ATD 2023 Lineup Advice Thread

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Post your lineup questions here

Who should get the other A on my squad? Seems Zetterberg and Bergeron are the two best candidates.

Coach: Jon Cooper

Henrik Zetterberg <-> Joe Malone - Andy Bathgate
Herbie Lewis - Bill Cowley - Bill Cook (A)
Bun Cook - Patrice Bergeron - Punch Broadbent
Nick Metz - Dale Hawerchuk - XXX

Scott Stevens (C) - Doug Harvey
Art Ross - Tom Johnson
Roman Josi - Cy Wentworth
---- OR ----
Doug Harvey - Tom Johnson
Scott Stevens (C) - Art Ross

Vladislav Tretiak

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Good to see this thread up, I have most of my starting lineup picked plus a rough draft for my special teams. Wondering if this is the right idea for special teams for my team:

Brantford Alexanders

Coach: Glen Sather

Frank Mahovlich-Howie Morenz-Bryan Hextall
Valeri Kharlamov-Doug Gilmour-Theo Fleury
Vladimir Petrov-Ziggy Palffy
Joe Klukay-Cooney Weiland-Ron Ellis

Paul Coffey-Rod Langway
Allan Stanley-Hod Stuart
Ryan Suter-Barry Beck

Special Teams:

PP 1: Valeri Kharlamov-Howie Morenz-Theo Fleury-Paul Coffey-Hod Stuart
PP 2: Frank Mahovlich- Doug Gimour, Bryan Hextall, Ryan Suter, Barry Beck

PK 1: Joe Klukay,Cooney Weiland, Rod Langway, Allan Stanley
PK 2: Doug Gilmour, Ron Ellis, Ryan Suter, Barry Beck

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Good to see this thread up, I have most of my starting lineup picked plus a rough draft for my special teams. Wondering if this is the right idea for special teams for my team:

Brantford Alexanders

Paul Coffey-Rod Langway
Allan Stanley-Hod Stuart
Ryan Suter-Barry Beck

Special Teams:

Seems like either Mahovlich or Hextall should be on PP1 over Fleury

Reactions: tony d

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York

Who should get the other A on my squad? Seems Zetterberg and Bergeron are the two best candidates.

Art Ross - Tom Johnson
---- OR ----

Vladislav Tretiak

I think Stevens over Cook for the C is crazy talk.

Do you know anything about Bill Cook's military service record?

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Wikipedia links this article about Cook’s service in Russia. One of his fellow soldiers said “Bill Cook was one of the bravest men I have ever known.” Worth reading.

Edit: here’s the full quote.

Jim Donahue of Kingston. Ont., told about Cook's soldiering in a letter to Bill Walshe of Kingston. Cook and Donahue were members of a Canadian artillery expedition sent in 1918 to the Archangel sector of North Russia. Bitter fighting lasted into June, 1919. Donahue wrote: “Cook was one of the bravest men I have ever known. Not many of us are left who remember his dangerous job of bringing up from advanced headquarters to the scattered gun pits up front the daily rations and necessities — dragging them through the deep snow and bolo-ridden woods on an old-fashioned Russian droshky drawn by Russian ponies, who became quite used to the fine, full Bill Cook English-Russian cuss words. It was quite a sight to see him with a huge .45 strapped to his leg. in true western style, and his long Russian rifle at the ready, shoving the freight through on the Malo-Bereznik road that winter, doing a job that not many others wanted.”

Last edited:

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Wikipedia links this article about Cook’s service in Russia. One of his fellow soldiers said “Bill Cook was one of the bravest men I have ever known.” Worth reading.

Edit: here’s the full quote.

I believe he was a sergeant.

Ok, you guys convinced me, Bill Cook will wear the C. Even if him and Stevens are close as far as leadership abilities, I like to default to giving the C to the better overall player in that situation, which is Cook.

Thanks!

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland

Brantford Alexanders

Paul Coffey-Rod Langway
Allan Stanley-Hod Stuart
Ryan Suter-Barry Beck

Special Teams:

Don't know about "giving advise", but it feels weird to have Valeri Kharlamov and Vladimir Petrov on the same team and not playing together at all; in real life, they played together from late 1968 to 1980/81 (with the exception of the 1971—72 season). Shouldn't that be utilized somehow?

If not on the same line at ES, then maybe have them play together on PP2? That would mean 'lifting' Petrov and 'lowering' Kharlamov, but it wouldn't be an overly dramatic move IMO.

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

Brantford Alexanders

Paul Coffey-Rod Langway
Allan Stanley-Hod Stuart
Ryan Suter-Barry Beck

Special Teams:

I would swap Mahovlich and Kharlamov at even strength. Howie Morenz often drove the net while his LW Joliat carried the puck, and I can see a similar dynamic with Kharlamov. Plus, it lets Hextall be Kharlamov's bodyguard, something Mahovlich doesn't really need.

Art Ross - Tom Johnson
---- OR ----

Vladislav Tretiak

Zetterberg was a captain for longer than Bergeron. Probably not much of a difference, but that's some kind of deciding factor.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
I would swap Mahovlich and Kharlamov at even strength. Howie Morenz often drove the net while his LW Joliat carried the puck, and I can see a similar dynamic with Kharlamov. Plus, it lets Hextall be Kharlamov's bodyguard, something Mahovlich doesn't really need.

Why would Kharlamov need a bodyguard? He was small alright, but strong and feisty, and I don't remember him being physically manhandled in any series; it was a totally illegal play that took him out in 1972.

A two-handed slash on Mahovlich's ankle would get him injured too.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Kharlamov's among my top forwards. I think I'll showcase that more and move him to the 1st line.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Why would Kharlamov need a bodyguard? He was small alright, but strong and feisty, and I don't remember him being physically manhandled in any series; it was a totally illegal play that took him out in 1972.

A two-handed slash on Mahovlich's ankle would get him injured too.

basically, he was small. A Kharlamov-Gilmour-Fleury line is like a midget line. Mahovlich wasnt a tough guy, but he was big and strong

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada

Zetterberg was a captain for longer than Bergeron. Probably not much of a difference, but that's some kind of deciding factor.
Joliat carried? In interviews he said he felt like he was standing still as Morenz blew by him.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
So the question becomes if I need a power forward left winger to play some minutes with Gilmour and fleury at even strength? Cant see Mahovlich or Kharlamov playing full time on a 3rd line but in some instances vs some opponents it may be needed. I have a player in mind to fill that role but wanted some more opinions. Doing this would also take an earlier suggestion of playing Kharlamov and Petrov together.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
So the question becomes if I need a power forward left winger to play some minutes with Gilmour and fleury at even strength? Cant see Mahovlich or Kharlamov playing full time on a 3rd line but in some instances vs some opponents it may be needed. I have a player in mind to fill that role but wanted some more opinions. Doing this would also take an earlier suggestion of playing Kharlamov and Petrov together.

I like just switching Kharlamov and Mahovlich. Draft a LW for your 3rd line

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010

I don't know if it is a need so much as a want. Gilmour and Fleury were both gritty as all hell and didn't back down from anyone. That being said, probably best to get them a big body to win some of those battles for them because they are both on the small side.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
949B4745-A048-47E5-9E07-42D34FAAA5D2.jpeg

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Sort of a Chicken/Egg situation- the item above. Hjalmarsson-Oduya has the preponderance of their starts in the D-zone. For Kane to be mated to that pairing would be (how do I put this delicately) not the most optimal use of the Kane resource-set.

You know what they say about "a little knowledge..."

Now, Kane was a proven Playoff Beast... and it's fortunate that he was- because if he wasn't, his uni-directional tool-kit would be such that there'd be over a dozen RWs in Hockey History that I'd choose over him. [That said, he did have all those Playoffs- so he just might eke into my top-10...]

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
This is our current thinking. Any input is welcome.

Brendan Shanahan - Syl Apps (A) - Charlie Conacher
Alexander Yakushev - Connor McDavid - Pavel Bure
Don Marshall - Ron Francis (A) - Corey Perry
Markus Naslund - Vyacheslav Starshinov - Dave Taylor

Slava Fetisov (C) - Valeri Vasiliev
Ken Reardon - Red Horner
Mark Giordano - Ken Randall
PK Subban

Dominik Hasek
Pekka Rinne

Power Play
First Unit
Shannahan
McDavid-Apps-Conacher
Fetisov

Second Unit
Perry
Yakushev-Francis-Bure
Reardon

Penalty Kill
First Unit
Marshall-Starshinov-Fetisov-Vasiliev

Second Unit
Francis-Bure-Reardon-Randall

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
My first thought is- lotta Regular Season minutes for Fetisov. I hesitated to give PP1 & PK1 responsibilities to Potvin in ATD... and most people think Potvin's better. {I totally understand there's a defensible contrary position.)

Of course, this comes from a guy who has Lidström on PP1 & PK1- but (if reviewing the time-on-ice sheet), one will see that Gimli will shade more PP time (vs. PK time) to Lidström. Maybe I'm underestimating ALL these guys. Still... what's the down-side of load-managing the most important player on your team?!

You can always pull out the stops later- in your knock-out round(s).

This is where a spare PPers/PKers list or a time-on-ice chart would help me visualize the extent of the "ask" here.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
My first thought is- lotta Regular Season minutes for Fetisov. I hesitated to give PP1 & PK1 responsibilities to Potvin in ATD... and most people think Potvin's better. {I totally understand there's a defensible contrary position.)

Of course, this comes from a guy who has Lidström on PP1 & PK1- but (if reviewing the time-on-ice sheet), one will see that Gimli will shade more PP time (vs. PK time) to Lidström. Maybe I'm underestimating ALL these guys. Still... what's the down-side of load-managing the most important player on your team?!

You can always pull out the stops later- in your knock-out round(s).

This is where a spare PPers/PKers list or a time-on-ice chart would help me visualize the extent of the "ask" here.
My thought on spares (Hitru can chime in if he has a different thought since it's not something we've really gone into yet) is that Giordano can chip in on the PP and Horner on the PK (when he's not the one in the box, of course). Giordano would be able to give Fetisov a blow on the power play for sure if needed.

That said, I don't deny that we're asking a lot of Fetisov, but we've also felt from the beginning that he's capable of it. Even with all of the other 1D studs in the division, we've felt good about Fetisov and his versatility. We've talked about him as our 30 minute a night guy.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
As someone who makes an estimated minutes chart every year, I look at NHL usage in the most recent seasons as a point of reference, as I think the way we set up our teams and the parity of the current NHL make it the best comparison. In the last 10 seasons, no one has averaged 30 minutes a night for a season, and only 3 times has someone averaged 29 min or more, which happened 10, 9, and 9 years ago. In the last 5 seasons, no has averaged over 27 minutes a game.

I am still finalizing my minutes chart, but currently I have Doug Harvey at 27 minutes, I might go up to 28, but prob definitely not beyond that.

Reactions: ChiTownPhilly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad