ATD 2011 Draft Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
zubov was another player i thought a lot about picking. especially b/c he was great on PP, but was also a good defensive player in dallas.

i have thought for a long time that zubov's norris and AS record is not as good as he was. when i looked back through the all star and award thread, i noticed that one of his (undrafted) contemporaries often had better votes, but was clearly not as good.

pronger vs niedermayer is a similar case. imo, pronger was clearly a superior player in both regular season and playoffs, but niedermayer has more 1st AS and a smythe.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
imo, lidstrom's problem with big players is near the net. he does not clear the crease very well.

I agree, but it's a much bigger problem on PK, where you can pair him with a bigger defenceman, and i don't see how an aggressive, but rather small partner helpes him in that regard.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
By the way, Nighthawks, when you pick, might be a good idea to leave a list with a couple people, since you have 3 of the next 10 or so.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
i thought a lot about picking babe siebert, since i found that he played D before '36.

in '28, siebert played F and D and was named maroons' MVP. i wonder if playing 2 positions made players more likely to win MVPs. several hart winners did it.

siebert was also among the fastest players in the NHL. he tied howie morenz for fastest time around the montreal forum.

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York

I will post the game reports I have which chronicle Siebert's at least half season at D in 27-28 when I post the info I have about Hooley Smith's time on defense in Montreal. I need to give it a bit of time, though, because it folds into a broader discussion of Smith's defensive game which needs to wait until a couple of other players are drafted, which will be a while unless someone loses his mind.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
i read one of the reports again. (december 26, 1927 montreal gazette)

it says siebert "lost control of the puck for a time just after the start, otherwise he would have smashed the record by a good margin."

"190 yard turn of the forum ice in 17 seconds flat."

siebert was called a LW in the report.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
27-28 for the original rule, 96-97 for the current limit of 63".
thanks

Yeah he tends to go late. Another player in the Blake tier, though, as far as I'm concerned.
agreed

i did not see much difference between zubov (in dallas) and blake (or niedermayer) at the same time. dallas was more structured, though, which helps.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
nik great pick on Lemaire. I was definitely eyeing him. Pick to come in a few.
Dang, I was hoping Lemaire would fall to 180. Gotta look somewhere else for Gordie's center now.
imo, lemaire was not the best scoring line C, but i needed to find someone who would allow hull to play his best, while still having an effective line.

lemaire was also a clutch player. tied with lafleur for most playoff points in the '70s, scored many big playoff goals in his career, set a record (with cournoyer) for most points in a finals series in '73 and could have won the '79 smythe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad