ATD #11, Jim Robson Quarterfinals. Detroit Red Wings (2) vs. Colorado Avalanches (7)

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Detroit Red Wings

Coach: Tommy Ivan

Sweeney Schriner - Ted Kennedy (C) - Jarome Iginla
Paul Thompson - Marty Barry - Frank Foyston
Jack Walker - Phil Watson - Ron Ellis
Craig Simpson - Edgar Laprade - Ken Wharram
Paul Henderson, Marty Walsh

Red Kelly - Fern Flaman
Bob Goldham - Edward Ivanov
Barry Beck - Tommy Anderson
Tomas Jonsson

Dominik Hasek
Percy LeSueur

vs.

Colorado Avalanches

Head Coach: Jacques Demers
Ass. Coach: Roger Neilson

Michel Goulet - Gilbert Perreault - Yvan Cournoyer
Luc Robitaille - Mats Sundin - Owen Nolan
Bobby Holik - Vinny Damphousse - Bobby Bauer
Herbie Lewis - Red Sullivan - John Maclean
Wilf Paiement

Pierre Pilote(C)-Georges Boucher
Leo Boivin-Randy Carlyle
Rob Ramage-Carol Vadnais
Kevin Hatcher

Patrick Roy
Lorne Chabot

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
A suggested line change to get Goulet to do the dirty work in the corners on the forecheck and against Iginla on the backcheck (Holik also gets promoted to third line to take on Iginla sometimes too), also Nolan gets promoted to do corner and board work on the second line,... basically three nearly equal lines and a dangerous fourth line that ought to create and capitalize on turnovers.

Michel Goulet - Gilbert Perreault - Yvan Cournoyer
Luc Robitaille - Mats Sundin - Owen Nolan
Bobby Holik - Vinny Damphousse - Bobby Bauer
Herbie Lewis - Red Sullivan - John Maclean

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
I think this change is a real improvement to the first line without hurting the other units, and therefore an improvement to the team, overall. Of course, I should think this, as I suggested it. Goulet and Robitaille aren't very different offensively, but Michel brings a lot more jam than Luc does and makes the 1st line much more credible in terms of puckwinning and as a cycling unit, which they will need to be from-time-to-time because you cannot get by just scoring off the rush in this league. The scoring potential of the 1st line isn't changed much, but it's overall game certainly goes up a notch.

Sundin gets two new wingers on the 2nd line, but I don't think much really changes. He's still got an excellent scorer on his left wing, but now the forechecker/board guy is on his right in the form of Owen Nolan. Nolan isn't quite the playmaker Bauer was, but you lose nothing in terms of goal-scoring or 2-way play (Nolan's defensive game has always been underrated - he was the quintessential Darryl Sutter forward in San Jose - and Bauer was the weakest of the Krauts defensively), and gain quite a lot in terms of physicality, more than making up for the loss of Goulet.

The dominoes fall down to the 3rd and 4th lines, as well, but really I don't think any of the units gets weaker. I guess the 4th line is less of a crash-bang line without Holik, but really Herbie Lewis on a 4th line is a stud, so you can't complain about that. Zamboni is fortunate to have drafted strong enough 3rd/4th line players that he had the flexibility to make a rotation like this (three wingers up, three down) in order to plug a hole on his top line. Many teams would not have had that option.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Zambo, what happened to you man? You had a great argument going for your team in the Standings thread, but barely anything here. I know it's hard to counter anything when your opponent hasn't presented an argument yet, but as a rookie GM, my advice is to just keep talking! Provide more of your opinions, some will be bound to stick. I hope you haven't just given up because of the seedings, because your team has potential.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Both teams began on goaltending and top defenseman.
Roy edges Hasek in the playoffs.
Iginla will face great checking strength, ideally from Lewis, as well as Goulet and Holik.
The difference in scoring depth is noticeable.
The Avs stack up quite well in this series.

Good luck to the other team's GM.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Both teams began on goaltending and top defenseman.
Roy edges Hasek in the playoffs.
Iginla will face great checking strength, ideally from Lewis, as well as Goulet and Holik.
The difference in scoring depth is noticeable.
The Avs stack up quite well in this series.

Good luck to the other team's GM.

The two times they went head to head in the '02 playoffs and '98 Olympics, they both played very well but Hasek had the better performances and came out on top both times.

Good luck though Zamboni, I like your team a lot and it probably would have finished a lot higher in any other division.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
The Detroit Red Wings (2) vs. The Colorado Avalanches (7)

Game Results:

Detroit Red Wings: 1 - Colorado Avalanches: 0 OT
Detroit Red Wings: 3 - Colorado Avalanches: 1
Colorado Avalanches: 2 - Detroit Red Wings: 0
Colorado Avalanches: 1 - Detroit Red Wings: 3
Detroit Red Wings: 1 - Colorado Avalanches: 0 2OT

The Detroit Red Wings (2) defeats The Colorado Avalanches (7) in 5 games.

Series Three Stars

1: Dominik Hasek - Detroit Red Wings
2: Patrick Roy - Colorado Avalanches
Co-3: Red Kelly - Detroit Red Wings
Co-3: Ted Kennedy - Detroit Red Wings

Series Recap:

- It seems that they were only four players on the ice all series long: the two goaltenders in Patrick Roy and Dominik Hasek, forward and Detroit team captain Teeder Kennedy and defenseman Red Kelly. All four were head and shoulders above any other player who grace the ice with them.

- The story of this series was without any doubt the showdown between Dominik Hasek and Patrick Roy. Both played tremendously well, overshadowing everyone not name Red Kelly or Ted Kennedy. Together, they stopped 163 of the 175 shots they receive all series, for a save percentage of .931. The two overtime playoff showdown in game five was perhaps the best display of goalkeeping since the famous Gardiner-Hall faceoff in the Milt Dunnell final game in All-Time Draft #7.

- The trio of Goulet-Perreault-Cournoyer was abysmal all series long, scoring a lonely goal in 5 games. It was not a surprise for anyone when coach Demers told the reporter that Gilbert Perreault and Yvan Cournoyer both play with extensive injuries that will require surgery.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad