ATD #11, Foster Hewitt Semifinals. Thunder Bay Twins (2) vs. Minnesota Saints (3)

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
1. Goaltending

Interestingly, Dryden and Holmes faced off recently in ATD #11. Dryden is (depending on whom you ask) at the bottom of the top tier of goalies, or at the top of the second tier; Holmes is generally regarded as a solid starter in an ATD context. Holmes was a first-team all-star once in his career (1925 – see footnote 2); Dryden earned that honour five times in just seven years. I’ll concede that Holmes is underrated playoff goalie – but Dryden is generally accepted as one of the greatest clutch goalies in hockey history. Thunder Bay has a sizeable advantage at the most important position.

2. Taylor

I think Nalyd and I disagree on this issue; it’s up to the voters to call this one. Just to be clear, I think that Taylor, had he been drafted as a forward, would be the second best talent in this series after Jagr. However, I think it’s unrealistic to suggest that Taylor would be anywhere near as effective as a defenseman.

I completely disagree with calling Lidstrom a complementary player; he’s proven for close to two decades that he can simultaneously be one of the top ten (or so) greatest offensive defensemen in hockey history, and probably one of the top ten greatest defensive defenseman. I think it requires a tremendous leap of faith to suggest that Taylor, being forced to play in the more conservative defenseman role, would be anywhere near as effective as he was while a rover or forward. On top of that, I haven’t read much about Taylor’s defensive game at all; given that it isn't too difficult to find quotes about the defensive ability of other star players from that era, it leads me to believe that Taylor was probably around average defensively. (I’m not willing to assume that speed, which Taylor has in abundance, necessarily translates into good defensive play). Even in the best case scenario, where Taylor somehow maintains Coffey-level offense while being forced to play the most conservative non-goalie position in hockey, overall I’d still put Lidstrom ahead due to a two-decade track record that conclusively demonstrates that he can simultaneously be among the very best in history in the offensive and defensive zone. I have the utmost respect for Taylor as a forward and rover but I feel the Saints are expecting far too much from Taylor based on his role on the team.

3. Discipline

I concede that the Saints are the tougher team, but they are also by far less disciplined. This chart shows each player’s career average PIM per 82 games. This isn’t adjusted for era (and probably should be) but I think this is still a solid starting point.

<chart>
atd11pim.JPG

Minnesota, as a team, takes nearly 60% more PIM than Thunder Bay (see footnote 1). It’s conceivable to suggest that this could give the Twins an extra 12 powerplays over the course of the series. The players most likely to respond to fisticuffs are Ulf Samuelsson, our #6 defenseman, and Adam Graves, the only forward on our team without a regular shift on the PP or PK.

However, there’s more to it than just looking at the team-wide averages. Consider the following:

a. Jagr, clearly the best forward in the series, is surprisingly undisciplined. He actually spends more time in the box than any of the Twins’ top six forwards, which is obviously problematic as he’s the cornerstone to the Saints’ offense. Jagr didn’t take smart, defensive penalties; most of his minors were simply due to frustration.
b. Gainey is universally lauded for being a smart, disciplined player but it’s worth noting that each of the Twins’ top four penalty killing forwards all take fewer penalties than Gainey (Madden 22 PIM, St. Louis 27 PIM, Goyette 11 PIM and Rousseau 31 PIM).
c. As much as Pronger is criticized for his lack of discipline, it’s unquestionable that the Saints have the more reckless blueline overall. Lidstrom, Zubov and Hajt and three of the most disciplined blueliners ever, especially given Lidstrom & Zubov’s ice time, and given Lidstrom & Hajt’s commitment to clean defensive play.

4. Bottom six forwards

The teams are quite different here. The Saints generally feature tough, strong players with solid goal-scoring ability (Sloan, Kurtenbach, Stewart, Smyl). The Twins generally have fast two-way forwards (St. Louis, Rousseau, Goyette). Which team has the better bottom six? I’m not sure, but I’m pretty sure the Twins forwards are more suited to this series.

It’s uncontroversial to state that both teams have among the very fastest top six forwards in the draft: Maltsev, Cowley, Kariya, Modano, Conacher, Jagr, Bentley, Darragh and MacKay were all exceptional skaters. One of the key to this series is: which team has the right mix of depth players to contain these speedy forwards?

The Saints bottom six forwards certainly have the edge in toughness but it will very tough for them to hit the Twins’ stars consistently. Only Crawford (who won three retro Selkes – though this would merely offset Berlinquette’s) was elite defensively and only he and McGee were above-average skaters. On the other hand, the Twins have very fast bottom six forwards (St. Louis, Berlinquette, Rousseau and Goyette were all known for there speed and defensive ability, though Graves is a notable exception).
- Berlinquette won three retro Selke trophies (which certainly aren’t a perfect measure but certainly highlight his defensive value) and was known as the “Flying Frenchman†due to his speed.
- Rousseau was lauded for his “exemplary two-way play†(source) and was known for “shadowing the opposition when playing against top scoring lines and often leading shorthanded rushes up the ice†(source)
- Goyette “learned the fine art of defensive anticipation, shadowing your check and face-offs†(source) killing penalties on the Habs dynasty
- Madden has been one of the very best defensive forwards in the league for a decade and no further elaboration is necessary.
- St. Louis is a speedy two-way player, a SHG threat, and peaked at 4th in Selke voting.

Simply put, the Twins’ bottom six forwards have the speed and defensive ability to keep up with & slow down the Saints’ top two lines; I don’t think the same can be said for the Saints (footnote 3).

I will try to keep Maltsev away from Gainey where possible (fortunately the Twins have home ice advantage).

Footnote 1: again I realize this probably should be adjusted for era, some of the PIM relate to coincidental minors/fighting majors, and obviously I’m missing data for all non-NHL portions of all players’ careers but this is a reasonable starting point. To be fair my 60% estimate is based on the weighted, not simple average, so the huge number of penalties from Hall won't skew the average too badly.

Footnote 2: to be fair, Holmes was a second-team all-star in the PCHA several times. However I question how informative this is – since professional talent was split over multiple leagues during this era, this is probably the equivalent of being named the 2nd best goalie in a conference (so, outside of 1925, probably Holmes was the 3rd-4th best goalie in the consolidated league several times). That’s a nice honour but is clearly inferior to Dryden’s five first all-star team nominations (though, to be fair, perhaps Tretiak or Holecek could have challenged Dryden for some of those…)

Footnote 3: in the above comparison I was focusing on the bottom two lines; I certainly concede that Gainey-Bentley -MacKay-Crawford-Darragh is close to Berlinquette-Goyette-Rousseau-Madden-St.Louis. (Though I do question whether it’s worth it to give Gainey, a weak scorer by ATD standards, 2nd line minutes). With that said, Modano and Alfredsson provide excellent defensive play on the second line. Despite the Saints having Gainey, I think the Twins have the overall edge in defensive forwards.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
1. Goaltending

See above.

I'm not going to deny the edge in goal.

2. Taylor

see above.

I've been very generous in my estimations. I have weighted Taylor's scoring titles as being top 10 finishes. I conceded Lidstrom's defensive edge over Stevens, which, if I wanted to, I could debate. And now you have the nerve to say that Lidstrom is a better offensive defenceman than Fred Taylor. Be reasonable and offer me the same courtesy I have extended to you.

1. How good was Taylor as a defenceman? Well, the Total Hockey Retro-active awards have him as winning two Best Defenceman awards and one MVP for his two season in Ottawa.

2. Did Taylor's play as a defenceman influence the position?
Later defensemen like Sprague Cleghorn, Harry Cameron, George Boucher and Eddie Gerard attributed their rushing style to Taylor, whom they had tried to emulate.
Source

So, while rushing defencemen have dated back to the 1890's, the first generation of rushing defencemen, where in it became a viable tactic to make a career of, were players emulating Fred Taylor.

Fred Taylor invented the rushing defenceman style.

3. How is rover different from a post-Orr offensive defenceman? Seriously. How are his years as a rover not counted as years as a defenceman in the wake of how Bobby Orr changed the way defence can be played? Would Taylor lining up a little more to the right at the opening face off really throw Mickey MacKay off that much?

4. I don't see how you could deny that Lidstrom's offence is complimentary. His effect on a game isn't. But his offensive production is. We've all watched him play countless times. The vast majority of his points are phantom points where he makes smart passes to talented forwards and goals are scored. He's had the benefit of playing on a top team his whole career. And given how he plays, can you honestly tell me he isn't the type of player who wouldn't take a large hit in production if he was on a team with less productive forwards? Fred Taylor on the other hand, earned the "Cyclone" nickname by scoring 4 goals in a game from end to end rushes while he was a defenceman.

5. I am not claiming Taylor will be great in his own zone. I'm just saying don't assume he'll be a liability and don't assume he won't backcheck. But make no mistake. His role will be to play rover. His job will be to give a four man attack that not even your best defensive players can contain. His job is to make an offensive unit that can not be stopped.

3. Discipline

See above.

Toughness is a double edged sword. No doubt about that.

Voters just have to ask what's more important. Staying out of the box, or staying on your feet?

Also, the Fighting Saints will do a much better job frustrating the Twins into penalties than vice versa because of our grittier play. No one ever took a dumb penalty because Phil Goyette was hastling them. But many people did because of guys like Crawford and Gainey.

4. Bottom six forwards
See Above.

1. It is worth noting that my defence has a clear mobility edge. While your forwards may be able to keep up. Foote is the only Saint who might get burnt, while Pronger, Suter, Samuelsson and Hajt can all be burned.

2. If a lack of mobility in the bottom 6 is an issue, I have Jack Laviolette as a spare for a reason. He's a fabulous skater and 2-way player.

3. The Fighting Saints 2nd line is the line that will be shadowing and taking the major defensive responsibilities. The job of the Saints 3rd and forth lines are to score and to beat you into a pulp. By games 5, 6 and 7, the skating advantage of the Twins will be neutralized by the fatigue factor of having to play against a much more physical team.

4. Goyette, Rousseau and St. Louis all have some pretty solid offensive resumes. But, all are soft as freshly whipped cream. The Saints 3rd line provides equal offence, but, offence that can battle through any attempt to shut it down. That difference should ensure much better offensive production from the Saints bottom 6.

(Though I do question whether it’s worth it to give Gainey, a weak scorer by ATD standards, 2nd line minutes).

Ron Caron said:
Gainey has given me as much as you can expect from any human being in pro sports. I saw him first (Caron had scouted Gainey back in 1973) and then I told Claude Ruel that you're going to see a guy you'll be interested in. People basically laughed at us when we drafted him. They said he'll never score. We were the laugh of the draft for half a year. We obviously had the last laugh.
Source

Everyone who ever coached, coached against, played with or played against Bob Gainey said the same thing. Bob Gainey is important to his teams ability to win games. He isn't on the ice to score, Bob Gainey is on the ice to win.

Also, Gainey vs Maltsev will often match up on the road, but, seeing as all your RWs are offensive, any match-up is fine, because guys like Rousseau will be neutered by Gainey. But, when the Saints are at home, the match-up I want is Gainey vs Pronger. As Sturminator pointed out, Pronger is two players in one, and it's a comfort zone thing. When he's in a comfort zone, he's truely elite. When he's out, he's 2nd pairing in the ATD at best. So, seeing as I have probably the best forechecker and forechecking hitter ever. I'm going to want him out there making Pronger's life hell. IMO, the Pronger we see in games one and two, will not be around in games three through seven.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
A couple notes:

- HO, I think if you went back and factored in the non-NHL portions for all the early players in this series the PIM gap would shrink. For some of these guys you have just way too small of a sample size going. Like Crawford and Hall. And I see that you've acknowledged that. FWIW, I think the simple average is much more effective a tool, as it "evens out" any differences in games played per season, otherwise modern players have far too much impact on the final result.

- I don't think St. Louis is soft. He's pretty courageous.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
It should also be noted that with the exception of Stevens and Foote, all of Minnesota's high PIMs players are on the bottom units, and therefore somewhat less a penalty risk as their icetime will be lower in the ATD than in real life. The same is true of Samuellson on Thunder Bay's side, but not Pronger. I won't re-hash my feeligs regarding Pronger and discipline in this series.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
The Thunder Bay Twins (2) vs. The Minnesota Fighting Saints (3)

Game Results:

Thunder Bay Twins: 3 - Minnesota Fighting Saints: 2 OT
Thunder Bay Twins: 2 - Minnesota Fighting Saints: 1
Minnesota Fighting Saints: 3 - Thunder Bay Twins: 1
Minnesota Fighting Saints: 4 - Thunder Bay Twins: 3 OT
Thunder Bay Twins: 2 - Minnesota Fighting Saints: 4
Minnesota Fighting Saints: 0 - Thunder Bay Twins: 1
Thunder Bay Twins: 2 - Minnesota Fighting Saints: 3 3OT

The Minnesota Fighting Saints (3) defeats The Thunder Bay Twins (2) in 7 games.

Series Three Stars

1: Niklas Lidstrom - Thunder Bay Twins
2: Scott Stevens - Minnesota Fighting Saints
Co-3: Jaromir Jagr - Minnesota Fighting Saints
Co-3: Cyclone Taylor - Minnesota Fighting Saints

Series Recap:

- Once Again, the dynamic duo of Scott Stevens and Cyclone Taylor was nothing short of spectacular. While Taylor was rushing the puck with ease, Stevens was the defensive force, using his bone-crushing open ice check to scare the opposition.

- Both Hap Holmes and Ken Dryden played very good in this series. However, they decided to step it up in game 7, where both of them were nothing short of mesmerizing. In a epic goaltending battle that will be remember for ages, Holmes and Dryden stop together 51 consecutive shots in 2 full o vertime periods. In the 2nd minute of the third overtime period, Cyclone Taylor point blast was deflected in front of the net by Jack Darragh, tipping the puck just under the crossbar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad