Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
th

Dave Kerr !!!

Awards and Achievements:

Stanley Cup Champion (1940)

First Team All-Star (1940)
Seconds Team All-Star (1938)

All-Star - 1st(1940), 2nd(1938), 3rd(1939), 4th(1937)

Statistical Accomplishments:
Games Played - 1st(1934), 1st(1937), 1st(1938), 1st(1939), 1st(1940), 1st(1941)
Wins - 2nd(1938), 2nd(1939), 2nd(1940), 3rd(1941)​

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Georges "Buck" Boucher (Part I)
upload_2018-2-14_20-38-23-jpeg.98015

Part II in the following post.

General

Legends of Hockey

"A member of one of hockey's best known families, George "Buck" Boucher was a stellar defenceman during a professional career that spanned two decades. Although he wasn't blessed with lightning speed, his proficient stickhandling and competitive zeal assured his status among the NHL's best."

"In Ottawa, he was partnered with King Clancy to form one of the toughest, most effective defence duos in the league. In fact, Boucher helped nurture the young Clancy from his first days with Ottawa and contributed significantly to the Senators' four Stanley Cup triumphs in 1920, 1921, 1923, and 1927." [LINK]

"But Cleghorn wasn't a mere bully; he was respected for exceptional defensive play that was considered to be at the same level as such stars as Eddie Gerard and George Boucher." [LINK]

"[Gerard] formed an outstanding defensive partnership with George Boucher and was the natural choice for team captain." [LINK]

Montreal Gazette Jan 13, 1934

Buck was one of the most important cogs in that great hockey machine, whose record perhaps will never be equalled. A splendid stickhandler, Buck was as great an asset to his team on the attack as on the defence.

Boucher combined all the qualities that go to make a great hockey player.He played the game hard and cleanly, for although he could hand out as hard a check as any defenceman in hockey, Buck never resorted to foul tactics. Club spirit meant everything to him. He was the fighting type of hockey player in the best sense of the term.

Buck stayed with the Maroons three seasons. He was obtained midway through the 1928-29 campaign and figured in the playoff against Boston the following year. He had the misfortune to break his leg in the third game of the series in Boston and the accident nearly ended his playing career.

The Ottawa Journal - Aug 7. 1937 (Eddie Gerard Obituary)

"Any success I may have had as a hockey player is due to my early training under Eddie and Buck Boucher." - King Clancy

"In my estimation they formed one of the greatest defence combinations ever to play in the NHL." - King Clancy

Ottawa Citizen Dec 5, 1946

Ottawa Senators have turned back the pages of hockey history in the signing of George "Buck" Boucher as coach of the 1946-47 edition of the local club now in Quebec Senior Hockey League competition.

Columns could be written about George Boucher in regard to his hockey activities. It is on record that he was as solid a defenceman as ever played. He could hand it out, and take it as well, and he was a two-way player who could either set up goals or score them himself. As before stated, he was a stickhandling wizard, and many will recall the thrills that accompanied his one-man sorties into enemy territory with the puck seemingly glued to his stick. He played with the best, and against the best, and the present-day members of the Senators are certain to profit by his experience.

Boucher played in a period when feuds were the order of the day. His private arguments, extending over seasons, with hard-hitting opponents like Ken Randall, Cully Wilson, Minnie McGiffin, Bill Coutu, Sprague Cleghorn, Eddie Shore, Ching Johnson and others of his day were classics of those times. Particularly the one with Randall.

Ottawa Citizen 3 Dec, 1946

Ottawa Senators have turned back the pages of hockey history in the signing of George "Buck" Boucher as coach of the 1946-47 edition of the local club now in Quebec Senior Hockey League competition.

Columns could be written about George Boucher in regard to his hockey activities. It is on record that he was as solid a defenceman as ever played. He could hand it out, and take it as well, and he was a two-way player who could either set up goals or score them himself. As before stated, he was a stickhandling wizard, and many will recall the thrills that accompanied his one-man sorties into enemy territory with the puck seemingly glued to his stick. He played with the best, and against the best, and the present-day members of the Senators are certain to profit by his experience.

Boucher played in a period when feuds were the order of the day. His private arguments, extending over seasons, with hard-hitting opponents like Ken Randall, Cully Wilson, Minnie McGiffin, Bill Coutu, Sprague Cleghorn, Eddie Shore, Ching Johnson and others of his day were classics of those times. Particularly the one with Randall.

Ottawa Citizen Dec 24, 1949

"Yesterday's pattern-passing plays were vastly more skillful than anybody is likely to see in the hit-and-miss ganging attacks of the enlightened era'" Mike (Rodden) says. "When (NHL President) Campbell says modern stickhandlers are as good as those of the past, he is talking arrogant nonsense." - Mike Rodden

Mike mentions Aurel Joliat, Harvey Jackson, Nels Stewart, George Boucher and a host of others as proof that no modern players can come close to the stickhandling greats of the past.

Poster nik jr comments: Rodden was a columnist and former referee

The Ottawa Journal - Dec 21, 1959 (Bill Westwick column)

The other day Frank Ahearn, the Ottawa sprtsman who was instrumental in building the Auditorium, wasi nquiring about Georges Boucher.Next to brother Frank, there probably is no greater admirer of Georges Boucher than Frank Ahearn.At that time Ahearn, one-time owner of the Senators in the National League, was wondering in that forthright but informed fashion of his, why Georges Boucher shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame.

"He was the greatest stick-handler I ever saw in hockey", Ahearn said."He was just as great a competitor, too."

[...]

But Tommy Gorman could hardly restrain himself when it got around to Georges Boucher for the Hall of Fame.

"I'm glad Frank Ahearn mentioned "Buck" for that honor.I'd back that any day or any time.I'd agree there never was a greater stickhandler than Georges Boucher, or "Buck" as we always called him.But more than that I'd say there never was a more versatile player in hockey."Buck" ended up a great defenceman, and that's what he was mainly known as in hockey.But he could play anywhere.I played him at center, at wing and at either defence position.He could play anywhere, and did.And don't forget "Buck" too was a great all-around athlete, a paddler, a baseball player and just as good at football as he was at hockey."

The Ottawa Journal - Sept 10, 1960

Boucher, a hard-blocking defenceman and accomplished puck carrier, was on four Stanley Cup teams with Ottawa.

The Ottawa Journal - Sept 10, 1960 (Bill Westwick column)

There'll be genuine satisfaction in hockey circles over the selection of George Buck Boucher to the Hall of Fame.

For Hockey has seen no more colorful nor more versatile performance than "Buck" who has been acknowledged for many years as one of the greatest stick-handlers of them all.He brought to hockey not only his stick wizardry, but brilliance as a forward in his earlier days and long history as one of the finest defenceman of his time.

Boucher, of course, was a member of one of the greatest hockey families of them all.

[...]

Both Tommy Gorman, who managed that old Ottawa club, and Frank Ahearn long have been boosters for Boucher's selection.Not so long ago Frank Ahear was re-(?)ling what he considered an all too little recognized contribution by "Buck" to the Ottawa cause.

"I always felt that Boucher", said Ahearn, "was the man who stepped in to supply our National League club with some invaluable leadership at a tough time.This was when Tommy Gorman left Ottawa to take over the New York Americans.Tommy was a leader and we needed somebody to lead(?) up the threads as a player.I always felt that apart from his own fine playing career with us, Buck Boucher did hold (?)d hold the team together."

GERARD WAS HIS IDOL: In supplying that leadership, Boucher undoubtedbly did (?) similar to that of an athlete he probably admired more than all others - the late Eddie Gerard.The latter was one of Buck's boyhood idols-as he was to so many others in New Edinburgh.

Boucher always has maintained that it was Gerard who exerted the greatest influence on him in his playing days."I always tried to follow Eddie Gerard's (?)", Buck once said, "because he was one of the greatest(?) athletes I ever knew or played with."

Buck Boucher was destined to follow in the footsteps of Eddie Gerard.He played with Eddie on Senators, became one of the finest of all-around athletes.He was an outstanding overall(?) player and starred at baseball as well as hockey.

The Ottawa Journal - Oct 22, 1960 (Bill Westwick column)

Tommy Gorman reveals that after he had signed Buck Boucher with Senators, the latter went out to take an army examination for World War I ... "Dr. A. T. Shillington:, said Tommy, "examined Buck and told me he was not only unfit for the army but shouldn't play hockey."... The report was that Buck had a heart ailment, but as Gorman remarked: "Buck just said he wasn't quitting hockey and stayed right with it."

Clancy: The King's Story

Besides Gerard on defence we had one of the finest stick-handlers the NHL has ever seen in George Boucher.Buck, as he was known, was the oldest of the Boucher brothers, and a rough-and-ready hockey player if there ever was one.I got to play alongside him after Gerard went off to coach the Montreal club.

Boucher was never too popular with the fans in Toronto.We'd be playing in the old Mutual Street Arena there and I'd be standing beside George while they played the national anthem before the game.Just before the last note died away some clown in the stands would yell out, "Old man Boucher! What a bum!"

George, red in the face, would snarl something back at the fans and I'd say, "Never mind, Buck.Don't pay any notice to those fellows."

"Well, I'll show those jokers what's goin' on in this league," he'd growl out of the corner of this mouth.And believe me, he would show them, too.Buck ewas a dandy!

All-Star Teams

Maclean's 1925 article

Charlie H. Good compiled a list in 1925 of the best all-time positional players. Good was the respected Sporting Editor for the Toronto Daily News until that paper folded in 1919. Maclean's Magazine asked Good to put a best-of list together for the March 15th edition. Good, in turn, called upon his peers in the sports writing fraternity to submit their picks. From those lists three all-star teams were compile.

1st Team

Goal : Georges Vezina
Defense : Sprague Cleghorn
Defense : Hod Stuart
Centre : Frank Nighbor
Right Wing : Allan "Scotty" Davidson
Left Wing : Tom Phillips

2nd Team

Goal : Percy Lesueur
Defense : Eddie Gerard
Defense : Georges Boucher
Centre : Russell Bowie
Right Wing : "Babe" Dye
Left Wing : Harry Watson

3rd Team

Goal : Clint Benedict / Hugh Lehman
Defense : Joe Simpson
Defense : Lester Patrick / Art Ross
Centre : Newsy Lalonde
Right Wing : George Richardson
Left Wing : Cyclone Taylor

The participants : Charles H. Good, W. A. Hewitt, Lester Patrick, J. F. Ahern, Tommy Gorman, W. J. Morrison, Lou Marsh, Bruce Boreham, K. G. H. McConnell, Roy Halpin, Ross Mackay, Harry Scott, O. F. Young, Art Ross, Frank Shaughnessey, James T. Sutherland, Bill Tackabery,
Basil O'Meara, Ed. Baker, "Dusty" Rhodes, Walter McMullin, E. W. Ferguson, Joe Kincaid, and W. A. Boys, M.P.

Individual Voters From The Maclean's Article

W.J. Morrison - Montreal Gazette

(Modern)
G: Clint Benedict
D: Georges Boucher
D: Sprague Cleghorn
RW: Babe Dye
C: Billy Burch
LW: Cy Dennenay

(Old)
G: Mike Merritt
D: Mike Grant
D: Harvey Pulford
RW: Jim Gardner
C: Frank McGee
LW: Tom Phillips

K.G.H McConnell - Edmonton Bulletin

G: Percy Leseur
D: Joe Simpson
D: George Boucher
RW: Alf Smith
C: Duke Keats
LW: Tommy Phillips

-----------------------------------------------------

Defensemen amount of votes from the Maclean article

Stuart 8
Cleghorn 6
Gerard 4
Boucher 2
Simpson 2
Grant 1
Pulford 1
Ross 1
M.Johnson 1
Griffis 1
L.Patrick 1

-----------------------------------------------------END OF MACLEAN 1925 ARTICLE TEAMS

Other All-Star Teams:

Frederick “Mickey” Ion (1943-1944)

Legendary referee who broke a 30 year long silence and listed 22 players as the all-time greats in hockey
He contented that too many unqualified observers were “forever sticking their noses into all-star hockey business when they couldn’t tell a stick-handler from a goal judge.”

He was supposed to pick 22 but only 21 names appeared on the list.

[...] (Boucher no on the 22 players list)

Ion also picked all-star teams for three eras.

1910-20

Georges Vezina (GK)
Joe Hall
Joe Malone
Cyclone Taylor
Didier Pitre
Jack Laviolette
Moose Johnson
Allan Davidson
Gordie Roberts
Jimmy Gardiner
Reg Noble
Bert Corbeau
Lester Patrick
Frank Patrick
Dick Irvin
Jack Walker
George Boucher
Art Ross

Frank Nighbor (1944-1945)

Looked back at the great hockey stars of his era, although not submitting an all-star team he thought a bunch of them stood out.

“When I look back over a period of 20 or 25 years I still think that Newsy Lalonde, Didier Pitre, Jack Laviolette, Sprague Cleghorn, Eddie Gerard, George Boucher, Harry Cameron, King Clancy and my old wingmates, the late Jack Darragh, Cy Denneny and Harry Broadbent were pretty fair hockey players, and that fellow named Clint Benedict and the lad that followed him, Alex Connell, were nice to look at too.”

Tommy Gorman (1947-1948)

Picked his all-time best team.

Goalie: Clint Benedict
Defenceman: Sprague Cleghorn
Defenceman: George Boucher
Defenceman: Eddie Gerard
Center: Frank Nighbor
Wings: Jack Darragh & Charlie Conacher

Aurel Joliat (1948-1949)

Also see 1936/37

He was very critical towards the NHL as a business.

He listed the greatest players he ever performed with or against as:

Goalies

Georges Vezina
George Hainsworth

Defencemen

Sprague Cleghorn
Eddie Gerard
George (Buck) Boucher
Ching Johnson
Eddie Shore

Forwards

Howie Morenz
Bill Cook

He couldn’t recall immediately another forward.

Would these men be able to keep pace with present-day hockey?

(Joliat)
“Certainly, and they would be standouts. A good hockey player can go in any type of game.”

12 years earlier he had also mentioned Vezina, Hainsworth, Shore, Gerard. Cleghorn, Morenz and Cook

Hap Day (1948-1949)

Picked his all-time team (labeled prior 1926), only his defencemen were mentioned.

Defenceman: Georges Boucher & Eddie Gerard
Defenceman: Sprague Cleghorn & Lester Patrick

overpass' review of the 1920 Ottawa Senators and Boucher's role as super-sub
This season is particularly interesting because this version of the Senators was considered among the greatest teams of all time for many years. They added Sprague Cleghorn to the core of their dynasty team, and just crushed the league. They were 19-5-0 with 121 GF and 64 GA in the regular season. And if you remove their final game, when they sat key players and lost 10-4 to the worst team in the league, they were 19-4-0 with 117 GF and 54 GA.

Sprague Cleghorn was the best defender in the world. Eddie Gerard was the team captain and also an excellent player. George Boucher was the third defender who also played any forward position and was doing his best to force his way into the lineup. Frank Nighbor was probably the best forward in the world at the time as a great goal scorer, playmaker, and checker in centre ice. Jack Darragh, Punch Broadbent, and Cy Denneny split time at wing.

I went through each game summary in the Ottawa Journal. Here are the number of games each player started.

George Boucher, all-around sub - 9 RS starts, 4 Finals starts.
Boucher was normally the third defenseman for Ottawa, filling in for Cleghorn or Gerard at point or cover point. He also played wing and even centre at times.

He was a major reason that Ottawa didn't miss a beat when one of their outstanding starters on defence was out.[/b] Both Cleghorn and Gerard missed multiple games, but Boucher won rave reviews of his performance while replacing them. In general, the Ottawa Journal seemed to consider the defenders of the hockey team to be the stars. Cleghorn, Gerard, and Boucher consistently earned plaudits for their outstanding play, especially their speed and puck skills compared to other teams' defenders.

Boucher played rover in Game 2 of the finals, and was the best player on the ice. As a result he started at wing in Games 3 and 5, played under 6 man rules, and started at rover again in Game 4. He was also recognized as the star of Game 5.

In the following season, Sprague Cleghorn was traded away, and Boucher replaced him and went on to a Hall of Fame career on defence.
It looks like Ottawa could plug Broadbent, Denneny, or Boucher into the "goal scoring winger" position and have success with any of them. The real key to their success was down the middle in Nighbor, Cleghorn, Gerard, Boucher, and maybe Benedict.

overpass's review of the 1921 Ottawa Senators and Boucher's transition as Ottawa's starting defender
I went through each Ottawa game summary from 1920-21 in the Ottawa Journal. This is a follow-up to my look at the 1919-20 Ottawa season.
At first the Senators were able to adjust to the loss of Cleghorn and Broadbent without any trouble. Denneny and Darragh played regularly at wing, and two game reports commented that Boucher had replaced Cleghorn seamlessly on defence. They continued to win in the first half, winning the first half championship with a 9-3 record. But they were clearly slowing down in the latter stages of the first half and relied on several close victories to close out their first half victory.

Ottawa took an early lead in the second half of the season. They started a consistently strong starting lineup of Benedict, Boucher, Gerard, Nighbor, Darragh, and Denneny, but a weakness began to tell - they had very little contribution from their substitutes. Ottawa no longer had the luxury of bringing the likes of Boucher, Denneny, and Broadbent off the bench or giving key players nights off. Boucher and Gerard played the entirety of two consecutive overtime games, each playing 74 minutes and then 67 minutes in one week.
Against the St Pats in the NHL Final:

Game 1: “If stars there were on the Ottawa team Denneny and Boucher deserve the honors. The tireless playing of Denneny and his splendid carrying and backchecking enabled Ottawas to win. Boucher gave a grand exhibition. The masterly work of Nighbor and the effectiveness of his poke check were never better demonstrated.â€
Another two notes from this game:
“The Toronto critics were unanimous in praise of the great defensive system of Ottawa. Once the “iron chain†swung across in front of Benedict it would have taken a torpedo to get through the cage.â€
There's also the fact that George Boucher replaced Denneny at left wing in Game 4 of the Cup Final. There was no reason given for the substitution in the paper, and Boucher played most of the game. It's understandable that Ottawa would attempt to get Boucher, Cleghorn, and Gerard in the lineup together. And I guess I can see that taking Nighbor out was an absolute impossibility and Darragh was leading the series in scoring at that point. But it does point to the fact that Denneny was far from being considered the best player on this team if he could be relegated to the bench for a key Cup Finals game.

*No bylines were listed - I judged entirely by the writing style of the article.

Statistics

Starting from 1919-1920 till 1926-1927, which is Boucher's prime, I just put all players from all leagues suspected to be defensemen in general, but I really didn't filter very well so adjust mentally for that.Some were probably forwards.They were listed as D in my spreadsheet and I don't have the time to trim it.

1919-1920

NHLGPGAPTSPCHAGPGAPTS
Sprague Cleghorn2116521Lloyd Cook2110414
Harry Cameron2315520Art Duncan184812
Harry Mummery249918Ernie Johnson21055
Ken Randall2210818Muzz Murray22415
Bert Corbeau2311617Wilf Loughlin21415
Georges Boucher229817Clem Loughlin22224
Eddie Gerard229716Lester Patrick12224
Ed Carpenter248412Roy Rickey22213
Joe Matte178311Bobby Genge17000
Dave Ritchie23639
Billy Coutu20404
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
1920-1921

NHLGPGAPTSPCHAGPGAPTS
Harry Cameron2418927Lloyd Cook2412921
Harry Mummery2415520Wilf Loughlin248513
Georges Boucher2311819Clem Loughlin247310
Eddie Gerard2411415Art Duncan24358
Joe Matte216915Roy Rickey24628
Bert Corbeau2411213Ernie Johnson24527
Billy Coutu248412Lester Patrick5235
Sprague Cleghorn13358Muzz Murray23123
Billy Stuart19213Syd Desireau13202
Ed Carpenter21213
Moylan McDonnell22123
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
1921-1922

NHLGPGAPTSPCHAGPGAPTSWCHLGPGAPTS
Harry Cameron24181735Art Duncan245914Joe Simpson25201434
Sprague Cleghorn2417926Wilf Loughlin248311Red Dutton2215520
Georges Boucher23131225Slim Halderson237310Duke Dukowski2212214
Leo Reise Sr.2491423Clem Loughlin24639Earl Campbell248614
Eddie Gerard2171118Gord Fraser24527Bob Trapp247512
Bert Corbeau223710Roy Rickey17347Bobby Benson248412
Billy Stuart243710Lloyd Cook24235Amby Moran258311
King Clancy244610Ernie Johnson13112Abbie Newell168210
Billy Coutu24437Percy Traub258210
Harry Mummery20426Hammy Gillespie20549
Joe Matte21336Rube Brandow22628
Herb Gardiner24527
Jack Arbour14224
Muzz Murray14202
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
1922-1923

Georges Boucher2414923Lloyd Cook30191130Joe Simpson30151429
Eddie Gerard2361319Clem Loughlin30121022Amby Moran2815823
Sprague Cleghorn249817Art Duncan2615621Joe Matte2914620
Harry Cameron229716Slim Halderson2910515Earl Campbell239413
Bert Corbeau2110414Gord Fraser28448Herb Gardiner299312
Leo Reise Sr.246612Roy Rickey23347Bob Trapp265510
Billy Stuart237310Abbie Newell6213Bobby Benson27718
Ken Randall24358Wilf Loughlin26022Percy Traub26358
Billy Coutu24527Roddy Smith25718
King Clancy24325Abbie Newell13426
Duke Dukowski29606
Red Dutton18246
Lorne Rose20325
Rube Brandow17415
Helge Bostrom22213
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
1923-1924

Georges Boucher21131023Art Duncan30211031Harry Cameron29101020
King Clancy248816Gord Fraser3014317Joe Simpson3010414
Bert Corbeau248614Clem Loughlin3010616Red Dutton306713
Ken Randall247613Joe Matte2911415Duke Dukowski308311
Sprague Cleghorn238412Lloyd Cook287512Bobby Benson265510
Earl Campbell18538Slim Halderson30628Herb Gardiner225510
Lionel Hitchman24268Gordon McFarlane30415Abbie Newell26549
Billy Stuart24437Jack Arbour28325Bob Trapp30549
Jesse Spring20336Helge Bostrom26303Leo Reise Sr.18426
Billy Coutu16314Percy Traub27246
Sylvio Mantha24134
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
1924-1925

NHLGPGAPTSWCHLGPGAPTS
King Clancy2914721Joe Simpson28111223
Georges Boucher2815520Harry Cameron2813720
Ken Randall3081018Herb Gardiner2812820
Sprague Cleghorn2781018Bob Trapp2781119
Ed Gorman2811415Abbie Newell2512517
Bert Corbeau304610Duke Dukowski2713417
Billy Stuart29549Gord Fraser289312
Dunc Munro27516Red Dutton238412
Billy Coutu28325Amby Moran2110111
Sylvio Mantha30235Clem Loughlin289211
Albert Holway25224Helge Bostrom287411
Fern Headley30134Leo Reise Sr.288311
Francis Cain28404Art Duncan265510
Lionel Hitchman31314Joe Matte24819
Jesse Spring29213Percy Traub26459
Bobby Benson8011Slim Halderson28369
Gerry Munro30101Gordon McFarlane26718
Eddie Shore24606
Leo Bourgault19303
Reg Mackey16303
Roy Rickey26112
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
1925-1926

NHLGPGAPTSWHLGPGAPTS
Reg Noble339918Bob Trapp3041216
Albert Leduc3210313Red Dutton3010515
Lionel Conacher339413Eddie Shore3012214
Georges Boucher368412Art Duncan299413
King Clancy358412Duke Dukowski296713
Lionel Hitchman367411Lester Patrick235813
Sprague Cleghorn286511Harry Cameron309312
Bert Corbeau365510Leo Reise Sr.3021012
Dunc Munro334610Clem Loughlin307310
Rodger Smith369110Reg Mackey28808
Herb Drury33628Gordon McFarlane27617
Billy Stuart33617Leo Bourgault30527
Hobie Kitchen30527Art Townsend29426
Billy Coutu33246Amby Moran30505
Ken Randall34426Herb Gardiner27314
Jesse Spring32505Percy Traub28134
Joe Simpson32224Slim Halderson23314
Ed Gorman23213Fern Headley29213
Sylvio Mantha34213
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
1926-1927

NHLGPGAPTS
King Clancy4391019
Eddie Shore4012618
Lionel Conacher398917
Sylvio Mantha4310515
John McKinnon4413013
Leo Reise Sr.407613
Clarence Abel448412
Herb Gardiner446612
Dunc Munro436511
Georges Boucher408311
Bert McCaffrey435510
Clem Loughlin347310
Bill Brydge41639
Lionel Hitchman41369
Red Dutton44448
Sprague Cleghorn44718
Stan Brown24628
Albert Leduc43527
Bob Trapp44426
Joe Simpson43426
Reg Noble43336
Alex Smith42415
Art Duncan34325
Ching Johnson27325
Duke Dukowski28325
Harold Halderson44325
Jack Arbour37415
Billy Stuart43314
Rodger Smith36404
Bert Corbeau41123
Leo Bourgeault42213
Billy Coutu40112
Hobie Kitchen17022
Percy Traub42022
Babe Donnelly34011
Clarence Boucher11011
Ed Gorman41101
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Georges "Buck" Boucher (Part II)
upload_2018-2-14_20-38-23-jpeg.98015

Game Descriptions

Multiple game descriptions and reports in chronological order.The choices of which game and which season I covered more or less than others is mostly a matter of access to the material, with the exception that I covered every single playoff games of Boucher's prime.

1915-1916

Boucher is described as tough already early in his career:

The Ottawa Journal - Jan 26, 1916

Boucher, who can rough it with the best of them, is proving a worthy sub for the great Eddie Gerard.He was on for a time in Quebec and the report was brought back that he sailed into Joe Hall and Harry Mummery in a way that made them wonder what had been let loose.

1916-1917

Positions (Ottawa Journal):

1.F
2.?
3.?
4.?
5.sub
6.sub
7.sub
8.LW
9.LW
10.?
11.?
12.sub
13.sub
14.sub
15.?
16.LW
17.sub
18.LW
19.sub
20.sub

PLAYOFFS

21.?
22.?

1917-1918

1.C
2.sub
3.sub
4.C
5.?
6.?
7.sub
8.sub
9.C
10.sub
11.sub
12.C
13.C
14.sub
15.sub
16.sub
17.sub
18.sub
19.RW
20.LW
21.LW
22.LW

1918-1919

1.Cover
2.did not play(?)
3.sub

4.sub
5.sub
6.sub
7.sub
8.sub
9.sub
10.sub
11.sub
12.sub
13.sub
14.sub
15.sub
16.sub
17.sub
18.sub

PLAYOFFS

19.sub
20.sub
21.sub
22.sub
23.sub

1919-1920

Game #1: The Ottawa Journal - Dec 24, 1919 (3-0 W vs. TOR)

Position: Sub

Cleghorn and Gerard couldn't have been improved upon and George Boucher showed flashes pf nice stick work.

Game #2: The Ottawa Journal - Dec 29, 1920 (2-0 W vs. HABS)

Game #3: The Ottawa Journal - Jan 2, 1920 (3-2 W vs. QB)

Game #4: The Ottawa Journal - Jan 5, 1920 (3-4 L vs. TOR)

Game #5: The Ottawa Journal - Jan 8, 1920 (4-3 W vs. HABS)

Position: Sub/D

In the final period George Boucher went on in place of Sprague Cleghorn, who was hurt and held up for repairs.Boucher did some nifty work while he was on and irritated the Canadien attack.The Canadiens kept swarming round the Ottawas' goals, and only elegant work by the defence kept them at bay.

Game #6 - The Ottawa Journal - Jan 12, 1920 (7-1 W vs. QB)

Game #7 - The Ottawa Journal - Jan 15, 1920 (2-1 W vs. QB)

Position: Sub/LW

Game Notes: Boucher was first-class at left wing

Game #8 - The Ottawa Journal - Jan 19, 1922 (2-3 L vs. HABS)

(no time to fill the details)

Game #9: The Ottawa Journal - Jan 22, 1920 (12-1 W vs. QC)

Ottawas played magnificiently.The subs were given a good warming and showed that they are but little behind the regulars.[...] Boucher was one of the outstanding stars of the game.George wielded a weighty stick athwart(?) the man of George Carpenter.The latter's fighting name didn't have any terrors(?) for Boucher, and when Carpenter cross checked him he responded with a lusty(?) clout.

George Boucher drole the last one home in five minutes, and the band played God Save the King.

Game #10: The Ottawa Journal - Jan 26, 1920 (3-5 L vs. TOR)

Cleghorn was the outstanding star of the team.[...] Gerard was a close second and Boucher showed some excellent hockey while he was on.

Game #11: The Ottawa Journal - Jan 29, 1920 (7-0 W vs. TOR)

Position: Point (Partner: Gerard, Boucher replaced Cleghorn who did not play)

George Boucher subbed for Cleghorn and turned in a splendid game.Boucher worked like a beaver and played a finished stick.He tore off a dazzling goal when he outstepped the Toronto defence and blazed a high shot from point that caught Mitchell off his guard for the Ottawas' fifth tally.

Gerard and Boucher gave him the bumps every time he stepped into their sector and Joe Matte wasn't by any means a shining star.

Gerard kept up a series of rushes throughout the session and started the scoring carnival when he dashed through a wide open defence for Ottawas first goal.Boucher has been referred to.

Boucher was given a rest for tossing Cor. Denneny.

Boucher hooked the puck from Matte and tore through a wide open defence for a lovely goal in three minutes.

Game #12 - The Ottawa Journal - Feb 2, 1920 (10-3 W vs. HABS)

Position: Cover Point (Partner: Gerard, replaced Cleghorn who did not play)

Boucher played magnificient hockey.He scored the flashiest goal of the night when he stickhandled right through the whole Canadiens team and beat Vezina on a well placed shot.His stick work was a treat.

Boucher was the outstanding star of the game.

Game #13: The Ottawa Journal - Feb 5, 1920 (5-0 W vs. QB)

For the winners, Cleghorn and Broadbent were about the best, though Darragh, Gerard and Nighbor worked hard.Boucher was on the ice for only a few minutes as was Denneny. (Boucher still scored a goal, the fifth)

Game #14 - The Ottawa Journal - Feb 9, 1920
(3-4 L vs. TOR)

Position: Unknown

Matte took a wallop at Gerard in the third period and flattened Eddie against the board.It was an unexpected attack.George Boucher steamed up and crashed Matte for the count.While they were exchanging pleasantries on the side preparatory to going over the side, Goldie Prodgers chimed in.

Game #15 - The Ottawa Journal - Feb 12, 1920 (4-3 W vs. HABS)

Position: Cover Point (Partner: Cleghorn, Boucher replaced Gerard who did not play)

Boucher at point and Cleghorn at cover worked like Trojans.Both were disposed to work forward of their area, but their blocking and rushing was superb.Boucher scored a great goal and while Cleghorn didn't appear in the summary he left little to be desired in his play.

Game #16 - The Ottawa Journal - Feb 16, 1920 (3-2 OT W vs. HABS)

Position: Cover Point (Partner: Cleghorn, Boucher replaced Gerard who did not play)

IT WAS AN OVERTIME MATCH.JUST THREE MINUTES HAD ELAPSED WHEN CY DENNENY FLIPPED IN A LOOSE PUCK IN FRONT OF THE NETS, WHICH DROPPED FROM VEZINA'S PADS AFTER GEORGE BOUCHER HAD MADE A DESPERATE EFFORT TO SCORE.

Game #17 - The Ottawa Journal - Feb 19, 1920 (9-3 W vs. QC)

Position: Point (Partner: Cleghorn, Boucher replaced Gerard who only played five minutes)

Boucher gave a brilliant stickhandling display and scored a goal.

Boucher gave Malone a cross-check and was sent off.

Game #18: The Ottawa Journal - Feb 23, 1920 (4-3 W vs. TOR)

Position: D (Partner: Cleghorn, Boucher replaced Gerard who did not play)

George Boucher took the puck through the Toronto line and worked his way between Randall and Hefferman.He looked hopelessly sandwiched but turned around and drove a hard backhander that glanced off Lockhart's skate into the twine in five minutes

Boucher gave an elegant display of stickhandling and held the puck all the way down to goal where he let fly a dangerous shot at Mitchil.

Extra (Toronto Star same date): Ottawa, minus Eddie Gerard, their star defense man, displayed as much superiority over the Snake Chasers as Hamilton Tigers did over Toronto Dental's and that was plenty.

Sprague Cleghorn, Boucher, and Darragh were the best of Ottawa's superb lineup. Cleghorn's head work was conspicuous, and he was always dangerous in a rush. This Boucher boy has been playing stellar hockey all season. He is as valuable a man as Ottawa has. He is game, has speed, can shoot, and as a defense man looks as good as either Cleghorn or Gerard.

Game #19 - The Ottawa Journal - Feb 26, 1920 (6-3 W vs. HABS)

Position: Point (Partner: Cleghorn)

Boucher scintillated both offensively and defensively.He had little trouble in stickhandling his way through the Canadiens defence.

Game #20: The Ottawa Journal - Mar 1, 1920 (1-0 W vs. TOR)

Position: Cover Point

WONDERFUL DEFENCE: Gerard, Cleghorn and Boucher played a remarkable defensive game.

The game was fairly clean till near the finish when Randall opened up a wound on Boucher's head with a vicious wallop.Boucher had to have his head stitched and caved in from the wallop.

Notes: George Boucher suffered a severe concussion and was in bad shape for several hours.The blow that Randall gave him was a vicious swipe and there was only slightly over a minute to play.

Game #21: The Ottawa Journal - Mar 4, 1920 (7-4 W vs. TOR)

Position: Sub/LW

In the final period it looked as though Randall and Boucher were going to collide.Buck started after him in a determined manner, but Cooper Smeaton sent him to the side when he cross-checked Randall.

George Boucher wasn't used very much, but showed his usual flashy stickhandling.

Boucher replaced Cy Denneny in the first period.

Game #22: The Ottawa Journal - Mar 8, 1920 (4-3 W vs. HABS)

Did not play

Game #23: The Ottawa Journal - Mar 9, 1920 (11-6 W vs. QB)

Position: Point (Partner: Gerard, Boucher replaced Cleghorn who did not play)

George Boucher showed some of his usual brilliant stick work.Buck worked the rubber in uncanny fashion and the Quebec team looked kind of queer at times when they started chasing him.

Boucher juggled the puck through the whole Quebec team and scored in six minutes.

Game #24: The Ottawa Journal - Mar 11, 1920 (4-10 L vs. QB)

1920 Stanley Cup Finals

Game 1: The Ottawa Journal - Mar 23, 1920 (3-2 W vs. Seattle)

Position: W

A beautiful attack by Georges Boucher six minutes later saw him crowded to the rail by Rowe.He made a deft pass that was caught by Gerard.The latter steadied himself and drove a liner that bounced off Holmes' pads, and Darragh, sweeping in like an express train, slapped the puck into the corner of the net.

Georges Boucher, alternating with Punch Broadbent and Cy Denneny was the best of the trio.His stickhandling was superb.He went like an express train on the soft going.

Boucher sent Walker sprawling.

Boucher did some elegant stick work but lost the puck in a pool.

Game 2 (3-0 Ottawa) - Ottawa Citizen Mar 25, 1920

Position: Rover

PCHA Rules (seven men per side, forward pass)

Georges Boucher, the individual star of the big match, was cheered to the echo throughout.

With the Pacific Coast rules in vogue, the Ottawas retained their usual defence of Benedict, Cleghorn and Gerard, while Boucher was played at rover.

Benedict, Cleghorn, Boucher and Darragh played the entire sixty minutes, while Gerard was only off for his three minutes rest (penalty), Denneny and Broadbent alternating on the wing.

While all the Ottawas played good hockey under the circumstances and the team as a whole lived up to its reputation as one of the greatest that has ever stepped out on the ice, a team which makes good under any kind of conditions, one player stodd out brightly in the big struggle; Georges Boucher.For the full hour the husky New Edinburgh boy was up and down the ice like a flash.He rushed in dazzling style, backchecked with great effect and became the most consistent puck carrier on the ice.Boucher stickhandled in and out of the maze of Seattle plasyers like a wizard, and time after time he brought the crowd to its feet.

Boucher rocked Holmes with a waist high shot

Boucher made a great try and showed superior stickhandling but Rowe backed in and stopped him up.

Boucher did some excellent stick handling and almost scored.

Boucher started the period with some pretty stick work.

Game 3: The Ottawa Journal Mar 29, 1920 (1-3 L vs. Seattle)

Position: LW

It was simply an off night for the Senators, and something that happened to the best of teams.[...] Boucher worked hard, but was given close attention.He showed some finre stick work at times.

Boucher flashed through and Holmes cleared nicely.

Boucher made his way through and whipped the first counter past Holmes in five minutes.

Boucher took a sniping shot that bounced off Holmes' pads and the latter came out of his nets to clear.

Darragh and Boucher checked back well as did Nighbor, but couldn't work in close.

Nighbor came through and passed to Boucher and the latters shot just crazed the post.

Boucher and Nighbor worked hard.

Le Droit - Mar 30, 1920

(translation mine)

Georges Boucher would be one of the most brilliant stars in the PCHA in the seven men style.He is unsurpassable and last night, his work caused a lot of torubles to the visitors; he was everywhere; his rushes throughout the opposite team made him one of the celebrities in the series.

Game 4: The Ottawa Journal - Mar 31, 1920 (2-5 L vs. Seattle)

Position: Rover

For the Senators, all seemed to be below par with Gerard and Cleghorn best.The line never got going and couldn't work any system.Individual rushes by Boucher, Darragh and Denneny usually fell short.

Boucher took a pass from Darragh and failed to score, when he had only the goaler to beat.

Game 5: The Ottawa Journal - Apr 2, 1920 (6-1 W vs. Seattle, Ottawa wins Stanley Cup)

Georges Boucher plays brilliantly and is largely responsible for the victory.

Georges Boucher was the star.The master manipulator of the puck brought the crowd to its feet time without number with his wonderful stick work.His goal was a beauty (making the game 1-1).Nighbor was a close second, his poke check paralyzed the Seattle forwards and was as valuable as a third defenceman.

Walker came like a blue streak and headed Boucher off.The latter was through again but holmes saved."

Walker split a three-man rush and Boucher missed a great opportunity.

Boucher is playing a wonderful game.

Le Droit - Apr 6, 1920

(translation mine)

BOUCHER EXAGGERATES

Here's the "sad" (navrante) story published yesterday by a colleague.

According to Frank Calder, President of the N.H.A., the only quarrel between professionals which didn't end with the end of the hockey season was the one between Georges Boucher and Ken Randall.After Ottawa won the Stanley Cup by beating Seattle, Randall entered in the champions' lockerroom and shook hands with all his ex-adversaries, all- except George Boucher.

-"What does that mean?", asked Boucher, when Randall gave him his hand.

"Oh, the season is over, and we'd be better off leaving in peace", said Randall.

-"I won't shake hands with a man who hit me like you did", responded Boucher, as Randall was going away.

President Calder tried, the following day, to make peace between the two men, but Boucher, who still have the mark from the hits inflicted upon him by Randall, refused again of shaking hands with Randall.

1920-1921

Ottawa Citizen 12 Dec, 1920

Should Star This Season

This will be Boucher's fifth season with the Ottawas. George broke in fresh from the ranks of the New Edinburgh club and has been one of the most valuable men in the Ottawa squad. Last year, he filled almost every position on the team. He figured on the Ottawa defense and did dazzling work in the deciding games of the first half when Sprague Cleghorn was out of action, and he subsequently replaced Capt. Eddie Gerard with equal success. In the world series against Seattle, through the games both in Ottawa and Toronto, Boucher was probably the brightest star on the Ottawa team. He should be one of the most effective men in the National Hockey League this winter. His versatility is a great asset to the Ottawas, as he goes up to the line or back to the defense without a murmur.

Ottawa Citizen Dec 30, 1920

Boucher, who acted in a substitute capacity, played a first-class game and he will be heard from again this season.He scored two goals.

Boucher added another (goal) shortly afterewards on an individual effort from outside the defence.

Ottawa Citizen Dec 30, 1920

An agreement was made by the various clubs that they would assist Hamilton in order to round out the circuit.

[...]

Ottawa had the privilege of reserving seven men, after which the Tigers would be able to select one.Ottawa, naturally, reserved Benedict, Cleghorn, Gerard, Nighbor, Darragh and Denneny, their regular six, and Georges Boucher, one of the best utility men in the game.They left Broadbent, Graham, McKell and Bruce.

[...]

Manager Thompson notified President Calder of the NHL that he did not want Broadbent, but that he had been advised that Boucher wished to go to Hamilton and that he would claim him.He also asserts that he was told by the Ottawa club owners that if Boucher wished to go they would not prevent it.This is refuted by officers of the Ottawas, who say that they never entertained any idea of allowing Boucher to change his colors.

Game #4 - Ottawa Citizen Jan 4, 1921 (8-2 W vs. MTL, 1 goal)

Position: Point (Partner: Gerard)

BOUCHER MADE GOOD ON OTTAWA DEFENCE

With Sprague Cleghorn off the defence, Georges Boucher moved back to point.

Boucher played a grand game on the Ottawa defence and Gerard was (?) spectacular and effective throughout.

...got an assist on the (?), which Georges Boucher (?) through.

Denneny tallied his (?) after a rush with Darragh in (^) minutes and his third in threee minutes when Georges Boucher gave him a pass.Georges Boucher then rushed with Denneny and made it 4 to 1

Game #5 - Ottawa Citizen Jan 7, 1921 (5-1 W vs. HAM)

Position: D (Partner: Gerard)

Georges Boucher was injured in a collision with Matte and had to go off for repairs, but he soon resumed play and was a tower of strenght to the Senators.

Ottawa continued to outplay the home club and though Joe Malone led his team mates to many brillant attacks, the Gerard-Boucher defence proved invincible and Benedict had comparatively little to do.

Benedict, Boucher and Gerard were always effective on the defence.

Ottawa appeared to improved as the game wore on, though both Gerard and Boucher received hard bumps, both were going like wildfire at the finish.

Game #7 - Ottawa Citizen Jan 13, 1921 (2-0 W vs. MTL)

Darragh, of course, stood out as the brilliant inidivudal hero of the big struggle, but Gerard, Boucher, Nighbor and Denneny shared his glory.

Game #13 - Ottawa Citizen Feb 3, 1921 (4-3 W vs. TOR, 1 goal)

Georges Boucher dodged through on one of his celebrated rushes and tied the score.It was ab eautiful play and the crowd gave Boucher a big round of applause.

Jack Darragh rushed with Georges Boucher and put in a side shot.

Benedict was very good in the goal, and the Boucher-Gerard defence stood out brilliantly, as usual.

Game #15 - Ottawa Citizen Feb 10, 1921 (7-4 W vs. HAM, 1 goal)

Georges Boucher carried it down after one minute of play and shot.The puck bounded out and Cy Denneny slammed it back into the nets, while the crowd cheered itself hoarse.

...and Boucher scored in four minutes.

Boucher drew a major foul in this period for slashing and for three minutes, the Stanley Cup holders played one man short.

Boucher and Gerard were very effective and both Ottawa defence men figured in the scoring as usual.

Game #22 - Ottawa Citizen Mar 3, 1921 (2-3 L vs. TOR)

Georges Boucher, who has struggled along for the greater part of the second half with a very painful hip, was out of the game altogether.He is under the care of Dr. Lorne Graham, and the Ottawa will be fortunate if they get him back in readiness for the championship playoff next week.

The defense evidently missed Boucher, who witnessed the game from the Ottawa bench.

1920-1921 PLAYOFFS

OTTAWA SENATORS(NHL) vs. TORONTO ST. PATS(NHL)

Game 1: The Ottawa Journal - Mar 11, 1921 (5-0 W vs. TOR)

BUCK BOUCHER TREATS CROWD TO STICK HANDLING FESTIVAL AND SCORES THREE GOALS

Under Picture: GEORGES BOUCHER, who was the outstanding player on the ice last night.He scored three out of five goals, and was a wizard with the stick.

Boucher gave a grand exhibition.

Boucher showed stickhandling wizardry of high order

Boucher drew Forbes from the net and flipped the puck into the open net.It was a fitting culmination to a clever individual play, Boucher having stickhandled his way through practically the whole St. Pat team.

Game 2: The Ottawa Journal - Mar 15, 1921 (2-0 W vs. TOR)

Game Notes: Randall and Boucher renewed their feud of a year ago when Boucher was cut down while not expecting an attack.Every year Randall gets one bad game out of his system.

Game Notes: Boucher again had the fans g(asping(?) with his stick work.Time after time he went skimming along with the puck hanging to his stick and plastered Forbes with terrific shots.

1921 Stanley Cup Finals

OTTAWA SENATORS VS. VANCOUVER MILLIONAIRES(PCHA)

Game 1: The Ottawa Journal - Mar 22, 1921 (1-3 L vs. VAN)

BOUCHER AND DARRAGH OTTAWA STARS

STARS WHO SHONE IN LAND OF THE SUNSET (pictures of Georges Boucher and Jack Darragh): Georges Boucher, specially mentioned by the Vancouver World's special writer in his dispatch to The Journal.

Note: Sprague Cleghorn worked hard, as did Boucher.The stick-handling of the latter was a treat.

Game 1 (Extra): Vancouver Daily World - Mar 22, 1921 (1-3 L vs. VAN)

Position: D (Partner: Gerard, Cleghorn as Sub, contradicting Ottawa Journal)

For the Senators, Benedict showed up more brilliantly than any of the other stars.[...] Boucher played a splendid game.The (Ottawa) defenders checked hard, and many times brought the Vancouver forwards down when they were about to make a shot which might have scored.

Boucher went through, but Cook robbed him of the puck when he looked dangerous.

Boucher made a good run, but his shot went straight to Lehman, who had no difficulty in saving.By nice combination the Senators took the puck dow nand Boucher nearly scored, but was afraid, and a good chance was lost.

Boucher intercepted a pass from Mackay to Harris and broke up a very dangerous piece of play.

Game 2: The Ottawa Journal - Mar 25, 1921 (4-3 W vs. VAN)

Position: Point (Partenr: Gerard, with Sprague Cleghorn as Sub)

Boucher took a quick pass from Cleghorn and scored Ottawa's first goal.

The forwards, aided by Boucher, raked Lehman fore and aft(?) with well directed shots.

The second period was but a few seconds old when Boucher went the puck in Vancouver's net on an off-side.The play remained in the Millionaire's area several minutes.Boucher's shooting bothered Lehman constantly/

Game Notes: Georges Boucher steadied the Senators when he shot through and capped a classy goal.

Game Notes: Boucher was irrepressible and whirled his way through the Millionaires at will.He had Lehman jumping like a jack rabbit to stand off his drives.It was the first goal off Boucher's stick that injected the punch and power into the Ottawa attack.

Game 2 (Extra): Vancouver Daily World - Mar 25, 1921 (4-3 W vs. VAN)

Position: D (Partner: Gerard, Sprague Cleghorn at LW)

Cleghorn broke through and passed to Boucher, who scored Ottawa's opening goal.This was hard luck for the Millionaire who had just made a fine attack on Benedict and three of their players were stretched on the ice when the goal was scored.

Harris was nearly successful (in scoring), but was put off his shot when Boucher checked hard.

Game 3: The Ottawa Journal - Mar 28, 1921 (3-2 W vs. VAN)

Position: D (Partner: Gerard, Sprague Cleghorn at Rover)

...Desireau, who tried a diagonal pass across the centre space to Harris.It was too slow, however, Boucher intercepting.He bored into the Vancouver defence as far as Duncan.That long-armed defender cut short his charge...

Boucher tripped Duncan and was also penalized.

GREAT DEFENSIVE: Ottawa usually relieved by sending one man on a lone expedition.Gerard usually acted as puck carrier and his great dashes kept the fans tense through the period.Boucher also aided greatly.His great stickhandling bothered Vancouver and he showed marked ability in holding the puck with a hand of players buzzing round him.

Game Notes: Boucher again proved himself a master with the stick, and his long rushes that usually ended with a shot on Lehman marked him out.

Game 3 (Extra): Vancouver Daily World - Mar 28, 1921 (3-2 W vs. VAN)

Position: Rover (Cleghorn at D, contradicting Ottawa Journal)

(Repetition from Ottawa Journal, see above)

Game 4: The Ottawa Journal - Apr 1st, 1921 (2-3 L vs. VAN)

The Ottawa team started out with Boucher at left wing

Boucher, who had been checked in a rush, regained the puck and stickhandling his way through shot from close in, whoich beat Lehman.

Boucher who was working like a horse brought Ottawa into the fight by a superb bit of stick work which carried him right through and he made sure by (?) in Lehman and scoring.

Boucher gathered the first honor in the third period by gaining after faceoff.He went as far as Duncan and met with disaster.

Game Notes: The change from Denneny to Boucher was surprising.Boucher came through in a pinch, and tied Ottawa up in the second.

Game 4: Vancouver Daily World - Apr 1st, 1921 (2-3 L vs. VAN)

OUT TO GET REFEREE ION: The game became so rough i nthe final period that some serious trouble looked threatening, and when Boucher went on the ice after serving a sentence he said: "I am going out to put my stick on Ion".Fortunately for Boucher the referee did not hear this remark or trouble would certainly have resulted.

Overall: Boucher was also conspicuous and helped his team in many excellent peices of work.

Game 5: The Ottawa Journal - Apr 5, 1921 (2-1 W vs. VAN, Ottawa wins Stanley Cup)

Position: Rover (with Cleghorn at Cover Point)

Game 5: Vancouver Daily World - Apr 5, 1921 (2-1 W vs. VAN, Ottawa wins Stanley Cup)

Position: Rover (from Apr 4)

Boucher made a splendid effort and drew Lehman right out of his net and with a clear goal before him sent the puck some two feet wide.

Game 5: Ottawa Citizen Apr 5, 1921
(2-1 W vs. VAN)

Position: C

OTTAWA RETAINS WORLD'S HOCKEY CHAMPIONSHIP

The Ottawas caused a big surprise when they again shifted their team and placed Boucher at center with Nighbor at rover, but it worked splendidly as Nighbor laid back and fairly devoured the Vancouver passes.Boucher was brilliant throughout.His poke check worked to perfection.

They realized that it was all over and that they had won.Georges Boucher let loose a happy shout and keeled over, but the others danced and shouted in their glee.

Memorable scenes were enacted in the huge concrete arena when the bell finally rang out to end the suspense, but in the dying moments of the match, a free fight broke out and the police were on the ice for the first time during the series.Eddie Gerard, who had been made a target for the Vancouver criticisms, stopped Cook with a body check.They clashed and Cook struck at the Ottawa captain savagely.Sprague Cleghorn, rushing into the melee, knocked Cook head over heels with a swing to the jaw.Duncan rushed up and cut Boucher accross the head, flooring the Ottawa player, and Denneny and Harris got into it.

1921-1922

Game #8 - Ottawa Citizen Jan 12, 1922 (7-2 W vs. TOR, 2 goals)

(Some quotes are ambiguous as to who it is describing between Georges and Frank Boucher)

Cameron took the play back and his shot went off Benny's pads, Boucher transferring the puck to the other end where Roach made three stops in succession from Broadbent, Gerard and Nighbor.(Frank or Georges Boucher?)

Benedict again rose to the occasion and Boucher carried the rubber out.Cameron got through as far as Boucher and stopped there, Boucher rushing to get in a hard shot that Roach barely reached in time.

Randall went to Boucher who gave Roach a chance to make a remarkable save on his hard shot (Frank or Georges Boucher?)

Buck Boucher was sandwiched on an individual attempt and Noble carried the play back.

Nighbor and Boucher went up together and the play ended just as Boucher stepped into a sandwich trying to get through. (Frank or Georges Boucher?)

Finally, Buck Boucher rushed and passed to Broadbent.The latter whipped it into Roach's pads and Buch grabbed the rebound for the sixth goal in nine and half minutes.

Buck Boucher rushed three times in succession to pass to Bruce(?), but the latter had trouble with his stick and could not get the drives away.

Game Notes

The Gerard-Boucher defence had it on ''Red'' Stuart and Cameron.''Buck'', besides playing superior game on defence, shone brillantly in his rushes, getting a couple of goals for himself in the final period.

Game #14 - Ottawa Citizen Feb 2, 1922 (4-2 W vs. MTL)

Gerard and Nighbor were both playing brilliantly at the time they retired (from injuries) and Georges Boucher shouldered the lion's share of the evening's work with Cy Denneny and Broadbent.This trio were brilliant throughout and Clancy was one of the best in the game.

Georges Boucher stood out like a lighthouse and smashed attack after attack in startling fashion.

Game #18 - Ottawa Citizen Feb 16, 1922 (6-6 D vs. MTL, 1 goal)

The stars of the game for Ottawa were Eddie Gerard, Georges Boucher and Frank Nighbor.

Georges Boucher took up the puck single-handed, evaded Berlinquette and Couture and scored a low, hard shot.

...after which Georges Boucher assisted Punch Broadbent to score...

Georges Boucher took the rubber up to Vezina twice, but failed to net it.

Game #20 - Ottawa Citizen Feb 23, 1922
(4-3 W vs. MTL, 1 goal)

Game #24 - Ottawa Citizen Mar 9, 1922 (2-7 L vs. HAM)

Ottawa's defense has fallen down badly in the past few games.Benedict was none too good in the nets against Hamilton, while Gerard and Boucher were very much off color.Watch them come back against Toronto tomorrow night.

1921-1922 PLAYOFFS

OTTAWA SENATORS(NHL) VS. TORONTO ST. PATS(NHL)

Ottawa Citizen Mar 11, 1922

Harry Cameron is the dangerous man on the Toronto team and will have to be held down if Ottawas are to bring back the championship.He has done great execution against the Senators to date as he invariably waits until he gets Georges Boucher down the ice and then breaks up "Buck's" side of the ice at terrific speed.

Game 1: The Ottawa Journal - Mar 12, 1922 (4-5 L vs. TOR)

First Gerard went off then Nighbor and finally Broadbent was chased for a cross check of Noble.With the score tied 4-4, and Toronto up six men to three it looked like a parade.[...] For three minutes Benedict, Denneny and Boucher stood off the charge of the excited Saints till Gerard came to their rescue.

The defence of Boucher and Gerard was magnificient.

In the second session, Gerard and Boucher started with great rushes Roachward.

Boucher and Dye all slide for the puck at the same time.Boucher got there first and saved a sure goal.

Game Notes: Ken Randall spoke to Georges Boucher for the first time in two years.Georges rejoined with a stiff body check when Randall inquired the time of day.

Game 2: The Ottawa Journal - Mar 14, 1922 (0-0 T vs. TOR)

Position; D (Partner: Gerard)

(The spectators) saw a miserable game of hockey played under execrable circumstances (ice was poor), and saw a great team in its lasrt deperate stand go down with colors flying as great in defeat as they ever were in victory.

The final five minutes were saturated with excitement.[...] ... and Georges Boucher and Smillie hurled battle taunts at each other on the penalty bench.

ALL TRIED HARD: Boucher at point with his bobling stick working fancy patterns with the puck tried all he knew.Several times over anxiety and the tripping of Cameron and Stuart beat him out of chances for goals.He used his body with telling effect.

1922-1923

Game #8 - Ottawa Citizen Jan 11, 1923 (6-2 W vs.MTL, 1 goal)

Georges Boucher then started a rush that terminated with a check at center ice, but Denneny picked up the loose puck and wide of the defense to score the tieing goal on a backhanded shot.

Buck Boucher broke alone and came close with a deadly shot.

And Boucher rushed from end to end to walk through the Habitant defence with a brilliant bit of stickhandling and drive the puck past Vezina.

Game note: Gerard and Boucher were both great.

Game #10 - Ottawa Citizen Jan 18, 1923 (1-2 L vs. MTL)

Only at one stage of the game did Ottawa players overshadow the locals, that being when Boucher relieved after breaking up an attack of Canadiens and passed to Broadbent, who beat Vezina and tied the score.

Ottawa players went through the game as if overtrained, and never ta any time did Gerard and Nighbor turn in the game they are capable of.Denneny and Georges Boucher were the outstanding players of the team, although Boucher detracted from his usefulness by three trips to the penalty bench.

Boucher relieved for Ottawa, and started a bombardment on Canadiens' net, Vezina saving on three occasions.

Georges Boucher drew his second penalty for charging at Billy Boucher.

Boucher was sent to the peanlty bench for the third time.On this occasion he talked back to Referee Smeaton.

Game #12 - Ottawa Citizen Jan 25, 1923 (1-2 OT L vs. TOR)

GEORGES BOUCHER TURNS IN BEST GAME SEEN IN TORONTO FOR SOME TIME.

Boucher and Roach were the outstanding performers, the Ottawa defence man playing the best game seen here in many a day.His rushes featured the game, as did Roach's phenomenal work in front of the St.Pats' net.

No better exhibition than that given by Boucher has ever been seen here.He completely outdressed the locals nearly every time he gained possession of the puck, and his stickhandling was amazing.

In the last period he led the attack on the local net and fed his forwards unselfishly, but they could not get the puck past Roach, who was the star of the Irish team.

Near the close of the game, Boucher (?)aggered off the ice almost completely exhausted.

Boucher and Denneny missed when right in front of Roach.

Roach made a great stop of Boucher's hard drive.

Stuart rushed from end to end but Boucher poked the puck away.

Boucher and Denneny beat the defence...

Boucher's stickhandling was the feature of the game.Boucher rushed from end to end and passed to Denneny who evened the score.

Boucher shot through and passed to Broadbent

Boucher engineered another dangerous attack but Roach stopped Denneny's shot.

Game #14 - Ottawa Citizen Feb 1, 1923 (2-1 W vs. TOR)

Position: D/C (Partner: Gerard)

Gerard, Boucher and Darragh star for senators.

Ottawa started out without the services of Nighbor and Boucher went to center ice with Clancy on the defence.(Nighbor returned at the halfway mark of the 1st period)

Nighbor came back, Boucher going back to the defence and Clancy to the bench.

Nighbor, Boucher and Denneny pulled one of the fine players of the game when they worked a three-man pass right in on the nets but Roach blocked Boucher when it looked curtain.

Boucher drove a couple dead on with no luck

Game Notes:

Cameron and Adams hammered away but Gerard and Boucher held them safe till the final whistle ended it.

Eddie Gerard led the Senators with a sparkling game and Boucher shone both on the attack and defence

Gerard and Boucher, particularly the latter, outshone the Toronto defence.

Game #16 - Ottawa Citizen Feb 8, 1923
(3-0 W vs. MTL, 2 goals)

GEORGES BOUCHER BIG STAR OF BRILLIANT SENATOR VICTORY

...the first great goal scored by Georges Boucher in the third period has not been equalled for many moons.

Boucher's Great Play: Georges Boucher then sped away (?) and after working slowly through the defence, shoved the puck between Couture's feet, slipped through the defense and beat Vezina.He received a tremendous ovation.

Couture dumped(?) Boucher (?) Buck looked good for another

From the faceoff Boucher again (?) through with Nighbor trailing when he slowed at the net...(?)

Darragh followed in on another rush of Georges Boucher's to (?)

Game Notes:

Easily the best, "Buck" Boucher was of course the hero of the night and he richly deserved(?) the honors.His work standing out over any other player on the ice.

The Bouchers renewed the family fued with much vigor, Georges had the decision by a long way by reason of a neat coup which he pulled in the final period.

For a number of years yet, it is to be hoped that Georges Boucher will continue to turn in great games, but when the great "Buck" starts to slip those who had the pleasure of watching him go last night will have a kindly thought.

Game #18 - Ottawa Citizen Feb 15, 1923
(4-6 L vs. TOR)

Game #20 - Ottawa Citizen Feb 22, 1923 (6-1 W vs. TOR)

Denneny gave a marvelous exhibition of puck carrying and shooting and was the main works of the Ottawa team.Close to his heels came Boucher and Nighbor, though the former made four separate trips to the penalty box.

Denneny drove a couple dead on and Boucher broke with Broadbent trailing him.He swung into the defence and shot and Punch laced the rebound back behind Roach for the first one.

Darragh and Boucher combined beautifully for a goal that was offside, and immediately after Boucher missed by a (?) margin.

Boucher went in alone for the last effortt of the game and the bell saved Roach from one more try.

Game #24 - Ottawa Citizen Mar 6, 1923 (0-2 L vs. TOR)

Boucher skated into Stuart and the local player rapped him in the mouth.

Stuart and Boucher almost came to blow.

Boucher and Dye mixed it and were penalized.

Dye and Boucher on again.

1922-1923 PLAYOFFS

OTTAWA SENATORS (NHL) VS. MONTREAL CANADIENS (NHL)

Game 1: Ottawa Citizen Mar 8, 1923 (2-0 W vs. MTL)

Position: D/LW (Partner: Gerard)

OTTAWA HOCKEY TEAM SHUT OUT CANADIENS IN FIRST GAME 2 TO 0

The game was violent, and resulted in a near riot.Referee Marsh was assaulted and the police had to intervene.

In the second period Ottawa assumed the aggressive against the fast tiring Canadien team and after Sprague Cleghorn had gone to the bench for slashing Georges Boucher, Cy Denneny went down with Boucherm took the latter's pass and shot a beautiful goal through Vezina's legs.

...they moved Georges Boucher to left wing in the third period to cover his brother, Billy.

Gerard, Boucher and Nighbor went the full sixty minutes

Then again, the double pass, Boucher to Denneny to Boucher, sifted through, but Buck was outguessed.

Gerard and Boucher formed a grand defence and each assisted in scoring one of the Ottawa goals.Their defensive work was superb and on the offensive they were also great.

To pick out a star of the Ottawas would be close to doing other members an injustice, for they were all there a thousand way.But, if we were forced to make a choice, we would call on Georges Boucher and Frank Nighbor for general effectiveness.They were at their best, and that's that.But they all were great-great-great.

Game 2: Ottawa Citizen Mar 10, 1923
(1-2 L vs. MTL, wins series 3-2)

OTTAWA, NATIONAL HOCKEY L'GUE CHAMPS' WIN ROUND FROM CANADIENS BY 3-2 SCORE, LOSE FINAL GAME IN PLAY-OFF SERIES, 2-1

CHAMPIONS LEAVE TONIGHT FOR COAST TO DEFEND STANLEY CUP

"Buck" Boucher drilled the first one at Vezina.

Gerard, G.Boucher and Broadbent all rushed in succession.

Boucher and Darragh combined

Boucher and Broadbent swung in a combine that had Georges in a tight corner

...and then Berlinquette relieved Malone at center.He immediately pepped up the Canuck attack, and on his second try, was run into the corner by Georges Boucher.

Boucher and Darragh went in close with no luck.

Pitre came down as far as Boucher and Gerard, and Darragh too the play to the other end.

Joliat relieved at the defence and swing in the center with Billy Boucher flanking him.He went between Georges Boucher and Eddie Gerard and when he passed to the wing, brother Bill grabbed the disc and slid right in on Benedict to pick a cornoer for the second goal.This tied the score in the series.

... and Buck Boucher just failed to get the corner

Buck Boucher got in two shots with no luck

Boucher, Darragh and Denneny combined dangerously, but they were turned aside.

Denneny and Georges Boucher worked a double pass through the defence, and Joliat saved a sure goal.[...]Buck Boucher's rush ended the frame.

Berlinquette rushed through the center and his pass to Billy Boucher looked good for a goal, but Georges Boucher saved the day when he slid full lenght with stick extended to shove the rubber into the corner.

Buck Boucher drew a minor for a trip on Berlinguette

Gerard rushed and the fans howled for Buck Boucher to pile it up, but he lost out in the corner.

OTTAWA SENATORS (NHL) VS. VANCOUVER MAROONS (PCHA)

Game 1: The Ottawa Journal - Mar 17, 1923 (1-0 W vs. VAN)

Clancy and Geo. Boucher sent in shots on Lehman which resounded all over the arena when they hit this gentleman's chest.

George Boucher and his brother Frank stafed some very pretty work in skating and stickhandling with the advantage in favor of Frank.

Georges Boucher skated the lenght of the ice for a shot on Lehman.Duncan took the puck away from him and was through the Ottawa defence.George Boucher seized his sweater and held him.George collected the first penalty of the evening.

Georges Boucher and Cook followed immediately after (a "fight" between Gerard and Harris), and staged a battle in centre ice.

Game 2: Ottawa Citizen Mar 20, 1923 (1-4 L vs. VAN, 1 goal)

"Buck" Boucher gravevines through for solitary Ottawa counter in final period.

Georges Boucher, Defence ace of the Ottawas, scored the only senators goal in last night's game.

Both Gerard and Georges Boucher stepped into the Vancouver forwards with considerable force.

Georges Boucher again tried conclusions with his younger Brother Frank, but did not fare so well as on the first occasion.

Georges Boucher broke away but was cut short at the Vancouver blue line.

Georges Boucher was penalized for tripping Skinner.Ottawa continued the game with five men.

The period ended with Georges Boucher skating furiously to escape his brother Frank who (?) to his heels in an effort to hook(?) the puck away from him.

Cook came up the center and passed to Skinner.They lost the puck to Georges Boucher, who fell on his way down the ice, but from a recumbent position did some nice handling and passed to Nighbor.

Harris took the puck and came down center for a long shot.Georges Boucher picked up the rebound, skated the full lenght and scored Ottawa's first goal.

Georges Boucher immediately afterward (an attack by Gerard and Denneny) received a round of applause for wizardry in stickhandling.

Press Box Notes:

The Ottawa defence appeared badly scattered, failing to block with their customary accuracy.

Shortly after the third period commenced, "Buck" Boucher went down the left boards and whistled one past Lehman from twenty feet out.Right after he went through again and carried rounds of applause with his wonderful stickhandling which gave him another shot, but was saved by Lehman.

Senators failed to show the dash and snap which characterized their play on Friday night.Their checking was very weak, Broadbent alone being the only one stepping in front of an opponent.

Game 2 (Extra) Calgary Daily Herald - Mar 20, 1923

George Boucher was the bright individual star for the Senators. He has no peers in movements designed to bring goals and the one he got for his team was well deserved. He was cheered again and again last night, not a voice being raised against him, although his tactics on defense were much more strenuous than anything charged to Gerard who seemed off color all evening.

Game 3: Ottawa Citizen Mar 24, 1923 (3-2 W vs. VAN)

Georges Boucher received round after round of applause from the big gathering on his serpentine(?) rushes.At times his elusive stickhandling made the Vancouver players look silly and the brunette defence man was all-powerful when it came to slowing down the opposing forwards or any other goal seekers.

Nighbor and Boucher gave a fine exhibition of stickhandling.

Frank Boucher after sgowing himself superior to his brother in the second game, again fell under the shadow of the fraternal alliance and seemed unable to solve the style of play displayed by Georges Boucher.

Game 4: Ottawa Citizen Mar 27, 1923 (5-1 W vs. VAN, wins series 3-1, 1 goal)

Benedict, Gerard, Boucher, Nighbor, Broadbent and Denneny constitute the grandest super-six that has ever graced the National League.

But Clancy wasn't alone in his glory.Benedict, Boucher, Gerard, Nighbor, Denneny, Broadbent and Hitchman- they were all heroes.

Nighbor, Broadbent and Denneny went the entire round, except for a few penalties, and so did Georges Boucher

At one stage of the match in the third period there were only Georges Boucher and Frank Nighbor in front of Clint Benedict, but this trio manipulated the play without a score against them until relief came from Harry Broadbent, who had been penalized, and Denneny came in place of Hitchman, who had also been penalized.

"BUCK" CROSSES MAROONS: Ottawas took command of the play ...?... Georges Boucher electrified the vast throng(?) by one of his masterful pieces of stickhandling and, when everybody, including the Vancouver defence, thought he was going to pass the puck accross to Broadbent on right wing, he crossed(?) them all by slamming it with lightning-like speed into the Vancouver net, completely dumbfounding Lehman, who was not looking for the shot.

In the second period Punch Broadbent made it three to nothing with one of his home-run drives after taking a lively pass from Georges Boucher.

Georges Boucher broke away with two beautiful rushes which brought applause from the crowd.

EVERY MAN A STAR: It would hardly be fair to the Senators as a whole to mention anyone in particular.Every player gave his very best except in the second match of the series, when the whole team seemed more or less disorganized.[...] Captain Eddie Gerard and Georges Boucher for the defence were solid as the Rock of (?).They used their heads(?) when danger threatened and reserved their strenght for the opportune moments knowing full well they were woefully short on substitutes.

Those who saw the game will remember Georges Boucher for his uncanny stickhandling and...

1923 Stanley Cup Finals

OTTAWA SENATORS (NHL) VS. EDMONTON ESKIMOS (WCHL)

Game 1: Edmonton Bulletin Mar 31, 1923 (2-1 W vs. EDM)

Position: D (Clancy)

Two points stand out from the run of the game.They are firstly that the Eskimos were able to penetrate to the Ottawa goal despite the wonderful defence of Benedict, Clancy and Boucher.

Georges Boucher made a spectacular rush which ended in a trip for which Ottawa received a penalty shot taken by Cy Denneny.

Even Georges Boucher was forced to forget his famous stick-handling and shoot from far out.

Georges Boucher went the lenght of the ice and made a brilliant effort to stickhandle his way through.

Boucher and Nighbor were skating their fastest, but appeared unable to get anywhere.

Game 1 (Extra): The Ottawa Journal - Mar 30, 1923

BOUCHER CRIPPLED

The game had only been under way ten minutes when Georges Boucher was corked and he limped badly through the rest of the period.A skate ripped through his boot, and he was cut almost to the bone.Boucher held on grimly, contend9ing himself with defensive play, but finally he forgot hurt and all after Hitchman scored, and he took chances on permanent injuries by his work.

Game 2: Edmonton Bulletin Apr 2, 1923 (1-0 W, Ottawa wins Stanley Cup)

Position: D (Partner: Gerard/Clancy/Hitchman?)

Georges Boucher played the first part of the game despite a badly cut foot received in the first game.

1923-1924

Game #2 - Ottawa Citizen Dec 20, 1923 (5-2 W vs. TOR, 2 goals)

Position: D (Partner: Hitchman)

GEORGES BOUCHER AND CY DENNENY EACH SCORE BRACE OF GOALS

To Georges Boucher, pride of New Edinburgh, goes a large share of credit for beating the visitors.Georges turned in one of the greatest displays ever given by a hockey player on any man's ice, scoring two goals on magnificient individual rushes, and might have scored the third had he been selfish enough to try.As it was, he made another spectacular rush and with only the net guardian to beat, passed the disc over to Cy Denneny, who gets credit for the counter.

...to Corbeau, who lost possession to Boucher near Ottawa's net.Boucher went straight to the center for a close-in shot.

Boucher went through the entire squad [...] and scored.

Game #3 - Ottawa Citizen Dec 27, 1923 (3-2 OT W vs. MTL)

Position: D (Partner: Clancy)

Georges Boucher also played well on the defence end.Possibly not as spectacular as he was in the recent game with St. Patricks but equally as effective.

Game #5 - Ottawa Citizen Jan 3, 1924 (4-3 W vs. TOR)

Boucher was hurt when he tried to hurdle Stuart's stick.

Boucher scored but it was off-side.

Boucher tripped Adams after the local center man had beaten the defence.

Boucher tripped Noble, saving a goal, and was banished just as Hitchman came on.

Game #7 - Ottawa Citizen Jan 10, 1924 (2-1 W vs. MTL)

Every player on the Ottawa team was at his best from Benedict out.Georges Boucher and Hitchman, who started on the defence end, both turned in splendid games...

