VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Bob Cole division:

Gallifrey Tardis

coach Pete Green

Dickie Moore - Howie Morenz - Bernie Geoffrion
Jere Lehtinen - Joe Malone (A) - Daniel Alfredsson (A)
Esa Tikkanen - Adam Oates - Alexander Mogilny
Charlie Simmer - Doug Jarvis - Patrick Sharp
Kris Draper, Johnny Gaudreau

Paul Coffey - Valeri Vasiliev (C)
Herb Gardiner - Larry Murphy
Kevin Lowe - Ted Green
Adam Fox

Hugh Lehman
Pekka Rinne

vs.

Emerald Flowsion

coach Glen Sather

Frank Mahovlich - Phil Esposito - Rod Gilbert
Busher Jackson - Henri Richard (A) - David Pastrnak
Joe Klukay - Duke Keats - Gordie Drillon
Rick Martin - Joel Otto - Mark Stone
Henrik Sedin, Mikko Rantanen

Ray Bourque (C) - Erik Karlsson
Ken Reardon - Fern Flaman (A)
Willie Mitchell - P.K. Subban
Glen Harmon

Clint Benedict
Roberto Luongo

Last edited:

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
Gallifrey special teams:

PP1:
Mogilny
Morenz Oates Geoffrion
Coffey

PP2:
Simmer
Alfredsson Malone Moore
Murphy

PK1:
Jarvis Lehtinen Vasiliev Gardiner

PK2:
Oates Tikkanen Lowe Green​

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
Some things that we think Gallifrey has going for it:

1) The top line is the best unit in the series, and one of the best units in the league.

2) All four lines have both some offensive and defensive ability.

3) We think Lehman is comparable to Benedict in net, while we feel that our offense is the clearly better one.

4) We know the criticisms that will come from having Coffey and Murphy on the blue line, but we feel that we have four solid defensive defensemen and a good shutdown pair. In addition, with multiple forwards capable of Selke-level defense and three left wings capable of playing the left wing lock, we don't feel that Lehman will be hung out to dry, which, I believe was one of his problems in Stanley Cup challenges.

More to come. I want to give my partner and esteemed opponent a chance to chime in if they wish.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
So, I'll go ahead and make a deeper dive into things.

Comparing first lines, as individual pieces, I feel that Gallifrey is clearly better at center and right wing, and that left wing is more or less equal (though I admit that I'd give the slightest of edges at that position to Emerald). But the beauty of the first line for Gallifrey is that it's more than the sum of its parts. As already said, we feel that not only is it the best unit in this series, but it's one of the best units in the league. I don't think there's a team in the competition that our first line wouldn't play effectively against.

At second line, I find it to be closer. As far as individual pieces go, I'd give the advantage here to Emerald, but the skill sets of the players on our second line mesh well, imo. We've got a goalscorer extraordinaire in Malone, and a LW that is more than capable of potting a few goals himself, but whose defensive prowess frees Malone up to do his thing in the attacking end, relieving him of the defensive responsibilities that a center usually takes on. In Alfredsson, we've got a well-rounded right winger who can do whatever is asked of him. One of the biggest things we'll be asking him to do is to help get the puck to Malone, which he should be more than capable of doing. He's really the kind of guy whose role can change based on the situation or roster.

On the third line, I see similar constructions. Both centers have a reputation for being able to set up their linemates. Both left wingers are going to be expected to take on defensive responsibilites (and can do so at an elite level). Klukay is the defensive superior, but Tikkanen offers a more well-rounded game, and is capable of Selke level defense himself. Putting him next to Oates, who was solid defensively should mean that this line won't give any ground to anyone. Both right wingers bring high-level goal scoring. The thing I like about our third line in particular is that I feel that I think that the Oates-Mogilny pairing is very similar to the Lafontaine-Mogilny pairing that produced 76 goals for Mogilny. Yes, I know that there were some high marks in the 1992-93 season, but no matter how it's sliced, 76 goals is an impressive number. It takes something special to produce something like that.

On the fourth line, both centers will be playing high level defense. The biggest difference, I feel, is that Jarvis will do it in a much cleaner way. The problem for Otto is that he won't be out there killing a good number of penalties because he'll be the one in the box. At right wing, Stone is the defensive superior, while Sharp is the offensive superior, though both guys are decent two-way players. Both left wings are going to chip in goals, and I think both teams can roll four lines. I like Jarvis's cleaner play as the "tie-breaker" between the two lines. The biggest reason we wanted Jarvis was for his PK ability, and he'll actually be out there to do it.

On defense, there's no question that Emerald has the best defenseman in the series. It would be ridiculous to try to argue otherwise. I'll concede the first pairing to our opponent, though I do think we gain something on the fit. Vasiliev is a physical player who should be able to hold down his own end and allow Coffey to do what Coffey does best. I also want to point out that while I'd give Karlsson the edge with peak play, I think Vasiliev will prove to be more consistent. While you don't know what you're going to get from Karlsson year to year, you know what Vasiliev will be.

If the defenseman project is to be believed, Murphy and Reardon are nearly perfect equals, though with much different roles. The Flowsion second pair is going to be excellent defensively, but it's going to miss the breakout ability that Murphy will bring to Gallifrey. Once again, I like the fit between the two defensemen that we have, and I think that's important for a second pairing.

On the third pairing, I just feel like one of these things is not the the others. We've got our shutdown pair here that will get minutes when we're trying to hold onto a lead late, and PK Subban is a fine defenseman, but I'm not so sure where Mitchell fits into an ATD. I kind of feel like that alone defaults the third pairing to Gallifrey.

On goaltending, I've already said what I have to say, so I won't add anything else there for now other than repeat that Lehman should be roughly even with Benedict, and he's got a better supporting cast than he did historically, when he struggled in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad