1) All teams make the playoffs

2) Only the top two teams per division make the playoffs

3) Only the division winners make the playoffs

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I think this one is closed by now.
Probably - gonna say my piece anyway.

Playoffs are the most boring part of this, and I think the level of participation in both the threads and voting reflect that. They take place after a few months have already gone into the project, everyone has already had their say on the teams, and then... more discussion on a team by team format that feels like tilting at windmills. It may partly just be a finite amount of energy problem - hard to stay invested in something that long - but it doesn't help that the exercise itself isn't terribly exciting either.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Probably - gonna say my piece anyway.

Playoffs are the most boring part of this, and I think the level of participation in both the threads and voting reflect that. They take place after a few months have already gone into the project, everyone has already had their say on the teams, and then... more discussion on a team by team format that feels like tilting at windmills. It may partly just be a finite amount of energy problem - hard to stay invested in something that long - but it doesn't help that the exercise itself isn't terribly exciting either.

Playoffs is where we really get a chance to vet the teams and learn more about the players. I think it’s the best part of the draft.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Playoffs is where we really get a chance to vet the teams and learn more about the players. I think it’s the best part of the draft.
I'll just put this bluntly -

For you (and @TheDevilMadeMe who liked your post specifically) - I bet. Because you guys are always at the top. Credit to you two - you make amazing teams on the regular and have a depth of knowledge that's pretty much unmatched among the current crop of GMs. But us down here as the hoi poloi? Less so because we're just waiting to find out if you beat our team in 5 or 6.

And I hope you don't take that as a dig against you guys. It's not in the least.

Edit: Also my point isn't in changing the general format of the playoff discussion. That can be interesting for a lot of reasons. And for the ATD - at least now - I don't think we should make wholesale changes. I would just want to limit the field right now since the voting doesn't bring out any big changes anyway. Top 4 would be fine with me.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I'll just put this bluntly -

For you (and @TheDevilMadeMe who liked your post specifically) - I bet. Because you guys are always at the top. Credit to you two - you make amazing teams on the regular and have a depth of knowledge that's pretty much unmatched among the current crop of GMs. But us down here as the hoi poloi? Less so because we're just waiting to find out if you beat our team in 5 or 6.

And I hope you don't take that as a dig against you guys. It's not in the least.

Edit: Also my point isn't in changing the general format of the playoff discussion. That can be interesting for a lot of reasons. And for the ATD - at least now - I don't think we should make wholesale changes. I would just want to limit the field right now since the voting doesn't bring out any big changes anyway. Top 4 would be fine with me.

I'm definitely not "always on top". I think I've been a top seed like twice in 15 years.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I'm definitely not "always on top". I think I've been a top seed like twice in 15 years.

Same. It's not been until the last few seasons I've started making bigger progress. It takes time to learn the nuances and players. And there have always been some people who have flat out addmitted they don't really care about anything once the draft finishes and a lot of time that will impact their final roster make up.

I honestly think the only person still going strong who almost always finishes as a top 2 seed in the regular season and makes it through at least the first round most years is TDMM. And again, I think by and large people would agree, TDMM generally nails the draft, regardless of where he drafts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad