1966 Stanley Cup Champion
1968 Stanley Cup Champion
1969 Stanley Cup Champion
1969 2nd Team All-Star
1975 Stanley Cup Champion
Captain of the Minnesota North Stars 1970-1974
Captain of the Detroit Red Wings 1974

Legends of Hockey
In June 1963 he was traded to the Montreal Canadiens, for whom he played his first four NHL games and earned his first NHL point. He spent the balance of that season with the Cleveland Barons, where he again posted respectable numbers in both the point and penalty minute columns. In 1964-65, he was a full-time member of the Canadiens line-up. He earned fifteen regular season points and, more importantly, five playoff points as Montreal went on to win the Stanley Cup.

Harris played in Montreal until the end of the 1969-70 season, helping the Canadiens to earn another three Stanley Cup Championships. Minnesota claimed him from Montreal during the 1970 Intra-League Draft, and he played for the North Stars until 1974. Minnesota traded him to Detroit in November, and three months later he was traded again, this time to St. Louis in a multiple player deal. At the beginning of the 1973-74 season, he was sent to Philadelphia. That trade gave the Blues some cash, and gave Harris earned his fifth Stanley Cup, as a member of the championship Flyers. He retired at the end of the season with 788 regular season games and 100 playoff games to his credit.

Montreal Canadiens Legends:
ed Harris spent 8 seasons in the minor leagues before finally becoming an NHLer in 1964. Much of his time was spent with the AHL's Springfield Indians. The Indians were owned and managed by the legendary Eddie Shore. It was Shore who made Harris into an NHL backliner.

Harris was an imposing defenseman at 6'2" and 183lbs, and he liked to use his size. He accumulated over 100 PIMs in 5 of his 8 minor league seasons. His feistiness resembled Shore's, but Eddie showed Harris how to become a stalwart defensive blue liner through perfect positioning.

"He (Shore) taught me how to play the man and the puck. I figure he made me more versatile," said Harris of his mentor.

Harris would make the NHL to stay in 1964-65. He scored 1 goal and 14 assists in his first season while accumulating 107 PIMs. For Harris it was the first year of a 6 year stay in Montreal where through his physical play and defensive commitment he was part of 4 Stanley Cup Championships. Harris' excellent play was not overlooked either. He was named an NHL Second Team All Star in 1969.

Though he was generally a role player who was happy to be in the shadows of more talented teammates, once in a while Harris took the center stage spotlight, almost always in terms of a fight. He quickly established a reputation as one of the top rumblers in the league.

The defending Stanley Cup champion Philadelphia Flyers became interested in the services of the veteran Harris in 1974. They bought his contract from the Blues in the off season. Harris' experience and savvy would prove to be a big part of the Flyers repeat as Stanley Cup champs. For Harris it was his fifth Cup victory.

The Phoenix, April 17, 1969
Hockey fans look at Ted Harris, the burly defenceman with the Montreal Canadiens and say "look at him. He was born talented." Opposing NHL Players look at Ted Harris and gush respect for this rough and tumble and talented rearguard. But, five years ago people weren't so free in flinging compliments his way. That was when Harris was performing in the shadow of other Habs stars. Then, things started to swing for Harris. He developed confidence and painted his performances with skill and polish and toughness. He emerged from under a cloak of relative obscurity into a area of leadership and now is regarded as one of the Canadien's best defencemen. He certainly is their most consistent performer.

Last edited:

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
vecens picks Hyland, Harry, RW. I'm sure EB will like this pick. :P

PM'ing next.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Ted Harris was at the top of my list for defensemen. Not that I ever thought I'd get him when it should be obvious to anyone that I'll be picking forwards for at least three more picks, but yeah, I do maintain a "list" nonetheless.

Why so mean? I'm almost 100% positive I read somewhere that Recchi was a fitness machine.

St. Louis is also benefited by certain.. linemates.. but I see your point, and you're probably right.

I can't view the video right now, it's giving me an error, so I can't comment on it. I can't tell if BC is saying Recchi is a certified, Gary Roberts-level "fitness freak" or if he just works out. Because every player works out. Regardless, I can vouch for myself in that I haven't heard anything about Recchi similar to what I heard about guys like Brind'Amour or Roberts, like that you had to lock the gym to keep them out of it. Doesn't mean someone hasn't said it, but I don't remember reading it.

As for skating and fitness, they are linked. One reason you fall out of the league when you age, is that you are too slow to keep up. Your brain rarely gets any worse, in fact, it usually gets better. Your hands don't generally fall off the map either, it's your legs and their ability to get you where you need to go. Recchi is now a slow skater but he still does well nonetheless. Fitness could be a prime reason, but watching him, I don't blame fitness. (and I do watch him, every chance I get, because he's one of my favourites)

And I think St. Louis has always been more beneficial to his linemates than they are to him.

Dude.. what exactly did Modano bring when he stopped scoring? Please, tell me, because I don't know. Let's call the start of his decline the 03-04 season. He had one more solid season afterwards. Since that time, his ice time has continuously declined. He also stopped being a primary PK factor as well (was he EVER one? his PPGA stats tend to indicate that he wasn't ever really relied upon as a primary PK'er). So what did he bring that kept him around?

Those indications would be wrong. Keep in mind that the PPGA stats you're reviewing are for a very strong defensive team in the DPE, with good penalty killing. I know that when you click on a team, the columns for GF/GA are no longer there for individual comparison, so you're guessing here.

From 1996-2006, here's where Modano ranked on his team in SHTOI/GP among forwards:

3, 1, 4, 2, 2, 1, 1, 5, 3, 3

I'll take your word for it that he wasn't a major factor after that, because I don't have the information easily available in a spreadsheet and I'm at work.

To answer your other questions, Modano has continued to be a strong ES defensive player. I haven't seen nor heard of defensive cracks.

And what did he bring that kept him around after 2003? I dunno, how about the 77 points in 78 games in 2006?

Just to be clear, are you saying he didn't deserve an NHL job after 2003?

Well, I'm off to experience my first root canal... a week after I experienced my first tooth extraction (which wasn't that bad).

I wish I had a time machine - I'd go back and brush my teeth more as a kid. I'm sure paying for it now!

My list is with Wonder Boy.

If it was a puck to the face, then it really wasn't anything you did wrong, was it? I had one done too, and it wasn't from anything I did wrong. I take great care of my teeth.

Anyway, you barely feel a thing. It's more the mental picture you get of the drill going into your tooth, that is hard to take. And then the tooth is dead - forever. And you'll never feel it again.

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
Ted Harris was at the top of my list for defensemen. Not that I ever thought I'd get him when it should be obvious to anyone that I'll be picking forwards for at least three more picks, but yeah, I do maintain a "list" nonetheless.

I can't view the video right now, it's giving me an error, so I can't comment on it. I can't tell if BC is saying Recchi is a certified, Gary Roberts-level "fitness freak" or if he just works out. Because every player works out. Regardless, I can vouch for myself in that I haven't heard anything about Recchi similar to what I heard about guys like Brind'Amour or Roberts, like that you had to lock the gym to keep them out of it. Doesn't mean someone hasn't said it, but I don't remember reading it.

As for skating and fitness, they are linked. One reason you fall out of the league when you age, is that you are too slow to keep up. Your brain rarely gets any worse, in fact, it usually gets better. Your hands don't generally fall off the map either, it's your legs and their ability to get you where you need to go. Recchi is now a slow skater but he still does well nonetheless. Fitness could be a prime reason, but watching him, I don't blame fitness. (and I do watch him, every chance I get, because he's one of my favourites)

And I think St. Louis has always been more beneficial to his linemates than they are to him.

Those indications would be wrong. Keep in mind that the PPGA stats you're reviewing are for a very strong defensive team in the DPE, with good penalty killing. I know that when you click on a team, the columns for GF/GA are no longer there for individual comparison, so you're guessing here.

From 1996-2006, here's where Modano ranked on his team in SHTOI/GP among forwards:

3, 1, 4, 2, 2, 1, 1, 5, 3, 3

I'll take your word for it that he wasn't a major factor after that, because I don't have the information easily available in a spreadsheet and I'm at work.

To answer your other questions, Modano has continued to be a strong ES defensive player. I haven't seen nor heard of defensive cracks.

And what did he bring that kept him around after 2003? I dunno, how about the 77 points in 78 games in 2006?

Just to be clear, are you saying he didn't deserve an NHL job after 2003?

If it was a puck to the face, then it really wasn't anything you did wrong, was it? I had one done too, and it wasn't from anything I did wrong. I take great care of my teeth.

Anyway, you barely feel a thing. It's more the mental picture you get of the drill going into your tooth, that is hard to take. And then the tooth is dead - forever. And you'll never feel it again.

I actually have heard many stories (from Recchi being in Pittsburgh for two stints) that he is indeed a major fitness freak, especially now at the end of his career for the last 5 years. He is a very ridiculously in shape athlete. Moreso than most NHL players in the league right now at 43 honestly.....I'm in class right now bored but I'm on my phone so I can't look up stories at this moment, but I can try to get those later on.

By the way....thank you Artist Formerly Known As jarek for making my selection.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
I specifically mentioned that 77 point season as one good season since 03-04, and you still seemed to miss that. I'm disappointed, seventies. :(

That was basically his last really good offensive season. The season before that one and every season after.. he's been OK to mediocre. His PK time was likely shot, as his PPGA since 03-04 look like this:

12, 21, 5, 9, 24, 3

Actually, why am I even doing this? I'll just list his rankings amongst the forwards on his own team in SH TOI/G, since that information is available:

3rd (2:08), 3rd (3:00), 5th (1:30), 6th (1:44), 4th (1:59), 13th (0:13), 11th (0:00) <- on Detroit this year

Interesting findings, and somewhat bi-polar. In the years he was 3rd and 4th, he was actually quite close to the leaders in TOI/G (within 30 seconds or less).

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010

Read the news link from nhl.com instead, then.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I specifically mentioned that 77 point season as one good season since 03-04, and you still seemed to miss that. I'm disappointed, seventies. :(

That was basically his last really good offensive season. The season before that one and every season after.. he's been OK to mediocre. His PK time was likely shot, as his PPGA since 03-04 look like this:

12, 21, 5, 9, 24, 3

Actually, why am I even doing this? I'll just list his rankings amongst the forwards on his own team in SH TOI/G, since that information is available:

3rd (2:08), 3rd (3:00), 5th (1:30), 6th (1:44), 4th (1:59), 13th (0:13), 11th (0:00) <- on Detroit this year

Interesting findings, and somewhat bi-polar. In the years he was 3rd and 4th, he was actually quite close to the leaders in TOI/G (within 30 seconds or less).

Are you still talking about Modano?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

12, 21, 5, 9, 24, 3

this means he was often a 1st unit PKer, but usually 2nd, in the years he was 3rd/4th.

I hope this answers your questions now. Modano has always belonged in the NHL and he still does, in the sense that he can contribute in a positive way, far above replacement level.

Rick Middleton

May 14, 2002
Ottawa, ON
I can't tell if BC is saying Recchi is a certified, Gary Roberts-level "fitness freak" or if he just works out. Because every player works out. Regardless, I can vouch for myself in that I haven't heard anything about Recchi similar to what I heard about guys like Brind'Amour or Roberts, like that you had to lock the gym to keep them out of it. Doesn't mean someone hasn't said it, but I don't remember reading it.

http://blogs.bettor.com/Mark-Recchi...evel-of-commitment-to-personal-fitness-a39986
or
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=541875

"He's amazing. And he's a good guy, too," said Jeremy Frisch, a strength and conditioning coach for the last ten years who has been working with Recchi since the summer. "Guys should take notice that you can be in that type of shape at that age. You can absolutely get in good shape if you train and focus."

Point being, you don't play in the NHL at 43 without being in great shape.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Nighthawks select Billy Burch, C/LW.

I really wanted to pick Burch, but I couldn't find anything about his style of play or intangibles, or I would've. His goal and point finishes along with Hart are impressive.

Well, I'm off to experience my first root canal... a week after I experienced my first tooth extraction (which wasn't that bad).

I wish I had a time machine - I'd go back and brush my teeth more as a kid. I'm sure paying for it now!

My list is with Wonder Boy.

Root canals aren't bad at all.

Pick coming up soon...

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
The Philadelphia Firebirds are happy to select a defenseman that brings a unique blend of offensive skill, physicality, and defensive ability, D Eduard Ivanov

edwardivanov.jpg

3x Soviet 1st-Team All Star
1x Soviet 2nd-Team All Star
1x Soviet 3rd-Team All Star
1x Olympic Gold Medalist
3x World Championships Gold Medalist
4x Soviet League Champion
Best forward in 1964 Olympics/World Championships as a Defenseman
Soviet Hockey Hall of Fame Member
16 goals in 79 career National Team games
40 goals in 300 career Soviet League games

Edward Ivanov had a North American first name, and he played a North American style of defense. He was a defensive defender who loved to play physically. He would do anything - sacrifice his body, block shots, clear the front of the net - in order for his team to win. He had a great ability to spring transition offense with his deadly accurate passing.

Edward started at the bottom and worked his way to the top. He started as a spare defenseman, but soon he was paired with one of the greatest Russian defensemen of all time - Alexander Ragulin. Ivanov's play quickly improved with the guidance of Ragulin. Soon Ivanov was considered one of the best players in the country, and the Ragulin-Ivanov tandem is still considered to be perhaps the best defensive duo in Russian history, with the possible exception of the Viacheslav Fetisov-Alexei Kasatonov pairing of the 1980s.

xxx wrote the following about Ivanov in his book Road to Olympus:

"Like an experienced warrior, he has many fine qualities, courage, and decisiveness. He is entirely dedicated to hockey, he is in love with the game, he thirsts for battle."

I don't think a hockey player on either side of the Atlantic could get a better quote from his coach.

Although the relationship between the two remained rocky at best, Ivanov enjoyed his best years under xxx. From 1963 through 1967, Ivanov was part of 4 USSR championships, and 3 world championships.

Always one to tinker with the game, xxx was particularly pleased with Ivanov's versatility and complete understanding of the game. This allowed xxx to experiment with what was known as "the System." Instead of two conventional defenders backing up three forwards, xxx created a five man unit with only one true defender, the great Alexander Ragulin. xxx and Anatoli Firsov were the explosive forwards, while xxx and Ivanov served as "semi-defensemen," almost like a mid-fielder in soccer. They would roam both ends of the ice, creating odd man situations in both the offensive and defensive zones. Ivanov's ability in both ends led to this revolutionary though still uncommon strategy.

Ivanov's shining moment came at the 1964 Olympics in Innsbruck, Austria. Ivanvov was a key player of the 1964 gold medal championship team in his only Olympic games. Under the revolutionary roaming system, Ivanov, still technically listed as a defenseman, scored 6 goals and 7 points in 8 contests and was named as the best forward in the Olympics.

Though his career with the national team was cut short, the 5'10" 185 pound Ivanov continued to play the game he loved until 1970. Though he was devastated by the demotion and the politics played, he never lost his love of hockey.

http://internationalhockeylegends.blogspot.com/2006/08/edward-ivanov.html

Alexander Ragulin's versatile defensive partner in the 1960s, Ivanov was the only defenseman to be named the top forward in Olympic hockey history.

http://internationalhockeylegends.blogspot.com/2008/07/international-hockeys-greatest-players.html

He and Eduard Ivanov, who formed perhaps the best Soviet defensive pair of the sixties, always appeared on...

Can someone who owns the book The Red Machine: The Soviet Quest to Dominate Canada's Game finish this quote for me? I know someone here owns it. It would be greatly appreciated.

http://books.google.com/books?id=0h...ook_result&ct=result&resnum=8&ved=0CEoQ6AEwBw

The defensemen, Ragulin and Ivanov, would certainly be welcome on any of our best professional teams.-xxx, Canadian forward and future national team coach.

http://books.google.com/books?id=gO...CDAQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=ivanov ragulin&f=false

Eduard Ivanov, the club's comic, is reported to be another of their top threats.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...AAIBAJ&pg=7363,3340118&dq=eduard+ivanov&hl=en

The ace "guards" for the visitors are Eduard Ivanov and Alexander Ragulin.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...AAIBAJ&pg=5931,2596063&dq=eduard+ivanov&hl=en

Edward Ivanov led the Russian scoring spree with three goals...

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...pg=7341,1009137&dq=edward+ivanov+hockey&hl=en

Ivanov's perfect pass to Starshinov, alone in front of the Canadian net, was relayed through a maze of players past Collins.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...&pg=4988,2357634&dq=ivanov+perfect+pass&hl=en

Edward Ivanov gave the Russians' a 3-1 lead when he ripped a shot from the blueline...

http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...AAIBAJ&pg=1041,1210742&dq=ivanov+hockey&hl=en

Last edited:

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Tidewater selects D Ted Harris

harrist.jpg

Nice pick. I debated between he and Burrows for a while before going with the guy whose skillset better fit playing on a pairing with Georges Boucher. Starting with Lionel Hitchman and ending with Ted Harris, I think you can basically throw all of the defensive defensemen drafted into a hat (except for Hall, Neilson and Dutton) and pick them at random and the draft order would make just as much sense as it does now.

Hitchman, Baun, Hatcher, Lowe, Goldham, Ramsey, Schoenfeld, Samuellson, Davydov, Harper, Hartsburg, Watson, Burrows, Harris: pick and argument and prove that your guy is the best. There is very little to decide between this group of players. Drafting the last one naturally means that you got the best deal.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Legends of Hockey said:
In Boston, Stanfield joined __________and Johnny Bucyk to form what is often considered to have been the best second line in hockey from 1967 to 1972. Known as "Steady Freddie." Stanfield had a reputation as a player who showed up to play every night. His hard work, fine skating and face-off prowess endeared him to the Bruin fans and made an important contribution to the team's two Stanley Cup victories in 1970 and 1972.

The Greatest Players and Moments of the Boston Bruins said:
Underrated by the Blackhawks, Stanfield emerged as a crackerjack two-way center

Greatest Hockey Legends said:
In addition to supplying a physical element, Stanfield's role was and to distribute the puck to his high scoring linemates.

….

Unlike a lot of his Boston teammates, Stanfield did not take a lot of penalties. But does not mean he did not play physically.

….

Stanfield, who had 4 brothers who all play professional hockey, had a reputation as a speedy playmaker, a fine faceoff man and a strong specialty teams player. He showed up to play every night, earning him the nickname Steady Freddy.

Undrafted Coach said:
Anywhere else, we would really be crowing over what Freddie has been doing. In one sense he is the key to our team. Orr and Espo are expected to be important key figures. However, we win many of our games on the work of our second line. Our second line is the best second line in the NHL. Most clubs put their checking line on our big Esposito line and hope they play evenly against the second line with their second line. They figure that their first line may outscore our third or checking trio, but they almost always under-rate Stanfield's muckers.

Milt Schmidt said:
Fred can hit when he was to, but he doesn't look for trouble.

Tom Johnson said:
The line got away to a slow start, but they’ve been going great the last few weeks and Freddie has been out most consistent player. That’s all it takes, really, just one guy to get his line going. And a hot line can pick up the whole club.

Freddie’s play might seem more noticeable now but he’s always been a good body and forechecker. He’s been hitting real well lately and it isn’t the penalty kind of hitting, either. What’s he have, four minutes in30 games.

Fred’s problem of not being recognized as a truly outstanding player is because we have superstars on this club. When another center leads the league in scoring, he tends to get the publicity. The same is true on defense. Fred makes his line go. On a real good line like that, all three complement each other. They’ve been playing together for four years now and it’s a matter of instinct knowing what the next man is going to do, where he’s going to be. You just watch Freddie. He’s as good at that as anyone in the league.

Fred Stanfield !!!

Awards and Achievements:
2 x Stanley Cup Champion (1970, 1972)
4 x Stanley Cup Finalist (1965, 1970, 1972, 1975)

Scoring:
Points – 9th(1971), 12th(1972), 15th(1968)
Assists – 4th(1972), 6th(1971), 7th(1968), 7th(1973)

Play-off Points – 5th(1970), 7th(1972)
Play-off Assists – 2nd(1970), 6th(1972)

Newspaper Clippings:
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette – May 23 said:
… Stanfield scored 135 goals in six seasons with the Bruins. He took a regular shift at center and also played the point on power plays.

Bangor Daily News – December 24 said:
National Hockey League fans are slowly coming to realize what Boston Bruins fans have knows for a long time – that Fred Stanfield is one whale of a hockey player.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Nice pick. I debated between he and Burrows for a while before going with the guy whose skillset better fit playing on a pairing with Georges Boucher. Starting with Lionel Hitchman and ending with Ted Harris, I think you can basically throw all of the defensive defensemen drafted into a hat (except for Hall, Neilson and Dutton) and pick them at random and the draft order would make just as much sense as it does now.

Hitchman, Baun, Hatcher, Lowe, Goldham, Ramsey, Schoenfeld, Samuellson, Davydov, Harper, Hartsburg, Watson, Burrows, Harris: pick and argument and prove that your guy is the best. There is very little to decide between this group of players. Drafting the last one naturally means that you got the best deal.

Reise too. (Although if I wanted to be really self-serving I could say that a guy with two postseason all-stars and two all-star games, on merit, in two other seasons, is actually in the Hall/Neilson/Dutton class)

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Stanfield is an interesting pick.

He's a forward who can play a bottom 6 role at even strength, then be a good shot from the point on the PP.

My only issue with him is how good he would be on the point of the PP without a guy like Bobby Orr next to him.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
Jokerit selects LW/C Kirk Muller.

not sure if i will put him at 2nd LW or 3rd C. could take faceoffs instead of forsberg.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Stanfield is an interesting pick.

He's a forward who can play a bottom 6 role at even strength, then be a right handed shot from the point on the PP.

My only issue with him is how good he would be on the point of the PP without a guy like Bobby Orr next to him.

He won't be on the point.

Stanfield can play bottom 6, but he can also be a second line glue guy.

Stanfield is there to play with Dunderdale. I think he's a perfect match there. He brings everything that people could question about Dunderdale.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
He won't be on the point.

Stanfield can play bottom 6, but he can also be a second line glue guy.

Stanfield is there to play with Dunderdale. I think he's a perfect match there. He brings everything that people could question about Dunderdale.

PICK!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad