ATD 2011 Draft Thread VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Domakc has 4 hours. Then the velocity are auto skipped. I have the lists for the next three teams starting with Gwinnett and forwarded them onto bugg. So someone PM Bugg if Domakc misses his clock.

I'm going to sleep, can anyone else take these lists who will be around?

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Was unsure if our pick got made but then I saw it.

As was said before we select Charley Mcveigh, Left Wing

75678.jpg

-Reputation as a consistent forward
-Often regarded as the best player on the New York Americans
-84 Goals and 88 Assists in 397 Games

More on Mcveigh can be found here:

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=13690

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
The Fireworks are very pleased to select their 2nd unit PP QB Defenseman Mathieu Schneider

Norris voting:
7th 02-03 (6th in points)
6th 05-06 (7th in points)

Pts among D: 6, 7, 9, 9, 12, 14, 16, 17, 18, 20

Rick Middleton

May 14, 2002
Ottawa, ON
Gwinnett is proud to select

Brian Rolston, F

• 1991–92: National Championship All-Tournament (NCAA)
  • 1992–93: First All-Star Team (CCHA)
  • 1994–95: Winner of NHL Stanley Cup with New Jersey Devils
  • 1995–96: Winner of International World Cup of Hockey
  • 1992–93: West Second All-American Team (NCAA)
  • 1992–93: Winner of Tampere Cup
  • 2001–02: Silver Medal in 2002 XIX Olympic Winter Games
  • 2006–07: Played in NHL All-Star Game

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Thanks for making the pick, Hedberg.

Bill Goldsworthy, RW

Position: Right Wing
HT/WT: 6'1", 190 lbs
Shoots: Right
Nickname: "Goldie”

BillGoldsworthy1.jpg

- Member of the Canadian 1972 Summit Series Team.
- 283 goals, 541 regular season points in 771 games played.
- 18 goals, 37 playoff points in 40 games played.
- 5th in NHL Goal-Scoring (1974)

Legends of Hockey said:
Right-winger Bill Goldsworthy was a clever goal scorer who played nearly 800 NHL games in the 1960s and '70s. He was best known for his fine work with the Minnesota North Stars and the "Goldy Shuffle" after each goal.

Legends of Hockey said:
The crafty winger was a decent addition to his new club in its first two NHL seasons. In 1969-70, he broke through as a bona fide NHL sniper with 36 goals. The next season, his speed and offensive thrusts helped the North Stars give the Montreal Canadiens a tough battle in the semi-finals. A few months later, he represented Canada in the historic Summit Series versus the USSR. During his time in Minnesota, Goldsworthy scored at least 30 goals five times including a career high 48 in 1973-74.

Greatest Hockey Legends said:
Bill was a hard shooting winger developed in the Boston Bruins junior and minor league system. He played with the Bruins OHA junior team in Niagara Falls and helped the Falls Flyers win the 1965 Memorial Cup.

Goldsworthy was the beneficiary of expansion when the NHL grew from 6 to 12 teams. 6 new teams meant approximately 120 news jobs in the NHL, and Goldy wanted to be one of those 120. That process began on June 6, 1967, when the Minnesota North Stars chose him in the expansion draft.

Of all the players, chosen in the expansion draft, it was Goldy who may have had the best career. In Minnesota he developed into a fine goal scorer and became the North Stars first star attraction.

After a modest 14 goal, 33 point season in 68 games, Goldy exploded in the playoffs. In 14 games in the 1968 post season, Goldy led the entire National Hockey League in goals (8) and points (15).

He also popularized the "Goldy Shuffle." The Shuffle is a now common routine for celebrating a goal, but it was Goldsworthy who really started it. Bill would lift one leg, and pump the opposite arm in celebration of goals.

While Bill was more of a shooter than a playmaker, he was not a one-trick pony. He could play at both ends of the ice and was known as a solid team player. These all around qualities helped him to be selected on Team Canada's Summit Series roster that defeated the Russians in 1972. Goldy appeared in 3 of the 8 games, scoring 1 goal and 1 assist.

Bill was a very talented player who benefited from lots of playing time with the expansion North Stars. While he never got a chance to play in Boston, one would have to wonder how good Goldy would have been with a team that possessed a more talented supporting cast.

Chidlovski said:
Bill Goldsworthy was able to show his scoring touch after the NHL expansion in 1967. Most of his career was associated with the North Stars team. In his years in Minnesota, he was recognized for his impressive shooting skills and established himself as a passionate forward and a team player able to perform a solid 2-way play at both ends of the ice.

PERFORMANCE IN THE 1972 SUMMIT
Bill Goldsworthy played in three games of the 1972 Series earning one goal and one assist in Game 4 in Vancouver. However, his two minor penalties were also costly for Team Canada when both of them resulted in the Soviet team power play goals.
3 GP, 1 G, 1 A, 2 PTS, 4 PIM, 3 SOG, 6 SAG, +/- EVEN

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
Great pick with Goldsworthy, I had him targeted for my 4th line.

Some interesting information, you guys can take this as you wish. I pm'd an ATD vetran "Pappyline" who was a hockey fan back in the 50's and 60's and watched some of these guys first hand:

Regaring Ed Litzenberger:

Litz was my favorite player so I watched his career quite closely. In his offensive hey day with Chicago, he was one of the best players in the league. Made an AS team at centre although he mainly played RW where his competition was howe, richard,bathgate,geoffrion.

He was a good stick handler with deceptive speed and could deke with the best of them. one of the hardest slapshots in the league & he played the point on the power play. Had a serious car accident in 60 & was seriously injured. Never quite the same after that though he did have flashes of brillance. Centred Howe & delvecchio in 61-62 and was up with the scoring leaders for a while but Fell out of favor with jack Adams & was waived to Toronto. Was more of a utility player with Toronto. In 62 playoffs played a very effective defensive role as LW on a line with Pulford.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
To be honest, Im starting to wonder what seperates Schneider and Rafalski so much?

Schneider was known as a locker room cancer, my dad is a good friend of Mike Murphy's brother. He was saying when Schneider played for the Leafs under Murphy, all he wanted to do was go to strip clubs after the games and was supposedly very hard to get along with. On the ice, I think that Rafalski was also a little more consistent. Schneider was also somewhat prone to injury, although he is renown for his great one-dimensional ability as a defenseman, definitely the type of guy you want on your power play.

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
Schneider was known as a locker room cancer, my dad is a good friend of Mike Murphy's brother. He was saying when Schneider played for the Leafs under Murphy, all he wanted to do was go to strip clubs after the games and was supposedly very hard to get along with. On the ice, I think that Rafalski was also a little more consistent. Schneider was also somewhat prone to injury, although he is renown for his great one-dimensional ability as a defenseman, definitely the type of guy you want on your power play.

Agreed, but does the slight differences really warrant a 384 pick gap?

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Inglewood selects a player who has been undeniably one of the premiere shut-down defenders of his era. A player who thrives playing one-on-one against the opposition's top scoring threats, and has the proven ability to play a relentlessly physical game without spending much time in the box. It's no surprise then that he had the distinction of being selected for Team Canada not once but twice in major international competition, a very impressive feat for a defensive defeseman. He's big, physical, dominant defensively, a monster on the PK, makes a nice outlet pass, and skates quite well for a big man. In short, he's the perfect #6 in the ATD. The man, the myth, the bald spot:

Robyn Regehr

2vmcy28.jpg

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Was unsure if our pick got made but then I saw it.

As was said before we select Charley Mcveigh, Left Wing

75678.jpg

-Reputation as a consistent forward
-Often regarded as the best player on the New York Americans
-84 Goals and 88 Assists in 397 Games

More on Mcveigh can be found here:

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=13690
More on McVeigh can be found here, in the bio I made last year:

... the 1923 WCHL all-star, 1927 NHL retroSelke winning, fast and feisty left winger Charley "Rabbit" McVeigh. The tough little 5'6 superpest wasn't a scorer per se but was a scoring line role player, having played nine full NHL seasons mostly on one of the top lines after four years in the Western league, having four times scored double digits in NHL goals, his last six years double digits in assists.

rabbitt.jpg

from TIME magazine, March 10th, 1941:
A star forward, the scrappy little fellow made a name for himself as a rough-&-tumble player, who never minded how big they came.
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,790048,00.html

from the Montreal Gazette, Nov 30th 1931:
the pestiferous Rabbit McVeigh
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=rabbit+McVeigh+americans&start=10&sa=N

One of the smaller players in the league, he was known for his agility and speed which saw him play every position on the front line
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...eigh+kenora+thistles&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

Ottawa Citizen, Oct.16 1928, after being traded from the Blackhawks to NY:
"McVeigh is a colorful player and will be well liked by the fans"

rabbit.jpg

Here he ties up the game with 5 seconds remaining in a come from 0-4 behind 5-4 victory for the Chicago Blackhawks over the Montreal Maroons in 1927:
http://books.google.ca/books?id=COb...esnum=1&ved=0CAUQ6AEwADgU#v=onepage&q&f=false

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
MadArcand selects Peter Laviolette, coach

Certainly not my first pick at coach at this point, but if lindy ruff and don cherry are regular atd coaches, I don't see Peter being over his head. Definitely one of the best coaches in the league today, though I'd obviously prefer it if he had a longer track record.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
693. matsblue13 - Niagara City Blues - SKIPPED
694. seventieslord - Regina Pats - Reg Fleming, LW/D (traded to Inglewood)
695. Leaf Lander - Toronto Maple Leafs - Thomas Vanek, LW
696. Velociraptor - Cleveland Barons - Bill Goldsworthy, RW
697. tony d & DaveG - Garnish Phantoms - Charley "Rabbit" McVeigh, LW
698. markrander87 - Cincinnati Fireworks - Mathieu Schneider, D
699. DoMakc - Detroit Red Wings - Andy Moog, G
700. Thatguy17 & SaltyStyle7 - Vancouver Velocity - SKIPPED
701. Rick Middleton & Sturminator - Gwinnett Gladiators - Brian Rolston, LW
702. arrbez & vecens24 - Inglewood Jacks - Robyn Regehr, D
703. MadArcand - Hartford Whalers - Peter Laviolette, Coach
704. Mr Bugg - Kimberley Dynamiters - Joel Quenneville, Coach
705. Mr Bugg - Kimberley Dynamiters - Ryan Kesler, C
706. BraveCanadian - Guelph Platers - ON THE CLOCK UNTIL 5:47 PM ET