Game #11 - Ottawa Citizen Jan 22, 1924 (3-2 W vs. MTL, 1 goal)

...and finally Georges Boucher made it two to nothing for Ottawa by rushing past Odie Cleghorn and beating Vezina with a shot from a difficult angle.

The crowd called for a penalty against Georges Boucher who dropped Morenz with a check over the head.

Nighbor was penalized for tripping and Georges Boucher objected.

Georges Boucher was penalized for tripping Odie Cleghorn.

Game #12 - Ottawa Citizen Jan 24, 1924 (5-1 W vs. TOR, 2 goals)

GEORGES BOUCHER AND NIGHBOR EACH SCORE A BRACE OF GOALS, HITCHMAN THE OTHER.

Georges Boucher again demonstrated that he is a great player, not only defensively but offensively.He scored the first two goals for Ottawa and inaugurated a number of other attacks.

...the visitors staged a number of individual rushes, chiefly by Clancy and Boucher, and Roach was tested several times.

Game #14 - Ottawa Citizen Jan 31, 1924 (7-2 W vs. TOR)

From the Press Box: Georges Boucher did not add any counters to his goal-getting record, but he played a most effective game nevertheless.His rushes, always spectacular, kept St. Pats defence guessing all the time.

The final score was 7-2 in Ottawa's favor.[...] All the players that Manager Gorman sent out on the ice took part in the scoring bee(?) except Boucher, Hitchman and Clancy and that trio assisted in getting some of the tallies.

Just before the game ended, Georges Boucher went through and passed over to Campbell and "Spiff" took it upon himself to make the champs' total seven.

Game #15 - Ottawa Citizen Feb 4, 1924 (0-1 D vs. MTL) ***(KNEE INJURY)***

GEORGES BOUCHER ACCIDENTLY INJURED AND OUT OF GAME IN SECOND PERIOD

Georges Boucher went out of commission in the second period, the result of a collision with Sprague Cleghorn.There was no blame attached to the latter, it appearing to be purely an accident but Boucher's knee was badly wrenched and he was unable to return to the game.

Georges Boucher was the first to draw a penalty in the game.The Ottawa defence man checked Joliat hard(?) early in the opening period and while the check appeared fair in Ottawa eyes, Referee Ross thought differently.Then early in the second period, Boucher met Sprague Cleghorn head-on and went the latter went down, another penalty fell to Boucher, who maintained that the check was perfectly legitimate and so it appeared to the latter, but the referee said Boucher had used his elbow unfairly and the Referee's decision was final.

While he was in the game, Georges Boucher was at his best and Hitchman also turned in a splendid game along side Boucher.

Game #16 - Ottawa Citizen Feb 7, 1924 (4-0 W vs. MTL)

Did not play

Canadiens were without Sprague Cleghorn in their line-up, the big fellow occupying a seat along side Manager Leo Dandurand, on the players' bench, and Ottawas' line-up lacked Georges Boucher, so it was all even as far as players went.Billy Coutu was back on Canadiens' defence and "King" Clancy took Boucher's place, and as the play went, Ottawas had the best of the break as Clancy was much better than Coutu.

The champs' defence stars of last season, Eddie Gerard and Georges Boucher, occupied seats on the players' bench, and helped Manager Gorman direct the champs to victory over their keenest rivals.

Game #18 - Ottawa Citizen Feb 14, 1924
(2-4 L vs. TOR)

Did not play

Game #20 - Ottawa Citizen Feb 22, 1924 (0-3 L vs. MTL)

GAME LACKS THRILLS

The game, however, had none of the thrills customary in contests between the two teams (OTT & MTL).Canadiens did their best to make it a real contest, but Ottawa was never in the picture.Whether it was that the players were paying an extra toll for their experience while snowbound Wednesday afternoon and night aboard a train, whether it was that they missed the services of Frank Nighbor and felt the loss of Georges Boucher's effectiveness-the latter playing with an injured knee that handicapped him greatley- or that the Senators knew they were safely in the play-off and the result did not matter, at any rate Ottaewa gave the impression of not being interested in the tussle.

Hitchman and Georges Boucher were frequently spread on the defence.This latter allowed Joliat and Coutu in turn to get through, only to miss the goal by inches.

Clancy missed a good opening made by Georges Boucher.

CANADIENS TO PLAY IN OTTAWA SATURDAY

Georges Boucher will be in better condition for tomorrow night's game.Boucher saved his injured knee all he possibly could last night and he could go to the post sound against Canadiens.

Game #22 - Ottawa Citizen Feb 28, 1924 (7-4 W vs. HAM, 1 goal)

GEORGES BOUCHER BACK IN BEST FORM

Cy Denneny, Spiff Campbell, Harry Broadbent and Georges Boucher were the other scorers for the champs.

The speed of Georges Boucher and Frank Clancy had the Tigers rather bewildered.

The game showed the complete return to form of Georges Boucher, who gave one of his greatest hockey displays."Buck" went at top speed repeatedly, and time after time, stick-handled his way through for a shot on "Jumping Vernie".

He (Nighbor) was on in place of Hitchman, and along side Georges Boucher, which made a classy defence.

1923-1924 PLAYOFFS

OTTAWA SENATORS VS. MONTREAL CANADIENS

Game 1: Ottawa Citizen Mar 10, 1924 (0-1 L vs. MTL)

The ice was in very poor condition

Georges Boucher was benched for bumping brother too strenuously.

There was no score in the opening period, and five minutes of the second had clapsed when canadien's counter came, and it was a flukey goal which might easily have been disallowed.A scramble occurred near the Ottawa net and when Georges Boucher attempted to clear, the puck struck Hitchman's leg and Morenz batted it accross the record line.

The work of Georges Boucher and Hitchman on the champs' defence was all that could be desired.They played their positions perfectly.Boucher was the only player on either side who was able ot manipulate the puck on the sloppy surface to any extent.Several times this great stick-handler went through for open shots on Vezina but Chicoutimi was at his best and tossed the puck off as though it were the size of a toy balloon.

Game 2: Ottawa Citizen Mar 12, 1924 (2-4 L vs. MTL, loses series by 3 goals)

Position: LD (Partner: Hitchman RD)

CANADIENS WIN N.H.L. TITLE BY DEFEATING OTTAWAS AS 4 TO 2 WINNING ROUND BY 3 GOALS

A spectacular play by Georges Boucher seven minutes later, when he assisted Cy Denneny to score Senators second and last tally.

In the writer's opinion, only Hitchman and Georges Boucher were up to form on the Ottawa team.

AFTERMATH

Ottawa Citizen Mar 14, 1924

MANAGER GORMAN HITS BACK IN DEFENCE OF OTTAWA PLAYERS

[...]

"Georges Boucher's injury last month was another wicked blow.It slowed up the great defence man, and he has not since been himself.Had it not been for this injury, Boucher would have had a banner season." - Gorman

1924-1925

Game #2 - Ottawa Citizen Dec 4, 1924 (2-1 W vs. MTL)

Ottawas had eight penalties, three to Clancy, two each to Georges Boucher and Hooley Smith and one to Captain Nighbor but in no case were their offences of a serious nature.

It was the first time in many years that local hockey patrons had seen an Ottawa team step in as the Senators did last night.Georges Boucher, "King" Clancy and "Hooley" Smith were not long letting their opponents know that they were not going to take their bumps passively.This trio especially, retaliated and even Frank Nighbor, who in scores of previous games, had never played anything but the puck, stepped in and gave body-check for body-check and was playing brilliantly until put out of action.

Coutu drew a penalty for giving Georges Boucher the knee, which threw the Senator defence man sprawling on the ice.

Georges Boucher was suffering from a boll on his hand, which was greatly aggravated by ablow from brother Bill early in the fracas, but "Buck" turned in a splendid game nevertheless.

Press Box Note: Two men who did an immense amount of work were Cy Denneny and Georges Boucher.Both played hard, clean games and were always effective.

Game #4 - Ottawa Citizen Dec 11, 1924 (3-6 L vs. TOR, 1 goal)

Position: D (Partner: Gorman)

And, the Senators were at full strenght as far as players go.Georges Boucher was back in his regular place on defence, and Manager Gorman was able to send his strongest lineup, but in the first two periods the Senators displayed the poorest hockey that local fans have ever seen them turn in.

Boucher was below his regular good form the result of a lay-off of a week due to boils(?) but he tried hard all the time, and that's more than can be said for some of his team-mates.

Game #5 - Ottawa Citizen Dec 16, 1924 (10-2 W vs. BOS, 2 goals)

GEORGES BOUCHER, KING CLANCY AND HOOLEY SMITH EACH SCORE TWICE.

G.Boucher came skating down the side lines, feinted past the defense and stuck it in the corner for the Senators' fifth counter.

Boucher's short dribbles were confusing but without score.

Fowler came out twice to break up Senators' attack with Boucher and Denneny carrying.

Boucher slipped a score trhough Fowler in 12 minutes.It was after a Clancy rebound.

Mr.Frank Ryan referred to the splendid combination of the Ottawa forwards, Nighborm Denneny and H.Smith, and also the brilliant stickhandling of Georges Boucher.

Game #8 - Ottawa Citizen Dec 24, 1924 (1-2 L vs. MTL)

Noble flipped it in Connell, who had little chance on the play (interference).Georges Boucher, who was acting captain in the absence of Frank Nighbor, protested vigorously to no avail.

The first clash occured between Georges Boucher and Punch Broadbent, but nothing serious happened.

Connell played a good game in the Ottawas nets, and Boucher and Clancy in front of him played well, the King especially, but the absence of Nighbor compelled Coach Green to use every combination at his disposal...(unreadable).

Game #11 - Ottawa Citizen Jan 5, 1925 (2-0 W vs. HAM)

Boucher went high on a dazzling rush, but Denneny missed the pass.

The goalie made a marvellous stop of a shot from Boucher just as the bell sounded to close the game.

Game note: At one time, Ottawas were two men short, Nighbor and Clancy decorating Fred Denneny's throne, but Buck Boucher, Denneny and Smith formed a stonewall defence.

Game note: Georges Boucher showed a splendid game all through.Between times he found time and opportunity to extend New Year's felicitations to one Kenneth Randall, an acquaintance of old-standing.

Game #13 - Ottawa Citizen Jan 12, 1925 (4-0 W vs. MTL, 2 goals)

There were plenty of the stiffest variety of body checks.The customers saw Georges Boucher knock heavy Dunc Munro sprawling, with a perfectly fair check when the Montreal defence man was all set to sto phim, and they later saw Boucher take a high dive when he glanced off the side of "Dutch" Cain

In the final period, Georges Boucher, single-handed, accounted for two more goals after two of the most brilliant plays ever seen on local ice.In each instance he bewildered his opposition by dazzling stick-handling, combined with speed, the like of which is rarely witnessed on any ice.

The defence of Boucher and Clancy could not have been improved upon.

The Munros, Dunca and Gerald, looked like the best defence pair in Maroon jerseys, but they did not show the class of Boucher and Clancy.

The big four grapplers on Montreals' forward line were unable to get their hoo' on the speedy Senators, and at times they looked quite ordinary as Calncy, Boucher and Nighbor would speed away from them.

Game note: One of the pleasing incidents of the match was a bit of real sportsmanship exhibited by Georges Boucher in the second period.Boucher tore in on one of his several clever rushes, and going between the Maroon defence men.Cain flopped him neatly, but severely, over his knee.It was a nasty tumble(?), but Buck appreciated the clever blocking of the Montrealer and had a big smile form him when he regained his feet.

The Calgary Daily Herald Jan 12, 1925***MID-SEASON N.H.L. ALL-STAR TEAM***

N.H.L. ALL-STAR TEAM

Here are the first and second all-star teams picked by the Hamilton Spectator from the N.H.L. material:

1st TEAM
G: Vézina, Canadiens
D: Boucher, Ottawa
D: Cleghorn, Canadiens
C: Burch, Hamilton
RW: "Shorty Green", Hamilton

2nd TEAM
G: Forbes, Hamilton
D: Coutu, Canadiens
D: Langlois, Hamilton
C: Morenz, Canadiens
RW: Dye, St.Pats
LW: Green, Hamilton

Game #14 - Ottawa Citizen Jan 15, 1925 (2-3 L vs. TOR)

...and then Holway and Boucher went off for a sparring match.

Game #16 - Ottawa Citizen Jan 22, 1925 (4-5 L vs. HAM, 1 goal)

Randall and Boucher were both penalized for mixing it.

1925-1926

Montreal Gazette Oct 3, 1925

The New York Hockey Club, Inc., has offered the Ottawa Hockey Association $10,000 for the services of George Boucher, star defenceman of the Ottawa hockey team.

Mr. Gorman accompanied in his offer with a marked cheque for the amount mentioned. Mr. Gorman is understood to have proposed to double George Boucher's salary and to give him a five-year contract.

Referring to his offer, Mr. Gorman stated tonight: "It is a lot of money, but I feel that George Boucher is worth it. He is a brilliant stickhandler and would make a great impression in New York. He will not be sold or traded if I secure his services.

It is unlikely that Frank Ahearn [Ottawa manager] will dispose of his players at any price...Substantial increases have been given all the players and, with the signing of Nighbor, Clancy and Boucher, Ottawa is in an enviable position for next winter.

George Boucher will be captain of the squad...

Game #2 - Ottawa Citizen Dec 4, 1925 (2-0 W vs. BOS, 1 goal)

Position: D (Partner: Clancy/Gorman)

Ex-captain and captain of Ottawa N.H.L. team (under pictures of Nighbor and Boucher, in that order), now league leaders, who turned in clever games against Boston Bruins last night.This pair of veterans will be seen at their best tomorrow night against Pittsburgh Pirates in the Auditorium.

The checking, which was rather feeble in the early part of the period, became a little more (?) near the end.Stan Jackson roughed up(?) with Georges Boucher and both were given minor penalties.No hard feeling prevailed, however, as both were laughing as they headed to the offenders' bench.

CAPT. BOUCHER GETS ONE : (?) Minutes after this period, Boucher went down left boards, (?)ging out to center and passed the puck to left wing, where Denneny took possession, but the shooting angle(?) was bad from the side and Cy whipped it back to Boucher, who landed the puck in the net before Stewart could see it.The play was easily the best of the night.

Boucher and Clancy were sound defensively, few Bruins getting in a dangerous position, and both rushed well.

Ed Gorman started out on left wing and finished up on the defence with Boucher, Clancy going to the bench.Previous to this Boucher had been given a rest.

Game #6 - Ottawa Citizen Dec 16, 1925 (2-1 W vs. BOS)

Boucher went down all (?) and banged in a warm one that nearly fooled "Doc" Stewart.

The hard work (?) Boucher returned the puck for a (?) on Stewart

Game #8 - Ottawa Citizen Dec 24, 1925 (4-2 W vs. TOR, 3 goals)

CAPT. GEORGES BOUCHER STARS IN SENATORS' 4 TO 2 VICTORY OVER ST. PATS IN AUDITORIUM

The locals came back strong in the last period, with Georges Boucher scoring his third goal of the match and putting the game away.

Capt. Georges Boucher Stars: It was a great night for Senators' skipper."Buck" fattened his goal-getting record by three after turning in one more brilliant game, but a few minutes before the contest ended he encountered a little hard luck, when one of his ankles was wrenched sliding into the boards.

Neville replaced Adams repeatedly at center, but couldn't make much headway against Nighbor, Clancy and Boucher, neither could Pete Bellefeuille or Doc Smythe, who took turns on the forward line.

For the locals, Capn. "Buck" Boucher was the outstanding star, although Nighbor did all he was required to do.

King Clancy, out in front, teamed up with Boucher in a strong defence.

When Boucher skipped by the defence and wafted a low one at him.

Boucher broke out alone,.Denneny hustled up onto the job and passed back when Boucher fed him the back at the defence.Buck just reached it and tipped it over Roach, who had gone down to try to save.

Boucher kept right on in a straight line and went between Corbeau and Day.His cross-fire was too much for Roach.

Bert McCaffrey went ambling up right wing, crowded in on Boucher's side and hammered another past Connel from three feet out.

Once more Georges Boucher set out for Roachville.He again fed Denneny and then grabbed the rebound from Cy's shot to peg it back into the hemp.

Georges Boucher was hurt when he stopped Corbeau, his knee being twisted.

Game #11 - Ottawa Citizen Jan 2, 1926 (0-3 L vs. TOR)

Before he scored in the third period, he faed a shot shoved the puck between Georges Boucher's skate and then drove the rubber against the twine with a great shot from the side.

...in the first period, but Clancy, Boucher and Connell played well defensively and broke up numerous promising attacks.

Game #12 - Ottawa Citizen Jan 6, 1926 (4-0 W vs. Maroons)

Captain Georges Boucher, evidently retaliating for a wicked check from Dunc Munro earlier in the game, hooked Dunc in the mouth causing the claret to flow, but the former football star came back into the fray more determined than ever.

Georges Boucher was at his best.His defensive play was sound and his rushes gave the opposition plenty to work over."Buck" was given a rough ride, but gave back about as much as he received.

Georges Boucher turned in another wonderful game.Buck was there both ways and showed just what a real good hockey player he is by staying in there under plenty of provocation.The Maroo harrying did not bother him a bit.

From end to end they swept, Boucher flooring Munro when the latter was dangerous

Boucher broke through the center with Clancy and Denneny on right and left side respectively, Munro pilled over on the King and Noble had to check Boucher.Buck fed it to Cy and Benny had so little chance to block the blazing drive that he never moved until he turned to pick it out of the net.

Stewart rushed ot the blue line and Boucher brought it back.He rapped Munro in the teeth when the latter checked him and got his second rest.

Stewart continued to look for trouble.He butt-ended Boucher and was chased again.

Game #14 - Ottawa Citizen Jan 12, 1926 (1-0 OT W vs. NYA)

Boucher, who had played a particularly brilliant game, was out for two minutes for Tripping Red Green.

New York fans expected much fro mthe Ottawa team.They had been told all about the great speed of "King" Clancy, the wizardry of Captain Georbes Boucher, the wonderful play of Frank Nighbor, the sharpshooting of Cy Denneny, and the great team-play of the boys from Canada's capital.Now they believe it all.

Burch woke the crowd up with a snappy run through the whole Senators' team but Boucher stopped him in the nick of time.

Game #16 - Ottawa Citizen Jan 20, 1926 (2-1 W vs. MTL)

Their defense was really wonderful, Boucher, Clancy and Nighbor completely bottling up the attacking Canadiens, and the goal tending of Connell was again superb.

GOOD TEAM PLAY: [...] Boucher and Clancy played perfectly.

Game #17 - Ottawa Citizen Jan 22, 1926 (3-2 W vs. NYA)

Game notes: Georges Boucher showed Ottawa fans another splendid exhibition."Buck" was right in his element.The fast, open game gave him plenty of room to do his stuff, and some of his stick work was nothing but dazzling.

Boucher was away for two hard drives

Buck shook Randall up with a high check but it got by.

Game #25 - Ottawa Citizen Feb 17, 1926 (1-0 W vs. MTL)

Georges Boucher Stars.

In the final period and especially toward the end, Canadiens threw everything they had into the offensive.They went down three, and sometimes four, abreast, but found the defence of Georges Boucher and Frank Clancy, ably augmented by Hooley Smith, just about unbeatable.

BUCK AND KING STAR: The work of Captain Georges Boucher and King Clancy, as a defence pair, could not have been improved upon, for they made few mistakes.The Ottawa skipped drew a couple of penalties that he did not think he was entitled to.They appeared to be the results of family feud, Billy and Georges bumping into each other whenever the occasion presented itself.The Ottawa captains' rushes were, as usual, spectacular.His stick-handling was superb, and at times he forced applause from the hostile customers.His generalship had much to do with the Senators victory.

Neither could Canadiens (score) when Georges Boucher was chased for tapping Mantha's sore nose.

ON THE DEFENSIVE: When Clancy was off (on the penalty bench), Georges Boucher gave a perfect exhibition of stickhandling in holding the puck and successfully killing time.He was chased by brother Billy of Canadiens.Georges won the family feud of the moment when Billy was chased for tripping him.

Georges Boucher was chased for heavy play and Ottawa was handicapped.

Game #28 -Ottawa Citizen Feb 24, 1926 (1-1 D vs. Maroons)

GEORGES BOUCHER INJURED AND FORCED OUT OF GAME IN FIRST PERIOD

BOUCHER INJURED: The Ottawas were unlucky in the win for they had a decided (?) in the play.They were unlucky in more ways than one.Georges Boucher, their brilliant defence player, was put out of action in the first period.He had been playing magnificient hockey yp to the time he had a collision with Nels Stewart, mar(?) hhusky player.The two collided head on like battering rams.Boucher, upon arising, was unable to move his right leg and it was subsequently discovered that he was injured in the groin, despite that, he attempted to resume play in the early part of the second period.

SOUND DEFENCE: Out in front of Connel, Georges Boucher, as already stated, was in grand form until he was forced to leave the ice.His rushes were, as usual, spectacular, and his drives low and dead on the net.

BUCK IMPROVED: Late tonight, Dr. Harry Whitley, who came over with the team, stated that while Georges Boucher's injury was painful, he would be alright in a day or two.

Game #31 - Ottawa Citizen Mar 5, 1926 (1-0 W vs. NYA)

Did not play(?)

The Senators were fortunate in the early part of the season about to close, in escaping serious injuries and took advantage of the condition to race off into a long lead.This lead came in mighty handy recently as Old Man Misfortune finally overtook them and a few of the reliables were incapacitated.

Captain Georges Boucher, Edwin Gorman and "Hooley" Smith were the greatest casualties.

[...]

The Senators' skipper, "Buck" Boucher, is in rather bad shaoe but will be sound enough to step out against Odie Cleghorn's Pittsburgh Pirates in the Auditorium next monday night, or Dr. Harry Whitley is wrong in his opinion.

1925-1926 PLAYOFFS

OTTAWA SENATORS vs. MONTREAL MAROONS

Game 1: Ottawa Citizen Mar 24, 1926 (1-1 D vs. Maroons)

CLANCY RISES TO STARDOM - Georges Boucher And Frank Nighbor Lead Senators In Brilliant Uphill Battle On Montreal Ice.

OTTAWA DEFENCE GREAT: The fact that the Maroons obtained only one goal was dyue largely to the brilliant work of the Ottawa defence pair, Clancy and Boucher, who broke up rush after rush in the Ottawa defence.

ALL OTTAWAS GOOD: It would be difficult to pick out an Ottawa star on the Senators' team, for they all played excellent hockey except in the second period, when the line appeared somewhat demoralized, but once they all got in their stride they were able to a little more than hold their own.Alex Connell gacve a good exhibition regardless of the long shot that beat him, and the defence of Clancy and Boucher could hardly be improved upon.

Bill Phillips tricked his way by two Ottawa forwards, but Boucher saved.

Stewart rushed to the Ottawa defence.He was laid low by Georges Boucher and the crowd roared like mad.It was ruled a fair body.

Noble stopped Boucher's rush (down 4 men vs. 6), but kicked the puck in clearing.

Phillips tricked Nighbor at center, but could not beat Boucher.Boucher rushed and was felled(?) at the defence by Siebert's tough body.

Noble sensed a break and he rushed.He outguessed Gorman and Boucher, but with the goaler at his mercy, could not beat the brilliant Connell in the Ottawa net.

Georges Boucher was chased for heavy play on Siebert and the Maroons had an edge in man power.

Georges Boucher and Siebert started a private feud, but it was all words.

Boucher chopped at Stewart and was warned.

Georges Boucher was showing signs of ill-temper and was finally chased for a high-stick on Munro's head.

BOUCHER IN ARGUMENT: Georges Boucher gave Referee Hewitson an argument on being warned for packing a high stick.

Montreal was doing most of the attacking, but the Ottawa defense was impregnable.

"BUCK" SEES RED: Georges Boucher was stopped by Broadbent and objected.Munro talked to Boucher when he remonstrated with Broadbent.Boucher threw his glove in Munro's face and was chased.Stewart jostled Boucher as he skated among players hunting for his lost mitten and Stewart was benched.

ECHOES FRO MTHE BIG BATTLE: Kin Clancy's spectacular dashes and Boucher's remarkable stickhandling in the first session evoked cheers even from the extremely partisan crowd.

ECHOES FROM THE BIG BATTLE: Captain Georges Boucher was the outstanding player among the Ottawa in the second period, but was given a very heavy ride by the bulky Maroon defence, so much so that Georges retaliated on one occasion and drew a penalty.

Game 2: Montreal Gazette Mar 29, 1926 (0-1 L, Maroons wins the series 2-1)

MAROONS CAPTURED N.H.L. TITLE WITH WIN OVER OTTAWA

Georges Boucher drew an early penalty for a high one on Phillips

Stewart stole the puck from Boucher behind the Ottawa net and Broadbent joined in a scramble around Connell's cage.

It was the victory of an up and coming young team, one possessing speed, experience, craft and above all, club spirit, over a machine which could not stand the withering and heavy pace of the younger opposition.It was heavy going for such veterans as Nighbor, Denneny and Georges Boucher.Ottawa had not recovered from Thursday's game.

1926-1927

Game #7 - Ottawa Citizen Dec 8, 1926 (3-2 W vs. CHI, 1 goal)

Position: LD (Partner: Clancy)

Boucher tied it up by a beautiful shot with only five seconds left in the period shooting from the left of the rink after a hard drive through the Chicago defence (on the power play).

"King" Clancy, Boucher, Hooley Smith and Adams also did some brilliant work.

Kilrea just missed a shot after a pretty pass from Boucher.

Boucher is causing Chicago plenty of trouble.

Game #8 - Ottawa Citizen Dec 10, 1926 (3-1 W vs. DET, 1 goal)

"Buck" Outguess "Happy": Georges Boucher's drive wasn't a fluke- it was just a slip on the part of the cougar custodian.

Next to Nighbor and Smith, Clancy, Boucher and Kilrea were most prominent for the Senators.The defence men contributed some brilliant puck-carrying, as well as sturdy defending, while Kilrea was a "skating fool" all night.

Game #10 - Ottawa Citizen Dec 15, 1926 (2-0 W vs. NYA)

The final period found the Americans fighting furiously, but once more they were turned aside by the magnificent defensive machine, consisting of Connell, Clancy and Boucher, aided always by a (?) set of forwards who skipped from the advanced trenches to aid those behind at every sign of danger.

Burch knowed the under pinning fro mGeorges Boucher as a start to the last period, evidently by way of wiping off an old score.

The defence of Connell, Clancy and Boucher, for the Ottawa team, was the best ever seen in this city, and if the forwards made any mistakes they were not visible to the naked eye.

Game #13 - Ottawa Citizen Dec 24, 1926 (1-0 W vs. NYR)

The Boucher-Clancy defence again worked to perfection, and both carried a lot of trouble to their opponents when they began rushes towards the New York net.Boucher's stickhandling was superb as it usually is, and the speed of Clancy, on different occasions, carried him well into Rangers territory for wicked shots on Winkler.

Game #16 - Ottawa Citizen Jan 5, 1927 (1-2 OT L vs. BOS)

Clancy, who battled with Sprague Cleghoirn, was banished three times, and Boucher twice.

Game #18 - Ottawa Citizen Jan 12, 1927 (4-1 W vs. TOR)

Brydge and McCaffrey could not come to the mark set by Boucher and Clancy.

Bailey and Carson worked well together but Ottawas' defence was too much for them.They didn't get by Clancy and Boucher very oftren, and when they did, they had "Shutout" Alex Connell to deal with, and Connell was on his best behavior last night, although he did not have near the amount ogf work to do that his rival, Roach, had to contend with.

Game #26 - Ottawa Citizen Feb 2 (2-4 L vs. NYA)

Boucher engineered one of his many rushes and was chased into the corner.He raced the puck around to Kilrea who (?) against the fence, passed it out in front.

Georges Boucher was immense.He checked hard and cleanly, engineered any number of dangerous attacks and worked Forbes into a state of frenzy with his smoking smashes at the American cage.

Game #28 - Ottawa Citizen Feb 10, 1927 (3-5 L vs. CHI)

Boucher stole the puck from Dick Irvin, when the Chicago captain had skated clear for a free shot at Connell in front of him.It was a pretty play.

Clancy and Boucher played well for the Senators.

The Senators started out with a rush.Boucher, Kilrea and Hoolet Smith making matters hot for the Hawks, and breaking through time after time and fighting desperately to score.

Game #30 - Ottawa Citizen Feb 16, 1927 (2-2 D vs. NYR)

Boucher and Clancy played their usual strong game on defence, holding out such clever goal-getters as the Cook brothers and stopping the rushes of the ponderous defencemen, Abel and Johnson, and they were also conspicuous with telling rushes on the New York net.The speed of Clancy and the stickhandling of Boucher were roundly applauded time after time.

Extra (Ottawa Journal same date): The body thumping exchanges between George Boucher and Ching Johnson were particularly inspiriting.

Game #33 - Ottawa Citizen Feb 23, 1927 (2-1 OT W vs. MTL)

...the clever blocking and offensive of Herb Gardiner, Sylvio Mantha and Albert Leduc for Canadiens was fully equalled by the work of King Clancy, Georges Boucher and Alex Smith.

Georges Boucher appeared to be in a rather hostile mood, regardless of the fact that his playing was up to its usual standard.He stickhandled his way time after time for powerful drives on Hainsworth, but for some reason or other he seemed to run foul of not a few of the customers.

Georges Boucher was given his first penalty for riding Leduc into the boards.

Game #36 - Ottawa Citizen Mar 4, 1927 (2-1 W vs. PIT)

Position: D (Clancy)

GEORGES BOUCHER INJURED

Boucher was carried off the ice when he collided with White in front of Pittsburgh's net.He suffered a leg injury.

Game #39 - Ottawa Citizen Mar 14, 1927 (4-3 W vs. NYA)

Did not play.

Game #41 - Ottawa Citizen Mar 18, 1927 (1-0 W vs. BOS)

CAPT. GEORGES BOUCHER BACK IN ACTION, SHOWS GOOD PERFORMANCE

"BUCK" COMES BACK: More pleasing to Manager Gill than the winning of the game from the Bruins was the return of Captain Georges Boucher."Buck" started and he also finished the game, showing little sign of favoring the injured leg, whoich had kept him out of action for some time.

Buck Boucher, making his first local appearence in several games, put up a masterful performance on the Senatorial defence, routing Oliver or Frederickson whevener they succeeded in outwitting the first line of defence.

Game #43 - Ottawa Citizen Mar 25, 1927 (4-0 W vs. TOR)

GEORGES BOUCHER AGAIN PUT OUT OF COMMISSION

Early in the game, Brydge mixed it up with Georges Boucher, but the latter only was penalized.

A few minutes afterward, the same offender (?) his knee to trip Georges Boucher and gave the latter a bad fall.Boucher had to be carried off the ice in the dressing room, where Dr.Whitler attended his injury.After the game, it was announced that while the Ottawas' captain may not play against the Maroons on Saturday night, he will be alright for the playoffs.

Georges Boucher and Slim Halderson carried on a vendetta all evening, and enlivened the game by alternately dumping each other.

1926-1927 PLAYOFFS

OTTAWA SENATORS VS. MONTREAL CANADIENS

Game 1: The Ottawa Journal - Apr 3, 1927 (4-0 W vs.MTL)

Boucher and Hooley Smith went tearing down together and Hooley was checked right at the goal mouth.

Clancy went off for tripping and affairs look ominous.Georges Boucher then put on a stickhandling act that brought down the house to keep Canadiens chasing him till Kilrea came on."Buck" broke away again, and Mantha got in front of his terrific shot that hit him above the knee, and apprently hurt as he tottered back to his position.

Game Notes: "Buck" Boucher played a perfect game.When Ottawas went two men short he performed prodigies of stickhandling, and he rose to great defensive heights.In the third period he did a lot of useful rushing, and while a bit timind about his knee at the start looked like the skipper at his best at the finish.

Game Notes: Boucher worked some flashy stickwork at times.He wisely contented himself with defensive play most of the time, and let Clancy do the rushing.

New York Times Apr 4, 1927

With the hockey stick-swingers still briskly battling away for the Stanley Cup, several readers have thought this a golden opportunity to raise the issue of an all-star hockey team. Step up and take your pick. Almost everybody agrees that Howie Morenz of the Canadiens belongs at centre ice on any all-star combination. Beyond that, all agreements are off.

With the exception of these few minor details a hockey game is just a night off for a defense man. When a team wins, who gets the credit? The forwards. When a team loses, who is to blame? Why, the defense, most certainly. No wonder that the favorite song of the back area boys is: "Oh, for the Life of a Fireman!"

It's no job at all to pick two good men and true out of this courageous crew. The difficulty is in keeping out those who probably deserve to get in. However, nobody could overlook "King" Clancy of the Senators or Herb Gardiner of the Canadiens. Clancy is a sturdy buffer in the backfield and a fast man down the ice. He's one of hockey's best triple-threat men - he can check, skate and shoot.

As for Gardiner, he's the real "sixty-minute man" of the league. He wants to play every game from the first face-off to the final whistle, and if any upstart comes on the ice to relieve him Herb is outraged. Not as brilliant as Clancy, he is perhaps steadier through a season's run. Then there's Mantha of the Canadiens, Sprague Cleghorn of the Bruins, George Boucher of the Senators, Ching Johnson of the Rangers and other cheerful checkers who belong in the front rank when heavy holsters are wanted in a hurry.

Game 2: Ottawa Citizen Apr 5, 1927 (1-1 D vs. MTL, Ottawa wins series 5-1)

Connel in the Ottawa net played brilliantly, stopping many shots that were ticketed through and the defence of King Clancy and Georges Boucher was at its best.

Boucher came down and tested Hainsworth from the blueline.

Mantha faked a pass near center to Joliat and swept in between Clancy and Boucher to beat Connell clearly.It was a great play on Mantha's part.

Morenz almost counted on the sensational rush,Boucher hoisted him off his pins and saved a goal but took a penalty.

Boucher raced down center and went down as Leduc stepped into him.

Boucher cheked Gagne out of Leduc's pass at the defence.

1927 Stanley Cup Finals

Game 1: The Ottawa Journal - Apr 8, 1927 (0-0 T vs. BOS)

The second penalty of the game went to Georges Boucher, Ottawa defence man, who attempted to wrap his stick around Shore's head.The period ended with him in the penalty box.

Georges Boucher took a pot shot from the blueline and Winkler never saw the puck until it struck his pads.

Georges Boucher had a wonderful scoring chance when he grabbed a loose puck after Shore failed to clear quickly.Winkley took the resulting shot right on his pads, however.

Game Notes: Boucher kept to his knitting and was sound defensively.His experience was a big help.He is an old timer in these Stanley Cup events.

Game 2: The Ottawa Journal - Apr 11, 1927 (3-1 W vs. BOS)

Only once after the third period did Ottawa send three men up together.That was in the third period when George Boucher got a jump and bored down on the Boston defence with an unchecked wing on either side of him.A pass to Denneny, however, went wrong and a good chance to score with it.

Game Notes: George Boucher played canny hockey and his stick-work was always impressive.Bruins tried to draw him into battle but he kept his head in good style.Boucher wouldn't let himself be swayed from his purpose.Bruins had a definite plan of baiting him but it fell flat and Boucher pursued the even tenor of his way though he was molested time after time with nudging(?) butt ends.

Game 3: Ottawa Citizen Apr 12, 1927 (1-1 D vs. BOS)

Georges Boucher and Alex Smith, Ottawas' other defencemen (other than Clancy), played cleverly.The former received a couple of bad tosses which slowed him up considerably, but his defence was sound, and he rushed through repeatedly on clever stickhandling jaunts for shots on the Boston net.

Eddie Shore and Georges Boucher led in trips to the penalty bench, each with four, but in favor of those two players it may be said that a couple of the penalties to each might have been withheld.

Lionel Hitchman played a great game for the Bruins.He and Georges Boucher waged a private feud for the greater part of the evening with honors even.

Georges Boucher was chased for dumping Herberts on the defence.

Game 3 (Extra): The Ottawa Journal - Apr 12, 1927 (1-1 T vs. BOS)

Fronting Connell the old guard of Boucher and Clancy reveared their best hockey.Clancy was a sensation on attack, and a Gibraiter(?) on defence.Boucher was adamantine(?) on defence.Once he picked the puck off Herberts stick when the latter was sweeping in on Connell much as Nighbor does after forwards think they have evaded his long stick.He met Boston forwards head on and regardless of consequences.

Game 4: Ottawa Citizen Apr 14, 1927 (3-1 W vs. BOS, Ottawa wins Stanley Cup)

Position: D (Partner Clancy)

The feud which had existed between Lionel Hitchman and Hooley Smith, broke out when there was but five minutes remaining, and after the two players slashed at each oher along the left boards near the Ottawa net, they squared away to finish the affair under the Marquis of Queennsbury rules.Captain Georges Boucher of the Ottawas, went to the assistance of his teammate and he and Hitchman exchanged wallops for which they were banished by Referee Jerry Laflamme for the remainder of the game.

The defence of King Clancy and Georges Boucher was fully up to its highest standard each playing a superior brand of hockey.

Georges Boucher made a spectacular rush but his shot was off the mark.

Boucher relieved a Fredrickson-Cleghorn rush and shot through the defence.Winkler moving quick to save.It was a smart play on "Buck"'s part.

Georges Boucher opened the firing in the last period with a long shot.

LOOKING IN ON THE CLOSING CUP GAME: The "insiders" got a rude jolt last night when the two men who were supposed to be "done" at the beginning of the season stood out as three-star heroes in the Senatorial triumph.Captain Georges Boucher led his Senators in brilliant fashion, while the antics of one Cy Denneny were a treat to behold.

Game 4 (Extra) - Apr 14, 1927 Montreal Gazette

Hooley Smith rode high into Hitchman, it is true, but big Hitch made a bad move when he clubbed Hooley across the ribs. Then in sailed George Boucher and the fat was in the fire.

Ottawa were in a hole when George Boucher spilled Herberts as the latter tried to hurdle the Ottawa defense.

As the pivot, he was feeding his wings, but both Oliver and Galbraith piled up on a solid Ottawa defense. Oliver was almost through alone, but George Boucher poked the puck from him just as the Bruin right winger broke.

While the Senators finished up with the score 3 to 1 in their favour, the play was much closer than that and only through stellar defensive work on the part of the Boucher-Clancey-Connell tandem aided by the stury young Alex Smith and the devastaing poke-checks of Frank Nighbor and Hooley Smith were the Bruins held at bay to the finish.

1927-1928

The Ottawa Citizen - Dec 27, 1927

Boucher is playing the best hockey of his career and if there is any man on the Ottawa team at present time deserving of the most valuable player award it is the game George Boucher. "Buck" has scored many goals for Ottawa this winter, goals which have come at opportune times and only for the fact George Hainsworth was playing the game of his life last night. Boucher would have whipped in at least one goal. He absorbed plenty of punishment in Canadiens goalwards thrusts but he took it all with a grin- at the same time evening up for any sly cracks that came his way.

... The defensive and offensive brilliancy of George Boucher, Frank Clancy, XXXX XXXXX and Frank Nighbor and the gallant forward line movements of Punch Broadbent, Len Grosvenor and Cy Denneny

Boucher whizzed Gardiner's cap off with a hard body check.

Leduc came barging through and Boucher flattened him.

1928-1929

Ottawa Citizen, Feb 15, 1929***TRADE***

SENATORS TRADE GEORGES BOUCHER FOR ''JOE'' LAMB

NO MONEY INVOLVED BY WHICH MAROONS SECURE ONE OF THE GREAT STARS OF HIS GENERATION

The announcement that from Montreal last night that Georges Boucher, veteran defenceman and captain of the Senators, had been traded for Joe Lamb, while it created some surprise was a move that was anticipated in Ottawa hockey circles, at least as far as the departure of Boucher to the Maroons went.It was known that Boucher himself desired a trade and that he desired to play for some other team and that his old mate on the defence in the halcyon days of Ottawa pro-hockey, Eddie Gerard, would like to have his services.

The departure of Georges Boucher leaves only Frank Nighbor of the old guard of the Senators of 1921 onwards, who compiled the greatest record of any team in pro hockey during the past eight years, if not in the history of hockey.Georges was a great player, a player whose name will go down in the history of the game as one of the most famous stars of a generation.And whatever may have been his last few efforts in Ottawa, he was never ruled off for not trying and the local fans will long remember the greatest stick-handler of them all the last survivor of a generation of pro players, who if they could not skate with the present players could stick-handle all around them.

Georges, still a young man in years has slowed down somewhat due in a large measure to his own stick-handling brilliancy in his palmy days, when the only way some defences could get him was to trip him.His legs were badly battered in those days, and the strain of continuous play.Georges seldom got relief, told on his speed.In new surroundings with plenty of relief he should have some, perhaps many years, of usefulness left and he has many friends in Ottawa who wish him all the luck there is in his new surroundings.

One by one the heroes of 1923 and preceding years have gone.In the great Stanley Cup series of 1923 the Ottawas cleaned Vancouver at the coast.Of that great team only Nighbor is left.Clancy a mere stripling, was breaking in then.The line-up was: Benedict, Cleghorn, Gerard, Boucher, Nighbor, Broadbent and Darragh.They left a record that may never be equalled in this generation, and of that doughty crew Boucher was one of the greatest.

The Ottawa Journal - Feb 15, 1929 ***TRADE***

A MAIN COG

Boucher has been one of the main cogs in the Senator machine since joining them and is regarded as one of the most durable defence players in the game.He is regarded by hockey authorities as one of the best stickhanbdler of all-time while his steady defensive style has always been a feature of his play.

[...]

He has always been a gamester and has given his best efforts while playing with the red, white and black machine.

Last edited:

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
th

Ken Hitchcock !!!

Awards and Achievements:
Stanley Cup Champion (1999)

3 x Olympic Gold Medalist (2002, 2010, 2014)
World Cup Gold Medalist (2004)
World Junior Gold Medalist (1988)

Jack Adams Award (2012)

Jack Adams voting - 1st(2012), 2nd(1997), 3rd(1998), 3rd(1999), 4th(2000), 4th(2009), 6th(2016), 7th(2001), 7th(2014)

b358d04804.jpg

Dallas Years
Team Points - 1st(1998), 1st(1999), 2nd(1997), 5th(2000), 5th(2001), 9th(2018)

Offense - 3rd(1998), 7th(1997), 8th(1999), 10th(2001), 18th(2018), 19th21st(2000)
Defense - 1st(1999), 2nd(1998), 2nd(2001), 3rd(1997), 3rd(2000), 4th(2018)

Power Play - 1st(1998), 6th(1999), 6th(2001), 18th(1997), 19th(2000), 20th(2018)
Penalty Kill - 1st(2000), 2nd(1998), 4th(2018), 4th(2001), 6th(1999), 14th(1997)

Special Teams - 108.0(1998), 105.8(2001), 105.3(1999), 105.0(2000), 103.0(2018), 98.0(1997)

Philadelphia Years
Team Points - 5th(2003), 7th(2004), 8th(2006)

Offense - 8th(2004), 8th(2006), 17th(2003)
Defense - 1st(2003), 6th(2004), 17th(2006)

Power Play - 2nd(2004), 16th(2006), 21st(2003)
Penalty Kill - 9th(2003), 21st(2004), 27th(2006)

Special Teams - 104.0(2004), 99.5(2003), 97.1

Columbus Years
Team Points - 15th(2009), 24th(2007), 25th(2008)

Offense - 21(2009), 28th(2007) 29th(2008)
Defense - 8th(2008), 9th(2009), 16th(2007)

Power Play - 26th(2007), 26th(2008), 30th(2009)
Penalty Kill - 9th(2008), 13th(2009), 21st(2007)

Special Teams - 98.2(2008), 96.0(2007), 94.8(2009)

St. Louis Years
Team Points - 2nd(2012), 3rd(2015), 3rd(2016), 4th(2014), 6th(2013)

Offense - 5th(2015), 6th(2014), 15th(2016), 17th(2013), 21st(2012)
Defense - 1st(2012), 3rd(2014), 4th(2015), 4th(2016), 6th(2013)

Power Play - 4th(2015), 5th(2014), 6th(2016), 12th(2013), 18th(2012)
Penalty Kill - 2nd(2014), 3rd(2016), 7th(2012), 7th(2013), 7th(2015)

Special Teams - 106.6(2016), 106.0(2015), 105.5(2014), 104.2(2013), 102.5(2012)

Last edited:

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Found a bunch of great old time comparison stuff in the Morenz bio I read. I can email to you if you want to read it. Old players giving their all-time lists basically. Taylor, Conacher, Patrick, etc.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Turk Broda, G
broda_turk3.jpg

Stanley Cup Champion: 1942, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1951
Retro Conn Smythe: 1949
Hart Voting: 4, 6
1st AS Team: 2 times (1941, 1948)
2nd AS Team: 1 time (1942)

All Star Team Voting Breakdown
1939: 5th – Vezina Winner: Brimsek (1st - 4th AS: Brimsek, Robertson, Kerr, Thompson)
1940: No AS votes
1941: 1st – Vezina Winner: Broda (2nd AS: Brimsek)
1942: 2nd – Vezina Winner: Brimsek (1st AS: Brimsek, 3rd AS: Rayner)
1943: 3rd - Vezina Winner: Mowers (1st AS: Mowers, 2nd AS: Brimsek)
Did Not Play Due to WWII 1944, 1945, most of 1946 (only 15 GP)
1947: 3rd – Vezina Winner: Durnan (1st AS: Durnan, 2nd AS: Brimsek, 4th AS: Rayner)*
1948: 1st – Vezina Winner: Broda (2nd AS: Brimsek)
1949: 3rd – Vezina Winner: Durnan (1st AS: Durnan, 2nd AS: Rayner)
1950: 3rd – Vezina Winner Durnan (1st AS: Durnan, 2nd AS: Rayner)
*Finished ahead of both Durnan and Brimsek in Hart Voting

All Star Summary

1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd

Broda was no worse than a top-3 goalie in the league for a decade (7 seasons in a row excluding 3 seasons lost to WWII right in the middle of that stretch). During this time Broda also won 4 of his 5 Stanley Cups, the 5th coming a year later when at age 36 Broda split time in the regular season with Al Rollins, but played in 8 of 11 playoff games.

BM67 said:
The all-star voting from 46-47 to 49-50 was done by the 6 NHL coaches. As no coach could vote for one of his players, a player could only receive up to 5 votes. During this span Broda received 6 1st place votes, and 15 of a possible 20 votes.

Coming Back After WWII

NHL.com – 100 Greatest Players said:
By the time Broda returned from the Army in 1946, new NHL rules had changed the game. Installing the red line permitted forward passes into the neutral zone, opened up the ice and speeded up play. Some returning veterans couldn't make the transition, and things got especially tough for goalies as defenses backed off from the neutral zone, resulting in more crowds in front of the net. Broda's solution was to move higher in the crease to see the puck around the traffic. He played as if he had never been gone. After their first non-playoff season since 1930, Smythe rebuilt the Leafs as a younger squad in 1946-47 and at 32, Broda was now a team elder. Few expected much from the club but Smythe said, "If Turk stands up, we may surprise a lot of people." They did surprise, with a second-place finish.

Playoffs

Greatest Hockey Legends – Joe Pelletier said:
Regarded as perhaps the best clutch goaltender of all time,

In 1941-42 he followed that up with his first Stanley Cup. It wasn’t a likely Cup victory either. Down three games to none and on the verge of defeat in the finals against Detroit, the Leafs, thanks in large part to the great goaltending of Broda, stormed back and unthinkably won 4 straight games to capture the championship!

Broda’s second tour of duty with the Leafs proved to be more successful than the first. The Leafs emerged as one of the greatest teams of all time. Broda would be the puck stopper in each of the Leafs Stanley Cup wins in 1947, 1948, 1949 and 1951. He was very good during those regular seasons, but come playoff time he somehow was able to take his game to a new level – he led the entire league in wins and shutouts in each of those Stanley Cup years, and in goals against average in 3 of the 4.

In addition, Broda retired with the all-time record for playoff victories with 60, which stood until 1968, and he had a remarkable lifetime playoff goals-against average of 1.98. He also held the all-time playoff record for shutouts (13) for nearly two decades as well as the all-time mark for Stanley Cup games played in goal (101) until 1968.

Early in his NHL career, rising to the heights meant four consecutive playoff runs, three of them to the Stanley Cup Final, from 1938-41, in which his goals-against averages were 1.73, 1.94, 1.74 and 2.05. Each time, Toronto fell short, but Broda could not be faulted. He was a primary reason the Leafs were even contenders.

No one griped when the postseason arrived and Broda turned it on.
"The key to Broda's great success as a playoff goalie was his unflappable disposition," Hunt wrote. "On the afternoon of a Stanley Cup Final, his teammates would be pacing the floor and chain smoking cigarettes in an effort to calm their nerves. Meanwhile, Broda would be in his hotel room sleeping. Once, as Conn Smythe delivered an impassioned plea to his team just before they took the ice for an important game, he looked over and saw Broda sitting on a stool in front of his locker sound asleep."
How did Broda explain his clutch performances? He usually answered playfully. "Maybe I was just too dumb to know the situation was serious," he'd say. Or, "I always needed the money."

Things looked dim again in 1942 when the Leafs fell behind 3-0. With no margin for error, he would limit Detroit to seven goals in the last four games, including a 3-0 win in Game 6, and a 3-1 victory in Game 7. At the team's Stanley Cup victory party, Maple Leafs captain Syl Apps announced, "Before each game, we'd skate up to Turk and tell him, 'Get your teeth in the puck.' He must have strong teeth because after each game, those pucks had plenty of teeth marks

(1947 Playoffs) Toronto's playoff prospects took a hit early in the first round after the Red Wings lit up Broda for nine goals in Game 2, tying the series. Then Broda got going, limiting Detroit to one goal in each of the next three games to advance to the Stanley Cup Final. After Montreal scored six goals in Game 1, Broda surrendered seven goals in the next five games, including a bounce-back Game 2 shutout, as the Leafs skated away with the Stanley Cup."

Broda's playoff performance in 1951 proved to be his last hurrah. Sharing goaltending duties with Al Rollins, the 36-year-old Broda played in eight playoff games, although only in the first two in the Final. Still, he surrendered nine goals, for a 1.10 GAA.
"I couldn't beat him," Maurice Richard said. "Toe Blake couldn't. None of the Canadiens could."
It was Broda's fourth Stanley Cup victory in five years.

"He always did play real well in the playoffs," recalled former Bruins center Milt Schmidt. "He was one of the best money players ever."

TheDevilMadeMe said:
Broda was given a lot of credit for Toronto's third straight Cup victory in 1949:
The Maple Leafs were kings of the hockey world on Monday and goalie Walter (Turk) Broda wore the biggest crown.
The victory gave Toronto three modern NHL records: Three straight Stanley Cup titles, a four-game sweep of the final playoff round two years in a row, and a grand total of six Cup triumphs.

At the end, the Leafs, and 14,544 happy home fans combined to cheer Broda, the sage in the game who took the wind out of Detroit's sails. The 34-year old Toronto goalie limited the regular season NHL champions to an average of less than 2 goals per contest in the four playoff games.
Maple Leafs Rule Hockey, The Telegraph-Herald, Apr 18, 1949

Toronto ended up winning the 1951 Cup (their 4th in 5 years) with Broda playing the majority of the games. Broda was given a lot of credit by the home crowd for the win:
The crowd shouted for veteran Turk Broda, the greatest playoff goalie of them all, who played two games against the Canadiens (in the finals), and all but one period of the six-game semifinal against the Boston Bruins because of an injury to Al Rollins. But Broda was too shy and fought off teammates who tried to drag him to the microphone
Toronto Wins Stanley Cup Fourth Time in Five Years - Primeau Completes Grand Slam, Richard Individual Playoff Star, The Calgary Herald, Apr 23, 1951

BM67 said:
His play in the 1950 loss vs Detroit should be singled out for attention. He had 3 shutouts, and lost a 4th in OT of game 7. He also lost a game in 2OT. His overall GAA was 1.33, but only 0.96 on the road. One can't be 100% sure if game shot/save totals include the goals or not, with different terms being used from game to game, but likely SV% is .946

Rob Scuderi (hf poster) said:
I questioned how valuable Broda was considering his team's defense and coach, but as early as 1938 he seems to have been proving himself in the playoffs. Grant the second round against Chicago got ugly, but I really feel like I bought a little too much into the "system" arguments.

1938 Semi-Finals: 1 seed vs 1 seed - (BOS better regular season record)
G1: 1-0(2OT)
G2: 2-1, *Leafs claim Broda is robbed of second shutout
G3: 3-2(OT)

Game 2 Summary:Sands given credit for GTG in 3rd period; Davidson, Fowler, Horner all claim goal never crosses the line
Art Ross: "We out played them all the way, but they beat us because Broda played a swell game and had lots of luck."

Tiny Thompson after the series:
"It was a great series and Turk Broda played a big part. He really was sensational." We remarked that Eddie Shore was playing forward part of the time to which "Tiny" replied that the Bruins were all forwards during that series.

"Just leaving you back there all alone for them to break through and snipe at?" it was suggested. That was the style of play the Bruins had decided on, he said. Their object was to get the first goal and then tighten right up on the defence. But the Bruins were unable to get that first goal and so lost the series.

Shore's Thoughts:
Questioned about the upset that saw Leafs eliminate Bruins for the league championship, the Boston defender gave all the credit to Turk Broda. "He played sensational goal, but he also had more than the usual run of luck," he said. "We outplayed them all the way, but scores still decide a game."

General Info
TheDevilMadeMe said:
A couple of articles from late in Turk Broda's career.
A preview of the 1949-50 season talks about how Broda is the oldest player in the NHL, but still key to the Leafs remaining on top:
Toronto Maple Leafs head into the new National Hockey League season with virtually the same hustling, bashing squad that trampled all opponents in the Stanley Cup playoffs last spring.

(article then talks about how other clubs may have improved while the Leafs remained the same)

Smythe says there's no worry for the Leafs in the question mark some see in the squad. It lies in the aging eyes and limbs of goaltender Walter (Turk) Broda.

At 35, the Turk is the oldest player in the NHL. But in training camp, he looks as agile as ever.

(Article then talks about the defensemen and forwards on the team)
Leafs Rely on Broda - Old Man River!, Leader Post, Oct 4, 1949

Leafs slumped early in 1949-50 and Broda was ordered to lose 7 pounds and threatened to be sent to the minors:
Mayer, Miguay called up by slumping Leafs - Young Goalie To Replace Broda Who Is Told To Lose Some Weight, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Nov 30, 1949

By 1950-51, Broda (still the oldest player in the NHL) was splitting time with "star rookie" Al Rollins. Heading into the playoffs, Rollins appeared to have taken the #1 job, but an injury to Rollins opened the door to Broda playing the majority of the playoffs:
Rollins May Play in NHL Playoffs - Star Rookie Goalie Surprises in Recovery from Knee Injury, The Calgary Herald, Apr 6, 1951

TheDevilMadeMe said:
Durability. From Broda's 2nd NHL season in 1937-38 at the age of 23, until 1949-50 at the age of 35, Broda only missed 3 total games that weren't related to the World War 2! And 2 of those were in 1949-50 when he was apparently being punished for being overweight.

Greatest Hockey Legends – Joe Pelletier said:
Regarded as perhaps the best clutch goaltender of all time, Walter "Turk" Broda was "Mr. Maple Leaf" for 16 seasons, with two years lost to Canadian armed forces duty in World War II.

Broda’s rise to the top was completely unexpected. He was a pudgy fellow and a poor skater, yet he contained an incredible enthusiasm for playing hockey. As a boy he was always stuck in net because of his poor skating. Although he wasn’t overly refined, he stuck with the game admirably.

Broda played his early hockey back home in Manitoba for the Brandon Athletics and Brandon Native Sons. He even got the Native Sons to the Abbott Cup final but lost to the Regina Pats. After stints with Winnipeg Monarchs, St. Michael Majors (he was the practice goalie when they won the Memorial Cup in 1934) and Detroit Farm Crest, he was given a shot at the NHL by the Detroit Red Wings. Turk had introduced himself to the Red Wings during an exhibition tour which brought the NHL stars to Winnipeg. A naïve but determined Broda only wanted to meet some of his NHL heroes. In addition he was given a training camp try out offer.

With John Ross Roach and Normie Smith already in Detroit at the time, there was no chance Broda would start in the NHL, so he started his pro career in the International Hockey League with the champion Detroit Olympics in 1934. Broda was an immediate hit in the IAHL and led the league in both wins and goals against average, both in the regular season and in the playoffs.

Suddenly the pudgy goalie from Winnipeg was one of the most sought after commodities in the game. He was ultimately sold to the Maple Leafs in 1936 for the then steep price of $8000! It was money well spent by the Leafs, as he became the first, and arguably the greatest Toronto Maple Leaf puck stopper of all time.

Broda quickly proved he belonged in the NHL, but by the beginning of the 1940s he was emerging as the league’s best. He led all goaltenders with 28 wins in 48 games in 1940-41 – the same year he captured his first Vezina trophy. In 1941-42 he followed that up with his first Stanley Cup. It wasn’t a likely Cup victory either. Down three games to none and on the verge of defeat in the finals against Detroit, the Leafs, thanks in large part to the great goaltending of Broda, stormed back and unthinkably won 4 straight games to capture the championship!

Broda’s reign as the top goalie in the league was put on hold in 1943 when he spent 2 and ½ years in the military during World War II. He would return late in the 1945-46 season.

Broda’s second tour of duty with the Leafs proved to be more successful than the first. The Leafs emerged as one of the greatest teams of all time. Broda would be the puck stopper in each of the Leafs Stanley Cup wins in 1947, 1948, 1949 and 1951. He was very good during those regular seasons, but come playoff time he somehow was able to take his game to a new level – he led the entire league in wins and shutouts in each of those Stanley Cup years, and in goals against average in 3 of the 4.

Broda's own explanation for his playoff success was simple.

"The bonus money for winning wasn't much but I always needed it," he said. "Or maybe I was just too dumb to know the situation was serious."

In that comment you can see Broda lived up to the standards of the stereotypical goaltender – a touch on the crazy side. Mind you goalies back then stopped fast flying rubber bullets with his maskless face for a living, so his craziness can be somewhat understood.

One of the most famous and publicized incidents in Turk's career was his constant "Battle of the Bulge." The often witty though short-tempered Turk had the Toronto media press' attention as he and Leaf boss Conn Smythe constantly battled over Turk's playing weight.

Smythe once ordered Turk to cut his grocery intake enough to lose some weight. He wanted Broda to play at 190lbs, down from 197. Smythe then brought up minor leaguer Gilles Mayer and brought Al Rollins from Cleveland Barons (AHL). The Toronto press had a field day and called the goaltending trio "The Long" (Al Rollins 6'2"), "The Short" (Gilles Mayer 5'6") and "The Fat" (Turk Broda).

The whole event turned into fantastic publicity stunt, with Broda leading the way. The press knew all about his diet of grapefruit and soft boiled eggs. And of course the press was there when Turk tipped the scales at 190lbs before game day. It was front page news!

Smythe, of course, was delighted with the result. One legend has that Smythe offered him a special reward.

"There's no greater sportsman than the Turkey," Smythe crowed. "If the Rangers score on him tonight, I'll go out and get him a malted milk, just to show that I'm not trying to starve him to death."

Final score: Toronto 2 - New York Rangers 0
Broda's career statistics are amazing: over 300 wins, (in an era when seasons were only 48-60 games long) 62 shutouts, and a lifetime GAA of 2.53. He won or shared 3 Vezina trophies back when the award was given to the goalie with the fewest goals against – a truly amazing accomplishment considering the Leafs of the 1940s were known more for their offensive production than for their defensive awareness.

It was in the playoffs where Turk's star shone the brightest. With 5 Stanley Cup rings, he is without doubt one of if not the greatest money goalies of all time. With 13 more playoff shutouts and GAA under 2.00, Turk Broda was simply a phenomenal post-season puck stopper, which was necessary for the Leafs dynastic teams of the 1940s.

Turk retired in 1952 as he approached the age of 38. He became a junior coach and led the Toronto Marlboros to back to back Memorial Cup championships in 1955-56. He would be welcomed into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1967, but passed away just 7 years later at the early age of 58.

Legends of Hockey – Spotlight said:
In 1943, Broda joined the army and went off to England for two years, primarily to play hockey. When he was discharged in 1945, he went straight to the Gardens and resumed practising with the team. He was back in goal, and there he stayed for four more Stanley Cup Finals, three in a row from 1947 to 1949 and one more in 1951 in which all five games went into overtime against Montreal. "I couldn't beat him. Toe Blake couldn't. None of the Canadiens could," Maurice Richard said after that series. Broda played the entire season in goal in eight of his 11 seasons, and part of two others, leading the league in shutouts twice

In practice, Broda was also famous. When the players had to skate laps around the ice, coach Day would skate directly behind Broda, who was in full equipment, hollering at him to keep up and join the race. When in goal, Broda would face wave after wave of shots, then Day would take the goalie's stick away and force him to stop another series of pucks using only his arms and legs.

"In the net," one hockey writer observed about Turk Broda, "he looks like a harmless, jolly tub of lard, but the Leaf goalie dives for the puck like an angry cat." Walter "Turk" Broda was even better than an angry cat. He was money. When the Toronto Maple Leafs of the 1930s and 1940s needed to win a big game, Broda was at his best.
"The Turk was inclined to loaf during the regular season, especially against weak clubs, and let in too many soft goals," Toronto columnist Jim Hunt wrote in his 1967 book "The Men in the Nets." "But once the playoff money beckoned, no goalie in hockey was tougher to score on."
Hunt's critique of Broda's regular-season play might have been a bit severe. In his 14-season NHL career, Broda won 302 games - the most in NHL history when he retired in 1952 - at a time when the schedule was between 48 and 60 games. Broda had 62 shutouts and a lifetime goals-against average of 2.53. He won the Vezina Trophy twice for fewest goals allowed, was a First Team All-Star twice and made the second team once.
But no one can argue with Broda's postseason prowess. His name was stamped on the Stanley Cup five times, including three consecutive years, the first time an NHL team accomplished that feat. And he was the guy in goal when the Maple Leafs staged their historic 1942 comeback to win the Cup, beating the Detroit Red Wings in seven games after trailing in the series 3-0.
In addition, Broda retired with the all-time record for playoff victories with 60, which stood until 1968, and he had a remarkable lifetime playoff goals-against average of 1.98. He also held the all-time playoff record for shutouts (13) for nearly two decades as well as the all-time mark for Stanley Cup games played in goal (101) until 1968.
But Broda was no Superman. He was more of an everyman. Only 5-foot-9 and of variable weight - usually overweight - Broda smiled often, parted his hair down the middle over his broad, cheery face and eschewed the position's more technical aspects in favor of reflexes and pure determination. He said he was "just a guy who likes to play hockey."
And hockey fans everywhere liked Broda. He was so wildly popular that when the Montreal Canadiens arranged a 1947 postseason goodwill tour to promote their team in Western Canada through a series of games against a select group of NHL stars, it was Broda, not Canadiens stars such as Maurice Richard, Toe Blake or Elmer Lach, who was mobbed at each locale, upstaging his hosts.
"Broda's stylish play and cheerful, friendly personality charmed fans at every stopping place in British Columbia," a Vancouver paper reported.
His Toronto teammates, who often played wide-open hockey and left him vulnerable, loved him as well. "He never blamed the forwards or defensemen when he gave up a goal," teammate Harry Watson told authors Kevin Allen and Bob Duff in their book, "Without Fear." "It was always his fault."
Watson once accidentally shot the puck past Broda and Turk told him, "Don't worry about it, Harry. I should have stopped that shot."
The media loved him, too, in part because unlike many other goaltenders, Broda was always good for a quote and loved to mug for the camera. He joked often, even when discussing his profession.
"I wish they'd stop complimenting me," he once said about his press clippings. "It makes me nervous. Every time I read those nice things about me, I get a nasty hunch that Conn Smythe's getting ready to sell me to (last place) Chicago. I don't carry enough life insurance to play for Chicago. I'll have to go out and play a bad game."
Those same character traits were Broda's secret weapon on the ice.
"Turk's happy-go-lucky nature fooled some people, but was an asset," wrote Smythe, the Maple Leafs owner and manager, in his autobiography. "When he got beaten 9-0 or something, to him it was just another game. It was over. The next night it was Turk Broda against the other team again. He knew he could play goal and rise to the heights, and the past never worried him, not like some guys who have a bad night and then go all to pieces."
Early in his NHL career, rising to the heights meant four consecutive playoff runs, three of them to the Stanley Cup Final, from 1938-41, in which his goals-against averages were 1.73, 1.94, 1.74 and 2.05. Each time, Toronto fell short, but Broda could not be faulted. He was a primary reason the Leafs were even contenders.
Things looked dim again in 1942 when the Leafs fell behind 3-0. With no margin for error, he would limit Detroit to seven goals in the last four games, including a 3-0 win in Game 6, and a 3-1 victory in Game 7. At the team's Stanley Cup victory party, Maple Leafs captain Syl Apps announced, "Before each game, we'd skate up to Turk and tell him, 'Get your teeth in the puck.' He must have strong teeth because after each game, those pucks had plenty of teeth marks."
Born in Brandon, Manitoba, on May 15, 1914, Broda's was originally nicknamed "Turkey Egg" in grade school when his freckled face reminded classmates of a turkey's egg. That shortened over time to "Turk." His Leaf teammates, however, called him "Old Slippery," which eventually morphed into "Slip."
His unlikely path to the NHL was a testament to his determination and resilience. Broda dreamed of a hockey career as a defenseman, but he skated poorly. When his school principal formed a team, Broda was bypassed until the principal remembered he hadn't selected a goalie. The portly youngster happily agreed to give it a try and his principal taught Broda goaltending by firing pucks at him from all angles each afternoon in the school basement.
Winding his way through the youth ranks in Brandon, he steadily improved, the high point coming when he helped the junior Brandon Native Sons to the 1933 Memorial Cup Western Canada Final as an emergency replacement. A Detroit scout spotted him the next year playing junior in Winnipeg and recommended him to the Red Wings. GM Jack Adams invited him to training camp, where Broda's good humor made him a popular figure. The organization was stacked with veteran goalies, but Adams decided to keep him around as the Wings practice goalie to help team morale, and he largely spent the 1934-35 season in Detroit as a 'target.'
However, stopping NHL shooters daily sharpened Broda's skills to a surprising degree and the following season, Adams inked the 21-year-old Broda to his first pro contract, assigning him to the Red Wings top farm club, the Detroit Olympics. With the Olympics, he first stunned the Red Wings in the preseason three-game exhibition City Series, winning two and tying one, and then posted the International Hockey League's best goals-against average and most wins, leading them to the IHL championship.
Meanwhile, knowing Toronto was seeking a young replacement for the aging George Hainsworth, Adams brought Smythe to a game between the Olympics and the Windsor Bulldogs to sell Smythe on Windsor goalie Earl Robertson, another Detroit farmhand. The game went poorly for Robertson and Smythe told Adams, "I like the fat kid better." He purchased Broda in May 1936 for $7,500.
From early in the 1936-37 season until entering the Army in the summer of 1943, Broda was a constant presence in the Maple Leafs net, missing only one game. As popular as he would eventually become, his early inconsistency - especially on long shots - made him a target of boos from the Toronto crowd. "I'm satisfied as long as management and the fans don't expect me to be the shutout king of the NHL," he would say.
"When a soft goal slipped by him, the most annoyed person in the rink was Mr. Broda," author Ed Fitkin wrote in a 1950 biography on Broda. "He got absolutely furious at himself and, sizzling mentally, he soon was sizzling physically. The opposition usually suffered. They couldn't have gotten the puck past Turk with a machine gun."
No one griped when the postseason arrived and Broda turned it on.
"The key to Broda's great success as a playoff goalie was his unflappable disposition," Hunt wrote. "On the afternoon of a Stanley Cup Final, his teammates would be pacing the floor and chain smoking cigarettes in an effort to calm their nerves. Meanwhile, Broda would be in his hotel room sleeping. Once, as Conn Smythe delivered an impassioned plea to his team just before they took the ice for an important game, he looked over and saw Broda sitting on a stool in front of his locker sound asleep."
How did Broda explain his clutch performances? He usually answered playfully. "Maybe I was just too dumb to know the situation was serious," he'd say. Or, "I always needed the money."

By the time Broda returned from the Army in 1946, new NHL rules had changed the game. Installing the red line permitted forward passes into the neutral zone, opened up the ice and speeded up play. Some returning veterans couldn't make the transition, and things got especially tough for goalies as defenses backed off from the neutral zone, resulting in more crowds in front of the net. Broda's solution was to move higher in the crease to see the puck around the traffic. He played as if he had never been gone. After their first non-playoff season since 1930, Smythe rebuilt the Leafs as a younger squad in 1946-47 and at 32, Broda was now a team elder. Few expected much from the club but Smythe said, "If Turk stands up, we may surprise a lot of people." They did surprise, with a second-place finish.
Toronto's playoff prospects took a hit early in the first round after the Red Wings lit up Broda for nine goals in Game 2, tying the series. Then Broda got going, limiting Detroit to one goal in each of the next three games to advance to the Stanley Cup Final. After Montreal scored six goals in Game 1, Broda surrendered seven goals in the next five games, including a bounce-back Game 2 shutout, as the Leafs skated away with the Stanley Cup."
The following season, Toronto finished first in the regular season, and Broda won the Vezina Trophy and was named a First Team All-Star, his second of each honor. His 2.38 goals-against average topped the NHL. The powerful Leafs then defeated the Boston Bruins in five games and swept the Red Wings for their second straight Cup. Broda's nine-game playoff goals-against average was 2.15, his lowest since 1941.
After two straight Cups, Broda's and Toronto's regular-season showing dipped in 1948-49. Finishing below .500, the Leafs placed fourth and Broda had a 2.68 goals-against average. But once the playoffs began, Broda's shutout of the Bruins in Game 1 of the semifinals set the tone. "Old Slippery" returned to form with a 1.57 GAA in the playoffs as the Bruins and Red Wings fell in a combined nine games.
Broda was part of one of hockey's most legendary postseasons in 1951 when all five games of the Stanley Cup Finals against the Canadiens went to overtime.
Broda's playoff performance in 1951 proved to be his last hurrah. Sharing goaltending duties with Al Rollins, the 36-year-old Broda played in eight playoff games, although only in the first two in the Final. Still, he surrendered nine goals, for a 1.10 GAA.
"I couldn't beat him," Maurice Richard said. "Toe Blake couldn't. None of the Canadiens could."
It was Broda's fourth Stanley Cup victory in five years.
He would appear in only three more games during 1951-52, playing part of one regular-season game, before retiring. A Turk Broda Night followed at Maple Leaf Gardens, as did a testimonial dinner where Smythe promised him one more playoff game, to bring his total to 100. So that spring, Broda faced the powerful Red Wings, the eventual champions, in Game 2 of the semifinals and surrendered one goal in a 1-0 loss.
Hoping Broda might inspire the Leafs again, coach Joe Primeau turned to him for Game 3 at home, but in losing 6-2 he looked all of 37 compared to the acrobatics of 22-year-old Red Wings goalie Terry Sawchuk. It was a symbolic passing of the torch to a great new generation of goaltenders.
"He always did play real well in the playoffs," recalled former Bruins center Milt Schmidt. "He was one of the best money players ever."

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad