's play improved after being replaced in the third period of game 4. Cyclone Taylor was the offensive story of the first few games, but he's been dealing with massive frustrating while Sprague Cleghorn shadowed him in games 5 and 6. Game 7 started with a wild Detroit crowd getting silenced only 1:18 in. Tonelli dumped the puck in, Gretzky found it on the right half boards and made a blind drop pass to Mark Howe. Howe let a blast go by a screened Hasek to give his team the lead, but it was a costly goal as Moose Vasko drilled Tonelli just as the puck came by and he seemed to land awkwardly. The Wings started taking the physical play to Lada for the next few minutes and got several quality chances. Finally at 5:55 Herbie Lewis broke down the left win and let a quick snap shot go. Iginla beat Patrick to the net and knocked in another big goal to tie the game and bring the crowd to their feet. The play continued back and fourth until Phil Goyette took a couple of bad penalties late in the period. Lada killed off the first one, but with only 15 seconds left in the period Cyclone Taylor found a hole through traffic and fired a good low wrist shot into the bottom left corner. A 2-1 wings lead after one.

Lada started the second period with a ton of pressure, and Dominik Hasek was up to the task. He made 6 saves in the first 4 minutes of the period. Eventually the Wings got burned for playing on their heels. Gretzky came onto the ice at the end of a shift for the second line. Federko spotted him coming off the bench and fed a great pass through Mortson's legs to the Great One. He made no mistake and beat Hasek with a fake slap shot move to the forehand. Tie game. The Wings took back the momentum for a while until Niedermayer and Nesterinko took two penalties within 30 seconds of each other. Lada couldn't seem to get the power play going until the very last second of the 5 on 4. Gretzky got the puck back to Howe who was on the right point and fed Middleton for a one timer on the left point. His drive hit a leg in front and beat Hasek for a 3-2 Lada lead. Nesterinko smashed his stick coming out of the penalty box, and sensing trouble on his bench Jimmy Skinner called a time out to calm them down. It seemed to work. At 15:41 Vasko made a nice outlet pass to send Taylor and Gillies on a 2 on 1. Taylor faked the shot and fed a backhand pass to Gillies for the goal. The game is tied again and the crowd is right into it again. Two minutes later Craig Simpson was denied on a breakway by Lumley and Lada escaped the end of the period tied. The Wings had the momentum and the crowd was alive.

Gretzky during the intermission: "It all comes down to one period of hockey. I'm proud of our team no matter what happens, but if we're going to win some of the guys on our third and fourth lines have to step up. We can't leave all the scoring to us. The playoffs belong to unlikely heroes."

Taylor during the intermission: "We had a lead in the series and let it slip away. We had a lead in this game and let it slip away. We've had victory in the palms of our hands... we know what it tastes like and we're not going to let it get away this time. I won't let it happen, we won't let it happen."

Last edited:

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
In the third period both teams let it all hang out. Normally you'd expect cautious play, but these two teams went at it back and fourth... back and fourth. Only two penalties the entire period, and the goalies stole the show. Hasek stopped a Cook breakway, a 3 on 1 and two 2 on 1 rushes. Lumley made 5 saves in one shift off of Taylor and Cournoyer. Fans were on the edge of their seat with no team having a clear advantage. At 18:20 the second line was putting some pressure on for Lada. Federoko fed Middleton on the doorstep, but Hasek made the save. Niedermayer grabbed the rebound in the corner and Federko got caught hooking him while trying to keep the play alive. The crowd roared as they realized the Red Wings were going to the PP with 1:40 remaining in the third period.

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
Cyclone Taylor took control for Detroit. Off the draw he carried the puck in and gained the zone. The Wings set up their PP and moved the puck with ease. Taylor got a good shot off that deflected off of Cleghorn's leg and went just wide. Iginla got it back to the point again. Taylor sent another shot towards the goal... Gillies tips it and DING right off the iron. Iginla again fights for and wins the puck in the corner. He sends it back to the point where Taylor and Owen play catch. Taylor then sets one up for Owen at the top of the circle for a one timer... and his stick SNAPS on the shot. Cleghorn leaps onto the puck and suddenly it's a two on one for Cleghorn and Goyette. Taylor sticks his stick out, but Cleghorn gets the pass just over the shaft lightly enough to land right onto Goyette's stick for the one timer and shorthanded goal. Lada scores! Goyette is mobbed by the penalty killers. They call time out to rest their top guys and shut the door the rest of the away. The wind is taken out of Detroit's sails and the crowd is completely deflated. Lada stuns the Red Wings by clawing back from down 3-1 in the series. A team who looked outclassed in the first four games found a way to come back and win agains the mighty Red Wings machine. One overtime goal for Detroit and this series could've been a sweep. Instead, for the first time in ATD history a 5th ranked team has advanced to the division finals.

Last edited:

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
SCORING SUMMARY

PERIOD 1

Лада Тольятти at 1:18 - Mark Howe from Wayne Gretzky and John Tonelli
Detroit Red Wings at 5:55 - Jarome Iginla from Herbie Lewis
Detroit Red Wings at 19:45 (PP) - Cyclone Taylor from Jarome Igilna

PERIOD 2

Лада Тольятти at 4:13 - Wayne Gretzky from Bernie Federko and Murray Murdoch
Лада Тольятти at 12:26 (PP) - Rick Middleton from Mark Howe and Wayne Gretzky
Detroit Red Wings at 15:41 - Clark Gillies from Cyclone Taylor and Moose Vasko

PERIOD 3

Лада Тольятти at 19:10 (SH) - Phil Goyette from Sprague Cleghorn

PENALTY SUMMARY

PERIOD 1

Лада Тольятти at 6:18 - Mark Howe for Slashing (2 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 14:18 - Phil Goyette for Tripping (2 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 18:37 - Phil Goyette for Holding (2 Min.)
Detroit Red Wings at 19:48 - Phil Watson for Interference (2 Min.)

PERIOD 2

Лада Тольятти at 8:22 - Tomas Sandstrom for Holding (2 Min.)
Detroit Red Wings at 9:54 - Scott Niedermayer for Spearing (4 Min.)
Detroit Red Wings at 10:29 - Eric Nesterinko for Hooking (2 Min.)

PERIOD 3

Detroit Red Wings at 8:00 - Justin Zellweger for Interference (2 Min.)
Лада Тольятти at 18:20 - Bernie Federko for Hooking (2 Min.)

GAME STARS

First Star: Wayne Gretzky LAD (1 goal 2 assists)
Second Star: Cyclone Taylor DET (1 goal, 1 assist)
Third Star: Phil Goyette (1 goal)

SCORING
Лада Тольятти 1 2 1 4
Detroit Red Wings 2 1 0 3

SHOTS
Лада Тольятти 10 15 15 40
Detroit Red Wings 11 10 12 33

POWER PLAYS
Лада Тольятти 1 for 4
Detroit Red Wings 1 for 5

Last edited:

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
SERIES THREE STARS

1) Wayne Gretzky LAD (4 goals, 9 assists)
2) Dominik Hasek DET (3 wins, 2 shut outs, 93.75 save percentage)
3) Cyclone Taylor DET (4 goals, 6 assists)

Notables:

Sprague Cleghorn LAD (1 goal, 3 assits in 6 games)
Jarome Iginla DET (5 goals, 1 assist in 6 games)
Bill Cook LAD (3 goals and 3 assists)
Marty Barry DET (6 assists)
Harry Lumley LAD (4 wins, 92.45 save percentage)

Also getting votes: Mark Howe LAD, Moose Vasko DET, John Tonelli LAD, Yvan Cournoyer DET

POWER PLAYS

Detroit: 7 for 27 (25.9%)
Lada: 2 for 27 (7.4%)

Didn't really plan for that to happen! I guess Gretz and company will have to re-tool the PP for the next series. For the record I really liked both of your teams. Hope my write ups did them justice.

For the record, Gretzky has a two series total of 12 goals, 21 assists and 32 points in 13 games.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Wow. Great series. I don't actually find the outcome incredibly surprising, as Lada is among the strongest 5th seeds of all-time in what might be the most stacked division of all-time. I guess this is a good argument against only having the top-4 teams in a division making the playoffs.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
wow!
i really wasn't expecting a win. anyway, congratulations to spitfire on a great team.

great job on the writeup as always, shawnmullin.

i just hope this isn't a bad omen for the real red wings...:(

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Darn, I thought I had this one.

Lada is a very good team I had them ranked 1st in the division and glad to see a good guy like nik move on, I'll be pulling for your team. Most importantly let's hope the Wings win tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad