ATD #11, Jim Robson Final. Nanaimo Clippers (1) vs. Detroit Red Wings (2)

EagleBelfour

Jun 7, 2005
ehsl.proboards32.com
Nanaimo Clippers

Nanaimo_Clippers.JPG

GM: pitseleh
Coach: Art Ross
Captain: Gordie Howe
Alternate Captains: Bert Olmstead, Al MacInnis

Bert Olmstead (a) - Nels Stewart - Gordie Howe (c)
Dean Prentice - Adam Oates - Peter Bondra
Don Marshall - Art Chapman - Tony Leswick
Markus Naslund - Paul Ronty - Andy Hebenton
Billy Reay, Harry Oliver

Bill Gadsby - Al MacInnis (a)
Pat Stapleton - Bill White
Bucko McDonald - Jiri Bubla
Yuri Liapkin

Tony Esposito
Alex Connell

VS.

300px-Detroit_Red_Wings_logo.svg.png

Detroit Red Wings
Coach: Tommy Ivan
spares: Paul Henderson, Marty Walsh

Sweeney Schriner - Ted Kennedy (C) - Jarome Iginla
Paul Thompson - Marty Barry - Frank Foyston
Jack Walker - Phil Watson - Ron Ellis
Craig Simpson - Edgar Laprade - Ken Wharram

Red Kelly - Fern Flaman
Bob Goldham - Edward Ivanov
Barry Beck - Tommy Anderson
Tomas Jonsson

Dominik Hasek
Percy LeSueur​

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
A few observations (not comprehensive):

- Gordie Howe, in my opinion the greatest hockey player ever, is facing an extremely interesting matchup here. The Wings top pair feature Kelly and Flaman. Kelly, of course, was Mr. Hockey’s longtime #1 defenseman, and although he lacks the strength necessary to neutralize Howe, he certainly has the speed, discipline and positional sense to at least contain him. Howe has been quoted as saying that Flaman was the toughest defenseman he ever faced; I don’t know how sincerely Howe meant that, but there’s no question that Flaman is a perfect complement to Kelly – he’s large, a fierce open-ice hitter, and can cover for Kelly, allowing him to use his outstanding rushing ability. Mr. Hockey will have his work cut out for him, but he’ll need Olmstead (the digger & playmaker) to do the dirty work for him, and he’ll need Stewart (elite goal-scoring power forward) to draw at least some of the attention from Kelly/Flaman.
- Despite having Kelly, the best offensive blueliner in this series, the Clippers should have a significant advantage in terms of overall offense from their defense corps. Flaman, Ivanov and Goldham are all rock-solid defensive players but will contribute very little offensively. Offensively, Gadsby wasn’t as far behind Kelly as you might expect (329 pts in 607 for Gadsby, 353 pts in 605 games for Kelly between 1952 and 1960) and MacInnis and Stapleton are clearly significantly better than any other defensemen in the series (offensively). There’s also a nice balance as MacInnis is ideal on the PP while Stapleton excelled at ES.
- Since I pointed out an obvious advantage for the Clippers, I’ll note that goaltending is a clear advantage for the Wings. Although Esposito is often unfairly criticized in the playoffs (*need to dig up old post where I show how ridiculously little goal support he got), he’s clearly not as good as Hasek.
- The fourth lines are very different. The Clippers have quite a bit of firepower but are relatively short on grit and defensive play (which may be significant given the toughness of the Wings’ blueline). Detroit has an excellent defensive forward in Laprade, and a nice balance between grit (Simpson) and offense (Wharram) on the wings.
- The Red Wings have an advantage behind the bench. Ivan is one of my top five coaches ever, due to his balance, ability to get the most out of his depth players, and strong leadership. He has his old #1 defenseman and, if anybody can figure out a way to stop Howe, it would be his former coach.
- On the other hand, the Clippers have a nearly perfectly-designed second line. Oates/Bondra is a lethal duo, with each player having the ability to maximize the value of the other. Prentice, one of the best defensive wingers of the Original Six era, is the perfect complement to Bondra’s indifferent defensive play. The Wings’ second line is actually more responsible defensively but I don’t see them being able to match Oates/Bondra’s offense.

Last edited:

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Best of luck Spit, you've put together one of my favourite teams in the draft. I'll put together some thoughts hopefully later today.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
I guess better late than never:

- Goaltending is obviously a significant disadvantage for us.

- That said, despite the strong two-way lines Detroit has put together and Red Kelly on defense, we have a significant edge in offense from our first line and our defense as a whole. Nels Stewart has more top-10 goal finishes than Detroit's entire first line.

- That advantage in goal scoring should really manifest itself on the PP. With MacInnis's big shot, Stewart parked in front of the net, and Howe doing a little of everything, Detroit will have to contend with elite goal scorers (for their positions) at three different positions on the first unit PP.

- Second defensive pairing is also a big advantage for us with the two best defensemen on either second pairing. Detroit may have the edge in two way forwards, but we have the edge in the defensive groups which I think will have a bigger impact on GA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad