ATD #11, Rene Lecavalier Finals. Inglewood Jacks (1) vs. New Westminster Bruins (3)

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
e6841376dc.jpg

Cy Denneny - Joe Malone - Hooley Smith (A)
Dany Heatley - Denis Savard - Sergei Makarov
Nick Metz - Ken Mosdell - Joe Klukay
Al Secord - Bernie Nicholls - Bill Guerin

Mel Bridgman - Shane Doan

Slava Fetisov (C) - Eric Desjardins
Chris Chelios (A) - Jimmy Watson
Leo Reise jr - Glen Harmon

Pat Egan

Harry Lumley
Chuck Rayner

VS.​

NEW WESTMINSTER BRUINS
Co-GMs: raleh and God Bless Canada
Coach: Hector "Toe" Blake

Fred "Bun" Cook-Frank Boucher-Maurice "Rocket" Richard
Kevin Stevens-Pat Lafontaine-Theoren Fleury
Ross Lonsberry-Butch Goring-Trevor Linden
Vic Stasiuk-Bob Bourne-Terry O'Reilly
Bill Hay

Aubrey "Dit" Clapper-Carl Brewer
Doug "Diesel" Mohns-Dollard St. Laurent
Ron Greschner-Steve Smith
George Owen
Pekka Rautakallio

Charlie Gardiner
Glenn "Chico" Resch​

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
New West captain/alternates:

Captain: Aubrey "Dit" Clapper
Alternate Captain: Maurice "Rocket" Richard
Alternate Captain: Carl Brewer
Alternate Captain: Terry O'Reilly

New Westminster special teams

Power play units:
Stevens-Boucher-Richard-Clapper-Mohns
Cook-Lafontaine-Fleury-Brewer-Greschner

Penalty killing units:
Lonsberry-Goring-Clapper-Brewer
Stasiuk-Bourne-Mohns-St. Laurent
Cook-Boucher-Greschner-Smith
Fleury-Linden-Clapper-Brewer

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
As I said before, I expect this series to be a long one, likely a seven-game series. But I think this Inglewood team has a lot in common with the team we just beat in Glace Bay - two dangerous scoring lines, an excellent defensive line, a robust physical fourth line, outstanding defence, good but not great (from an ATD perspective) goaltending and bottom-tier coaching. So, from that perspective, I like the match-up.

I think the big thing we have to watch for is the Inglewood defence. As I said in my recaps, I think this is the best defence in the draft in terms of finding pairings that work. And with the way it's set up, we know that either Chelios or Fetisov is going to be on the ice for at least 45 minutes a game, probably 50 minutes a game, when you consider that they are on separate units. From my perspective, it's the biggest challenge to face.

I don't think Inglewood's 3/4 guys (DesJardins and Watson) are as strong as Glace Bay's (Seibert and Hollett) from a personel perspective, but I thought we could and would exploit Hollett. There's no exploiting a guy like DesJardins or a steady Eddie guy like Watson. They're just solid defencemen.

It's just a really good, a really solid defence. It's a defence that works.

My guess is that Inglewood will try to match the Mosdell line up against the Richard line. And that's fine with us. We just beat a team with a third line every bit as good defensively as Inglewood's. And like Glace Bay, Inglewood's third line isn't going to get much offensively. Metz? One top 10 finish in an offensive category, and I'm not sure how many are impressed by eighth in goals per game. A couple good playoff performances offensively. Klukay? Zero top 10 finishes. Tremendous defensive wingers, but if arrbez wants that match-up, and I think we will, he's going to have a third line out there a lot that won't get him points. Mosdell's terrific as well. He might be the worst centre to be named to a first all-star team, but his smarts and his two-way game are excellent.

We don't worry about line matching. It's not that much of an issue when you have Frank Boucher as your No. 1 centre. As I said in the last series, when your best defensive forward is centring your first line, it's a luxury. So we don't have to worry about line match-ups. We just play our lines. Don't have to worry about line match-ups, or too many men calls to get the line match-ups.

If arrbez decides to forego the line matching, here's the reality of the situation: Richard will be matched up against one of Denneny, Heatley or Secord. Fine hockey players, good physical presence from all three. But none of them have the mobility or the defensive acumen to match up against Richard. Denneny? Tremendous grit. Excellent goal scorer. Not very mobile, though, and not impressive defensively. Heatley? Fantastic goal scorer. Big winger who does what it takes to score goals. Excellent in the corners. Good skater, not good defensively. Secord? Big, gritty goal scorer. But is he mobile enough to keep up with Richard? And is he good enough defensively. (Bernie Nichols wasn't much defensively, either, so that leads me to believe arrbez will avoid having his fourth line out there against our first line).

You can have the great defencemen, and Inglewood certainly has that, but without the team defence, the defencemen get worn down.

I think we have an edge in net. Lumley's great. Really underrated around here. Good enough to be a lower-tier No. 1 goalie. But he's not as good as Chuck Gardiner.

I think coaching is a significant edge for us. Sinden's a good players' coach. Good at handling the egos. And that's important at this level. But in Toe Blake, you're talking about one of the best ever. No. 1 on some lists, top three on most lists, probably top five on all lists. This is a really close series. Coaching could be the king-maker. Very good possibility of it. If that happens, New West wins.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
A few observations (not comprehensive):

- Although I agree that Richard can take advantage of Denneny, Heatley or Secord, I’d imagine that Chelios would be on the ice for virtually all of Richard’s shifts. What a war that would be! Chelios is one of the few players in the league with the strength, determination and aggression to keep up with the Rocket. Obviously no player can completely contain Richard, but I’d imagine Chelios getting 25 minutes per game can do a decent job.
- This is problematic because even if Chelios is guarding Richard all series, another top-ten all-time defenseman will be on the ice for 25 minutes! Fetisov’s fantastic rushing & playmaking ability should be a great asset to the Jacks’ transitional offense. Savard, Makarov, and Fetisov, due to their speed and stickhandling ability, complement each other well and would pose a significant threat. Simply put, the Jacks have a game-changing defenseman on the ice virtually all game.
- Interesting contrast between the depth forwards. In Metz/Klukay, Inglewood has one of the best defensive duos in the draft (furthering suggesting Richard can at least be slowed down). However, New Westminster has exceptional depth, clutch scoring in Smythe winner Goring and Bourne (actually 4th in scoring during the Islanders five consecutive Cup finals appearances and team scoring leader in 1983).
- Both teams have a lot of toughness throughout their lineups, particularly among the depth forwards. The big mismatch here is that the Bruins have a big edge on the second line due to the presence of Fleury and Stevens; even Lafontaine was quite a bit tougher than many people give him credit for. Clearly Makarov, Savard and Heatley would be physically outmatched (though, also clearly I think, the Jacks’ second line has more firepower).
- The Bruins have an edge in goal – although it’s always tough to rate players who died young, Gardiner was exceptionally accomplished, being named the best goalie in the league three times in four years starting in 1931 (when the first all-star team was awarded). He was an excellent playoff performer as well (his GAA dropping 30% in the playoffs).
- The Bruins clearly have the edge behind the bench. Blake is probably #3 on my list.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Thanks for the feedback, HO. (As always). Just a few responses:

*I heaped great praise on Inglewood's defence already. Best 1-2 punch in the draft. In terms of actual ability to mesh, and finding pairings that work (which is more important than personnel), I think Inglewood's top four is the best in the draft. I think our previous opponents, Glace Bay, had a better top four personnel-wise, but we felt we could expose Hollett. We aren't going to expose Eric DesJardins or Jimmy Watson. Solid, solid defencemen. Outside of Mark Howe, they're probably the best defencemen in Flyers history.

*Also keep in mind that it's not just Richard vs. Chelios. It's Richard's line, which includes Frank Boucher, plus the defencemen out there at the time, against Chelios, DesJardins and the forwards that are out there at the time. And that's where I think we have an advantage. One of the things that concerned me most about Glace Bay in the last series was their team defence. Second line was strong defensively. Fourth line was strong defensively. Third line was on par defensively with Inglewood's. Inglewood's team defence isn't as good as Glace Bay's. Not even close. Second line isn't good defensively. Fourth line isn't good defensively. As I said before, outside of the third line, there isn't a good match-up for the Jacks against Cook-Boucher-Richard. I think the world of the guys in Inglewood's top four, but they can only do so much.

*And, to reiterate, if they want to line match the Mosdell line against the Boucher line, that favours us. The Mosdell line isn't going to do much offensively. They might get one or two goals in a seven-game series. (And I think this is a seven-game series). But if they're matched up against Boucher, they're going to be out there more than any other line. So they won't score enough to win a seven-game series. The highly skilled first line won't get enough ice time. The highly skilled second line won't get enough ice time. The rough-and-tumble, talented fourth line won't get enough ice time. And if they want to match Denneny, Heatley or Secord out there against Richard (or Heatley-Savard-Makarov/Secord-Nichols-Guerin against Cook-Boucher-Richard) they're going to be in trouble. A top line against top line match-up we'd welcome, because of Richard vs. Denneny, but Hooley Smith is a really tough guy to play against.

*On the second line front, I think the offensive advantage closes come playoff time. Savard's a magnificent playoff performer. Yes, he benefited from playing against terrible Norris Division teams for most of the 80s, but that only skewers his numbers slightly. He also had two point-per-game post-seasons in Montreal, and he had a magnificent, turn back the clock effort for Chicago in 1995. Heatley's playoff record is good on the surface, but when Ottawa needed him to provide a big goal in 2006 against Buffalo or 2007 against Anaheim (I had Heatley in my playoff pool both years, so I can tell you everything you would want to know about Heatley), he didn't deliver.
-Makarov's playoff record is incomplete. Don't care about the World Championships. Not at this level. Hockey has the most irrelevant world championships in sports. Makarov isn't playing a tournament with best-of-ones. He's playing best-of-sevens. And while his performance in best-on-best tournaments is impressive, again, it's a tournament with best-of-one games (he played in the one best of three in 1987). It's hard to really get a gauge on him because he didn't play a Stanley Cup playoff game until he was 31. His most memorable post-season effort was in 1991, but it was memorable for all the wrong reasons. He nearly played his way out of the league. Calgary tried desperately to unload him after the 1991 playoffs, but there weren't any takers. Makarov re-established himself after 1991. The question is: how do we judge the 1991 playoffs? Is it a reflection of his age (33)? Or is it a reflection of a guy who struggled to adjust to the best-of-seven? (He was held goal-less in 1990, for what it's worth).
-Stevens and Fleury have outstanding playoff records. Stevens was over a point-per-game for his career in the post-season. He's fortunate from a statistical perspective that he rarely played in the playoffs after his play nose-dived in 1995 (it took a step back after the Pilon hit in 1993, but it plummeted after the 1995 season), but bottom line is his production didn't drop in the playoffs, for the most part, at his peak. Fleury, as I mentioned earlier, was leading the playoffs in scoring three straight years (1993, 1994, 1995) when Calgary was eliminated. Lafontaine's playoff numbers are skewered because he played most of his playoff games early in his career. He was well over a point-per-game from 1988 to 1996, but it's also a small sample size. (37 points in 27 games).
-I don't think there's much difference between Lafontaine and Savard offensively. As I've mentioned before, Lafontaine's numbers take a pounding because of a lack of support. He had nothing to work with from 88-89 to 90-91 on Long Island, and he had nothing to work with in Buffalo in 1995-96. He still managed 40 goals each time. Savard had Steve Larmer. And not to take anything away from Savard. The guy was dynamite. But he was fortunate to be able to pass to Larmer, and to do so against soft Norris Division competition in the 80s, while Lafontaine had, uh, Mikko Makela, in the Patrick Division. (Which, with the exception of 1989-90, was a good division during Lafontaine's Islander years).

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Hey guys, sorry I haven't really been able to offer anything in the way of arguments here. I just haven't had time to sit down and go through it all this week.

But vote for me anyways, and I'll make a better showing next series ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad