ATD 2022 Draft Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Orillia selects a bit of a wildcard to start our 3rd pair. He was gigantic for his era played a zestfully physical game. He was known to be reliable defensively, but he was famous for his dynamic offensive play - Babe Pratt

I'm uncertain as to whether he was good defensively and offensively at the same time. Good pick regardless. I almost picked him yesterday.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Orillia selects a bit of a wildcard to start our 3rd pair. He was gigantic for his era played a zestfully physical game. He was known to be reliable defensively, but he was famous for his dynamic offensive play - Babe Pratt

Arguably the top blueliner left at this point. Very sound pick!

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
...He was known to be reliable defensively, but he was famous for his dynamic offensive play - Babe Pratt
He was not defense first, contrary to his coach's philosophy of being careful, and when asked about why he let the rushing dman go do his thing, the coach said that when you have a talent like that, you don't stop it. This is probably similar to how Bowman never asked Lemieux to play his system: he built around him.

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
I'll take someone I've recently written about to close out my final D pairing...Bullet Joe Simpson
https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fb6d0e060-af27-4863-bf0b-1ec194e57177_882x1204.png

Check out his life story here: The Legend Of Bullet Joe Simpson

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010

The early Rob Blake

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
C1958 used to say that Ralph Backstrom was the third most important player of the Montreal 1960's dynasty. Always thought that was an interesting take.

Reading up on Toe Blake, he put a lot of responsibility on those centres. He seems to have been the first coach to have them play the current style of "working all 4 corners".

Reactions: BenchBrawl

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
C1958 used to say that Ralph Backstrom was the third most important player of the Montreal 1960's dynasty. Always thought that was an interesting take.
He was real big on guys who stuck around for full careers, from an apprenticeship-type role, to a core contributer, to a leader/mentor. That's at least a part of it. (And yes, Backstrom retired a New England Whaler, but 12 full seasons, 15 in total is plenty long enough to call a full career arc).

tabness

be a playa
Apr 4, 2014

His even strength numbers are great, and like some other unheralded Habs, when he got his shot, he certainly took it in 1961-1962 (from what I've seen I'm always higher on the "little guys" of those Montreal teams and lower on the big names).

A perfect bottom six player in this sort of thing, clearly accepted a lesser role, although talented enough to take a bigger one if need be. Before I drafted him last year, I was watching a bit of Backstrom against Espo, and he did a wonderful job on him, great skater.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
His even strength numbers are great, and like some other unheralded Habs, when he got his shot, he certainly took it in 1961-1962 (from what I've seen I'm always higher on the "little guys" of those Montreal teams and lower on the big names).

A perfect bottom six player in this sort of thing, clearly accepted a lesser role, although talented enough to take a bigger one if need be. Before I drafted him last year, I was watching a bit of Backstrom against Espo, and he did a wonderful job on him, great skater.
Skating was a big part of why I wanted him too to use in Gorman's system.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Reading up on Toe Blake, he put a lot of responsibility on those centres. He seems to have been the first coach to have them play the current style of "working all 4 corners".
He was real big on guys who stuck around for full careers, from an apprenticeship-type role, to a core contributer, to a leader/mentor. That's at least a part of it. (And yes, Backstrom retired a New England Whaler, but 12 full seasons, 15 in total is plenty long enough to call a full career arc).

Skating was a big part of why I wanted him too to use in Gorman's system.

When asked who was the 3rd best player of the 1960's dynasty, his answer:

Very easy answer. The third center, Ralph Backstrom, who assured continuity when Beliveau and Richard were hurt, could check Phil Esposito while providing offence.

All three centers were the defensive core of the team.

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
I am visiting the trophy room of a four-time Stanley Cup winner this afternoon.

There will be a gift to the person who guesses the correct player.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I am visiting the trophy room of a four-time Stanley Cup winner this afternoon.

There will be a gift to the person who guesses the correct player.
You're getting into a time machine one year into the future and going into Pat Maroon's house?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad