ATD #11 - Red Fisher Conference Final: Boston Bruins (1) vs. Detroit Red Wings (2)

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Boston Bruins

Coach: Al Arbour
Captain: Bill Cook
Assistant Captains: Hap Day, Peter Stastny

#10 Alex Delvecchio - #6 Frank Nighbor - #5 Bill Cook (c)
#71 John LeClair - #26 Peter Stastny (a) - #13 Vladimir Martinec
#12 J.P. Parise - #20 Don McKenney - #11 Harry Hyland
#7 Ed Sandford - #30 Dick Irvin Sr. - #8 Jim Pappin

extras: #19 Reggie Fleming - #9 Charlie Burns

#2 Doug Harvey - #4 Hap Day (a)
#15 Jim Neilson - #17 Jan Suchý
#14 Graham Drinkwater - #3 Red Dutton

extras: #51 Gilles Marotte

#31 Grant Fuhr
#1 Dave Kerr

VS.

300px-Detroit_Red_Wings_logo.svg.png

Detroit Red Wings
Coach: Tommy Ivan
Captain: Ted Kennedy

Sweeney Schriner - Ted Kennedy (C) - Jarome Iginla
Paul Thompson - Marty Barry - Frank Foyston
Jack Walker - Phil Watson - Ron Ellis
Craig Simpson - Edgar Laprade - Ken Wharram

extras: Paul Henderson, Marty Walsh

Red Kelly - Fern Flaman
Bob Goldham - Edward Ivanov
Barry Beck - Tommy Anderson

extras: Tomas Jonsson

Dominik Hasek
Percy LeSueur​

Last edited:

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Ok, I guess I'll get the ball rolling here. This matchup reminds me quite a bit of the ATD#10 finals, with my team looking to control the ice against an opponent backed by Dominic Hasek. We'll see how it turns out.

Coaching/Intangibles:

I have a lot of respect for Tommy Ivan, but Arbour is still clearly on another level here. It's not an enormous advantage, but still a significant one, which is compounded by holding the advantages of home ice and a fresher team. Even before we look at the relative skill levels of the teams involved, the Bruins clearly have an advantage in terms of dictating play in this series.

Goaltending:

Clearly, this is an advantage for Detroit, and indeed their crucial advantage if they hope to advance. There are legitimate arguments for Hasek as the greatest goalie of all-time, and while Fuhr's postseason record is outstanding, comparing him to Hasek is really not fair.

1st units:

This is clearly a win for the Bruins, who hold an advantage in 4 out of 5 positions on the ice (all but #2 defenseman), and also hold a considerable speed advantage over their Detroit counterparts. I'll give Fern Flaman an edge over Hap Day in this comparison, but other than that the Bruins win going away, and also matchup extremely well in the skating comparison against a sluggish Detroit 1st line on which only Shriner (who was defensively indifferent) has plus speed. Both Kennedy and Iginla are solid checkers, but their lack of footspeed is a serious problem against a Bruins 1st unit on which all five starters are excellent skaters. The Wings 1st unit is more of a cycling unit than anything else with Kennedy and Iginla less than stellar in transition, but they have little hope of bullying the Bruins down low, and absolutely cannot skate with them in transition. It's a very good matchup for the Bruins both in terms of skill level and attacking weaknesses.

2nd units:

This is a battle of two of the better 2nd lines in the league. The best player on either 2nd line is Peter Stastny, who outclasses Marty Barry (who I like quite a lot, but really it's an unfair comparison), but the skill level of the wingers in this matchup is quite similar. Paul Thompson was a steal where Spit drafted him (11th round, if I remember correctly), and in spite of the difference in draft position, he compares well to John Leclair in terms of offense/defense mix. Thompson is less a scoring force than Leclair, but a better checker. What Thompson doesn't bring is the physical game of Leclair, and in fact that element is missing from the line, as a whole. The Wings 2nd line clearly has a lot of talent, but it lacks a powerforward/puckwinning type to do the dirty work along the boards and in front of the net. Both Thompson and Barry have solid size, but neither has a reputation for that kind of play, while John Leclair was quite possibly the best digger/crease crasher in the league during his prime. There is a reason I traded up for Leclair; these kinds of players are hard to find on a 2nd unit. Foyston and Martinec are very similar players, and I don't see an advantage on either side of this matchup. I'll include more information on Vlad Martinec over the weekend.

In spite of puckwinning problems and the unfriendly Barry/Stastny matchup, it's on the defensive side of the ice that Detroit has it's biggest problems. Simply put, the Wings don't have a credible puckmover on the 2nd pairing. Detroit's 2nd line is built for all-out attack (with only Thompson holding any real defensive value), but the Wings don't have the defensemen to efficiently move the puck up ice to the forwards. It is an obvious deficiency that has been discussed already, and I don't see any reason to beat the point to death.

On the other side of the ice, Boston's 2nd unit attack will be sparked by Jan Suchy, who is among the most spectacular offensive defensemen you're likely to find on an ATD 2nd unit (in addition to being a solid 2-way player and shotblocker), and backed by Jim Neilson, who was a strong transition passer in his own right. Suchy's goal-scoring ability, specifically, is almost off-the-charts good by ATD 2nd unit standards, and he may well have a lot of success trailing the play behind playmakers Stastny and Martinec. Overall, Boston wins not only the personnel/talent comparison (due to Suchy and Stastny), but also ices a much more complete 2nd unit, with outstanding puckmoving from the blueline and the power of Leclair up front.

3rd units:

Spit has gotten a good deal of praise for this 3rd line, and rightly so: it is an excellent unit. Phil Watson is something of a sacred cow in the ATD, though the truth is that in terms of overall value, he an McKenney are roughly equal. Watson was a strong playmaker, a tough player and a fine checker. McKenney's overall offensive game involves somewhat less playmaking, but hugely more goalscoring, and is overall superior to Watson's. McKenney was also a solid 2-way player, though Watson gets an edge there, and gets a more profound edge in physical play against the Lady Byng winner. Both were excellent playoff performers. Overall, the players compare quite closely, with McKenney being the better offensive producer, and Watson holding more defensive/physical value.

I have quite a high opinion of Jack Walker, and consider him simply better than J.P. Parise. That is one positional matchup that Detroit wins.

Ellis vs. Hyland is an interesting comparison. On the one hand, Ron Ellis' offensive abilities are underrated by those who look only at his top-10 results, as he was in the 10-20 range among goalscorers on a number of occasions and was viewed as a legit scoringline player for the vast majority of his career. An excellent checker, and quite underrated goalscorer. He is opposed by a player whose "complete game" (defense, physicality, etc.) is unknown, but who was a spectacular scorer in his prime, placing among the very best of his generation (that being Malone and Lalonde) over his peak - a level that Ron Ellis never approached. Harry Hyland is a brilliant scorer for a 3rd line role, and in spite of Ellis' excellent all-around game, I think Hyland simply outclasses him.

The bottom pairings are both good, featuring an excellent #5 (Anderson and Dutton) and a somewhat less interesting #6.

One problem that Detroit faces with their 3rd line is that it is a unit whose value lies largely in checking. But the Wings are behind the 8 ball in terms of dictating play in this series because of being on visiting ice and the coaching matchup, which brings into serious question just how effectively Walker - Watson - Ellis can be used as a checking unit. It doesn't do much good to ice a super checkingline if you can't dictate the matchup and control the play, which Detroit clearly cannot do here.

4th lines:

I'm not the only one who thinks that Detroit's 4th line is a bit of a mess, but I won't get too much into detail on that point. Boston's 4th unit is very dangerous, featuring the still underrated scoring star Dick Irvin Sr. at center flanked by two big, strong, defensively responsible and talented wingers who raised their level of play in the postseason. With strong checking center Charlie Burns waiting in the pressbox, the 4th line is capable of playing either a scoring role (with Irvin) or a shutdown role (with Burns - and probably Sandford/Parise swapped on the lines to make a pure checking unit of Parise - Burns - Pappin), and should be effective in both capacities.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall, this matchup clearly comes down to how many pucks Dominic Hasek can stop. Boston has more considerably more talent on the top 2 units and much more complete units, as well, not suffering from the speed problems of Detroit's 1st unit or the puckmoving/puckwinning problems of the 2nd. In addition to this personnel advantage, the Bruins will largely dictate the play by virtue of Arbour's strategic excellence and home ice advantage. It is a substantial deficit for Detroit to overcome, especially considering that Grant Fuhr is also an excellent playoff goalie. Hasek is certainly capable of stealing this series, but the odds are stacked against him.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Ah gee...alright give me a day, I'll try to reply to all this.

Edit: Ok, I've been working on it and about halfway done. I'll try to post tonight, tomorrow at the latest.

Last edited:

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Alright well here we go, looks like I’m in for a tough series (and debate, of course) with Sturm in order to get a chance to be in the finals.

Coaching/Intangibles:

I have a lot of respect for Tommy Ivan, but Arbour is still clearly on another level here. It's not an enormous advantage, but still a significant one, which is compounded by holding the advantages of home ice and a fresher team. Even before we look at the relative skill levels of the teams involved, the Bruins clearly have an advantage in terms of dictating play in this series.

I don’t see how Arbour is clearly on another level. Maybe if you just rank the all-time greatest coaches he’d be a spot or two a head of Ivan but what difference does that make? He had a great team with great players that put together great results…so did Tommy Ivan. Both of them have similar teams to those they coached in the NHL. I don’t see any advantage to be had here.

Goaltending:

Clearly, this is an advantage for Detroit, and indeed their crucial advantage if they hope to advance. There are legitimate arguments for Hasek as the greatest goalie of all-time, and while Fuhr's postseason record is outstanding, comparing him to Hasek is really not fair.

Yea, goaltending is one of our big advantages.

1st units:

This is clearly a win for the Bruins, who hold an advantage in 4 out of 5 positions on the ice (all but #2 defenseman), and also hold a considerable speed advantage over their Detroit counterparts. I'll give Fern Flaman an edge over Hap Day in this comparison, but other than that the Bruins win going away, and also matchup extremely well in the skating comparison against a sluggish Detroit 1st line on which only Shriner (who was defensively indifferent) has plus speed. Both Kennedy and Iginla are solid checkers, but their lack of footspeed is a serious problem against a Bruins 1st unit on which all five starters are excellent skaters. The Wings 1st unit is more of a cycling unit than anything else with Kennedy and Iginla less than stellar in transition, but they have little hope of bullying the Bruins down low, and absolutely cannot skate with them in transition. It's a very good matchup for the Bruins both in terms of skill level and attacking weaknesses.

Kennedy put together a HOF career with 5 Stanley Cups (3 as captain), 3 Smythe-worthy playoff runs while also gaining a reputation for being a good checker and great defensively despite his skating style. He did this going up against the likes of Schmidt, Lach, Abel, Beliveau, etc. many excellent skaters. I don’t think he’s going to all of the sudden have problems against Frank Nighbor of all people. I know Nighbor has been rocketing up everyone’s rankings over the past few drafts but I don’t believe he’s a better player than Kennedy. Fwiw (not much I know, but still), the HOH-100 ranking has Kennedy significantly higher than Nighbor, THN does as well. Comparing their records of playoff success also favours Kennedy. Nighbor has the impressive ’15 and ’20 Stanley Cup playoff series’ but after that his record in the playoffs is not very impressive, and overall it’s not really any better than those of my 2nd and 3rd line players Foyston and Walker.

I don’t know how you’re under the impression Iginla is bad skater, he’s actually a very good skater and it can be considered one of his strengths, especially his acceleration. I’m fairly confident in saying Delvecchio doesn’t have any advantage on him in that aspect of the game.
From “Experts debate NHL’s fastest skaterâ€:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=405565&navid=DL|NHL|home
“Jarome Iginla has explosive speed but that's just part of a whole superior package. He combines speed with finesse and toughness, but it starts with speed.â€

Although a small one, another point to make is that all 3 players on my first line played with far lesser players over their careers than the Bruins top 3. Kennedy put together an MVP playoff run with Howie Meeker and Vic Lynn as his linemates and another with Sid Smith and Mackell/Sloan as linemates. None of whom are on the level of Schriner/Iginla. Schriner put up two Art Ross winning seasons with Chapman and Carr, and Iginla has achieved his success with players who aren’t even MLD caliber for most of his career. Playing together on a line, the three players on my top line would be even better than their career numbers suggest. This is not the case with the Bruins top line players who all played with HOF linemates throughout their careers.

2nd units:

This is a battle of two of the better 2nd lines in the league. The best player on either 2nd line is Peter Stastny, who outclasses Marty Barry (who I like quite a lot, but really it's an unfair comparison), but the skill level of the wingers in this matchup is quite similar. Paul Thompson was a steal where Spit drafted him (11th round, if I remember correctly), and in spite of the difference in draft position, he compares well to John Leclair in terms of offense/defense mix. Thompson is less a scoring force than Leclair, but a better checker. What Thompson doesn't bring is the physical game of Leclair, and in fact that element is missing from the line, as a whole. The Wings 2nd line clearly has a lot of talent, but it lacks a powerforward/puckwinning type to do the dirty work along the boards and in front of the net. Both Thompson and Barry have solid size, but neither has a reputation for that kind of play, while John Leclair was quite possibly the best digger/crease crasher in the league during his prime. There is a reason I traded up for Leclair; these kinds of players are hard to find on a 2nd unit. Foyston and Martinec are very similar players, and I don't see an advantage on either side of this matchup. I'll include more information on Vlad Martinec over the weekend.

In spite of puckwinning problems and the unfriendly Barry/Stastny matchup, it's on the defensive side of the ice that Detroit has it's biggest problems. Simply put, the Wings don't have a credible puckmover on the 2nd pairing. Detroit's 2nd line is built for all-out attack (with only Thompson holding any real defensive value), but the Wings don't have the defensemen to efficiently move the puck up ice to the forwards. It is an obvious deficiency that has been discussed already, and I don't see any reason to beat the point to death.

Can you give some evidence that Goldham can’t move the puck? I think this is just a misconception. He can’t rush the puck into the opposing zone worth a damn I’ll give you that, but why is it assumed he can’t make a forward pass? His assist totals are actually quite good, scoring more assists than Marcel Pronovost his longtime D partner in 3 of the 6 seasons they played together in Detroit (’52, ’54, ’56). His numbers aren’t so bad especially considering he was a defensive D and never crossed opposing bluelines.

Ivanov can definitely pass the puck up ice, and according to his bios it was actually one of the strengths to his game:

“He had a great ability to spring transition offense with his deadly accurate passing.â€-summit series/greatestHL

They may not be rushing up ice with the puck, but they can certainly move it to my fowards well enough, disproving that point. The Bruins defense has the problem of Neilson and Suchy defending against a top notch 2nd line. Are they good enough defensively to be playing against Barry and Foyston who were both among the very best playoff scorers during the times they played? They faced and thrived against much better defensemen than Neilson and Suchy over the course of their careers. Paul Thompson’s 22 points in 48 playoff games isn’t far off from Bill Cook’s 24 in 46, and Thompson put up those numbers while playing on the Blackhawks with undrafted linemates Doc Romnes and Mush March while Cook was playing with HOFers Frank Boucher and his brother Bun. Thompson only adds to the offensive punch of that line and the defending problems for Neilson/Suchy, and gives my 2nd line a very good defensive player as well, something the Bruins 2nd line lacks.

You brought up puck battling and I think you’re right it wasn’t one of the better parts of Barry or Foyston’s games but it’s also not a weakness and they’re going into the corners up against the likes of Suchy, Neilson, Stastny, and Martinec I don’t think they’ll have any trouble getting the puck. I’ve always been under the impression Thompson was good at that part of the game, having played on a checking line and on the defensive Hawks teams, but can’t prove it. As for Foyston I have these which don’t really say much on this point, but I believe they also show he wasn’t afraid to battle for the puck, and also played in all 3 zones:
“He (Foyston) was usually among the top scorers in the league and was widely considered one of the best all-around hockeyists of the period from 1910 until 1930.â€
-Ultimate Hockey
“In 1916-17, Foyston won an award for being the best all-around player…Foyston was fearless and aggressive on the ice.â€
-Wings of Fire

On the defensive side, Barry might not be anything special defensively but he’s certainly no worse than Stastny, Leclair, and Martinec. The Bruins’ Suchy/Neilson pair also needs the extra defensive help much more than Goldham/Ivanov will, and they won’t be getting much from the Bruins 2nd line. Goldham/Ivanov both have the strength to deal with Leclair who should come as a relief after facing Howe and Nels Stewart. They both thrive at that part of the game and are more than capable of winning the puck battles against your 2nd line, and I think they’d excel at it.

I’ll wait for your explanation of Martinec who I don’t know a whole lot about, but I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt and forget about that comparison for now, although I do think Foyston was the better player. It’s rather hard to compare the two, and if you consider Martinec equal to Foyston you could probably use the same logic/argument to conclude Milan Novy was an equal to Frank Nighbor.

Overall I don’t see an advantage for the Bruins in 2nd unit, which is at a significant disadvantage defensively.

3rd units:

Spit has gotten a good deal of praise for this 3rd line, and rightly so: it is an excellent unit. Phil Watson is something of a sacred cow in the ATD, though the truth is that in terms of overall value, he an McKenney are roughly equal. Watson was a strong playmaker, a tough player and a fine checker. McKenney's overall offensive game involves somewhat less playmaking, but hugely more goalscoring, and is overall superior to Watson's. McKenney was also a solid 2-way player, though Watson gets an edge there, and gets a more profound edge in physical play against the Lady Byng winner. Both were excellent playoff performers. Overall, the players compare quite closely, with McKenney being the better offensive producer, and Watson holding more defensive/physical value.

Fair enough. Obviously I prefer Watson and hopefully he can draw a penalty or two from Harvey, but McKenney is a very good player as well and I think he’s still underrated even after your winning last ATD with him as 3rd line centre.

I have quite a high opinion of Jack Walker, and consider him simply better than J.P. Parise. That is one positional matchup that Detroit wins.

Walker/Parise is a fairly big mis-match in Detroit’s favour.

Ellis vs. Hyland is an interesting comparison. On the one hand, Ron Ellis' offensive abilities are underrated by those who look only at his top-10 results, as he was in the 10-20 range among goalscorers on a number of occasions and was viewed as a legit scoringline player for the vast majority of his career. An excellent checker, and quite underrated goalscorer. He is opposed by a player whose "complete game" (defense, physicality, etc.) is unknown, but who was a spectacular scorer in his prime, placing among the very best of his generation (that being Malone and Lalonde) over his peak - a level that Ron Ellis never approached. Harry Hyland is a brilliant scorer for a 3rd line role, and in spite of Ellis' excellent all-around game, I think Hyland simply outclasses him.

Well these are very different players we’re comparing and Hyland’s unknown game outside of goal scoring could leave that line with some problems, and takes away from the effectiveness this line would have as a checking unit.

The bottom pairings are both good, featuring an excellent #5 (Anderson and Dutton) and a somewhat less interesting #6.

Yeah they’re fairly equal and I like your as well, although I think mine would be a bit better in providing offense.

One problem that Detroit faces with their 3rd line is that it is a unit whose value lies largely in checking. But the Wings are behind the 8 ball in terms of dictating play in this series because of being on visiting ice and the coaching matchup, which brings into serious question just how effectively Walker - Watson - Ellis can be used as a checking unit. It doesn't do much good to ice a super checkingline if you can't dictate the matchup and control the play, which Detroit clearly cannot do here.

The difference with my 3rd line is that while it’s elite at checking, it can also score at a very good clip. I have no problem with them being able to check your top lines when I have home ice, and letting them score against your bottom 6 when on the road (while also checking the likes of Hyland). This also gives Ivan an advantage over Arbour, he can roll 3 lines against any of the Bruins lines but I don’t think Arbour would want his 3rd line out against either of my top two.

4th lines:

I'm not the only one who thinks that Detroit's 4th line is a bit of a mess, but I won't get too much into detail on that point. Boston's 4th unit is very dangerous, featuring the still underrated scoring star Dick Irvin Sr. at center flanked by two big, strong, defensively responsible and talented wingers who raised their level of play in the postseason. With strong checking center Charlie Burns waiting in the pressbox, the 4th line is capable of playing either a scoring role (with Irvin) or a shutdown role (with Burns - and probably Sandford/Parise swapped on the lines to make a pure checking unit of Parise - Burns - Pappin), and should be effective in both capacities.

My 4th line is no more of a mess than yours, which has Dick Irvin playing with a couple of pluggers, where as during his career he played with offensively gifted players like George Hay, Carson Cooper, and Babe Dye. In fact, my 4th line has almost exactly the same make-up as your 3rd line, so should we assume that one is a mess as well?

I think my 4th line is more dangerous with both wingers finishing in the top 3 in NHL scoring twice. Simpson was also a leading scorer in two Stanley Cup winning runs. Irvin brings more offense than Laprade but is indifferent defensively where as Laprade is excellent, and I don’t know how effective you can expect Irvin to be getting 4th line minutes when he was a number one centre his entire career.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall, this matchup clearly comes down to how many pucks Dominic Hasek can stop.

I know you’re trying to push your team, but this statement isn’t fair at all. I haven’t put together some scrub Sabres team in front of him. It would hardly be a shooting gallery for the Bruins as my team has a very good team-defense not to mention it’s debatable whether your offense is even any better outside of the top line. Hasek just has to let in less goals than Fuhr, and I like his chances.

Boston has more considerably more talent on the top 2 units and much more complete units, as well, not suffering from the speed problems of Detroit's 1st unit or the puckmoving/puckwinning problems of the 2nd. In addition to this personnel advantage, the Bruins will largely dictate the play by virtue of Arbour's strategic excellence and home ice advantage. It is a substantial deficit for Detroit to overcome, especially considering that Grant Fuhr is also an excellent playoff goalie. Hasek is certainly capable of stealing this series, but the odds are stacked against him.

I’ve discounted the speed and puck moving/puck winning problems. I don’t see this ‘strategic excellence’ that Arbour is going to bring. What great strategic moves did he pull over his career that are going to allow him to outclass Ivan? I believe the odds are stacked in Hasek’s favour, not Fuhr’s, who would probably feel a lot better about his chances if he had Flaman/Goldham/Ivanov playing in front of him instead of Day/Neilson/Suchy, and had the better backchecking forwards.

My team is harder to score goals against and I also think we have an advantage in physical play and would do a much better job of wearing the Bruins down over a long series. I also think the forwards on my team did a much better job of stepping up in the postseason over the course of their careers. Down the middle Kennedy, Barry, and Watson have all been the best player on Stanley Cup winning teams. Jack Walker and Frank Foyston have both been as well. Who on the Bruins you can say that about? Nighbor maybe? There’s a very good chance Detroit’s offense could be the better one to go along with Detroit’s advantages in goaltending and team defense which will all give them a great chance to win this series.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Kennedy put together a HOF career with 5 Stanley Cups (3 as captain), 3 Smythe-worthy playoff runs while also gaining a reputation for being a good checker and great defensively despite his skating style. He did this going up against the likes of Schmidt, Lach, Abel, Beliveau, etc. many excellent skaters. I don’t think he’s going to all of the sudden have problems against Frank Nighbor of all people.

What is the "of all people" part of that sentence supposed to mean? Nighbor is better than Schmidt, and easily better than Lach and Abel. I don't understand why you even included Jean Beliveau in this list; Beliveau's 1st full season in the NHL came during Kennedy's last. Beliveau belongs to a later generation. Suggesting that Kennedy made his defensive reputation checking Jean Beliveau is...inaccurate, to put it nicely.

I know Nighbor has been rocketing up everyone’s rankings over the past few drafts but I don’t believe he’s a better player than Kennedy. Fwiw (not much I know, but still), the HOH-100 ranking has Kennedy significantly higher than Nighbor, THN does as well.

This is a non-argument. If anyone still voting gives a damn about the 1st round HOH results or THN (for the love of god), I would be very surprised. The bottom line is that Frank Nighbor is better than Ted Kennedy in all zones of the ice. I've already shown that over his 7 year offensive peak (which doesn't even include his Hart trophy), Nighbor was on roughly the same offensive level as Lalonde, and his two best seasons had him finishing 1st and 2nd. Kennedy was a top-10 scorer four times in his career, and peaked at 4th overall. Both in terms of peak and career offensive value, Nighbor beats Kennedy easily. Comparing their defensive reputations is not fair to Kennedy, who was known as a good checking forward, but in no way belongs in a discussion of the best of all time. Nighbor has two great Cup runs (statistically) to Kennedy's three, and both men skated for 5 Cup winners. What is Kennedy's advantage here, exactly? Frank Nighbor is unequivocably the better player.

I don’t know how you’re under the impression Iginla is bad skater, he’s actually a very good skater and it can be considered one of his strengths, especially his acceleration. “Jarome Iginla has explosive speed but that's just part of a whole superior package. He combines speed with finesse and toughness, but it starts with speed.â€

You're quoting the great hockey mind Kevyn Adams here in a total fluff piece in which a huge laundry list of players are mentioned. Iginla's speed lies mainly in his first step, which is quite good; he's a classic "power skater". In terms of top-end speed, he's nothing special. I have serious doubts about Iginla's ability to check Delvecchio in transition.

Although a small one, another point to make is that all 3 players on my first line played with far lesser players over their careers than the Bruins.

The same argument could be made against Gordie Howe and Wayne Gretzky. As broad, sweeping arguments go, this one is a loser.

Can you give some evidence that Goldham can’t move the puck? I think this is just a misconception. He can’t rush the puck into the opposing zone worth a damn I’ll give you that, but why is it assumed he can’t make a forward pass? His assist totals are actually quite good, scoring more assists than Marcel Pronovost his longtime D partner in 3 of the 6 seasons they played together in Detroit (’52, ’54, ’56). His numbers aren’t so bad especially considering he was a defensive D and never crossed opposing bluelines.

Your comparison between Goldham and Pronovost is a masterpiece of mangled context. Goldham was fully in his prime when Pronovost was breaking in with the Wings in his early 20's. Pronovost didn't begin peaking until after Goldham retired. Could Bob Goldham move the puck as well as a raw Marcel Pronovost? Sure, but a 22 year old Marcel Pronovost wouldn't be a good 2nd pairing puckmover, either. Actually, I think you put your finger on it exactly when you said "(Goldham's) numbers aren't so bad." Somewhat like my criticism of Leo Boivin as a primary puckmover on a 2nd pairing, it's not so much that Goldham is incompetent offensively, it's that he's far below the mean for his offensive role in an ATD context. Let's see - Goldham tallied 102 assists in the 50's, which places him 14th among defensemen for the decade. OF course, Goldham retired in 55-56, so maybe looking at his average helps...no, not really. He averaged 15.1 assists, which was good for 17th in the decade, and that's not counting Ken Reardon and Carl Brewer, who played only 1 and 2 seasons in the 50's respectively. Bob Goldham was not a high-end offensive defenseman in the real NHL - he is not even close to a high-end 2nd pairing puckmover in an all-time context.

Goldham's resume actually compares quite well to that of Jim Neilson. Both have some all star (both once 2nd teamers) and Norris love (Goldham placed 5th once - Neilson placed top-5 twice, at 4th and 5th), and both were competent but not high-end puckmovers. Goldham's top-10 defensemen scoring finishes go: 2nd, 5th, 8th - though it should be noted that the 2nd place finish was in 45-46, which was still a war year in terms of competitive level in the NHL. Neilson's top-10 defensemen scoring finishes go: 4th, 5th, 8th, 8th. Both were very big for the era (6'2" with Neilson at 205 lbs. and Goldham at 195 lbs. - from the best data I've found), could take the body, and were primarily stay-at-home types who scored by outlet passing. There seems to be very little to seperate Goldham and Neilson in general. In the context of this series, Neilson is a secondary puckmover behind one of the best offensive defensemen you're ever likely to find on an ATD 2nd pairing, and Goldham is skating next to...Edward Ivanov.

Ivanov can definitely pass the puck up ice, and according to his bios it was actually one of the strengths to his game:

“He had a great ability to spring transition offense with his deadly accurate passing.â€-summit series/greatestHL

That quote from Joe Pelletier is about the only thing you've got on Ivanov's offensive abilities, right? Of course it is, because there's nothing much more to say. Ivanov had one shining moment as an offensive producer in the 1964 Olympics, but other than that, appears to have been a fairly unspectacular player in an era (early to mid 60's Europe) of weak competition. There just isn't much to say about Ivanov because there isn't much that we know about him. If the voters want to take a leap of faith that this guy can be the puckmover than Bob Goldham is not, that is up to them.

The Bruins defense has the problem of Neilson and Suchy defending against a top notch 2nd line. Are they good enough defensively to be playing against Barry and Foyston who were both among the very best playoff scorers during the times they played? They faced and thrived against much better defensemen than Neilson and Suchy over the course of their careers.

Uhmmm...Jim Neilson placed top-5 in Norris voting twice to Bob Goldham's once, and it's not like he did it because of his offense. Your question seems bizarre with that in mind. As far as Jan Suchy goes, he was far from a one-dimensional player. In addition to puck-rushing, Suchy also revolutionized shot-blocking in the European game, and had a reputation as a great 2-way player. There are lots of quotes about Suchy's all around greatness, but here is a new one:

Lorsque survient la seconde confrontation, les Tchécoslovaques viennent de perdre Jan Suchý, peut-être le meilleur joueur du tournoi, qui s'est cassé l'index contre les Américains.

It comes from the 68-69 World Championships page on this site. For those of you who don't read French, the quote says: "Before the second match (against the USSR), the Czechoslovaks lost Jan Suchy, perhaps the best player of the tournament, who had broken his leg against the Americans." That's right, not only did Suchy win his first Best Defenseman award (and place 10th in tournament scoring) missing part of the tournament with a broken leg, but he was also described as "perhaps the best player of the tournament" (which looks like an understated way of saying that he was the best) in a year in which the top-10 scorers included Firsov, Mikhailov, Holik, Kharlamov, Nedomansky and Maltsev. Jan Suchy did not make his reputation playing Phil Housley hockey.

As for Foyston I have these which don’t really say much on this point, but I believe they also show he wasn’t afraid to battle for the puck, and also played in all 3 zones:
“He (Foyston) was usually among the top scorers in the league and was widely considered one of the best all-around hockeyists of the period from 1910 until 1930.â€
-Ultimate Hockey
“In 1916-17, Foyston won an award for being the best all-around player…Foyston was fearless and aggressive on the ice.â€
-Wings of Fire

Trust me...I've researched Foyston more than anyone here, and there's nothing out there to suggest he was a digger. I agree with you that he was also not a floater, but the guy was a pure finesse player, bottom line.

Down the middle Kennedy, Barry, and Watson have all been the best player on Stanley Cup winning teams. Jack Walker and Frank Foyston have both been as well. Who on the Bruins you can say that about? Nighbor maybe?

You seem to be forgetting Doug Harvey and Bill Cook, as well as Jan Suchy (who scored the opening and game-winning goal against the Soviets in the biggest game in Czechoslovak history) and Vladimir Martinec, who was the undisputed leader of the mid-70's mini-dynasty Czech teams. Ed Sandford actually has a retro Conn-Smythe for what that's worth, and Jim Pappin led the 67 Champion Leafs in scoring by a healthy margin.

Apropos nothing, your description of Pappin as "a plugger" is also quite weak. Pappin's top-20 goals finishes go 6th, 14th, 15th, 16th - making him very nearly as good a goal-scorer as Ron Ellis, who I made a point of praising in my last post.

I’ll wait for your explanation of Martinec who I don’t know a whole lot about, but I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt and forget about that comparison for now, although I do think Foyston was the better player. It’s rather hard to compare the two, and if you consider Martinec equal to Foyston you could probably use the same logic/argument to conclude Milan Novy was an equal to Frank Nighbor.

Regarding Vlad Martinec, his results speak for themselves. Here is Martinec's Czech league MVP voting record:

1st (72-73), 1st (74-75), 1st (75-76), 1st (78-79), 3rd (73-74), 4th (76-77), 5th (79-80), 6th (80-81)

The names of the players against whom Martinec competed for these honors include: Vaclav Nedomansky (for the first few years), Jiri Holecek (his toughest competition), Jiri Holik, Ivan Hlinka, Frantisek Pospisil and Peter Stastny (briefly), among others. Martinec utterly dominated a quality Czechoslovak league during his prime, and backed that up with a run of 4 consecutive IIHF all-star nods (competing against the Soviet Army line, among others) and a Best Forward award in 1976 in which he crushed the field. He was the undisputed leader of the Czechoslovak national team that won back to back world championships in 76 and 77 at the height of Soviet power.

Martinec was chosen in a recent poll in the Czech Republic as the 3rd greatest Czech player in history, behind (predictably) Jagr and Hasek. Jan Suchy was chosen as the 4th best. You can read about it here. Any way you slice it, Martinec's career stands up very well against his European contemporaries. There is a very good argument that he was better than Nedomansky (the Czechs seem to think so), Yakushev and Petrov, and not far below the likes of Maltsev, Mikhailov and Kharlamov. Martinec was the greatest Czech player of his generation almost without a doubt, and the single opponent that the Soviets feared and hated the most.

I'm not going to make a direct comparison between Martinec and Foyston (whose reputation around here is in some ways the product of my own research), at least in part not to waste my time with Spit's strange ad-hominem ramblings about Frank Nighbor and Milan Novy, but mostly because Vladimir Martinec's career stands up well enough on its own, without the need for any kind of comparisons. I think the players are on roughly the same level (and played mostly the same style of game, as well), but that is simply an instinct based on my overall understanding of the history of hockey. When comparing talents from such disparate periods, there is a lot of guesswork involved, and the voters will make up their own minds, at any rate.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Gentlemen, great debate so far. As usual, I'll reply to the little things that caught my eye:

Kennedy put together a HOF career with 5 Stanley Cups (3 as captain), 3 Smythe-worthy playoff runs while also gaining a reputation for being a good checker and great defensively despite his skating style. He did this going up against the likes of Schmidt, Lach, Abel, Beliveau, etc. many excellent skaters. I don’t think he’s going to all of the sudden have problems against Frank Nighbor of all people. I know Nighbor has been rocketing up everyone’s rankings over the past few drafts but I don’t believe he’s a better player than Kennedy. Fwiw (not much I know, but still), the HOH-100 ranking has Kennedy significantly higher than Nighbor, THN does as well. Comparing their records of playoff success also favours Kennedy. Nighbor has the impressive ’15 and ’20 Stanley Cup playoff series’ but after that his record in the playoffs is not very impressive, and overall it’s not really any better than those of my 2nd and 3rd line players Foyston and Walker.

I don't think there is any way that Kennedy is ahead of Nighbor. Nighbor is better defensively - he was the best of his time, by far, as opposed to being "just" another good/great defensive player like Kennedy. He was the second-best playmaker of his time after Taylor, and not too far down the list for goalscorers.

As for his playoff record, Nighbor certainly would have won the Smythe if it existed in 1915, and was stellar in 1920. And look what happened to Ottawa when he was out with an injury in 1919.... annihilation. I agree that on the surface, his totals don't look so great (33 pts in 39 games) but look at it relatively. It was like that all over the pre-merger world. Nighbor is right there among Malone, Lalonde, Taylor, and Foyston as the best playoff performers of the era. With so few teams making the playoffs and short two-game/total-goals series being the norm, it's only natural that you'll see a few 2-0-0-0 and 2-0-1-1 seasons on any great player's record.

I agree, Goldham can move the puck. His LOH bio says so and nothing I've ever read suggests that he couldn't. In fact, most of what I read of him involves his contemporaries swearing he should be in the hall.

On the other hand, most defensemen selected in the ATD can move the puck to some degree. So if Sturm wants to argue that Goldham can't move the puck from an ATD context, as in relative to most defensemen selected, I would have to agree. But will be be completely inept? I doubt it.

I don’t know how effective you can expect Irvin to be getting 4th line minutes when he was a number one centre his entire career.
[/QUOTE]

With few exceptions, every player selected in the ATD is settling into a lesser role. It's like the NHL is the minors and we're recalling the very best of them to play in the big leagues. Lionel Conacher is a #2 defenseman. Art Coulter is a #3. You've got marty barry as a #2 center and Foyston as a #2 winger. You guys have Dave Kerr and Percy Lesueur as backups. And so on.

I don't like this argument. I believe all players selected are placed into a new "pool" of players where their abilities are evaluated and they are placed in a new pecking order. Much like if Peter White tears up the AHL with 70 points in 40 games and gets recalled. he doesn't go up to be a 1st liner in the NHL; he gets stuck on the second line, or maybe even the 4th.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
What is the "of all people" part of that sentence supposed to mean? Nighbor is better than Schmidt, and easily better than Lach and Abel. I don't understand why you even included Jean Beliveau in this list; Beliveau's 1st full season in the NHL came during Kennedy's last. Beliveau belongs to a later generation. Suggesting that Kennedy made his defensive reputation checking Jean Beliveau is...inaccurate, to put it nicely.

You’re wrong about Beliveau and Kennedy only playing one season in the NHL against each other. They were in the league together for 3 full seasons (including both Kennedy’s ‘55 and Beliveau’s ’56 Hart trophy winning seasons) and parts of a 4th season. And besides the fact it’s very debatable whether Nighbor was better than those other players, the argument you originally made was for skating ability. To say Nighbor was a much better skater than those players is not clear at all. Kennedy was able to play against them among others and still excel despite his skating, so how is Nighbor going to take advantage of it? I don’t see it happening.

This is a non-argument. If anyone still voting gives a damn about the 1st round HOH results or THN (for the love of god), I would be very surprised. The bottom line is that Frank Nighbor is better than Ted Kennedy in all zones of the ice. I've already shown that over his 7 year offensive peak (which doesn't even include his Hart trophy), Nighbor was on roughly the same offensive level as Lalonde, and his two best seasons had him finishing 1st and 2nd. Kennedy was a top-10 scorer four times in his career, and peaked at 4th overall. Both in terms of peak and career offensive value, Nighbor beats Kennedy easily. Comparing their defensive reputations is not fair to Kennedy, who was known as a good checking forward, but in no way belongs in a discussion of the best of all time. Nighbor has two great Cup runs (statistically) to Kennedy's three, and both men skated for 5 Cup winners. What is Kennedy's advantage here, exactly? Frank Nighbor is unequivocably the better player.

Kennedy’s biggest advantage over Nighbor is his record of stepping up to be “the guy” in big playoff series’.

Of Kennedy’s 5 Stanley Cup wins, there are 2 in which he was undoubtedly the best player for his team (’47, ’48), 1 in which he was undoubtedly the best skater for his team (McCool could be considered for MVP in ’45, although it’s likely still Kennedy), and 2 other very good ones where he led his team in scoring and was likely the best skater (’49 – Broda MVP) and finished 3rd in team scoring (’51).

Nighbor’s ’15 Cup series was very good, but the entire Millionaires team fired away on Ottawa outscoring them 26-8, and Cyclone Taylor was probably the best player in that series with 8 goals and 10 points. An argument could be made that Nighbor was the best player, it’s certainly possible, but that Cup win was a cakewalk and there were plenty of great performances on his team including Barney Stanley and Mickey MacKay. I guess if you could show he factored in some of the more important goals in that series, I’d accept this one as a top performance, but it looks very debatable.

1920 was the only other good showing Nighbor had in his 5 Cup wins. But again, it looks like he came up 2nd to Darragh who had all 3 game winning goals and a hattrick in the deciding 5th game. On defense Ottawa had Gerard, Cleghorn, and Boucher who could have all had MVP performances as well.

In 1921 Nighbor’s performance was a dud as he contributed 1 assist in a hard fought 5 game series. Ottawa scored 12 goals in that series.

1923 Nighbor came up with another dud scoring 2 points in a 6 games series, to go along with his 10 penalty minutes which were probably 5 minors considering it’s the gentlemanly Nighbor. Again his team scored 12 goals.

1927 Nighbor again contributed 2 points in a 6 game series. Although this one looks a bit better as his whole team only scored a total of 7 goals, and Nighbor was over 30, it’s still not a great showing.

Nighbor did not consistently step up in the Cup series/playoffs, and is well behind Kennedy in this aspect. Nighbor’s very best playoff performance likely rates somewhere between Kennedy’s 4th and 5th best. So when a game in this series is tied towards the end of the 3rd, I believe there would be a much better chance Kennedy would be scoring that key goal on Fuhr, than Nighbor putting one by Hasek.

You mentioned Nighbor’s top-10 scoring finishes but looking at his numbers in the NHL (I don’t have NHA stats) from 1917-1924 with just 4 teams (and two years only 3 teams) and 9 skaters per team there are only 27-36 players in the league. So really how impressive is a top-10 finish out of 36 players? Plus the NHL at that time was lacking a lot of the top talent that was playing in the PCHA and the Western Leagues. There were also 3 of those seasons when Nighbor wasn’t even among the top-10 in scoring in that 36 player league. Playing on the forward line of one of the 4 (or 3) teams gave Nighbor an extremely good chance to finish in the top-10 year after year. As soon as more teams started joining the league (1924-25), Nighbor disappeared from the top-10 scoring charts, although age definitely played a factor here.

It was much harder to consistently finish top 10 in scoring in Kennedy’s time when there was more competition in scoring and ice time had to be shared with 3 lines. In Kennedy’s case, with lines centered by Syl Apps and Max Bentley.

I don’t want to start another long era debate but you guys are pointing to Nighbor being the 3rd best player offensively of his time, and using this as evidence for him being a better player. So Nighbor was the 3rd or 4th (as I believe a case could be made for Denneny) best forward in a league that contained 20 forwards, and was lacking talent from the PCHA and Western Leagues. Kennedy was somewhere in the 5th-10th best forward during his time in a league that had the best 54 forwards in all of NA and included the likes of Howe, Richard, Lindsay. That’s a significant difference in competition, and another factor that leads me to view Kennedy (and Schmidt, Lach, etc.) as better players than Nighbor.

As far as defensive ability, how can you really conclude who was better? Ultimate Hockey’s retro Selkes is a very poor measuring stick, and Nighbor’s reputation seems to come from his poke check. You’ve read that they were both very good so how can you reasonably conclude that one was better than the other? There were other good defensive forwards at Nighbor’s time including Jack Walker, Rusty Crawford, and Louis Berlinquette. He was not obviously the best. On a somewhat related note, Kennedy’s faceoff abilities would probably come in handy quite often throughout the series, and I believe he was clearly a better leader than Nighbor as well.

Another telling example of Kennedy’s extreme importance and his value as a player is that the Leafs won Stanley Cups in ’45, ’47, ’48, and ’49, but during the ’46 season when Ted Kennedy was injured and only played 21 games (playing through the injury, no less), the Leafs missed the playoffs entirely. They had a dynasty those years, but without Kennedy they didn’t even reach the playoffs.

seventieslord mentioned something similar about Nighbor getting injured and the Senators missing the playoffs in 1919. I believe he meant 1918, as the Senators made the playoff and lost in 1919 with Nighbor playing. Taking a closer look at 1918, the Senators had the 3rd best record out of 3 teams through the first half of the season going 5-9 in 14 games and the 2nd best record in the 2nd half going 4-4 in 8 games. Nighbor played in the first 10 games of that season. It looks like unless they started the year 5-5, then overall they actually improved their record that season after Nighbor was injured. Either way, it does not look as though losing him had a great effect on their record.

The same argument could be made against Gordie Howe and Wayne Gretzky. As broad, sweeping arguments go, this one is a loser.

Yes I suppose you could, and I’m sure it’s brought up in Lemieux/Gretzky or Hull/Beliveau debates.

It’s a valid point, especially when you’re bringing up top-10 scoring totals comparing Kennedy/Nighbor’s offensive abilities. It’s a lot easier to be in the top-10 scoring playing on lines with the likes of Broadbent, Cyclone Taylor, Cy Denneny, Mickey Mackay, Hooley Smith, and Jack Darragh than on lines with Vic Lynn and Howie Meeker, or Sid Smith and Mackell/Sloan.

Nighbor also had two of the 3 best defensemen of his era playing behind him in Georges Boucher and Eddie Gerard (Cleghorn also played a few seasons with him) helping his point totals while Kennedy was ‘blessed’ with the core of Jim Thomson, Gus Mortson, Barilko, and Boesch. In a very high scoring era Nighbor also had undoubtedly the best goaltender of the time (Benedict) playing behind him many of those years, hindering the stats of scorers on the opposing 3 teams in the league. This would make a significant difference in a 4 team league. Nighbor had every advantage possible in making his offensive numbers look as good as possible.

You're quoting the great hockey mind Kevyn Adams here in a total fluff piece in which a huge laundry list of players are mentioned. Iginla's speed lies mainly in his first step, which is quite good; he's a classic "power skater". In terms of top-end speed, he's nothing special. I have serious doubts about Iginla's ability to check Delvecchio in transition.

Saying Iginla is a bad skater was simply false, so I picked the first google hit I got for “Iginla fast skater” (something like that). If you want to dismiss this one, I’m sure I can find some more sources for you. It’s quite evident that skating is not a weakness for Iginla at all. Delvecchio was a great skater from what I’ve read but I don’t see him being so good as to have an advantage over Iginla.

Your comparison between Goldham and Pronovost is a masterpiece of mangled context. Goldham was fully in his prime when Pronovost was breaking in with the Wings in his early 20's. Pronovost didn't begin peaking until after Goldham retired. Could Bob Goldham move the puck as well as a raw Marcel Pronovost? Sure, but a 22 year old Marcel Pronovost wouldn't be a good 2nd pairing puckmover, either. Actually, I think you put your finger on it exactly when you said "(Goldham's) numbers aren't so bad." Somewhat like my criticism of Leo Boivin as a primary puckmover on a 2nd pairing, it's not so much that Goldham is incompetent offensively, it's that he's far below the mean for his offensive role in an ATD context. Let's see - Goldham tallied 102 assists in the 50's, which places him 14th among defensemen for the decade. OF course, Goldham retired in 55-56, so maybe looking at his average helps...no, not really. He averaged 15.1 assists, which was good for 17th in the decade, and that's not counting Ken Reardon and Carl Brewer, who played only 1 and 2 seasons in the 50's respectively. Bob Goldham was not a high-end offensive defenseman in the real NHL - he is not even close to a high-end 2nd pairing puckmover in an all-time context.

It’s not a mangled context, Goldham was into his 30’s and towards the end of his career while Marcel Pronovost was in his mid 20’s, and the assist numbers Pronovost put up during those seasons were as good as any he had over the course of his career. He actually had his career high in ’55 and his 3rd best season assist-wise in ’53 so your argument to discredit that point is not very good.

And I’m not trying to sell Goldham as a high end puckmover, he’s clearly a defense-first defenseman, but could quite obviously make a forward pass and quite well from his assist numbers, contrary to the problems you foresee he’d have in transition.

Goldham's resume actually compares quite well to that of Jim Neilson. Both have some all star (both once 2nd teamers) and Norris love (Goldham placed 5th once - Neilson placed top-5 twice, at 4th and 5th), and both were competent but not high-end puckmovers. Goldham's top-10 defensemen scoring finishes go: 2nd, 5th, 8th - though it should be noted that the 2nd place finish was in 45-46, which was still a war year in terms of competitive level in the NHL. Neilson's top-10 defensemen scoring finishes go: 4th, 5th, 8th, 8th. Both were very big for the era (6'2" with Neilson at 205 lbs. and Goldham at 195 lbs. - from the best data I've found), could take the body, and were primarily stay-at-home types who scored by outlet passing. There seems to be very little to seperate Goldham and Neilson in general. In the context of this series, Neilson is a secondary puckmover behind one of the best offensive defensemen you're ever likely to find on an ATD 2nd pairing, and Goldham is skating next to...Edward Ivanov.

I suppose the biggest difference would be the 4 Stanley Cups that Goldham won and played a big part in compared to Neilson’s 0. Goldham was one of only 3 defensemen Detroit had to play the entire ’52 Finals. A series where Montreal scored just 2 goals in 4 games.

“That’s the first year I was up for the whole season (’52). We had Bob Goldham, Red Kelly, Leo Reise and Marcel Pronovost on defense. But in the playoffs, Red Kelly got hurt; broke his hand. And Leo Reise got hurt; he had a bad knee or something. So that left just the three of us. Tommy Ivan didn’t put anyone else out there. They dressed Red Kelly, broken hand and all, for three of the four games, but Goldham and I and Pronovost played pretty much the whole Final against Montreal.” –Benny Woit

Everyone remembers the benching of Gordie Drillon in playing a part of Toronto’s comeback from down 0-3 in games to Detroit in the ’45 Stanley Cup Finals, but another important change Hap Day made was benching Bucko McDonald in favour of playing rookie Bob Goldham.

“Goldham looked on in frustration as his teammates lost 3 straight games to the Red Wings…Hap Day made some desperate moves. He benched scoring ace Gordie Drillon and veteran defenseman Bucko McDonald, and called on Goldham…In game 4, Goldham excelled on defense and the Leafs came from behind for a 4-3 victory. The Leafs added rookie Gaye Stewart to the lineup for game 5 and cruised to a 9-3 win, Goldham contributed a goal and an assist. In game 6, Goldham scored a key goal in a 3-0 win and the series was suddenly even. Detroit took a 1-0 lead into the third period of game 7, but Goldham set up another huge goal en route to a 3-1 win as the Leafs engineered the greatest playoff comeback in NHL history.” –Brian McFarland (The Red Wings)

I know how much you dislike teammate/coach comments so I’ll leave those out. I think his results are good enough.

That quote from Joe Pelletier is about the only thing you've got on Ivanov's offensive abilities, right? Of course it is, because there's nothing much more to say. Ivanov had one shining moment as an offensive producer in the 1964 Olympics, but other than that, appears to have been a fairly unspectacular player in an era (early to mid 60's Europe) of weak competition. There just isn't much to say about Ivanov because there isn't much that we know about him. If the voters want to take a leap of faith that this guy can be the puckmover than Bob Goldham is not, that is up to them.

I’m not counting on Ivanov to provide offense, the Goldham-Ivanov pair are meant to stop goals being scored against us first and foremost, and any offense Ivanov provides is a nice bonus and it’s very likely he would. His offensive numbers are actually quite good for a defensive defenseman too. Ivanov scored 40 goals in 300 Soviet league games. Looking at his contemporaries, Ragulin had 63 goals in 427 games, Davydov had 18 goals in 548 games, and Kuzkin had 71 goals in 530 games. I believe those 4 made up the top 4 Soviet defensemen of the time, and Ivanov’s total stacks up well enough. His International numbers stack up even better and place him first in goals per game among those four defensemen.

Ivanov was a top pairing defenseman with Ragulin and the Soviets went 29-1 in the games he played at the WC/Olympics, and won Gold all 4 years. He could be a better puck mover than Goldham or he could be worse, it’s hard to tell, but either way I don’t think he’s a bad one, and puck moving from the 2nd unit D will not be a problem.

As far as Jan Suchy goes, he was far from a one-dimensional player. In addition to puck-rushing, Suchy also revolutionized shot-blocking in the European game, and had a reputation as a great 2-way player. There are lots of quotes about Suchy's all around greatness, but here is a new one: It comes from the 68-69 World Championships page on this site. For those of you who don't read French, the quote says: "Before the second match (against the USSR), the Czechoslovaks lost Jan Suchy, perhaps the best player of the tournament, who had broken his leg against the Americans." That's right, not only did Suchy win his first Best Defenseman award (and place 10th in tournament scoring) missing part of the tournament with a broken leg, but he was also described as "perhaps the best player of the tournament" (which looks like an understated way of saying that he was the best) in a year in which the top-10 scorers included Firsov, Mikhailov, Holik, Kharlamov, Nedomansky and Maltsev. Jan Suchy did not make his reputation playing Phil Housley hockey.

That says nothing about his play in his own zone, just that he was “perhaps the best player” at a World Championships tournament. I believe you that he wasn’t Housley-esque in his own zone but I also don’t see anything to make me believe he excelled in his own zone either, battling for the puck in the corners or in front of the net, etc.

Suchy’s 1972summit bio also mentions that he was frequently injured from his shotblocking, and your post mentions his broken leg in the tournament. Was he an injury prone player?

You seem to be forgetting Doug Harvey and Bill Cook, as well as Jan Suchy (who scored the opening and game-winning goal against the Soviets in the biggest game in Czechoslovak history) and Vladimir Martinec, who was the undisputed leader of the mid-70's mini-dynasty Czech teams. Ed Sandford actually has a retro Conn-Smythe for what that's worth, and Jim Pappin led the 67 Champion Leafs in scoring by a healthy margin.

I left out Doug Harvey (and Red Kelly) because neither were clearly the best in any one Cup run although they both had years where a would-be Smythe could have gone to them. Bill Cook was never the best player on a Cup winner, as it was quite clearly Frank Boucher in ’28 and Cecil Dillon in ’33. Sandford’s effort was in a losing cause, and I doubt he actually would have won it that year, very debatable, and in ’67 Keon won the Smythe. Even if you cancel out Simpson and Pappin, that still leaves us with Kennedy, Barry, Watson, Walker, and Foyston to perhaps Nighbor.

Apropos nothing, your description of Pappin as "a plugger" is also quite weak. Pappin's top-20 goals finishes go 6th, 14th, 15th, 16th - making him very nearly as good a goal-scorer as Ron Ellis, who I made a point of praising in my last post.

That wasn’t meant as a slight to either player sorry if it sounds like it, I was describing their style of play which does not seem to compliment Irvin at all if you’re expecting him to be a point producer which you were mentioning in your original post.

Regarding Vlad Martinec, his results speak for themselves. Here is Martinec's Czech league MVP voting record:

1st (72-73), 1st (74-75), 1st (75-76), 1st (78-79), 3rd (73-74), 4th (76-77), 5th (79-80), 6th (80-81)

The names of the players against whom Martinec competed for these honors include: Vaclav Nedomansky (for the first few years), Jiri Holecek (his toughest competition), Jiri Holik, Ivan Hlinka, Frantisek Pospisil and Peter Stastny (briefly), among others. Martinec utterly dominated a quality Czechoslovak league during his prime, and backed that up with a run of 4 consecutive IIHF all-star nods (competing against the Soviet Army line, among others) and a Best Forward award in 1976 in which he crushed the field. He was the undisputed leader of the Czechoslovak national team that won back to back world championships in 76 and 77 at the height of Soviet power.

Martinec was chosen in a recent poll in the Czech Republic as the 3rd greatest Czech player in history, behind (predictably) Jagr and Hasek. Jan Suchy was chosen as the 4th best. You can read about it here. Any way you slice it, Martinec's career stands up very well against his European contemporaries. There is a very good argument that he was better than Nedomansky (the Czechs seem to think so), Yakushev and Petrov, and not far below the likes of Maltsev, Mikhailov and Kharlamov. Martinec was the greatest Czech player of his generation almost without a doubt, and the single opponent that the Soviets feared and hated the most.

I'm not going to make a direct comparison between Martinec and Foyston (whose reputation around here is in some ways the product of my own research), at least in part not to waste my time with Spit's strange ad-hominem ramblings about Frank Nighbor and Milan Novy, but mostly because Vladimir Martinec's career stands up well enough on its own, without the need for any kind of comparisons. I think the players are on roughly the same level (and played mostly the same style of game, as well), but that is simply an instinct based on my overall understanding of the history of hockey. When comparing talents from such disparate periods, there is a lot of guesswork involved, and the voters will make up their own minds, at any rate.

All that link says is: “Team of the Century poll published in Friday’s edition of the newspaper Sport. Winger Jaromír Jágr, the most successful Czech player in the history of the NHL, received the most points in the poll, followed by goaltender Dominik Hašek, winger Vladimír Martinec and defender Jan Suchý.”

How credible is that? Do you have the actual results from the poll, or who was answering it? Martinec and Suchy could be listed and Nedomansky omitted because Nedomansky is Slovak. I’m guess that is the case as Stastny is not on there either and it appears to be a Czech article/paper. Overall, not very impressive.

I guess what I meant to say with regards to Milan Novy was that he dominated in the Czech league about as much as Martinec and around the same time, with 3 MVPs, and had the same International success as Martinec. Having success in the Czech league and having to beat the 70’s Soviet teams in one or two games at the World Championships is a lot different than winning a 7 game series, and from the PCHA and Cup series’ that Foyston had great success in. But you’re right, this is a tough one to compare and everyone has to decide for themselves. But be honest Sturm, if Foyston and Martinec are both available when you need to pick your 2nd line RW do you really go with Martinec? He’s was no doubt a great player but I don’t think he was at Foyston’s level.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
You’re wrong about Beliveau and Kennedy only playing one season in the NHL against each other.

Good lord, spit. You're not reading for content today. It's right there in your quote. I said: "Beliveau's 1st full season in the NHL came during Kennedy's last," which is correct. There is exactly one year of overlap between Kennedy and Beliveau in which they can even remotely be considered in their primes - that year is 54-55. Before that, Beliveau was just breaking into the league, and Kennedy's sad 30 game comeback in 56-57 is hardly why he's drafted in the ATD. You seem to be relying on the laziness of the voters in this argument. Here are links to Kennedy and Beliveau's careers. The voters can make up their own minds about it.

You mentioned Nighbor’s top-10 scoring finishes but looking at his numbers in the NHL (I don’t have NHA stats) from 1917-1924 with just 4 teams (and two years only 3 teams) and 9 skaters per team there are only 27-36 players in the league. So really how impressive is a top-10 finish out of 36 players? Plus the NHL at that time was lacking a lot of the top talent that was playing in the PCHA and the Western Leagues. There were also 3 of those seasons when Nighbor wasn’t even among the top-10 in scoring in that 36 player league. Playing on the forward line of one of the 4 (or 3) teams gave Nighbor an extremely good chance to finish in the top-10 year after year. As soon as more teams started joining the league (1924-25), Nighbor disappeared from the top-10 scoring charts, although age definitely played a factor here.

seventies already covered the subject of playoff hockey in Nighbor's era, but I have something to say about the above. Your lack of NHA stats is obviously the problem here, considering that most of Frank Nighbor's prime (as well as that of Lalonde and Malone) was spent in that league. For your benefit, NHA stats are available on Wikipedia - here's the page you need.

Considering that I didn't even bother to mention Nighbor's later scoring feats (which you have decided to criticise) in my analysis of his offensive credentials, your criticism of his post-prime years misses the point badly. My posts analyzing Nighbor's scoring prime can be found here and here. Perhaps you should read them again. To reiterate - Frank Nighbor's offensive value is very similar to that of Bobby Clarke - with almost exactly the same peak and arguably more career value - and this is using pre-merger top-5s as a modern top-10 equivalent (ie. not doing Nighbor any favors).

As far as defensive ability, how can you really conclude who was better? Ultimate Hockey’s retro Selkes is a very poor measuring stick, and Nighbor’s reputation seems to come from his poke check. You’ve read that they were both very good so how can you reasonably conclude that one was better than the other?

Are you actually serious? You can beat on the Ultimate Hockey straw man all day, but considering that I've never quoted UH as a source of anything, I don't see what good it will do you.

There were other good defensive forwards at Nighbor’s time including Jack Walker, Rusty Crawford, and Louis Berlinquette. He was not obviously the best.

Uhm...yes, he was, and there are volumes of quotes to support that statement. I've provided quite a few links already, and I see no reason to offer more here, as I seriously doubt that the voters are as unaware of this information as you seem to be. Bobby Clarke was the Frank Nighbor of his time. That's how it is.

It’s not a mangled context, Goldham was into his 30’s and towards the end of his career while Marcel Pronovost was in his mid 20’s, and the assist numbers Pronovost put up during those seasons were as good as any he had over the course of his career. He actually had his career high in ’55 and his 3rd best season assist-wise in ’53 so your argument to discredit that point is not very good.

What you're not getting here is that Marcel Pronovost, himself, wasn't anything more than an average #3 ATD defenseman offensively. His top-10 defenseman scoring credentials over a long career go: 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 9th, 10th. That's it - and Pronovost didn't start making all star teams (except the midseason team as a member of the Cup winner) until after Goldham's retirement. Goldham's offensive record is what it is: two top-10 finishes outside of the war years.

I suppose the biggest difference would be the 4 Stanley Cups that Goldham won and played a big part in compared to Neilson’s 0.

Yes, and Ken Morrow and Kevin Lowe are better than Jim Neilson too, right? If you have to resort to counting cups, what argument do you really have left?

No comment on your comparison of Edward Ivanov's goal scoring credentials to those of a bunch of very questionable mid-60's stay-at-home defensemen.

That says nothing about his play in his own zone, just that he was “perhaps the best player†at a World Championships tournament. I believe you that he wasn’t Housley-esque in his own zone but I also don’t see anything to make me believe he excelled in his own zone either, battling for the puck in the corners or in front of the net, etc.

Suchy’s 1972summit bio also mentions that he was frequently injured from his shotblocking, and your post mentions his broken leg in the tournament. Was he an injury prone player?

As you're obviously aware of chidlovski's bio of Suchy, I'm wondering how you managed to miss this part:

Never before had anyone in Europe seen a defenseman as complete as Suchy. He could do it all. He was a great skater who could set the pace of a game in the same fashion as a Bobby Orr or Doug Harvey. Suchy was virtually a fourth forward on the ice with his fine technique, vision and skating. He not only excelled offensively but did it defensively as well. Suchy was also a master shotblocker who never hesitated to throw his body in front of a shot. He got injured many times blocking shots. In 561 league games he scored 164+221 = 385 points (351 Pim's).

As for your injury question regarding Suchy, he missed remarkably little time in his career to injury. Games played numbers are somewhat unreliable, but the guy turned in 561 league games in his career (not counting internationals) in a Czech league in which the average games/season was about 40 (it was in the 30's early in Suchy's career and got into the 40's later on), and is still the all-time leading scorer among Czech league defensemen. He probably did get dinged up from time to time blocking shots, just as all defensemen do, but brittle players don't turn in career records like Jan Suchy did.

How credible is that? Do you have the actual results from the poll, or who was answering it?

Kindergardeners and criminals, obviously. Seriously, I wish I had more information on this poll. Nedomansky is not a Slovak, by the way. He is an ethnic Czech who was born close to the Slovak border and played for Slovan Bratislava, presumably because he fell into their geographical sphere of influence. The Stastnys are Slovaks, though it must also be said that Czech fans never got to see Peter Stastny at his best (well, perhaps one season). At any rate, Vaclav Nedomansky is a Czech.

Nedomansky was on the downslope of his career, anyway (he was 30 - and we know how Europeans of this generation performed after 30), when he defected, and his career before defection really doesn't compare too well to Martinec's. It's like arguing that Petrov was better than Kharlamov because he scored more, nevermind that Kharlamov consistently crushed his linemate in end-of-season MVP voting. It's like that when comparing Martinec and Nedomansky's Czechoslovak league careers, and that doesn't address the fact that Martinec has the superior international career.

I guess what I meant to say with regards to Milan Novy was that he dominated in the Czech league about as much as Martinec and around the same time, with 3 MVPs, and had the same International success as Martinec.

Your "arounds" and "abouts" are amazingly broad here. I wonder if you're doing this on purpose, or if you're really lacking in the perspective. Milan Novy won three Golden Stick awards, but the last two of which came in 80/81 and 81/82 in a Czech league that had just been stripped of its top talent due to the decline of Vladimir Martinec and the defection of Peter Stastny. Novy's biggest competition for those last two Golden Sticks was probably Jiri Lala. Who? Exactly. During their respective primes, Martinec beat Novy 4 to 1 in Golden Stick awards.

Novy, himself, is quite underrated, but comparing him to Martinec is silly, and comparing their "international success" is ridiculous. Martinec was a WC all-star 4 consecutive times, and won a Best Forward award (1976) in a year in which he scored 20 points and the 2nd place finisher had 16. Novy was a WC all-star once, also in 1976, playing on a line carried by Vladimir Martinec. It's like saying that Vladimir Shadrin had as much international success as Valeri Kharlamov because they played on the same team.

But be honest Sturm, if Foyston and Martinec are both available when you need to pick your 2nd line RW do you really go with Martinec? He’s was no doubt a great player but I don’t think he was at Foyston’s level.

Frank Foyston was an 11th round pick in ATD#10 before my research - just as underappreciated as Vladimir Martinec was before ATD#11. I think they are very hard to seperate.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
As I've said in the past, the entire line dominated, saying one member was easily better than the rest is silly.

All retro-Smythe discussion is pointless in my opinion. The Retro Conn-Smythe Project has introduced as much distortion into ATD valuations as any single other source - Jack Darragh as scoringline winger being exhibit 1A. It should all be thrown out as the trash that it is. I'm comfortable simply saying that Nighbor played wonderfully in 1915, tied for the lead in points, dominated the clinching game and checked Broadbent to a standstill. I'm not really sure how much a retro award can add to that, anyway.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
The retro smythes are still leaps and bounds better than any retro award done in Ultimate Hockey. These were painstakingly researched. Have you read what went into it? No, I don't want to see us put a ton of emphasis on these either, and I hate that the Smythe is a "you win it or you don't" award with no detailed voting history to go by, but there is some validity in this HHOF/SIHR joint effort.

As for Darragh, his playoff exploits are just gravy. He is a top-50 RW and should be on a scoring line. The 0-0-3-6-9 he earned in my goalscoring study makes him very similar to a Sittler, McKenny, Keats or Keon in that regard. In playmaking, his 1-2-2-2-4 puts him at a Schriner/Bailey/Modano level. That ain't bad.

In regards to Nighbor, his line played very well but he tied for the points lead and played suffocating defense. The accounts of the game in The Trail Of the Stanley Cup leave me with little doubt as to who would have won the Smythe in 1915. It's like if the Wings won the cup and Hossa and Zetterberg ended up tied in points. Which one's going to win the Smythe?

I really objected to a lot of what was said about Nighbor last night and I'm glad Sturm beat me in here to make the case for Nighbor.... again. Sturm, you are absolutely right about him.

And Spitfire, to answer your question, no, I was referring to 1919. Ottawa made the playoffs, and lost the NHL final to Newsy's Habs. Nighbor played two games and then was out with an injury for the final three.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
And Spitfire, to answer your question, no, I was referring to 1919. Ottawa made the playoffs, and lost the NHL final to Newsy's Habs. Nighbor played two games and then was out with an injury for the final three.

Ah I see, but you're going to have to explain this a little more as I don't have a copy of the Trail. It appears as though Ottawa lost the first 2 games of that series 8-4 and 5-3. Then you say Nighbor is out for the final 3 games with injury. The Senators lose the 3rd game 5-3, then actually won the 4th game 6-3, and lost the final 5th game 4-2. So what difference did losing Nighbor make? None it appears. They actually did better without him (12-11 in goals for Montreal) than they did with him (13-7 in goals for Montreal).

And also, how can the 1918 season be explained? It does appear like the Senators improved their record after losing Nighbor that year as well.

Neither of these are at all as impressive or as telling as Kennedy and the whole '46 season for the Leafs. They actually make Nighbor look worse as far as the results show.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
That's a very fair point. I admit I hadn't researched that series to that degree. I now wish I had. Sturm has brought this series up many times when bringing Lalonde's playoff record "down to earth", so to speak, and you're right that the goals and W/L figures for that series don't really suggest that losing Nighbor was a turning point in the series. The only game they won was without him...

I'll defer to Sturm on this one because this is his series. I'm mainly here because of the great deal of interest I have in Nighbor. Very strong point, though, Spitfire.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
70's, you're getting the 1919 Ottawa-Montreal NHL playoff series all kinds of backwards. Nighbor missed the first three games on bereavement leave due to a family problem (still no idea what it was...I assumed it was a death, but nothing says that specifically and it could have been something else), and came back for the final two games, in which Ottawa actually outscored the Habs 8 goals to 7 (although eventually losing) after getting owned 18-10 over the first three. What that says about Nighbor's impact on those Sens should be clear enough. The fact that Ottawa won big in game 4, Nighbor's return to the ice, after getting crushed over the first three matches, is also pretty interesting.

Here are your sources:

1918/19: Punch Broadbent, who had won the Military Cross overseas, during World War I, returned to the Senators in time for the last game of the first half of the season. The return of Broadbent helped the Senators turn it completely around as they finished the season with the best overall record at 12-6 with Frank Nighbor and Cy Denney led the team with 22 goals apiece. Along the way the Duke of Devonshire attended the December 27th game, marking the first time the Governor-General had appeared at a hockey game since the outbreak of the World War I. However, in the NHL Championship the Senators would be thwarted by the Montreal Canadiens in 5 games, as Frank Nighbor missed the first 3 games due to a family emergency.

from sportsencyclopedia.com.

With the NHL down to two teams - not coincidently its two halves winners - a best of seven series was set to decide the league champion for 1919. The Canadiens, without Malone, would defeat the Senators four games to one. Ottawa, deprived of leading scorer Frank Nighbor for a family bereavement, were no match for Montreal.

from eyesontheprize.com.

Did you really think I'd reference that 1919 series so often if the Sens had played better without Nighbor?!

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Did you really think I'd reference that 1919 series so often if the Sens had played better without Nighbor?!

No, not really. It had me wondering, though. This makes a lot more sense. Thanks for posting this. I could have checked this out in The Trail later, as the game-by-game lineups are there, but hadn't researched the series that intently before. I also thought Nighbor was out after being roughed up by Lalonde; this must have been a different series. When I see a player played two games of a five-game series my first instinct is that he played the first two - clearly, that was backwards in this case.

So they went from 3.3 GF and 6.0 GA without him, to 3.5 GF and 4.5 GA without him. Tiny sample size, but very indicative of his value.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
While I'm certainly in favour of Nighbor getting more praise, I don't like to see the "knocking" of Kennedy that goes with it. Kennedy seems to be very underrated in the HOH Top 100, and even more in this discussion.

Kennedy was not a great skater, but he got the job done better than many a better skater.

Both Apps and Bentley are better skaters with more offensive skill. How do they compare to their teammate Kennedy during their time together?

Apps and Kennedy 42-43, 45-48
Player|GP|G|A|Pts|GP|G|A|Pts
Apps|178|98|84|182|20|9|5|14
Kennedy|143|56|56|112|20|12|11|23

The above is distorted a bit by Kennedy only playing two game in 42-43 and being injured during 45-46. Here is only the 46-47 and 47-48 seasons.

Apps and Kennedy 46-47 & 47-48
Apps|109|51|51|102|20|9|5|14
Kennedy|120|53|53|106|20|12|11|23

Bentley and Kennedy 47-53
Bentley|360|125|137|262|40|14|24|38
Kennedy|348|114|165|279|40|15|19|34

Apps, Bentley and Kennedy 47-48 season only
Apps|55|26|27|53|9|4|4|8
Bentley|59|26|28|54|9|4|7|11
Kennedy|60|25|21|46|9|8|6|14

Bentley's numbers include his 6-3-3-6 record with Chicago before the trade to Toronto.

Clutch scoring: Teeder scored 5 GWG in the Finals for one quarter of the teams total.

Finals Scoring on First* & Game Winning goals
Player|Goals|Assists|Points|First G|First A|First Pts%|GWG|GWA|GWPts%
Syl Apps|9|11|20|2|4|30%|1|1|10%
Max Bentley|4|10|14|2|4|42.6%|1|2|21.4%
Ted Kennedy|12|11|23|4|6|43.5%|5|1|26.1%

Bentley played in 3 finals, while Apps and Kennedy played in 5 each.

*First goal refers to the teams first goal of the game, not necessarily the overall first goal of the game.

Kennedy isn't taking a backseat to Apps or Bentley offensively and is scoring the more critical goals in the playoffs. I see no reason to expect him to take a backseat to Nighbor.

I'll agree that Nighbor is a better man-to-man or one-on-one defender, Kennedy's work ethic is going to make up for it in most game situations. His being one of the all-time greats on face-offs is also a large plus on his side.

Last edited:

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
While I'm certainly in favour of Nighbor getting more praise, I don't like to see the "knocking" of Kennedy that goes with it. Kennedy seems to be very underrated in the HOH Top 100, and even more in this discussion.

Saying that Kennedy is inferior to Nighbor is not an insult to Kennedy, who was a great player in his own right. Ted Kennedy is inferior to 60-70 other players in hockey history, as well. If I said Bobby Clarke is better than Peter Forsberg, would you feel the need to defend Forsberg? In terms of relative values, it's about the same comparison, and I think you know that.

Both Apps and Bentley are better skaters with more offensive skill. How do they compare to their teammate Kennedy during their time together? The above is distorted a bit by Kennedy only playing two game in 42-43 and being injured during 45-46. Here is only the 46-47 and 47-48 seasons.

There are quite a few problems with this cross section, BM, the least of which being sample size. First, you've got the years somewhat mixed up. Bentley was traded to Toronto after the first six games of the 47-48 season, and played in Chicago for all of 46-47. I'm sure that was just a typo. More importantly, perhaps, is that Magic Max's best years were behind him already when he left the Hawks, either because he was relegated to 3rd line icetime in Toronto or because he slipped somewhat athletically. Starting in 47-48 (the year of the trade), out of the seven seasons Max still had in his legs, he was a top-10 scorer only twice.

You are attempting to make a favorable comparison using the Bentley brand name and the offensive credentials that come with it, but the player to whom you're comparing Kennedy in this case is not the back-to-back Art Ross winner. Ted Kennedy was a top-10 scorer 4 times in his career, peaking at 4th overall. His offensive resume is inferior to quite a few 2nd liners in this draft. He makes up for that relative weakness with great playoff performances and a huge sackful of intangibles, but Kennedy's mediocre skill level (by 1st line ATD standards) is what it is, and cannot be massaged away through narrow analysis. Frank Nighbor was the better offensive player by a healthy margin, easily the better defensive player, and was a great playoff performer and leader in his own right. In the history of hockey, Frank Nighbor exists in an entirely different (and higher) stratum than Ted Kennedy, per the Clarke/Forsberg comparison above.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
So they went from 3.3 GF and 6.0 GA without him, to 3.5 GF and 4.5 GA without him. Tiny sample size, but very indicative of his value.

You mean:

- without Nighbor: 3.3 goals for average // 6.0 goals against average [games 1, 2 and 3]

- with Nighbor: 4 goals for average // 3.5 goals against average [games 4 and 5]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is a small sample size, but it is also a huge difference, specifically on the defensive side, where a Sens team packed with great defensive players (Benedict, Cleghorn, Gerard, etc.) seems to be completely lost without their center and best player.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I love Kennedy as much as the next guy, but Sturm is absolutely right on this one. It is the "great playoff performances and a huge sackful of intangibles" that even got him on the HOH top-100 list, not his relatively weak regular season credentials. You can say he's underrated on that list, and he may be, but Nighbor is even more underrated there.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
Saying that Kennedy is inferior to Nighbor is not an insult to Kennedy, who was a great player in his own right. Ted Kennedy is inferior to 60-70 other players in hockey history, as well. If I said Bobby Clarke is better than Peter Forsberg, would you feel the need to defend Forsberg? In terms of relative values, it's about the same comparison, and I think you know that.

There are quite a few problems with this cross section, BM, the least of which being sample size. First, you've got the years somewhat mixed up. Bentley was traded to Toronto after the first six games of the 47-48 season, and played in Chicago for all of 46-47. I'm sure that was just a typo. More importantly, perhaps, is that Magic Max's best years were behind him already when he left the Hawks, either because he was relegated to 3rd line icetime in Toronto or because he slipped somewhat athletically. Starting in 47-48 (the year of the trade), out of the seven seasons Max still had in his legs, he was a top-10 scorer only twice.

You are attempting to make a favorable comparison using the Bentley brand name and the offensive credentials that come with it, but the player to whom you're comparing Kennedy in this case is not the back-to-back Art Ross winner. Ted Kennedy was a top-10 scorer 4 times in his career, peaking at 4th overall. His offensive resume is inferior to quite a few 2nd liners in this draft. He makes up for that relative weakness with great playoff performances and a huge sackful of intangibles, but Kennedy's mediocre skill level (by 1st line ATD standards) is what it is, and cannot be massaged away through narrow analysis. Frank Nighbor was the better offensive player by a healthy margin, easily the better defensive player, and was a great playoff performer and leader in his own right. In the history of hockey, Frank Nighbor exists in an entirely different (and higher) stratum than Ted Kennedy, per the Clarke/Forsberg comparison above.

I've added bolded labels as you seem to be confused that Bentley and Kennedy seem to have played 360 games in 46-47 & 47-48.

I'm sure that the fact that Bentley was relegated to the third line behind Kennedy for half his career is a sure sign that he is one of those 60-70 players better than Kennedy.

Kennedy had his numbers held back by playing on the same team with Apps and/or Bentley for most of his career, while Nighbor played virtually the entire game for most of his career.

You dismiss a handful of seasons as a small sample size, but hold up a handful of games in one series without much hesitation.

Every advantage Kennedy has is marginal next to Nighbor's regular season scoring record? Teeder is the better face-off man, leader, playoff and clutch scorer, and is in fact one of the all-time best in all of those categories. Just because Nighbor doesn't suck in most of these areas, they don't count as advantages?

How about Kennedy is the Clarke of his time?

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
I've added bolded labels as you seem to be confused that Bentley and Kennedy seem to have played 360 games in 46-47 & 47-48.

I remain confused by the entire layout and description of your tables.

I'm sure that the fact that Bentley was relegated to the third line behind Kennedy for half his career is a sure sign that he is one of those 60-70 players better than Kennedy.

I do not believe that Max Bentley was better, overall, than Ted Kennedy, but then I don't hugely overrate the Bentleys like some do. As a scorer during his prime, Bentley was better, but that is as far as I will go. As far as line assignments go...Kennedy was the incumbent. Surely you understand why Kennedy didn't get bumped to the 3rd line.

Kennedy had his numbers held back by playing on the same team with Apps and/or Bentley for most of his career, while Nighbor played virtually the entire game for most of his career.

Just what are you trying to accomplish here, BM? Argument for argument's sake? Nighbor played the same portion of the game that all stars of that era played. Using that as an argument against him is tantamount to an indictment of the entire era, and is really a position beneath a person of your knowledge. Exactly why should we believe that playing with other great centers hurt Kennedy's numbers? Did it hurt Gretzky and Messier, Sakic and Forsberg, Beliveau and Richard, etc.? No, most likely it helped at least the 2nd liner because he got less checking attention than he'd have gotten as a top line pivot. It is entirely possible that Kennedy's offensive numbers would have been worse without Apps and/or Bentley. Why you aren't grasping that point is beyond me.

You dismiss a handful of seasons as a small sample size, but hold up a handful of games in one series without much hesitation.

I admitted plainly that it is a small sample size, and in fact did not bring up the point. 70's brought that series up and then got things horribly confused. I'd have been a fool to not address the issue. It's rather cheap to criticize me for simply correcting a mistake put forth by someone else.

Every advantage Kennedy has is marginal next to Nighbor's regular season scoring record? Teeder is the better face-off man, leader, playoff and clutch scorer, and is in fact one of the all-time best in all of those categories. Just because Nighbor doesn't suck in most of these areas, they don't count as advantages?

You seem to be completely ignoring Nighbor's defensive value, which is arguably that of the single greatest defensive forward of all time - an argument for which there is ample and convincing evidence. There is zero evidence that Kennedy, although a solid checker in his own right, is anywhere near this level.

Kennedy's advantages over Nighbor are in the realm of intangibles, and not particularly big ones, at that. Nighbor is easily the better offensive and defensive player. To put that another way: he is the better hockey player. Kennedy's intangibles are only worth so much when compared to a player of clearly superior skill who was far from lacking in intangibles, himself.

How about Kennedy is the Clarke of his time?

Except that he wasn't. The difference in offensive production is there for all to see, and we have no reason to believe that Kennedy was even close to Clarke's level defensively. I find it amazing that two sharp guys like BM and Spit are trying so hard to gloss over the large difference in defensive value between Ted Kennedy and Nighbor/Clarke, as if Nighbor's defensive value is somehow of the same relevance as Kennedy's faceoff skills.

Defensive value >>>>> faceoff value, physicality, etc.

Kennedy's only serious advantage over Nighbor is postseason performances, but even that is not pronounced considering just how good Nighbor was in this area. Nighbor's advantages in both scoring and defending are medium to large, to say nothing of skating. He was simply the better player.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
seventies already covered the subject of playoff hockey in Nighbor's era, but I have something to say about the above. Your lack of NHA stats is obviously the problem here, considering that most of Frank Nighbor's prime (as well as that of Lalonde and Malone) was spent in that league. For your benefit, NHA stats are available on Wikipedia - here's the page you need

Considering that I didn't even bother to mention Nighbor's later scoring feats (which you have decided to criticise) in my analysis of his offensive credentials, your criticism of his post-prime years misses the point badly. My posts analyzing Nighbor's scoring prime can be found here and here. Perhaps you should read them again. To reiterate - Frank Nighbor's offensive value is very similar to that of Bobby Clarke - with almost exactly the same peak and arguably more career value - and this is using pre-merger top-5s as a modern top-10 equivalent (ie. not doing Nighbor any favors).

I mentioned his later stats because he does go on to play almost an entire decade and win 2 of his Stanley Cups after you declare his prime is over. But I’ll go along and take a look at his ‘prime years’ you posted about, with the help of wiki’s NHA/PCHA stats.

So it starts in 1912-13 where he finished tied for 4th in league scoring. This was a fairly competitive year as 4 of the 6 teams were within a game of .500 and the league had quality goaltenders. The only criticism I can give Nighbor here is that overall the offensive talent was not very good as he places behind Malone, Hyland, and Tommy Smith, and a goal a head of Pitre with Broadbent, Don Smith, Davidson, and Skene Ronan rounding out the top 10. It had some elite talent (which Nighbor placed near the bottom among) but was not overly deep. Overall though, this year is a very good one especially considering he was on Toronto and did not have as strong a supporting cast.

1913-1914 in the PCHA with just 3 teams (27 players), Nighbor plays 11 games and finished with 10 goals. The league leaders only played 13-16 games with Sibby Nicholls scoring 13 goals in 13 games and finishing 7th in league scoring. That’s most likely the highest Nighbor would have reached as he’d have to score 3 goals in those 2 extra games which is better than his overall gpg. The rest of the top 10 scoring includes Dunderdale, Oatman, Kerr, Mallen, Cyclone, McDonald, Harris, Nicholls. A good amout of lesser name players here. Not an impressive list, and not an impressive year for Nighbor.

1914-1915 wikipedia has deprived me of the top-10 scoring list for the PCHA, but your post mentions Nighbor finished 7th in scoring. This was in a 4 team league and I doubt the level of talent improved much from the previous season. Again, Nighbor was on a stacked team including Cyclone Taylor, McKay, Stanley, Griffis, etc. This year doesn’t look very good either.

1915-1916 Nighbor returns to the NHA and finished 7th in scoring, in the bottom half of the top10 and just a goal a head of Corb Denneny and Crawford, who both played a game less than Nighbor.

1916-17 looks like a strange year all-around with 2 of the 6 teams dropping out of the league halfway through, leaving Ottawa and the Canadiens with the bottom two teams from the 1st half of the year. There are also some obscure goaltenders in the league. Nighbor finishes tied for 1st in the league in goals with Joe Malone and this looks like his big year. I thought it looked odd that those two were at 41 goals and so far a head of everyone else around 28. Both Toronto teams dropping out of the league midseason helped take some of the competition out of the scoring race. No doubt games like Ottawa’s 16-1 win over Quebec and Quebec’s 17-6 game helped their stats out too. Nighbor’s numbers can also be explained by Ottawa (Nighbor’s team) having Clint Benedict in net. It looks like the other goalies in the league included Georges Vezina, Bert Lindsay, Sam Hebert, Lockheart (they don’t even give a 1st name). No wonder Nighbor’s goal scoring was so high this season. Then looking at Nighbor’s competition, he beats Lalonde and the top 10 is rounded out by Odie Cleghorn, Darragh, Pitre, Ritchie, Corb Denneny, Gerard, and Oatman. The final standings show that Quebec and Ottawa finished 1st with the other two teams well behind. There just wasn’t much competition in the NHA. This looks like a poor year talent-wise, and it’s Nighbor’s best.

Still, he finishes well a head of Lalonde which is big. The Canadiens have a strange year finishing the 1st half of the season in 1st place, then falling to 3rd out of 4 teams in the 2nd half when the league loses the Toronto teams. They had Lalonde and Vezina all the way so what happened to them? There’s probably some explanation for Lalonde’s year as he’s consistently above Nighbor throughout their careers but far behind this year. It's not a factor, but it is worth noting that Lalonde is 5 years older than Nighbor, and 29 years old at this time. A year older than Nighbor will be when his prime finishes.

1917-18 was his 10 game season I’ve been discussing with seventieslord. After taking a closer look, the Senators go 4-6 in the first 10 games and 4-6 in the last 10 games. Either way they go 5-7 the rest of the way. It’s a small difference in their record with/without him either way unless Nighbor played on/off throughout the year. Again, without the Trail I can’t check this out. It looks like he was replaced with Dave Ritchie, and the difference in the Senator’s record is not big, the 5-7 is actually slightly better.

1918-1919 Nigbor gets surrounded by an elite team as Ottawa adds Sprague Cleghorn and Broadbent returns. The 3rd team in the league is Toronto lead by Alf Skinner and Ken Randall, they are hardly a factor in this season, far behind in the standings. Nighbor finishes 3rd in scoring but he’s behind the top two scorers from the only other competitive team in the league – Montreal with Lalonde and Odie Cleghorn. He’s a head of the usual Darragh, Pitre, Skinner, but also Cy Denneny in his 2nd season.

1919-20 looks pretty good as he finishes 3rd, but again he’s behind the elite talent (Malone, Lalonde) and a head of secondary stars Corb Denneny, Darragh, Noble, Amos Arbour, Cully Wilson, and Pitre.

1920-21 Nighbor finishes 5th in scoring, and far behind the elite talent with his 29 points behind 4th place Malone at 37 points. His total is above Noble, Cameron, Prodgers, Corb Denneny, and Darragh.

So there’s an overview of his prime according to your post. He played in a unique period with teams dropping out in the middle of the seasons and talent spread across 2 (and later 3) leagues. In both the NHL and PCHA he was rarely near the very top of the scoring chart, and where would he be placing if the leagues were added together? I realize this is only scoring and not taking Nighbor’s intangibles into consideration, and for the pre-NHL years there are no assist totals. I can see where you come up with the Bobby Clarke comparison.

But overall he’s about the 4th best scorer of his era, behind Malone, Lalonde, Taylor. The top players he is clearly above year after year are Pitre, Darragh, Corb Denneny, and Broadbent. Great players, but it’s just not same as the names Clarke, Schmidt, Kennedy, etc. are surrounded by. People (yourself included) like to take away credit from accomplishments during the “war years” due to the lesser competition but look at the competition Nighbor was up against when having his big scoring years. It’s not much different, especially when a lot of talent is playing in the PCHA. Nighbor is always, with the exception of one questionable year, behind the elite talent.

Consider that defensemen very rarely appear in the top 10 scoring charts during this time, and the subs hardly ever played. In a 3 team league Nighbor is competing with just 9 players in the scoring race, 12 players in a 4 team league. That’s it. It's something to think about.

In the end it comes back to competition and how you see this era stack up to the rest. Nighbor played in a 3 or 4 team league with many years not having a lot of parody as 1 or 2 teams are far behind the others, and Nighbor was always on one of the top teams (excluding 12-13) throughout his career. Coming from this time, and being the 4th-5th best player, I don’t believe he belongs close to Bobby Clarke or above so many of the great original six players, but if you view this era as being equal to all the others then I suppose you have him about where he belongs.

Another factor in Nighbor/Kennedy is that every single year Nighbor won the Cup he was on the top team in the league. Only one of Kennedy’s 5 Cups was with the best team during the season. He could step up and bring his team Cup wins against the likes of the late 40s/50s Canadiens and Red Wings, where as Nighbor was playing on what was always the season champion and clearly the best team in the league every time, stacked with Benedict, Cleghorn, Boucher, Gerard, Broadbent, Darragh, and Cy Denneny.

Uhm...yes, he was, and there are volumes of quotes to support that statement. I've provided quite a few links already, and I see no reason to offer more here, as I seriously doubt that the voters are as unaware of this information as you seem to be. Bobby Clarke was the Frank Nighbor of his time. That's how it is.

Does the Trail not also praise the defensive ability of Jack Walker, and his shutting down Newsy Lalonde in the ’17 Cup series? It’s the only bad series Lalonde had, I think it’s debatable Nighbor was better.

Even if we consider Nighbor the best forward of his time defensively, there is still the fact that there were no checking line players or players that devoted their games to shutting down scorers in Nighbor’s time. Nighbor was a top defensive forward from a league of scoring forwards while Kennedy is competing with players like Klukay, Pavlich, and Metz for that distinction. So saying “Nighbor was the best of his time and is therefore clearly better” is not a fair statement to Kennedy, and others. If you compare Kennedy to just the scoring forwards from his time, then he’s at the very top with Schmidt.

What you're not getting here is that Marcel Pronovost, himself, wasn't anything more than an average #3 ATD defenseman offensively. His top-10 defenseman scoring credentials over a long career go: 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 9th, 10th. That's it - and Pronovost didn't start making all star teams (except the midseason team as a member of the Cup winner) until after Goldham's retirement. Goldham's offensive record is what it is: two top-10 finishes outside of the war years.

This whole discussion started from your belief that Goldham cannot move the puck and my 2nd unit would suffer in transition. As I’ve said multiple times, I’m not trying to prove he would be a good defenseman offensively in the ATD. I’ve been trying to disprove the belief that he’d be bad in transition, which I believe I already have at this point. And looking at points isn’t exactly fair, as Goldham wasn’t a rusher, and we were debating his effectiveness in transition. Among defensemen assist totals he finished 5th, 7th, 9th, 9th, 9th outside of the war years, which is pretty good for a stay at home defenseman who likely wouldn’t have seen any PP time.

Yes, and Ken Morrow and Kevin Lowe are better than Jim Neilson too, right? If you have to resort to counting cups, what argument do you really have left?

I wasn’t just counting Cups. If you read those pieces it’s obvious Goldham was a huge part of those Cup winning teams. You don’t like Cup results or quotes, so as a defensive defenseman from the 40’s/50’s there isn’t much else to use. You brought up Norris voting, but the Norris was only around for Goldham’s last 3 seasons in the league. In 53-54 only the top 2 are listed in voting results (Kelly and Harvey). In 54-55 Goldham is 4th behind Harvey, Kelly, and Flaman. And in 55-56 Goldham’s last year in the league, Harvey, Gadsby, Kelly, Johnson, and Flaman are the top 5.

No comment on your comparison of Edward Ivanov's goal scoring credentials to those of a bunch of very questionable mid-60's stay-at-home defensemen.

They were the best defensemen in the Soviet league at Ivanov’s time and all were taken in the ATD. They might have all been stay-at-home defensemen, but so was Ivanov. What other comparison am I supposed to use for a player who played in the Soviet league? I don’t know where to find WC/Olympic stats for defensemen to compare with the Czechs, but his International competition number are the best of the Soviet defensemen too.

As you're obviously aware of chidlovski's bio of Suchy, I'm wondering how you managed to miss this part:

Yes, it says he “also excelled defensively”, but how so? I never said he was weak defensively, just looking for an idea of how he played in his zone, or who his style could compare to. Does my 2nd line actually have a problem not having a top ‘digger’ like you claimed, if it’s Suchy they’re battling for the puck with?

Kindergardeners and criminals, obviously. Seriously, I wish I had more information on this poll. Nedomansky is not a Slovak, by the way. He is an ethnic Czech who was born close to the Slovak border and played for Slovan Bratislava, presumably because he fell into their geographical sphere of influence. The Stastnys are Slovaks, though it must also be said that Czech fans never got to see Peter Stastny at his best (well, perhaps one season). At any rate, Vaclav Nedomansky is a Czech.

Nedomansky is an inaugural inductee into the Slovak Hockey Hall of Fame (with Mikita and Stastny ie not just because he played in Bratislava), is he even in the Czech Hall of Fame? He might have been Czech by birth/blood/whatever but his wikipedia page mentions that he manages a Slovak national team, and that he claims to feel more Slovak though with no reference note (can’t believe we’re debating this, heh). Either way, it’s not far-fetched to think this newspaper omitted him from this poll of all-time Czechs. But we have no way of knowing, and we still don’t know who was being polled anyways. People can take it for what it’s worth I suppose.

Your "arounds" and "abouts" are amazingly broad here. I wonder if you're doing this on purpose, or if you're really lacking in the perspective. Milan Novy won three Golden Stick awards, but the last two of which came in 80/81 and 81/82 in a Czech league that had just been stripped of its top talent due to the decline of Vladimir Martinec and the defection of Peter Stastny. Novy's biggest competition for those last two Golden Sticks was probably Jiri Lala. Who? Exactly. During their respective primes, Martinec beat Novy 4 to 1 in Golden Stick awards.

Novy, himself, is quite underrated, but comparing him to Martinec is silly, and comparing their "international success" is ridiculous. Martinec was a WC all-star 4 consecutive times, and won a Best Forward award (1976) in a year in which he scored 20 points and the 2nd place finisher had 16. Novy was a WC all-star once, also in 1976, playing on a line carried by Vladimir Martinec. It's like saying that Vladimir Shadrin had as much international success as Valeri Kharlamov because they played on the same team.

By international success I was referring to Czechoslovakia’s medals over the Soviets, I should have been more specific. However, you did manage to leave out that Novy also made the ’76 Canada Cup all-star team and was named the Czech’s MVP in a tournament Martinec participated in, so although Martinec was the best player on that line he wasn’t exactly carrying it every time they played in the WC. As for Novy’s Golden Stick awards, you make a good point, and Martinec dominates him there 4-1. Novy has a big advantage with 4 Championships, and 6 scoring titles in the Czech league to Martinec’s 1 championship and 0 scoring titles though. But regardless, you’re right that Martinec is the best from a group of Holik, Hlinka, and Novy.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
As for his playoff record, Nighbor certainly would have won the Smythe if it existed in 1915, and was stellar in 1920. And look what happened to Ottawa when he was out with an injury in 1919.... annihilation. I agree that on the surface, his totals don't look so great (33 pts in 39 games) but look at it relatively. It was like that all over the pre-merger world. Nighbor is right there among Malone, Lalonde, Taylor, and Foyston as the best playoff performers of the era. With so few teams making the playoffs and short two-game/total-goals series being the norm, it's only natural that you'll see a few 2-0-0-0 and 2-0-1-1 seasons on any great player's record.

I think you're cutting him too much slack here. They all have a 2-0-0-0 or two yes, but you do not see these bad 5-0-1-1 and 6-1-1-2 showings by Lalonde (except in 1917 against Walker) or Malone who were 5 and 3 years older than Nighbor respectively. Darragh doesn't have these poor showings, neither does Foyston until he's 34 years old. Taylor only has the bad '21 playoff but he's 35 years old at that point. Even Jack Walker has a much better playoff record and he's 5 years older at the same times. Pitre has a better record as well. At any rate, I think it's quite safe to say that Nighbor's clearly well behind Kennedy in his playoff play.

As for a '15 MVP, Cyclone was at LW but had played D and rover previously, was he not good defensively as well in that series?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I think you're cutting him too much slack here. They all have a 2-0-0-0 or two yes, but you do not see these bad 5-0-1-1 and 6-1-1-2 showings by Lalonde (except in 1917 against Walker) or Malone who were 5 and 3 years older than Nighbor respectively.

and when you total things all up, he's still at 41-16-19-35, right in the same range as guys like these, especially considering the age he played until, and the larger sample size that would facilitate a player's numbers coming back down to earth (i.e. a point per game for 40 games > a point per game for 20 games)

Darragh doesn't have these poor showings, neither does Foyston until he's 34 years old. Taylor only has the bad '21 playoff but he's 35 years old at that point. Even Jack Walker has a much better playoff record and he's 5 years older at the same times. Pitre has a better record as well.

Taylor had a couple more bad playoffs too, but like you said, he's 35 at the time. Of course, Nighbor was 34 when he posted the 6-1-1-2, so.......

Foyston was a prime-time pleyoff goalscorer for sure. 34-6-40 in 49 games. You could say he's a better playoff performer than Nighbor, if you completely disregard defense.

However, I fail to see how:

Pitre's 27-13-9-22,
Walker's 38-15-11-24, or
Darragh's 30-19-2-21

are better than Nighbor's 41-16-19-35. He has the highest points-per-game out of any of them, despite being at two disadvantages: He played many more playoff games past his prime than any of them, and assists were given out much more sparsely, unlike today (playmakers, as you know, don't always look great in points lists until about 1940)

At any rate, I think it's quite safe to say that Nighbor's clearly well behind Kennedy in his playoff play.

So is just about everybody who ever played hockey, though, right?

As for a '15 MVP, Cyclone was at LW but had played D and rover previously, was he not good defensively as well in that series?

I have no idea how great Taylor was defensively in that series. What I do know is that The Trail states how important Nighbor's defensive play was to the outcome of that series, that Taylor's defensive play was not mentioned and is rarely, if ever, mentioned in that or other sources, and that the two tied in points. If Taylor's defensive work was important at all, I have to think the book would have mentioned it. Nighbor, to me, is the clear MVP that year.

-----------------

A couple notes about your large post up above:

- You're talking about goals only? Of course Nighbor's not going to look that great. He was a good goalscorer, but there were plenty better. He was the 2nd-best playmaker of the era, after Taylor.

- As I alluded to above, looking solely at points denigrates a playmaker like Nighbor. There definitely were assist totals, though. (see hockey-reference.com, legendsofhockey.net) - the problem is, getting actual leaderboards can only be done by being an SIHR member. So let me help with that:

From 1914 and onwards, here are Nighbor's top-10 finishes in assists:
9th, 6th, 9th, 3rd, 6th, 3rd, 1st, 3rd, 8th, DNF, 3rd, DNF, 1st.

My "consistency in playmaking" thread assumes a merged league prior to 1926 so as not to "do Nighbor any favours" as Sturm says, and he ends up with 2 top-2s, 5 top-5s, 7 top-10s, and 11 top-20s. This is based on all leagues, not just the one Nighbor played in. This is an excellent record; almost identical to Bobby Clarke or Henri Richard.

So anyway, if you just look at points you're not getting the whole picture for a pre-1940 player, and if you just look at goals, then you're going to distort it even further.

Last, I just wanted to point out that I object to the whole "small league" argument. The leagues back then were small, but that was the highest level hockey being played at the time. If there were only 50-60 players combined in those leagues they were among the 50-60 very best in all of organized hockey. If the league doubled in size, the best players would still be the best. I hope you aren't trying to project 5th out of 30 players to 50th out of 300. I certainly don't think it works that way.

Besides, couldn't the same things be said about Frank Foyston and Jack Walker to downplay their accomplishments?

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Taylor had a couple more bad playoffs too, but like you said, he's 35 at the time. Of course, Nighbor was 34 when he posted the 6-1-1-2, so.......

I was referring to 22-23 when he was 30, not the Cup series in '27.

However, I fail to see how:

Pitre's 27-13-9-22,
Walker's 38-15-11-24, or
Darragh's 30-19-2-21

are better than Nighbor's 41-16-19-35. He has the highest points-per-game out of any of them, despite being at two disadvantages: He played many more playoff games past his prime than any of them, and assists were given out much more sparsely, unlike today (playmakers, as you know, don't always look great in points lists until about 1940)

His stats look a lot better when you add in league playoff games. I was only referring to Cup series stats earlier. But reading your post, I don't think Nighbor played more games than any of these players past his prime. Darragh was born in 1890, Walker in 1888, and Pitre in way back in 1883. Heck, Pitre was already 33+ in 25 of those 27 games. Walker played 36 playoff games at 30+, and Darragh is about even with Nighbor playing 16 of those games at 30+. Nighbor played 18 of those games at 30+. Nighbor actually has an advantage over all three of them here in playing less playoff games past his prime. Foyston only played 8 games at 30+ so Nighbor did play more playoff games past his prime than him.

Looking at playoff games 30 and under, he doesn't look to be much better:

Foyston 27-32-6-38
Nighbor 29-15-17-32
Pitre ----
Darragh 14-8-0-8 (his best playoff years came after turning 30)
Walker 14-11-2-13 (several years do not record assists, and he had good years after 30)

I have no idea how great Taylor was defensively in that series. What I do know is that The Trail states how important Nighbor's defensive play was to the outcome of that series, that Taylor's defensive play was not mentioned and is rarely, if ever, mentioned in that or other sources, and that the two tied in points. If Taylor's defensive work was important at all, I have to think the book would have mentioned it. Nighbor, to me, is the clear MVP that year.

That's fair enough. Do you have the Senators roster/stats from that series by any chance? Who was the C he was shutting down?

--------------

- You're talking about goals only? Of course Nighbor's not going to look that great. He was a good goalscorer, but there were plenty better. He was the 2nd-best playmaker of the era, after Taylor.

Only for the years when assists were unavailable through wiki, so pre-NHL, yes. The rest are point totals.

- As I alluded to above, looking solely at points denigrates a playmaker like Nighbor. There definitely were assist totals, though. (see hockey-reference.com, legendsofhockey.net) - the problem is, getting actual leaderboards can only be done by being an SIHR member. So let me help with that:

From 1914 and onwards, here are Nighbor's top-10 finishes in assists:
9th, 6th, 9th, 3rd, 6th, 3rd, 1st, 3rd, 8th, DNF, 3rd, DNF, 1st.

So are these using some method to combine the two leagues' stat boards? Or just from the league Nighbor was playing in? For supposedly the best playmaker of his day those aren't the most impressive finishes. Who are the players finishing above him?

My "consistency in playmaking" thread assumes a merged league prior to 1926 so as not to "do Nighbor any favours" as Sturm says, and he ends up with 2 top-2s, 5 top-5s, 7 top-10s, and 11 top-20s. This is based on all leagues, not just the one Nighbor played in. This is an excellent record; almost identical to Bobby Clarke or Henri Richard.

Can you link me this thread?

Last, I just wanted to point out that I object to the whole "small league" argument. The leagues back then were small, but that was the highest level hockey being played at the time. If there were only 50-60 players combined in those leagues they were among the 50-60 very best in all of organized hockey. If the league doubled in size, the best players would still be the best. I hope you aren't trying to project 5th out of 30 players to 50th out of 300. I certainly don't think it works that way.

No not quite, but where is the line drawn? Trihey, Bowie, these guys were the stars of their time, do they belong right up there in the top 50 too? Nighbor was the 4th-6th best player of his time, does the 4th-6th best player from the amateur era belong next to Nighbor on all-time lists?

There is the point that there is such small competition for these top-10s, with just 3-4 teams in the league which are for all intents and purposes one-line teams. With 9-12 forwards, a top-10 just doesn't mean a whole lot. Those are the only players he is competing with, because there are no extra lines. These make a huge difference when you think of what results in other eras would look like if only one of Malkin/Crosby, Beliveau/Richard, Yzerman/Fedorov, etc. were playing. Even if you add the leagues together, placing 10th puts you about just in the top third.

Besides, couldn't the same things be said about Frank Foyston and Jack Walker to downplay their accomplishments?

Well yes, I assume that's why they get taken in the 200's and 300's. Or I suppose you could use the same 'Nighbor was the Bobby Clarke of his day' argument to say Jack Walker was the Milt Schmidt of his day and Foyston was the Maurice Richard of his day. So why are they so far back if you believe Nighbor belongs right behind Clarke? I think they go a bit later than they should but not that much. Regardless, there shouldn't be such a huge gap between Nighbor and these two, surely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad