ATD #9 Jim Robson Quarterfinal: #1 Nanaimo Clippers vs. #8 Vancouver Millionaires

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Personally I think that Pit's offense is being completely underrated. It could just be me but in Clarke and Boucher I think Nanaimo may have the two best forwards in the series.

MB, I'm sorry that the ATD left a bad taste in your mouth, but definitely come back. The two teams I had ranked first and second were Trail and Buffalo. Mullin's first entry is the only team I've ever seen get swept! And Pappy was out in the first round in his first two drafts, I think he even thought about not coming back after the second one. If nothing else you learn a lot more here than you do in the HOH board.

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
Personally I think that Pit's offense is being completely underrated. It could just be me but in Clarke and Boucher I think Nanaimo may have the two best forwards in the series.

MB, I'm sorry that the ATD left a bad taste in your mouth, but definitely come back. The two teams I had ranked first and second were Trail and Buffalo. Mullin's first entry is the only team I've ever seen get swept! And Pappy was out in the first round in his first two drafts, I think he even thought about not coming back after the second one. If nothing else you learn a lot more here than you do in the HOH board.

I blame Bernie Nicholls for everything. I've never liked him.

Tastes are subjective... the point of this process (As much as it is nice to get recognition from your peers) is to have fun and learn about the history of the game.

It's interesting to me how what I believe about making a good team has changed since that first draft. Back then I tried to find the guys with the best PPG. Just an all-star team of scorers. My appreciation for other aspects of the game and for the deeper history of the game has widened significantly since that time. However, we all have the styles we like and appreciate more. What's important is enjoying the process and your own team.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
It has definitely left a bitter taste in my mouth and no you dont need 6 people defending when you will have possesion of the puck 60% of the time.

Pfft, go check out my first team. You're team is a ton better then that team was, and similarly to you, I had a good offense with a terrible defense. Difference is, you have Patrick Roy, and I had Tony Esposito. You definitely should come back next time man, you now know what kind of team you're gonna need to build, and you had a awesome forward core this draft. Do what I did (or tried to at least) and in your next draft, fix up your defensive game. Although it's different from being an NHL GM, it's kinda the same idea. With a revamped defensive unit, if you can pull of the same/similar forward corpse, along with a Roy or a Plante, you'll be much higher then 8th.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
I have to agree with what's been said, mb. You put together a hell of a team for a first timer and were unfortunate in that you were going up against quite a few experienced GMs in our division. Add to that the shrinking gap between top and bottom teams and the overall parity that's around now (meaning it's a lot harder to differentiate yourself), and I hope that you aren't discouraged by finishing eighth.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I am definitely discouraged by finishing 8th. And Pit, I would love an explanation of how Boucher is the better career playmaker than Forsberg:

'Berg: 706GP 636A

Boucher: 548GP 262A

? I could use a good laugh.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
I am definitely discouraged by finishing 8th. And Pit, I would love an explanation of how Boucher is the better career playmaker than Forsberg:

'Berg: 706GP 636A

Boucher: 548GP 262A

? I could use a good laugh.

Using career numbers to directly compare two players who played in different eras with vastly different scoring averages doesn't really work. With respect to the ATD, we're generally using how players perform relative to their peers when establishing context for their achievements. Boucher led the league in assists three times, was second four times, and had two other top-10 finishes. Forsberg had one first place, one second place, one third place and four other top-10 finishes.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Roy Steals Game 1 For Millionares​

First Period
The opening action of game 1, was based on end-to-end play. There were no goals in the first, but plenty of scoring chances and shots. In fact after the first period, the scoring chances were slated as 7-5 in favour for Nanaimo. The shots were 21-19 for Nanaimo. So why was it 0-0 after the first period? Well, 2 names come to mind...Benedict and Roy. Clint Benedict stopped all 19 shots he faced including a breakaway and 7 shots recorded on 2 PP's. Weird thing was...he wasn't even the best goalie in that period. Patrick Roy made 21 saves. 3 of those saves came off breakaways and 1 of them off of a 2-on-1. Patrick proved why he is regarded by some as the best to ever play within the nets. What a start to this epic matchup.

Second Period
Did I say Patrick Roy was playing good? Can I repeat myself? Roy would face another 16 shots including another breakaway and 3 PP's in the second period. Benedict played well but would finally be beaten by a pretty decent bet for providing offence. His name is Peter Forsberg. I think some of you might know the guy. Peter would deflect a shot into the back of the net after screening the goaltender while the point shot was being taken by Randy Carlyle to make it 1-0 Vancouver. Benedict would however go on to stop the remaining 9 shots he faced in the period to keep the score 1-0 going into the third period.

Third Period
I think I just collapsed. Patrick Roy just gave up a goal. Yeah, thats right. The first shot Patty faced in the third period would be a top-shelf beauty by Sergei Makarov to tie up the score at 1-1. But don't worry Vancouver fans. Patrick shut the door the rest of the way in the third. Making an amazing 27 saves in the last 12 minutes. This game was going to OT.

Overtime
Reg Noble is on a breakaway. He goes in, tries to fake the goaltender with the deke, pulls it back to his stick to unload the wrister but is absolutely robbed by Patrick Roy!! Roy plays it over to Gonchar. Gonchar skates up and finds Henri Richard coming off the bench! Richard skates in one-on-one with Red Horner. He takes a wild slapshot...it hits the crossbar...comes back...and bounces in off the goaltender!!!!!! VANCOUVER WINS!!!!

Vancouver leads series 1-0.

End of Game Press Conference
"That is the best I have ever seen a goalie play. Honest to God, I have never seen such an amazing performance. 65 saves on 66 shots is just jaw-dropping. This could go down as one of the best performances ever. I think our team played well. We could've easily won the game 7-1 and not lose 2-1. Roy won't always we that good so hopefully we can come back next game."
- Jack Adams

"Our offence was great and our goaltending was unbeatable. What more to say? We need to cut down on the number of shots and scoring chances we give up. 66 shots and 28 scoring chances is just not acceptable on any level. That is about as bad as we can play defensively. But hey a win is a win. And we are winning."
- Pat Quinn

roy.gif

"That is the best I have ever seen a goalie play. Honest to God, I have never seen such an amazing performance."
- Jack Adams on Patrick Roy's legendary performance.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Offense is the Story in Game 2​

First Period
Patrick Roy was simply dominant last game. Possible the best game ever tended. He faced alot of shots last game. And that trend continued. The difference is...Patrick Roy gave up 3 goals in the first period alone. He would face 22 shots and 6 scoring chances which provided the Nanaimo Clippers with a 3-0 lead after the first period. Benedict wasn't very busy as he only faced 8 shots and one scoring chance. The goals were scored by Reg Noble, Bobby Clarke and Woody Dumart.

Second Period
It was clear that there was nothing the goaltenders could do to stop the offense. It was Patrick Roy's turn in the first to give up goals. This time, it was Clint Benedict's. Clint would face 17 shots in total in the second, surrendering 3 goals himself. Kovalev had 2 of the goals while Mahovlich chipped in with the other. Roy would only face 11 shots and made one beauty save on a Alex Kovalev breakaway. 3-3 going into the third period.

Third Period
.18 seconds in it was 4-3. For who? Well for Vancouver ofcourse. Sergei Gonchar skated over the line and just ripped one right through the pads of Benedict to give Vancouver the advantage. That lead would last about .26 seconds, when Bobby Clarke would drive to the net with the puck and wack home his second goal of the game. Just 4 minutes later, Clarke would find Maltsev alone in front to score the fifth goal for Nanaimo and to give the Clippers the 5-4 lead. With .54 seconds left, the Millionares pull Roy to send out the extra attacker. Forsberg skates around the oppositions net and finds Brett Hull alone in the slot. Slapshot. 5-5. OT...again.

Overtime
This one would last a while. Both goalies made gamesaving saves regularly including a total of 5 breakaways and 45 shots between the two tenders. But with 1:19 remaining in OT, Bobby Clarke would take a shot from the slot and bang home his own rebound to give his Nanaimo Clippers the 6-5 win and the 1-1 tie in the series.

Series is tied 1-1.

End of Game Press Conference

"Hard fought win. Once again, both goalies were great. The score makes it look like they werent. Clint faced 52 shots in the game while Patrick faced 61 shots. Both goalies did there very best to keep each team in the game. But the offence was the story tonight."
- Jack Adams

"They outscored us. Nothing else besides that. Pat played fine. They just put the black disk in the mesh one more time than we did."
- Pat Quinn

bobbyclarke.jpg

Bobby Clarke was all smiles after a 3 goal and 2 assist performance earning a split in the first 2 contests.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Fetisov, Benedict Dominate Millionares​

First Period
Clint Benedict was very strong in the first period, facing 16 shots including 3 scoring chances and Clint never gave an inch. And he most certainly did not give up a goal. Slava Fetisov would score the only goal for either team in the first period with a hard point shot that saw through the traffic in front, and found its way into the back of the net. Fetisov also layed out Forsberg so hard that he would have to leave the game momentarily.

Second Period
Benedict was an absolute rock in the second. Another 13 shots. Another 13 saves. Another clean sheet. And another goal for Fetisov! Not really known for scoring goals, Fetisov made his mark again with a carbon copy of his first goal to give Nanaimo the 2-0 lead. Roy was solid but not spectacular through the first two periods. He faced 21 shots and gave up 2 goals while only facing 5 scoring chances.

Third Period
Clint Benedict was good enough for the shutout in this game stopping all 12 shots he faced in the third period to give the Nanaimo Clippers the win and the lead in the series. With just 6 minutes left, Fetisov sprung Frank Boucher on a breakaway, and Frank didn't miss. Game ended 3-0 Nanaimo.

Nanaimo leads series 2-1.

P196502S.jpg

It was Clint's turn to shine in game 3 stopping all 41 shots he faced.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Roy Shines Again, But in Losing Effort​

First Period
Patrick Roy has been great all series long. He was much the same in game 4. Problem was, his team's juggernaut offence couldn't get anything going against Fetisov and Benedict. No goals were scored in the first period and the shots were 18-3 in favour of Nanaimo. Roy left the ice shaking his head in disgust.

Second Period
Once again, no goals would be scored in the period. And once again. Patrick Roy would dominate a period. Roy faced 16 shots including a breakaway by Makarov in which he flashed the leather. Fetisov is simply shutting Vancouver's offence down by himself. Only 4 shots this period. 7 shots in total through 2 periods for Vancouver. When Fetisov is on the ice, there has yet to be a shot for the Millionares.

Third Period
The first goal of the game would be registered with just 2:12 remaining in the game when Ivan Hlinka would receive a cross-ice pass on a 2-on-2 to break the ice. But with the goalie pulled and with under .20 seconds remaining, Ken Morrow would rifle a shot that would go off both posts and into the net to tie it up and send the game to OT.

Overtime
What can you say about Patrick Roy? He did everything he could to keep his team in the game. But a two many men on the ice penalty would cost the Vancouver Millionares. Viacheslav Fetisov would find Frank Boucher around the hashmarks, who would send a cross-ice pass to Reg Noble who put home the easy tap in to win the game for Nanaimo and send Vancouver to the brink.

Nanaimo leads series 3-1.

one_fetisov01.jpg

When he was on the ice, Vancouver only recorded 2 shots. Just simply amazing.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Roy who? Nanaimo wins it in 5!​

First Period
Patrick Roy has proven in this series why he is one of the best goaltenders of all-time. He would try to continue that legacy tonight. He had a decent start other than one mistake. He faced 14 shots surrendering one goal to Woody Dumart which was assisted by Bobby Clarke. Benedict was perfect on the 9 shots he faced.

Second Period
If there was a reward for the third best goaltender in the series, it would have to go to Slava Fetisov. The guy is simply dominating out there. 6 blocked shots alone in this period. He threw 4 hits. And when on the ice, the Millionares have had 3 shots on net. Talk about complete and utter domination. No goals were scored as both goalies were strong in facing 10 shots a piece.

Third Period
Bobby Clarke would score the first goal of the period with just 7:58 remaining in the game. Valeri Kamensky would answer on a great set-up by Peter Forsberg to cut the lead back down to 2-1. And with just seconds remaining, the heroics would kick in again for Vancouver. As Joe Mullen would find the back of the net on a low hard shot from the slot to tie it up and keep his team alive.

Overtime
Roy was amazing. But when 3-on-0's happen. Not many goalies stand a chance. That is exactly what would happen. On a horrible defensive mishap. Bobby Clarke, Reg Noble, and Alexander Maltsev were in all alone on Patrick. Noble over to Maltsev back to Clarke who feeds it quickly back to Maltsev and....SCORES!!!!!

Nanaimo wins series 4-1.

alexandermaltsev.jpg

Alexander Maltsev was the OT hero and gave Nanaimo the 4-1 series win.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
3 Stats
1. Patrick Roy (1-4, 2.50 GAA, .930 SV%)
2. Bobby Clarke (4 Goals, 6 Assists, 10 Points, 24 PIM)
3. Slava Fetisov (2 Goals, 2 Assists, 4 Points, +9, 29 Hits, 21 Blocked Shots)

Congrats to Nanaimo. And Vancouver, you had a great team. Your offence was strong. You had the best goaltender arguably, of all time and overall you built a solid team. I hope you return and try to build on this great team you built this year.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Thanks for the great write-ups, chaos.

Hope you're back for the next draft, MB. Not only did you team deserve a higher seeding this year, you were probably just one player away from deserving home ice advantage.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Thanks for the great write-ups, chaos.

Hope you're back for the next draft, MB. Not only did you team deserve a higher seeding this year, you were probably just one player away from deserving home ice advantage.

Yep, I agree completely. Top to bottom our division may have been the tightest, and I think that mb put together a team that deserved better.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Using career numbers to directly compare two players who played in different eras with vastly different scoring averages doesn't really work. With respect to the ATD, we're generally using how players perform relative to their peers when establishing context for their achievements. Boucher led the league in assists three times, was second four times, and had two other top-10 finishes. Forsberg had one first place, one second place, one third place and four other top-10 finishes.

Its too easy to just look at where they ranked among their peers during their era. Forsberg was oft injured, you know that just as much as I do. The man won a Hart, was named to first all-star teams etc. based on his playmaking ability. I know for damn sure he wasnt known as a goalscorer what with his career high in 30. On top of being the superior two way player 'Berg was also a better playmaker than Boucher. Case closed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad