ATD 2010 Bios

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
nik jr said:
i forgot to make a bio of phil watson.

i found some good stuff on him in old papers, and i will post it soon, if anyone is interested.

i did not find much on his defensive play, other than for the '40 playoffs. it was much easier to find information on his agitating and feisty play.
looking forward to it!

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
PHILLIPE HENRI WATSON

philwatson.jpg

postion: C/RW
height: 5'11
weight: 165
shoots: right
jersey number: 7
born: 4-24-1914 in Montreal, PQ, Canada
died: 2-1-1991

"The fastest and most elusive skater in the league"
Milwaukee Journal: 1-26-1941 said:
"For several seasons, Watson has been the fastest and most elusive skater in the league," the Rangers chieftain (Lester Patrick) [said].
Ottawa Citizen: 4-21-1937 said:
A speed contest during the 2nd intermission has been planned with any player who may wish circling the rink against time. Hockey fans may remember a similar contest held in the Montreal Forum a few years ago with Hec Kilrea showing an amazing turn of speed to win all the prizes. On that occasion Kilrea defeated many of the speediest stars in the game including the late Howie Morenz, who at the time was rated by most sports writers as the fastest man in the NHL. Kilrea is still able to show a brilliant turn of speed while other stars such as Phil Watson, Jack McGill, Sylvanus Apps, Charlie Conacher, Sid (sic) Howe and others can also skate with the best of them.
Montreal Gazette: 1-22-1938 said:
Lester Patrick dubbed Phil Watson "perpetual motion on skates"
The Broadway Blueshirts needed one more victory for the Stanley Cup. They had the lead in the series, 3 to 2, but little else. They were physically spent. And when they dropped behind 2-0, late in the 6th game, they seemed definitely through.
Lester Patrick couldn't have looked more worried. "I'm afraid the boys haven't much left," sighed the Ranger chief. "We've taken a terrific pounding. Only Watson looks normal. He's got so much speed that the big fellows just can't body check him."

"Fiery Phil"

Montreal Gazette: 12-30-1937 said:
PHIL WATSON RATES AS THE NHL'S MOST ANNOYING PLAYER

It was Phil Watson, the Montreal product now starring with Rangers, that finally pierced the angelic shell that has enclosed the former bad man, Eddie Shore, this season. . . And Shore cut Watson down. . . Phil has earned himself a dubious reputation around the circuit by his cocky impertinent bearing. . . Both Maroons and Canadiens regard him as "a cheeky little snip" and one Maroon, at least, is biding his time until the time arrives for him to go to work on Mr. Watson's person in a stand-up fight. . . This particular Maroon is very handy with his fists. . . He doesn't scrap often, but when he does he throws punches like machine-gun bullets. . . "I've never liked Watson since he came into the league," remarked the Maroon the other day, "he's too much the smart-aleck; too sure of himself. Well I've been storing this up a long while, but some day I'm going after him--good." . . . Phil just seems to have a faculty for annoying people.
Montreal Gazette: 3-26-1938 said:
Phil Watson, of Rangers, has a knack of annoying nearly everyone he plays against.
Montreal Gazette: 4-15-1940 said:
Watson is probably the cockiest player in the business, but you can't get mad at him because he can back up every statement he makes regarding his abilities, and that, friends, is plenty.
"I gotta watch dose guys?" he asked. "Okay, but dey better watch me also." Watching Watson means you've got to be ready to take plenty of elbows and knees.
Times Daily: 11-25-1940 said:
DRESSING ROOMS LIKE HOSPITAL WARDS AS HOCKEY CLUBS SCRAP
Art Coulter suffered a fractured and badly wrenched right shoulder when he was checked into the boards by Pete Slobodian. The captain and veteran defenseman of the Rangers is out 3 weeks.
Slobodian suffered 3 separate fractures of the jaw when the young defenseman was cross-checked by Phil Watson. One eye is closed tight. He's on the sidelines for a month and when he gets back, he'll wear some protection for his jaw.
Watson is wearing steaks on an eye.
Montreal Gazette: 1-8-1941 said:
5 major penalties, 2 of them to Joe Cooper, the Hawk defenseman, were imposed by referee Bill Stewart. The quarrel started in a 1st period flare-up when Cooper flattened Phil Watson with a blow to the head with his stick after Watson had elbowed him. Cooper got his 1st major for that, while Watson drew a minor.

"Spark plug of the Rangers"
One of the lightest players in professional hockey, Watson is the darling of the big, bruising Ranger team. And when little Phil gets walloped, his teammates see red. This is by no means an infrequent occurrence because Watson loves a fight. He doesn't start all, or even most fights he gets into; but he's never been known to stop one. He's a 155 pound parcel of dynamite just asking to be detonated as he skates headlong into deadly situations and deadlier defense men.
In fact, he's the fightingest player in big league hockey now that advancing years and the minor leagues have claimed Eddie Shore. Shore, a strong man, fought with a cold, deliberate fury. Watson, reckless as well as fearless, challenges players twice as husky and muscular as himself and flies in the face of foolhardy odds.
Naturally, the other teams in the league are studded with powerful defense men aching for the chance to get even with the little speed demon who has outskated and outgambled them so often. But these muscle men are cautious about taking their revenge. Whenever one of them forgets himself and starts a war with Watson, he finds he has an entire, aroused Ranger team on his hands. And an aroused Ranger team is a sight to see.
"Watson gets us into too many fights and too much trouble," confesses Lester Patrick, the Ranger boss. "Phil's the most eccentric, dynamic, unstoppable player I've coached in a lifetime of hockey; something seems to snap inside his head when there's a flare-up on the ice, and he just can't stay out of a fight, anybody's fight." "But," Patrick adds meaningly, "I'm afraid to caution him too much--I might cure him!" That, as Patrick knows, would be fatal to the Stanley Cup champions. Where would he be when his Rangers bogged down if Dr. Watson were not there with the needle?

Phil Watson's secret for fighting:
Phil Watson said:
Always get in the first punch. I can set myself, but the fellow I hit is off balance. Then they break it up before anything more happens.

PIM
'37: -
'38: 12th
'39: 12th
'40: 19th
'41: 13th
'42: 7th
'43: 16th
'44: 6th
'45: -
'46: 9th
'47: -
'48: -

Defense
Lester Patrick said:
He could back-check with the best
--from Milwaukee Journal: 1-26-1941

Miami News: 4-1-1940 said:
Hextall is the right winger on New York's "rough house" line, which usually gets the task of checking the enemy's crack forwards and seeing that they don't score. He plays with the colorful Phil Watson who usually keeps the customers' attention while he's on the ice.

part of a strategy against a dump and chase:
Montreal Gazette: 12-7-1940 said:
At the Forum on Thursday night, you may have noticed New York Rangers lining 4 men across their blue line to meet an oncoming Canadien rush, while a 5th man, either Phil Watson or Neil Colville, dropped in behind them and roved alertly.

Offense
Watson was a very good playmaker, but not a good shooter. He instead relied on his great speed, stickhandling and deking to score.

'38: 18th
'39: 10th
'40: 11th
'41: 13th
'42: 4th
'43: -
'44: 20th
'46: -

assists
'37: 18th
'38: 4th
'39: 10th
'40: 2nd
'41: 4th
'42: 1st
'43: 14th
'44: 16th

goals
'37: -
'38: -
'39: 12th
'40: -
'41: -
'42: 19th
'43: -
'44: -
'48: 18th

short handed goals:
Montreal Gazette: 1-6-1941 said:
Peppery Phil Watson scored 3 goals tonight as New York Rangers outplayed New York Americans for a 6-2 NHL victory that gave Lester Patrick's speedy team a lead of 3 games to 1 in the city series for the William J. MacBeth Memorial Trophy.
3 times the Rangers scored while themselves short-handed, twice by Watson and once by Lynn Patrick

working to improve his shot:
"All last summer we had Phil walking on his hands," (Lester) Patrick explained. "He practiced it every day, sometimes for an hour at a time. It was an exercise, we figured, that would stiffen those rubbery wrist of his, put some punch into his shots.
"For several seasons, Watson has been the fastest and most elusive skater in the league," the Rangers chieftain went on. "He could pass, he could make plays, he could back-check with the best." But he just couldn't shoot hard enough to worry the goaltenders. He had to resort to feinting and trickery all the time. The goaltenders knew that; they watched for it.
"After the playoffs, I pointed out to Watson that hockey's big league, like the sky, is full of stars," Lester went on. But only the shooting stars attract attention. I reminded him of the case of the Boston Bruins' Roy Conacher; Roy can't do half the things on a hockey rink that Watson can, but his terrific shot makes him a high-scoring superstar."
This season, Patrick insists, there is dynamite in Watson's wrists as well as in his personality!

1940 Playoffs
The Stanley Cup, hockey's most treasured trophy, goes back to New York today to the loving custody of New York Rangers and if you want one big reason then you don't have to look any further than a raven-haired French-Canadian lad from Montreal whose dogged persistence is matched only by his cockiness.
Great Two-Way Display
He proved it in these Stanley Cup Finals as he first tied up the great Milt Schmidt of Boston Bruins and then Syl Apps, Toronto centre ace. Both those players have been mentioned among the all-time greats, while Watson was just(?) going along doing his job. "I gotta watch dose guys?" he asked. "Okay, but dey better watch me also." Watching Watson means you've got to be ready to take plenty of elbows and knees, and it was too much to ask. Phil got 3 goals and 6 assists in the 12 playoff games "and about $1,500," he adds. Schmidt didn't get even 1 point in 6 games; Apps got but 2 goals.
Strangely enough though, both Schmidt and Apps, who figured prominently earlier in the year in a controversy regarding who was the greatest hockey player of all time, chose a funny time to be "off." They were both below form when checked by Phillipe Sansouci Watson, who is good and doesn't mind telling you.
For sheer, dogged spirit, Watson was wonderful here Saturday night. He went through enough to break the heart of more than one man. Broda robbed him of almost certain goals in both the 1st and 2nd periods; Bill Stewart (referee) robbed him of one in the 3rd.
Then, with 30 seconds to go, Phil gives Dutch Hiller a beautiful pass and Broda comes up with a remarkable save. So it goes into overtime and the Leafs figure Watson is going to give up and play dead. Not Phillipe Sancouci. Hextall got that winning goal, but in our book, Watson was the hero. Even yours truly could have scored on that pass, and yours truly has not scored a goal since 12 years ago last Michelmas.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
it is not as big as i wanted. have to pay to see NYT articles, which would be the best source for information.

but i think the bio gives a good summary of phil watson.

You should have asked me before I cancelled my subscription! I wasn't using anywhere close to my 100 articles per month, and google news, as a whole, has been a better resource and free, so I cancelled just last week.

Really good bio, though. Paints a much more detailed pic of Watson than we ever had before.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Credit to Mr.Bugg for providing quotes and stats

Quotes on how his team played while he was team trainer:

"Manager Pete Green changed his system Saturday night and caught the Toronto team flat-footed. Instead of laying his men back at the start of the match, the Ottawa coach opened up a cyclonic attack, and Ottawa had two goals in the bag before the Torontos settled down."- The Toronto World, January 24th 1921

GF/GA of his teams as coach:

1908- 86 GF (1st), 51 GA (2nd)
1909- 117 GF (1st), 63 GA (2nd)
1910- 89 GF (3rd), 66 GA (3rd)
1911- 122 GF (1st), 69 GA (2nd)
1912- 99 GF (1st), 83 GA (3rd)
1913- 87 GF (3rd), 81 GA (2nd)

Second coaching stint with Ottawa:

GF/GA of teams in second stint:

1920- 59 GF (2nd), 23 GA (1st by over 20 goals)
1921- 49 GF (1st by ten goals), 23 GA (again, 1st by over 50%)
1922- 106 GF (1st by eight goals), 84 GA (1st, by 13 goals)
1923- 77 GF (3rd), 51 GA (1st)
1924- 74 GF (1st), 54 GA (2nd)
1925- 83 GF (4th/6), 66 GA (3rd/6)

Green’s Senators won games with superb goaltending and defense. The late hockey historian Stanley Coleman writes in his trilogy The Trail of the Stanley Cup that the 1921 Senators used a “Kitty bar the door technique which their opponents found very frustrating.†Indeed the Senators led the NHL in defense from 1920-23 which begs the question: was this a reflection of Green’s hockey philosophy or did he simply lead with his strength and push the right buttons?-Matthew Dibiase

"Ottawa used their safety-first five man defensive system and St.Pats used very poor judgement in trying to get through. Coach Green's system won a champion for Ottawa last season, and unless the other teams find a way to offset it, the Senators will repeat this year."- Globe and Mail, December 30, 1920

""Pete" Green has the best material in the league, and in the second, he has perfected a system that to date has baffled all attempts to break it down. He uses a five-man defensive system, goes on the assumption that nine out of every 10 players will not pass the puck, and instructs his players to play the man. It is a defensive system, the kind that has received many hard knocks in the past, but the results obtained by Ottawa are proof that Green knows what he's doing."- Globe and Mail, January 17, 1921

The Toronto St.Pats are happy to select, a coach who led a team elite in all aspects to a dynasty, to head our own team to victory...

Pete Green!

Awards and Achievements
6 x Stanley Cup Champion (1909, 1910, 1911, 1920, 1921, 1923)

Ok, this is driving me a little bit crazy. In continuing my research on Tommy Gorman, I am trying to figure out more about Pete Green's role on the team. I have checked the above quotes and the first one (1921 Toronto World) is legit. But I can't figure out what is going on with the "Globe and Mail" quotes from later in the bio. The Globe and Mail did not actually exist until 1936, at which time The Mail and The Globe merged. I have tried to find these quotes in both of those publications in google archives, but the Globe has rubbish for this time period (it appears to be a women's suffrage magazine called The Vote, rather than the Globe), and the Mail has nothing, at all. I have also tried searching the archives at The Globe and Mail's website, but their archives don't seem to go back very far, at all.

Does anyone have any idea where those second two quotes might have come from? Any help would be appreciated.

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Ok, this is driving me a little bit crazy. In continuing my research on Tommy Gorman, I am trying to figure out more about Pete Green's role on the team. I have checked the above quotes and the first one (1921 Toronto World) is legit. But I can't figure out what is going on with the "Globe and Mail" quotes from later in the bio. The Globe and Mail did not actually exist until 1936, at which time The Mail and The Globe merged. I have tried to find these quotes in both of those publications in google archives, but the Globe has rubbish for this time period (it appears to be a women's suffrage magazine called The Vote, rather than the Globe), and the Mail has nothing, at all. I have also tried searching the archives at The Globe and Mail's website, but their archives don't seem to go back very far, at all.

Does anyone have any idea where those second two quotes might have come from? Any help would be appreciated.

That would be my guess:

http://199.198.129.206/PageViewTop.asp?CurrentPageId=&

Click on 'modify search'

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Patrice Bergeron, C
d331321dfc.jpg

Bergeron is the 25th player to be awarded the Triple Gold Pin for winning the World Championships, Olympic Gold, and the Stanley Cup

Bergeron plays for a division rival of my favourite team, and I see a lot of him. I hate the Bruins but I have a ton of respect for Bergeron, as well as former Sen Zdeno Chara. Those two guys have been the heart and the core of the Boston Bruins in the past few seasons, and Boston has been one of the very best teams in the league over that time.

Accomplishments
  1. Bergeron was voted the Selke Trophy as the league's best defensive forward in 2011-12, receiving 106 of 149 first place votes. He finished top 5 in voting for the trophy in the two previous seasons.
  2. Bergeron was a playoff hero for the Bruins in 2010-11, leading their main matchup line and scoring two goals in the Cup-winning Game 7.
  3. Bergeron was a part of the gold medal winning Team Canada in the 2010 Olympics.
  4. Bergeron has won more regular season faceoffs than any other player since the beginning of the 2009-10 season. His faceoff percentage is the fourth highest over that time.
  5. Bergeron's ranks in SHTOI among forwards on his team since 2008-09: 3, 2, 1, 1, 2
  6. Bergeron led the NHL in plus-minus for the 2011-12 season and is first for the 2010-11 through 2012-13 seasons combined.
  7. In a TSN coaches poll for 2012-13, Bergeron led all Eastern Conference players in support for the Selke Trophy as he "won in a landslide with no other player getting any appreciable level of support."
Quotes
SI:
"He was a huge difference maker," Chiarelli says. "If you watch him closely during a game, you'll see he's almost always in the right position. We're a straight-line team, and he gives us so much defensive presence coming back up the middle of the ice."

Says Marchand, "He's always thinking ahead, where the next play is going to go.
In the process he outplayed a man he is often compared with: Vancouver forward Ryan Kesler, who at that point had an early hold on the Conn Smythe Trophy.

"Bergeron to us is as much as Kesler is to them," Bruins coach Claude Julien had said on the eve of the finals. "He brings the same elements. He plays hard every game, he's a great face-off guy, power play, penalty kill.... [He] does it all for us."
ESPN:
"When you've got a guy like Bergeron doing such a good job down in your own end, the puck gets out quicker," explained Julien. "When you have those guys on each side of you there's a pretty good attack going on. That's a good line for us and all three deserve a lot of credit."

When the Bruins start with the puck after a faceoff win, it usually translates into success. Boston's centermen are among the league's best. Bergeron is ranked No. 6 in the league with a 61.6 percent success rate on drops. He was 12-for-20 against the Leafs on Thursday. But even when he loses a draw, most times he's still the first one on the puck in an attempt to force a turnover.

"He doesn't like to lose draws," Julien said. "If you lose a draw, for him it's a mistake and he's going to try to redeem himself as quick as he can. That's the reliability that comes with his game."

Bergeron compared to Kesler and Richards by the career numbers.
Player | GP | G | A | P| Non-PP G| Non-PP A |Non-PP Pts| PP% | TmPP+ | SH% | TmSH+
Patrice Bergeron | 558 | 149 | 273 | 422 |104 |183 |287 |41% | 1.22| 39% | 0.92
Ryan Kesler | 568| 154 | 188 | 342 | 103| 134 |237 | 62%| 0.92 | 40%| 0.90
Mike Richards | 549 | 157 | 253 |410 | 114 |145 | 259 | 51%| 1.13 |39%| 0.84

Their penalty killing stats are remarkably close - all have killed a lot of penalties with a lot of success.

Bergeron has played the most on the power play for the worst power play teams. Kesler has played the least on the power play for the best power play teams. There's not necessarily a lot to distinguish the three here and none are significant PP contributors in an all-time sense.

Looking at their non-PP scoring (as that's their role in this draft), their goal scoring numbers are pretty similar. Bergeron has the most assists and Kesler the fewest. Linemates are probably part of that, but I think most people would agree that Bergeron is a better playmaker than Kesler.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad