ATD 2024 (sign-up thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
ATD 2024

DEADLINE to join: Wednesday, January 31st at noon eastern.
- IS HERE. SIGN UP IS FINISHED.

Draft order will be randomized and it'll be announced by a mod by Friday.

Then, if they want, GMs can switch their entire pick order in the snake draft.

The draft clock will begin Monday, February 5th. The 1st round clock will be 24 hours long, dropping to 12 hours for round 2.

There will be 24 rounds, with 18 starting skaters, 2 goalies, a coach and three others for the bench. After the draft there will be votes tallied by an ex-ATDer or mod and a regular season standings list resulting. Then playoff match-ups.

What's your team name (city and nickname)?

1. Leaf Lander - Toronto Maple Leafs
2. Hitru & Professor What - Gallifrey TARDIS
3. Habsfan18 & VanIslander - Broome Dusters
4. Voight - Lone Star Brahmas
5. jigglysquishy - Regina Capitals
6. ImporterExporter & Johnny Engine - Trois Rivieres AC
7. Claude the Fraud - Cape Breton Eagles
8. GKJ - Philadelphia Firebirds
9. axman15 - Hamilton Tigers
10. Hawkeytown18 - Chicago Shamrocks
11. Transplanted Caper - Sydney Millionaires
12. Hockey Stathead - Detroit Vipers
13. MVP of West Hollywd - Drumheller Dinosaurs
14. BenchBrawl - Canadiens de Montréal
15. tony d - California Golden Seals
16. nabby12 - Winnipeg Falcons
16. Keith Tkachuk & tinyzombies - Vagabonds de Montréal
18. ResilientBeast & rmartin65 - Montreal Victorias
19. The Macho King - Richmond Renegades
20. Boreal01 - Cleveland Barons
21. Dr. John Carlson - Hogsmeade Lunas
22. BraveCanadian - Guelph Platers
23. spitsfan24 - Team Windsor

It's a no-trade draft.
But remember, if you don't like the randomized draft position, you will have a few days to ask another team to swap draft positions prior to the draft clock beginning, presuming that team hasn't already picked.

Draft order released:

1. @Dr John Carlson - Hogsmeade Lunas
2. @tony d - California Golden Seals
3. @ImporterExporter & @Johnny Engine - Trois Rivieres AC
4. @MVP of West Hollywd - Drumheller Dinosaurs
5. @GKJ - Philadelphia Firebirds
6. @spitsfan24 - Team Windsor
7. @axman15 - Hamilton Tigers
8. @Hockey Stathead - Detroit Vipers
9. @Voight - Lone Star Brahmas
10. @nabby12 - Winnipeg Falcons
11. @Transplanted Caper - Sydney Millionaires
12. @The Macho King - Richmond Renegades
13. @BenchBrawl - Canadiens de Montréal
14. @Leaf Lander - Toronto Maple Leafs
15. @Hitru & @Professor What - Gallifrey TARDIS
16. @BraveCanadian - Guelph Platers
17. @Habsfan18 & @VanIslander - Broome Dusters
18. @Keith Tkachuk & @tinyzombies - Vagabonds de Montréal
19. @Boreal01 - Cleveland Barons
20. @jigglysquishy - Regina Capitals
21. @Claude The Fraud - Cape Breton Eagles
22. @ResilientBeast & @rmartin65 - Montreal Victorias
23. @Hawkey Town 18 - Chicago Shamrocks

Note: 18 & 22 swapped.
Then 22 & 23 swapped.
Then 13 & 20 swapped.
Then 20 & 22 swapped.

Last edited:

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Broome Dusters - Habsfan18 & VanIslander

@VanIslander and I have decided to team up again this year after we go-GMed two clubs back in ATD 2020.

I hope to see a great turnout this year. And maybe some fresh ideas and changes to bring back the interest level.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Broome is the hometown of the famous cartoonist Johnny Hart of the B.C. comic strip in syndicated newspapers for decades, who designed the town's team's logo.

Last edited:

Hitru

Jan 17, 2019
I confirm my participation with Professor.

If we allow 3 trades does that mean only trades involving draft picks or also players that have been drafted already?

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
No distinction between type of trade is usually made, except even in a no-trade draft, anyone can trade their draft position (trade every round pick by simply swapping 1st round draft position (for those who want to be at the start/end of rounds, or the middle of rounds).

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Lone_Star_Brahmas.svg.png

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
We will start at the end of January.
That gives weeks to join.
Let's make 2024 awesome!
Propose how-to, what to, whatever.

It's the 20th anniversary of all-time drafts!

Reactions: Leaf Lander

Hitru

Jan 17, 2019
Is everyone ok with 3 trades per team suggestion? Should we have a veto/trade acceptance process in place?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
We will start at the end of January.
That gives weeks to join.
Let's make 2024 awesome!
Propose how-to, what to, whatever.

It's the 20th anniversary of all-time drafts!
20 years eh? It’s been a long time since I’ve been part of this, and it’s evolved greatly over time. 20th anniversary seems like a good chance to do it again. Also pay it forward to those who joined our football draft last summer. Sign me up for the Philadelphia Firebirds

1704915750761.jpeg

PhillyFirebirds10_1800x.jpg

axman15

Sep 6, 2012
Toronto
Would love to take part in this - put me down for the Hamilton Tigers.

First time taking part in one of these on this site, do we pick players based on full career or based on their peak (i.e., best 10 year window)?

Reactions: tinyzombies

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
First time taking part in one of these on this site, do we pick players based on full career or based on their peak (i.e., best 10 year window)?
Based on whole career. Of course peak versus consistency is always a consideration in terms of reliability. A guy like 18-time 1st or 2nd team all-star Bourque always goes top 10 because he is always great whereas Coffey never goes top 20 because his heights come with valleys away from the puck and in other cities. Mike Bossy has never been top 10 due to injuries. This is a history-based draft, not a simulator. In the academic discipline of history, all factors are considered in generating what-if counterfactual conditions for analysis. The point is to understand hockey history MORE!

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express

Welcome! There are many wonderful threads you can look over to get a "handle" on how the ATD usually runs.

It can seem overwhelming because we pick players dating back to the late 1800's and obviously the casual fan doesn't generally know much about hockey history before the current era to 80's/90's. I sure didn't!

There is no right way to do this. Just have fun, and ask questions! There are many great folks in here who have been doing this for a long time and are quick to help.

A few good threads to use as you get started:

-Nice starting point to give you a general idea how the hockey history folks view player rankings.

ATD Master Bio Thread
-This is an amazing thread that you can read up on hundreds of players and coaches from the entire hockey history arc. Dozens of folks have poured countless hours into gathering info and creating bio's on players.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I went to an IHL Vipers game when in grad school across the river in Windsor. The player who won rookie of the year AND defensive player of the year - a real feat for an 18 year old in a league of 22 year olds, Sergei Samsonov, went on to the NHL the next year as the Bruins other 1st round pick, he winning the tough HHOF coach Patty Burns' favor over their disappointing earlier pick curly-haired lackadaisical Joe Thornton. Sammy went on help Edmonton with Peca and Prongs on a playoff run, but Jumbo Joe changed his game in San Jose and had a better career.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Check out previous drafts. They'll give you an idea of where guys get picked. I.e. depends on who you've already drafted but it serves as a good guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad