ATD #10, Foster Hewitt Quarterfinals. Winnipeg Jets (5) vs Regina Pats (4)

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I had everything written, then accidentally hit the side button on my mouse while carrying my laptop, this caused the browser to flip back... I'm devastated. :shakehead

Ullman however, is a much better player than Francis. Delvecchio is arguable, but I like Ullman over him as well, and I also think Ullman is just as good of a fit.

I like Ullman better as a player too. As a linemate for Jagr, Delvecchio is better. Less of a goal-scorer, more of a playmaker, more unselfish, more low-key, more like Francis, who proved he was the best linemate for Jagr.

Again with the modern analogies, I'm picturing a center equivalent of Marian Hossa. Hossa has always been known as a two-way player, but no one ever really raves about his "defensive play". I'd imagine Ullman to be similar. He killed penalties, forechecked and did his job, but wasn't a noticable defensive standout like a Carbonneau or anything.

I've tried looking up SH goals from Ullman to prove that he penalty killed often, instead I come across the Leafs message board and a ATD on that board. Is that moderator, with the username seventieslord, and the same avy, by any chance, happen to be you? :)

Must be just a coincidence.... ;)

It got pretty heated. I'm proud that I won, just not proud of the permanent record that exists.

Check out that D - Chelios, Pilote, bouchard, Pronovost, Flaman, Gerard, Mohns, Hall... in a 16 team draft!

I actually picked Ullman. At the time he wasn't what I needed but I couldn't resist the value. He was the 5th forward I took, but the 4th center, after Beliveau, Carbonneau, and Gilmour. I announced he'd take the second line spot, bumping down Killer and Carbo, but it was heavily criticized. So I dumped him immediately for a swap of picks. What did i say about him? I think I remember touting him as a good two way guy.

Speaking of his SHG, hockey-reference has SHG totals for the last 12 years of his NHL career, and he had 5 during that time. I think it's safe to say that, generally, Ullman was a solid player at both ends at even strength, but the toughest defensive assignments, like killing penalties, were usually handled by the players who specialized in that area.

Of course it's slightly an exaggeration, but that doesn't mean my point doesn't still stand. :D

Yet, I really fail to see how you can call Mahovlich a great two-way player, and not give Ullman credit for that. I know we were comparing Mahovlich to Hawerchuk, but if you don't want to consider the hardest working player of his era as a very good/elite player in his own end,

Hey, whoa. that was just one Eddie Shack quote. That's one guy, making a comment at one particular time. It's a major extrapolation to go from Shack saying he's the hardest working man in hockey, to declaring him the hardest working player of his era.

I fail to see how you can credit a guy who was known to have talent, but was extremely lazy at times, and by all accounts didn't see/think the game very well (the biggest aspect of good defensive play, IMO, along with speed, which Mahovlich doesn't really have).

I just finished reading Ken Dryden's The Game yesterday. Great book. He gives frank opinions on all of his current teammates, and a few past ones, including Pete. He described him as a party animal, the team's social glue guy. He sounded a bit aloof to me. But Dryden did not convey this in a negative way. he actually said that when Mahovlich was traded, the dressing room felt gutted. Anyway, the point of this is that I think his laissez-faire attitude was an off-ice thing, not on-ice.

I'd agree that Secord is a feisty guy who had some talent, but based on you're post, I'm taking it as you're either pimping Secord as a second liner, which he isn't, or you're trying to say Vaive is a spare, which I respectfully disagree with. Hopefully I'm not putting words in your mouth, as I'm not trying to, just the way I think I took that part of your post.

Neither. I think Vaive is a bargain basement 2nd liner, and Secord would be a reach as a regular second liner. He should be a fourth liner who can fill in on the 2nd in spurts. He's tougher than Vaive, but not as great a scorer which drops him just below the line separating gritty scorers from scoring tough guys, in an ATD context. Bill Watters, in that Captains book, said that the Vaive for Secord trade was one of the worst the Leafs ever made. Still, don't put too much separation between them. Vaive only topped 40 goals one more time than Secord did. And he only made the top-10 one more time as well. Secord's injuries were really his downfall.

Again, Recchi is a good two-way player based on what exactly? IIRC, I think he did kill penalties at times, and is/was one of the smarter players in the league, from what I've seen/heard. But throughout most of his career, Mark Recchi was just a smallish scoring winger who benefitted from playing with guys like Lemieux and Primeau. Big dominant centers who allowed him to do his little thing offensively.

First of all, Primeau was never dominant.

Recchi did benefit from playing with guys like that, but still more often than not, in his prime he was the driving force behind his team's offense. I can't say for sure how much he actually played with Lemieux. but when he got traded to Philly in 1991-92, he maintained his PPG average that he had in Pittsburgh, then exceeded it in both of the next two seasons. When he led the league in assists in 1999-2000, who was his dominant centre? Daymond Langkow? or 55 games of Eric Lindros?

As fo his two-way play, all I can tell you is he's still active and we've been able to watch him for 20 years now. He's alway been one of the league's smartest players and works hard. He has never been called soft or one-dimensional. I went back to 1997-98 on nhl.com and checked out his SHTOI/GP and found that from 97-98 to 99-00, he averaged 1:36 per game killing penalties. Just like a guy like Hossa, who you compared Ullman's defensive ability to. Over the next three seasons it dropped off but still stayed over a minute. He even killed penalties for 2:37 per game in 05-06. This is a guy with above-average defensive ability.

Again, probably an exaggeration on my part. Didn't realize St.Louis finished that high in Selke voting. Curious, what year was that? 03-04? (I'm actually asking seriously here, not accusing, in case it seems like I am)

Yep, it was 03-04.

Dale Hawerchuk finished his shorter career with 13. He too was a pretty good PK'er then.

Maybe in your bizarro world he had a shorter career. :D According to my material, he played 304 more games than Mahovlich. On a per-game basis, he actually scored half as many SHG as the Little M. (0.0205 to 0.0109) 2.5% of his goals were shorthanded; 6.6% of Pete's were. Pete's the better defensive player.

That's fairly fair, I guess. Until I have the info to prove otherwise, I'm going to use a quote from GBC here:

Technically doesn't apply, as Ullman was a HHOF calibre player offensively, but more of what I'm trying to get at is that most players during that O6 period were good defensively, and for Ullman to be among the better players with the stars of the league, and to have players saying he was the best two-way forward, in a time where everyone was decent defensively; that has to count for something, and points to Norm Ullman being a solid player in his own end.

That may be true. However, just like I can't take a bunch of moden players and claim them to be a bigger, faster team that can handle an 82-game schedule, out of context against older players, and I can't take a bunch of older players and just claim them all to be tougher and able to play 45 minutes a game, I think it's unfair to automatically brand an O6 player defensively responsible. I'm more concerned with how big, fast, tough, or skilled a player was in relation to the other players of his time.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Anyways, I'm going to take a guess, but that quote was referring to him right before he was traded from Toronto. This is where coaching becomes an issue; if a player is tuning out a coach, he is clearly more likely to float/not backcheck. This I believe was the case here, so other than that, through his career, Vaive was a very capable backchecker, the way I see it. This is the only example of where someone states that he is a lazy player.

The quote was actually referring to his first season in Toronto. I can dictate out the whole paragraph at your request :)

Vaive was not a backchecker... this wasn't his thing. I think this is just a case of equating toughness with defensive play. A lot of times, the two are linked; a lot of times they're not.

Yeah, I'd think our fourth lines are pretty close. I'd give yours the advantage defensively, but I like the intangibles and offense of ours.

Defensively, yes, I agree. Offensively? When were any of those guys elite offensively? When did any of them come close to the top of the leaderboard in goals, assists, or points, in the regular season or playoffs? (aside from Primeau's crazy 2004 playoff) St. Louis has been top-10 twice in the regular season and top-5 in playoff goals twice. Bourne led a cup winner in points. Marshall, for 4 straight years led his league in scoring in the regular season or the playoffs.

Your 4th line is very big, tough, and physical. That's all I'm willing to give it an edge in.

I disagree with a quite a lot of that actually, but I'm sure both of us are at least a little biased, so opinions for sure will vary.

I have it something close to, or like this:

Provost
Ramsay
Lehtinen
Nighbor
Luce

Noble
Nesterenko
Howe

Ullman
Marshall
Risebrough
Bourne
Cournoyer

Primeau
St. Louis
Peplinski
Vaive
Corson
Hawerchuk

Recchi
Mahovlich
Lalonde

Jagr
Martin

I personally think Ramsay is the top defensive forward ever, because I think the numbers show him to be better than Gainey, who everyone else thinks is the best ever. I know I'm in the minority. You're definitely overestimating Ullman. Risebrough I can see. You're overrating Vaive and Hawerchuk, and definitely underrating Mahovlich and Recchi.

Honestly, I think an argument could be made for either line, that favours one of them, but in the end, I think it'd be so ridiculously close, that it would still basically be a moot point. Just my feelings on the matter.

You mean like the argument overpass made? Why didn't you like it? I loved it. Different tastes, I guess.:p:

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
This is getting good now.

Look for some responses tomorrow seventies. I'd say we're at about the midway point, so I'll say kudos for keeping things civil and polite to this point. It's definitely more fun when we stick to hockey, and hockey only, and don't side track to the other stuff. :handclap:

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Oh, SNAP!

Nice, very nice.

Now, allow me to justify my position. That was for regular season rankings. What my rating system boiled down to, is that the coach played a greater part than any 2nd, 3rd, or 4th line forward or any extra player. Sort of middle of the pack. With regular season rankings I'm making the assumption that you're facing everone a few times and seeing a fair representation of what's out there.

In the playoffs, though, it's different. You hear all the time that a coach gets outcoached in the playoffs, and it's a true factor. In the same way, you can hear that a goaltender stole a series or laid an egg. I'd be willing to say that in the playoffs, goaltending and coaching are equal factors. Matchups are so much more important than the individual player-by-player ranking system I use in the regular season.

Coaches are a lot more stable. they're not an X-factor like a goalie. For most of their careers, they are what they are. there aren't a lot of examples of a coach really risng to the occasion or dropping the ball. With a goalie, it's so hard to say that he will steal a series or lose it by himself - even if a goalie has a history of doing so, it's not like anyone does it every single series. For example, i doubt that anyone will be looking at the Pittsburgh series and saying "If I roll a 5 or a 6, I'll say Patrick roy steals this series despite anything else". In reality, we look at the matchup and say "Patrick Roy is the better goalie and could steal the series".

A couple things:

In the playoffs, I'd say coaching barely matters that much more. You brought up how you'd see a team a few times at least, and you'd get a fair representation of every team. In the playoffs, it's a 7 game series, and I'd bet this series goes that long. In a game 7, you don't need a coach to tell you which player is going to do what. Our team will know everything about Lalonde, Benedict, and the rest of your wacky Regina squad. The Pats will know what Jagr likes to do, how to check him, etc. That doesn't apply in the regular season, where often a player will go to the bench boss, asking how to defend a guy he's never played against before.

Where it does matter though, is in rallying a team. Down at the second intermission of a game 7, I'd be much more confident saying I have Lester Patrick to motivate my troops and come up with tactics to win the game, than say Lindy Ruff. But I'm also more confident that I have Terry Sawchuk in net than Benedict. I know with Sawchuk, we have a guy who will hold down the fort, and we have the better player in the most important position on the ice. And you can tacticize (heh, is that a word?) all you want, but in the end, on the ice is what matters.

As for the Patrick Roy analogy, that would definitely apply of in a series where the teams are super close. I know judging from the outside, if there were two teams, and the goalies were Lumley and Roy, and the team with Lumley was a slight bit better, I'd possibly have to roll a dice to see if Roy steals that series. That isn't the case, because those teams have a lot of diversity in their different areas, so you have to look at all angles.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
seventieslord's offensive analysis

So I spent the past few hours analyzing the profiles of all the regulars on our rosters, looking at instances of finishing in the top-10 in goals, assists, and points. I also broke it down to top-5s, and top-2s.

When dealing with a pre-1926 season, I did not use the player's "raw" single-league ranking; rather, I used the idea of consolidation of leagues to better approximate their true standing. Only top-5s from splinter leagues count. Rather than appear biased, I just used a rigid system and adhered to it. First place in the best league was considered first, first in the other league was second, second in the best league would be 3rd, and so on.

One assumption that unfortunately had to be made, for fairness, was finishes in the assist leaderboard for a few pre-1913 seasons where no assists were recorded. For Frank Nighbor's one applicable season I assumed the same rank in assists as he had in goals since he was quite balanced. For Lalonde's three applicable seasons I doubled his placement as he was more likely to be 10th in assists if he was 5th in goals, as an example. For Marshall, in his four applicable seasons I assumed the same rank in assists as goals, as he appears to be a balanced player.

I plan to run numbers like this for the playoffs as well.

Beneath each player's name is:
Top-10s in goals, assists, and points
Top-5s in goals, assists, and points
Top-2s in goals, assists, and points

Winnipeg

Noble..... Ullman..... Jagr
3-2-1..... 9-9-8..... 8-10-11
1-3-1..... 3-2-2..... 6-7-8
0-1-0..... 1-0-1..... 4-3-7

Martin..... Hawerchuk..... Vaive
5-0-2..... 3-5-4..... 3-0-0
2-0-0..... 0-3-2..... 2-0-0
1-0-0..... 0-0-0..... 0-0-0

Lehtinen..... Risebrough..... Provost
0-0-0..... 0-0-0..... 2-2-2
0-0-0..... 0-0-0..... 2-0-0
0-0-0..... 0-0-0..... 1-0-0

Corson..... Primeau..... Peplinski
0-0-0..... 0-0-0..... 0-0-0

Day
0-1-0
0-1-0
0-0-0

Day was 5th in assists, as a forward. No other defenseman placed top-10 in the league.

Total from forwards:
33-28-28
16-15-13
7-4-8

Team total:
33-29-28
16-16-13
7-4-8

Regina

Nighbor..... Lalonde..... Cournoyer
7-7-7..... 11-6-11..... 6-0-2
3-7-3...... 10-5-9..... 1-0-0
1-2-1..... 4-3-4..... 0-0-0

Howe..... Mahovlich..... Recchi
6-5-4..... 1-2-2..... 1-4-4
2-2-2..... 0-2-1..... 0-2-3
0-0-2..... 0-1-0..... 0-1-0

Ramsay..... Luce..... Nesterenko

Marshall..... Bourne..... St. Louis
4-4-4..... 0-0-0..... 2-3-2
3-3-3..... 0-0-0..... 2-1-1
2-2-2..... 0-0-0..... 0-1-1

Coffey...... Mantha ..... Patrick
1-9-6 ..... 0-1-0..... 2-2-3
0-7-3..... 0-1-0 ..... 1-0-0
0-3-1...... 0-0-0..... 0-0-0

Nothing from the other defensemen.

Total from forwards:
38-31-36
21-22-22
7-10-10

Team total:
41-43-45
22-30-25
7-13-11

Defensemen, listed by number of times in the top-10 in scoring among defensemen:

Winnipeg:

Day 8
Wilson 8
Reinhart 4
Green 4

Regina:
Coffey 15
Patrick 10
Mortson 7
Crawford 7
Mantha 6

Notes:
-Regina's matrix of numbers ends up ahead in all 9 spots.
-Jagr is the most dangerous player in this series in terms of point production and playmakiing. Lalonde isn't far behind and is the more potent goalscorer.
-Wow, I've underestimated Ted Green. I still like my own #4 better, but I admit I had no idea Green was actually in the top-10 for defensemen four times.
-Regina's offense on the 4th line is impressive. Winnipeg lacks it there, but has Provost, possibly the most dangerous 3rd liner. the only reason I say possibly is because of the dout overpass casted on that earlier on this page.
-Regina appears to get more offense from their defense too, and if Coffey was entirely removed from the equation, then the teams would be about even in that category.
-I really like Reg Noble. He was always in the top-10 pre-26 but it was usually in the bottom-half, which meant he never got credited with that many top-10s when assuming the leagues were consolidated. Let it be known, though, that he just missed out a number of times.

Still to come:
-The above analysis, but specifically for the playoffs.
-Player-by player career regular season PPG vs. playoff PPG
-Terry Sawchuk's playoff history
-Physicality discussion
-Strategy/linematching/gameplan

Last edited:

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I had everything written, then accidentally hit the side button on my mouse while carrying my laptop, this caused the browser to flip back... I'm devastated. :shakehead

Know the feeling, as you know, since I did it a few weeks ago when doing assassianations. It really sucks. :(

Must be just a coincidence.... ;)

It got pretty heated. I'm proud that I won, just not proud of the permanent record that exists.

Check out that D - Chelios, Pilote, bouchard, Pronovost, Flaman, Gerard, Mohns, Hall... in a 16 team draft!

I actually picked Ullman. At the time he wasn't what I needed but I couldn't resist the value. He was the 5th forward I took, but the 4th center, after Beliveau, Carbonneau, and Gilmour. I announced he'd take the second line spot, bumping down Killer and Carbo, but it was heavily criticized. So I dumped him immediately for a swap of picks. What did i say about him? I think I remember touting him as a good two way guy.

Didn't go through the entire thing, but I noticed you definitely had a stacked team.

Speaking of his SHG, hockey-reference has SHG totals for the last 12 years of his NHL career, and he had 5 during that time. I think it's safe to say that, generally, Ullman was a solid player at both ends at even strength, but the toughest defensive assignments, like killing penalties, were usually handled by the players who specialized in that area.

Okay, thanks. I think we've come to a conclusion on the Ullman thing, he was a solid two-way forward, capable of killing penalties at times, and among the best star two-way players.

I just finished reading Ken Dryden's The Game yesterday. Great book. He gives frank opinions on all of his current teammates, and a few past ones, including Pete. He described him as a party animal, the team's social glue guy. He sounded a bit aloof to me. But Dryden did not convey this in a negative way. he actually said that when Mahovlich was traded, the dressing room felt gutted. Anyway, the point of this is that I think his laissez-faire attitude was an off-ice thing, not on-ice.

I can live with that. I'm not claiming him to be Alexei Yashin or anything, just that he wasn't the most serious player to ever lace up the skates, and that could lead to sometimes slacking off.

Neither. I think Vaive is a bargain basement 2nd liner, and Secord would be a reach as a regular second liner. He should be a fourth liner who can fill in on the 2nd in spurts. He's tougher than Vaive, but not as great a scorer which drops him just below the line separating gritty scorers from scoring tough guys, in an ATD context. Bill Watters, in that Captains book, said that the Vaive for Secord trade was one of the worst the Leafs ever made. Still, don't put too much separation between them. Vaive only topped 40 goals one more time than Secord did. And he only made the top-10 one more time as well. Secord's injuries were really his downfall.

Could, should, would. :D

I agree that Vaive is a bottom-tier second liner, but he was a perfect fit, so that's why we took him.

First of all, Primeau was never dominant.

Recchi did benefit from playing with guys like that, but still more often than not, in his prime he was the driving force behind his team's offense. I can't say for sure how much he actually played with Lemieux. but when he got traded to Philly in 1991-92, he maintained his PPG average that he had in Pittsburgh, then exceeded it in both of the next two seasons. When he led the league in assists in 1999-2000, who was his dominant centre? Daymond Langkow? or 55 games of Eric Lindros?

Not a dominant center...but a physically punishing winger...John LeClair. I'm not sure who centered that line, but I'd guess it was Lindros while he was healthy, and Langkow or whoever else when Lindros was out.

And Primeau for short stretches WAS dominant.

I got this off of Hockeybuzz...yes, I know, Hockeybuzz. However, it is apparently Phil Esposito who said this, on an interview on XM radio:

Phil Esposito said:
"During the 04 playoffs when you and the Flyers took the Lightning to seven games, you were the most dominating player I ever saw. More than Orr, Howe, Gretzky, or anyone."

First of all, take the entire thing with a grain of salt, as I never heard the interview, and never before heard anyone talk of it. Plus, Espo has been known to said some absolutely wack things lately.

Still, although obviously an exaggeration, it is some mighty praise from a guy who watched Primeau extensively during the playoffs, and also played with Orr, against Howe, and watched Gretzky.

As fo his two-way play, all I can tell you is he's still active and we've been able to watch him for 20 years now. He's alway been one of the league's smartest players and works hard. He has never been called soft or one-dimensional. I went back to 1997-98 on nhl.com and checked out his SHTOI/GP and found that from 97-98 to 99-00, he averaged 1:36 per game killing penalties. Just like a guy like Hossa, who you compared Ullman's defensive ability to. Over the next three seasons it dropped off but still stayed over a minute. He even killed penalties for 2:37 per game in 05-06. This is a guy with above-average defensive ability.

Okay, I'll give you that. I'd say he's responsible defensively, as long as you don't have him killing penalties in the ATD.

Yep, it was 03-04.

Okay, thought so. Thanks.

Maybe in your bizarro world he had a shorter career. :D According to my material, he played 304 more games than Mahovlich. On a per-game basis, he actually scored half as many SHG as the Little M. (0.0205 to 0.0109) 2.5% of his goals were shorthanded; 6.6% of Pete's were. Pete's the better defensive player.

My mistake there, big time.

Okay, I think you've convinced me here. I'm guessing if you look at ice times, Hawerchuk probably scored more based on ice-time, but Mahovlich clearly killed more penalties, which based on their career lengths, its safe to assume then that Pete killed a lot of penalties.

I'm giving Mahovlich credit, but I think you may have underrated Hawerchuk before as well.
That may be true. However, just like I can't take a bunch of moden players and claim them to be a bigger, faster team that can handle an 82-game schedule, out of context against older players, and I can't take a bunch of older players and just claim them all to be tougher and able to play 45 minutes a game, I think it's unfair to automatically brand an O6 player defensively responsible. I'm more concerned with how big, fast, tough, or skilled a player was in relation to the other players of his time.

Fair enough. As long as you're consistent with that, which you are.

The quote was actually referring to his first season in Toronto. I can dictate out the whole paragraph at your request :)

Vaive was not a backchecker... this wasn't his thing. I think this is just a case of equating toughness with defensive play. A lot of times, the two are linked; a lot of times they're not.

That's true again. It's hard to argue with you when all you do is make valid points! :)

Defensively, yes, I agree. Offensively? When were any of those guys elite offensively? When did any of them come close to the top of the leaderboard in goals, assists, or points, in the regular season or playoffs? (aside from Primeau's crazy 2004 playoff) St. Louis has been top-10 twice in the regular season and top-5 in playoff goals twice. Bourne led a cup winner in points. Marshall, for 4 straight years led his league in scoring in the regular season or the playoffs.

Your 4th line is very big, tough, and physical. That's all I'm willing to give it an edge in.

No, they didn't have any big seasons. But throughout their careers, these guys were all consistent producers (Primeau had spurts, but for the most part was a consistent scorer when healthy).

I personally think Ramsay is the top defensive forward ever, because I think the numbers show him to be better than Gainey, who everyone else thinks is the best ever. I know I'm in the minority. You're definitely overestimating Ullman. Risebrough I can see. You're overrating Vaive and Hawerchuk, and definitely underrating Mahovlich and Recchi.

Ramsay, we're gonna agree to disagree because I like Gainey more, who I think is the top defensive forward ever, and I think Provost is the best defensive-RW ever. The rest, meh. My opinions don't really matter, it's the voters.

You mean like the argument overpass made? Why didn't you like it? I loved it. Different tastes, I guess.:p:

:laugh:

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
seventieslord's offensive analysis

So I spent the past few hours analyzing the profiles of all the regulars on our rosters, looking at instances of finishing in the top-10 in goals, assists, and points. I also broke it down to top-5s, and top-2s.

When dealing with a pre-1926 season, I did not use the player's "raw" single-league ranking; rather, I used the idea of consolidation of leagues to better approximate their true standing. Only top-5s from splinter leagues count. Rather than appear biased, I just used a rigid system and adhered to it. First place in the best league was considered first, first in the other league was second, second in the best league would be 3rd, and so on.

One assumption that unfortunately had to be made, for fairness, was finishes in the assist leaderboard for a few pre-1913 seasons where no assists were recorded. For Frank Nighbor's one applicable season I assumed the same rank in assists as he had in goals since he was quite balanced. For Lalonde's three applicable seasons I doubled his placement as he was more likely to be 10th in assists if he was 5th in goals, as an example. For Marshall, in his four applicable seasons I assumed the same rank in assists as goals, as he appears to be a balanced player.

I plan to run numbers like this for the playoffs as well.

Top-10s in goals, assists, and points
Top-5s in goals, assists, and points
Top-2s in goals, assists, and points

Winnipeg

3-2-1..... 9-9-8..... 8-10-11
1-3-1..... 3-2-2..... 6-7-8
0-1-0..... 1-0-1..... 4-3-7

5-0-2..... 3-5-4..... 3-0-0
2-0-0..... 0-3-2..... 2-0-0

0-0-0..... 0-0-0..... 2-2-2
0-0-0..... 0-0-0..... 2-0-0
0-0-0..... 0-0-0..... 1-0-0

Day
0-1-0
0-1-0
0-0-0

Day was 5th in assists, as a forward. No other defenseman placed top-10 in the league.

Total from forwards:
33-28-28
16-15-13
7-4-8

Team total:
33-29-28
16-16-13
7-4-8

Regina

7-7-7..... 11-6-11..... 6-0-2
3-7-3...... 10-5-9..... 1-0-0
1-2-1..... 4-3-4..... 0-0-0

6-5-4..... 1-2-2..... 1-4-4
2-2-2..... 0-2-1..... 0-2-3
0-0-2..... 0-1-0..... 0-1-0

4-4-4..... 0-0-0..... 2-3-2
3-3-3..... 0-0-0..... 2-1-1

Coffey...... Mantha ..... Patrick
1-9-6 ..... 0-1-0..... 2-2-3
0-7-3..... 0-1-0 ..... 1-0-0
0-3-1...... 0-0-0..... 0-0-0

Nothing from the other defensemen.

Total from forwards:
38-31-36
21-22-22
7-10-10

Team total:
41-43-45
22-30-25
7-13-11

Defensemen, listed by number of times in the top-10 in scoring among defensemen:

Winnipeg:

Day 8
Wilson 8
Reinhart 4
Green 4

Regina:
Coffey 15
Patrick 10
Mortson 7
Crawford 7
Mantha 6

Notes:
-Regina's matrix of numbers ends up ahead in all 9 spots.
-Jagr is the most dangerous player in this series in terms of point production and playmakiing. Lalonde isn't far behind and is the more potent goalscorer.
-Wow, I've underestimated Ted Green. I still like my own #4 better, but I admit I had no idea Green was actually in the top-10 for defensemen four times.
-Regina's offense on the 4th line is impressive. Winnipeg lacks it there, but has Provost, possibly the most dangerous 3rd liner. the only reason I say possibly is because of the dout overpass casted on that earlier on this page.
-Regina appears to get more offense from their defense too, and if Coffey was entirely removed from the equation, then the teams would be about even in that category.
-I really like Reg Noble. He was always in the top-10 pre-26 but it was usually in the bottom-half, which meant he never got credited with that many top-10s when assuming the leagues were consolidated. Let it be known, though, that he just missed out a number of times.

Still to come:
-The above analysis, but specifically for the playoffs.
-Player-by player career regular season PPG vs. playoff PPG
-Terry Sawchuk's playoff history
-Physicality discussion
-Strategy/linematching/gameplan

Great analysis. :clap:

Didn't realize Crawford had such good numbers. I think we both underrated each other's number 4's.

Very, very fair analysis, and great job of giving credit where credit is due. I'm going to do that to, and give you credit for taking the time to look through things so accurately. :)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
That analysis also suggests that Crawford was better offensively than Reinhart, which is just laughable.

My take on Crawford is that he's no... let's say, Craig Ludwig as far as offence output is concerned.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
He's slipping three war years in on you with that analysis.

Yes, and we talked about this during the draft too. Crawford was top-10 in a few war years, but he was also in the top-10 before and after. His points per game went up those years, just like anyone's, but his ranking among the league's defensemen didn't change much (I think he went up by 1-2 spots)

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Seventieslord's second attempt at a playoff offense analysis after accidentally hitting the back button yet again, thus losing 45 minutes of his life, never to be given back:

- Same analysis as done in post 30 for the regular season. For early players, any top league playoff games count in the same bucket, as do intra-league SCF games. For a few early seasons, assist assumptions had to be made - this applied to Lalonde once, plus Patrick and Marshall 4 and 3 times.

Top-10s in playoff goals, assists, and points
Top-5s in playoff goals, assists, and points
Top-2s in playoff goals, assists, and points

Winnipeg

0-0-0..... 4-3-4..... 4-4-4
0-0-0..... 4-3-3..... 4-0-2
0-0-0..... 2-3-3..... 2-0-0

1-1-1..... 0-0-0..... 0-0-0

1-0-0..... 0-0-0..... 2-2-2
1-0-0..... 0-0-0..... 1-1-0
1-0-0..... 0-0-0..... 1-1-0

2-0-0..... 1-1-1..... 0-0-0
0-0-0..... 1-0-0..... 0-0-0

Day..... Wilson..... Green...... Reinhart
1-2-1.....0-2-0......0-1-0....... 0-3-2
1-2-1..... 0-0-0.....0-1-0....... 0-1-0
0-0-0..... 0-0-0..... 0-0-0..... 0-0-0

Total from forwards:
15-12-12
12-4-5
6-4-3

Team total:
16-20-15
13-8-6
6-4-3

Regina

4-4-5..... 5-3-4..... 7-3-4
1-2-2...... 3-1-2..... 3-2-4
1-2-1..... 1-0-1..... 1-1-2

4-4-6..... 2-3-3..... 4-2-2
2-2-3..... 1-1-1..... 1-2-2
1-2-2..... 0-0-0..... 0-1-1

0-0-0..... 0-1-0..... 0-0-0

2-2-2..... 3-1-2..... 2-1-1
2-2-2..... 2-1-1..... 2-1-1

Coffey...... Mantha ..... Patrick*..... Mortson..... Crawford
2-4-3 ..... 1-0-1..... 4-4-4........... 1-1-0....... 0-1-0
1-3-3..... 1-0-0 ..... 2-2-2........... 0-0-0....... 0-1-0
0-1-1...... 0-0-0..... 1-1-1........... 0-0-0....... 0-1-0

* Patrick has been 2nd, 4th, 6th, and 7th in playoff/cup scoring. In 1906 when he was 7th, he played rover, which I consider closer to defense than forward, but some may disagree. So he gets a very minor asterisk. The other three times (1907, 1909, 1914) he was listed as a point or cover point.

Total from forwards:
33-24-29
17-14-18
6-9-10

Team total:
41-34-37
21-20-23
7-12-12

Notes:

- I would be doing my team a disservice if I didn't take this opportunity to mention that Regina comes out on top on all 9 spots on the matrix, whether counting defensemen or not, and in many cases the number is twice that of Winnipeg.
- I should have known better, but I didn't expect that Cournoyer would be the most established postseason sniper on either roster, with 7 showings in the top-10, 2-3 more than the likes of Nighbor, Lalonde, Howe, Recchi, Ullman, and Jagr.
- Jagr's line looks quite impressive and is solid, although unspectacular when compared to his regular season record.
- Ullman has the most elite playoffs, finishing top-2 in playoff goals twice, and assists and points thrice each.
- Corson being top-10 in playoff goals twice was a pleasant surprise.
- Syd Howe's consistency never ceases to amaze me. From 1935 through 1945 (except 1938), he was top-10 in at least one category each season, always in the regular season and more often than not, in the playoffs as well.
- Surprised at how solid Mahovlich's record is.
- Wow, do I love my 2nd line. They have all been top-10 in goals, assists, and points in the regular season and also have finished in the top-10 in all these categories in the playoffs - at least twice each!
- Primeau's 1-1-1, 1-0-0 can be traced back to his outstanding 2004 playoff.
- Jack Crawford was once 2nd in playoff assists - who knew?
- That is one clutch 4th line on Regina.
- I actually had to look over Paul Coffey a 2nd time. I was sure I missed a few seasons. No, it's accurate. He just got injured during a couple of cup runs, missing the top-10 by a few points each time.
Paul reinhart put up some smokin' playoff numbers in the 1980's. He could have been top-2 in assists 2-3 times, if his teams had gone further. Injuries held him back from placing higher in the regular season more often, but this did not appear to be a playoff issue for him.
- Who knew Provost and Lehtinen had both been 2nd in playoff goals before?
- Very surprised that Hawerchuk never made the top-10 in the playoffs at any point in his career.
- Not nearly as surprising, but I thought Nesterenko would have showed up in the top-10 a couple of times since he was pretty decent, played forever, and there are just 4 teams in the playoffs. Close a couple times; never made it.

Regular season vs. Playoff scoring

I've started to do this exercise in every playoff series I participate in. I simply take the players' career regular season PPG and divide it by their playoff PPG average. Generally a 10-12% drop is normal based on how much scoring levels drop in the playoffs throughout history. (it's been quite uniform over time, although it has actually risen a few times and dropped harder than usual a few more times) I like this because the player's own regular season numbers are what their playoff numbers are being compared to, eliminating penalization due to era.

What can tend to throw this off, is when a player advances in the playoffs a lot early in their career and not a lot later on, or vice versa. Also, I'm well aware not everyone is being placed in a scoring role but decided to include all the numbers for fun. I agree that the top-6 forwards and the top 2-3 offensive defensemen are the ones to really pay attention to.

Next to players' names are regular season PPG, playoff PPG, and percentage rise or drop.

Winnipeg

Noble .57 .26 -53%
Ullman .87 .78 -6%
Jagr 1.26 1.07 -15%
Martin 1.02 .84 -18%
Hawerchuk 1.19 1.02 -14%
Vaive .90 .80 -12%
Lehtinen .62 .45 -26%
Risebrough .64 .47 -27%
Provost .559 .50 -15%
Corson .60 .62 +4%
Primeau .68 .45 -35%
Peplinski .60 .46 -22%

Langway .33 .26 -21%
Wilson .81 .84 +4%
Reinhart .86 .93 +8%
Green .41 .39 -6%
Day .35 .21 -41%
Magnuson .24 .18 -25%

Average forward: -18%
Average D: -14%
Average of top-6 F plus top-2 offensive defensemen: -13%

Regina

Nighbor .87 .85 -2%
Lalonde 1.59 1.14 -28%
Cournoyer .89 .86 -3%
Howe .76 .63 -17%
Mahovlich .87 .82 -6%
Recchi .98 .84 -15%
Ramsay .63 .54 -14%
Luce .62 .55 -1%
Nesterenko .47 .30 -37%
Marshall .80 .71 -12%
Bourne .60 .69 +15%
St. Louis .83 1.07 +29%

Coffey 1.09 1.01 -7%
Mantha .26 .26 0
Mortson .25 .24 -4%
Crawford .32 .24 -24%
Patrick 1.04 .95 -8%
Schoenfeld .35 .21 -39%

Average forward: -9%
Average D: -14%
Average of top-6 F plus top-2 offensive defensemen: -11%

Notes:

- In the end, I can't really say there's a major advantage here. Regina did come out on top but it was by so little. Still, it was fun to do.
- Jagr and Lalonde suffer from the same syndrome - production in the regular season that is so strong, that it would be impossible to maintain it in the playoffs - no matter. Orr, Gretzky, and Lemieux all saw the same thing happen to their numbers.
- Syd Howe sees a 17% drop despite finishing in the top-10 as often as he did in the regular season. Playoff scoring dropped a lot harder in the 30's.
- Top-3 risers among forwards: Martin St. Louis, Bob Bourne, Shayne Corson
- Top-3 droppers among forwards: Reg Noble, Eric Nesterenko, Keith Primeau
- Top-3 risers among defensemen: Paul Reinhart, Doug Wilson, Sylvio Mantha
- Top-3 droppers among defensemen: Hap Day, Jim Schoenfeld, Keith Magnuson

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Know the feeling, as you know, since I did it a few weeks ago when doing assassianations. It really sucks. :(

i did it again tonight :rant:

I can live with that. I'm not claiming him to be Alexei Yashin or anything, just that he wasn't the most serious player to ever lace up the skates, and that could lead to sometimes slacking off.

It definitely could. Sometimes you gotta take the bad with the good. And no saying the Y word; there could be kids reading this.

And Primeau for short stretches WAS dominant.

I got this off of Hockeybuzz...yes, I know, Hockeybuzz. However, it is apparently Phil Esposito who said this, on an interview on XM radio:

First of all, take the entire thing with a grain of salt, as I never heard the interview, and never before heard anyone talk of it. Plus, Espo has been known to said some absolutely wack things lately.

You're right, he was.

I think the Espo quote is a major superlative, but there is a grain of truth in it. Primeau was huge. He owned the Leafs in 2004 and made Sundin his girlfriend. He did score 3 goals when the Leafs laid an egg in game 5, meaning he scored just 6 goals in the rest of the playoffs, but it was also his physical and defensive play that was awesome. Without question, this was the pinnacle of his career.

You also didn't get a fair shake when you took him. Two drafts ago, he was the center of a much-celebrated checking line that defeated me in my first attempt at a squad. When you took him, I recall comments like "he wasn't that great offensively and wasn't really a shutdown player either"

Okay, I think you've convinced me here. I'm guessing if you look at ice times, Hawerchuk probably scored more based on ice-time, but Mahovlich clearly killed more penalties, which based on their career lengths, its safe to assume then that Pete killed a lot of penalties.

I'm giving Mahovlich credit, but I think you may have underrated Hawerchuk before as well.

Defensively, I am not sure I did. But let's get one thing straight - he's still a much better player overall, and I'd take him 100% of the time before Mahovlich. I found Pete in the bargain bin with a 99 cent sticker attached - couldn't go wrong, know', sayin'?

When I took him, he was up against Bobby Smith, Vincent Lecavalier, Jeremy Roenick, Billy Burch, and Rick MacLeish. I think it was the right choice.

No, they didn't have any big seasons. But throughout their careers, these guys were all consistent producers (Primeau had spurts, but for the most part was a consistent scorer when healthy).

From an ATD standpoint, though, not so much. It's a pretty "standard" 4th line. In fact, it looks exactly like a 4th line I'd have put together in the last two drafts. Lately I've been getting the impression that the GMs like to see you put the best players possible on the 4th line and not just the best ones for a 4th line role. I tried to do both, naturally. Before, I'd have looked for guys who were good for banging and crashing, and could have very well put together that exact line.

Great analysis. :clap:

Didn't realize Crawford had such good numbers. I think we both underrated each other's number 4's.

Glad we're both learning. :) Also, regarding Green, he was not just top-10 4 times... three of those times he was 2nd in the league among defensemen in points. I had no idea, man.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
That analysis also suggests that Crawford was better offensively than Reinhart, which is just laughable.

don't stop there. Bring up some valid discussion instead of just saying something is laughable.

Injuries limited Reinhart for much of the 80's. He had a great PPG average but managed to make the top-10 in points by a defenseman just 4 times. Partially due to injuries, partially due to his short career, partially due to competition in his era. He's not that established of a point producer in retrospect.

Crawford made the top-10 seven times. Three of those times were war years, but he'd have been in the top-10 either way considering he was there before and after. Back then defensemen weren't counted on for points as much as in the 80's and now. Get over the point totals and look at things relatively.

All things considered, Crawford and Reinhart have to be considered equals offensively. Those of us who see this as an all-time draft don't just look at 1980's point totals and assume 80's players to be better offensively.

My take on Crawford is that he's no... let's say, Craig Ludwig as far as offence output is concerned.

I'm not sure if you mean he's not as good as Ludwig offensively, or he's not as bad. Please elaborate.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Discussion of physical play fell to the wayside in favour of things that are admittedly more important - offense, defense, and clutch scoring. VCL, if you want to go over physicality, please go for it. You could list all forwards in one list like I did for defensive play, and do the same for defensemen, and we could hammer that one out. I had fun with that.

I know some people are voting already but I don't want this to be over. Being eliminated or being in the next series can't be this fun :)

As for Sawchuk's playoff history, that fell to the wayside as well. Not a big deal as I think most people will look at goaltending as an advantage for Winnipeg either way. I might throw some numbers down when I get home so you can see what I mean, though. This is all about education.

So I guess I should talk a bit about strategy and line matching. This will be a unique series for Regina, because my 3rd line was built to be able to go up against any first line in the league. So was Winnipeg's. Patrick is going to go ahead and get the first line up against the Ullman line as often as possible. Nighbor is a top defensive threat and at times even scored at a Jagr-like level. He will make life difficult for Jagr. Noble will try his darnedest against Cournoyer, but the roadrunner's playoff history is miles better than Noble's and he should be able to break away for some goals. On the road, when we have the last change, Ruff will be looking to get away from this matchup and there will undoubtedly be times where we can't get it. In those cases we can certainly trust the Luce line to do a reasonable job of shutting it down. Ramsay at LW is even better than Nighbor is defensively; he just can't provide the same level of counterattack. This probably means that more often than not, our 2nd and 4th lines will go head to head. The second lines are fairly even with Hawerchuk being the best player on either line, but the balance of size, speed, skill, and two-way play found on Regina's 2nd line, as well as their proven and documented history of being sustained elite scorers in both the regular season and the playoffs, should see them pot in a few more goals. I like the 4th line matchup. Normally Patrick would be worried about the pounding that Primeau, Corson, and Peplinski would give their opponents, but this line can flat-out fly. It might actually be our team's fastest line. All of them have proven to be great playoff scorers - all three have been top-5 in playoff goals twice; what other 4th line can say that? In a close series, the extra offense this unit can give me compared to that of Winnipeg's 4th line could prove to be a major factor.

Against Winnipeg getting the matchups won't be that important though. Our best defensive players are on the left side so Jagr will always have a rough ride, and he's the most dangerous player here. We just need to make sure to stick with the plan of containing Jagr. Mortson on the left side could be key as well. He is our most physical player on D, and on the occasions that they meet, he will relish the opportunity to smash into him. Patrick will use Coffey, Patrick, and Mortson's rushing and passing skills along with our forwards' speed to have a good transition game when our two-way forwards force a turnover. There are really no chinks in Benedict's playoff armour so I can't see him losing a game for us that we should have won.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Well, turns out I'm this close to failing English at school. Considering I've never even got lower than 80% in any subject before, while semester isn't over, and I've got another 3 weeks to finish up, this is a bit of a shock. If only essays talking about hockey history and fantasy playoff teams counted towards my grade, but I've been slacking with my assignments, and am going to be screwed if I don't get my head in gear. So yeah, I think this'll be my last post until I can get caught up. :(

This sucks though, because I can't continue this discussion any farther. We were doing really good too; who would've thought this would be the series with the most posts? Especially with series' like VanI against Murph, and GBC and raleh against anyone, although chaos does post a fair amount. :)

Although, I do have to say, I'm really glad I didn't vote for this series, because although I'm biased, I think this is easily the closest series, and it would've been ridiculous for me to vote.

don't stop there. Bring up some valid discussion instead of just saying something is laughable.

Injuries limited Reinhart for much of the 80's. He had a great PPG average but managed to make the top-10 in points by a defenseman just 4 times. Partially due to injuries, partially due to his short career, partially due to competition in his era. He's not that established of a point producer in retrospect.

Top-10 in points is unfair for Reinhart though, because he was injured for much of the time. If we look at top-10 in PPG; I'm sure he'll rank higher, of course excluding random guys who played for maybe 5 games.

Crawford made the top-10 seven times. Three of those times were war years, but he'd have been in the top-10 either way considering he was there before and after. Back then defensemen weren't counted on for points as much as in the 80's and now. Get over the point totals and look at things relatively.

All things considered, Crawford and Reinhart have to be considered equals offensively. Those of us who see this as an all-time draft don't just look at 1980's point totals and assume 80's players to be better offensively.

Like I said, I underrated Crawford, but I didn't realize you included the war years, as Sturm so kindly pointed out.

That said, a top-10 finish in a higher scoring era, while not that much more impressive, does say something. It was definitely easier to score, but a lot more guys were scoring, so to stay in the top-10 would be harder, IMO.

i did it again tonight :rant:

Ouch. Again.

It definitely could. Sometimes you gotta take the bad with the good. And no saying the Y word; there could be kids reading this.

Sorry, how about Carol Alt's boytoy? ;) :D

You're right, he was.

I think the Espo quote is a major superlative, but there is a grain of truth in it. Primeau was huge. He owned the Leafs in 2004 and made Sundin his girlfriend. He did score 3 goals when the Leafs laid an egg in game 5, meaning he scored just 6 goals in the rest of the playoffs, but it was also his physical and defensive play that was awesome. Without question, this was the pinnacle of his career.

You also didn't get a fair shake when you took him. Two drafts ago, he was the center of a much-celebrated checking line that defeated me in my first attempt at a squad. When you took him, I recall comments like "he wasn't that great offensively and wasn't really a shutdown player either"

That definitely was the highlight of his career, no question.

I'd say his value is somewhere in between what is was thought to be when he beat your team, and what it is now. I think we'll get to that point in another 5-10 years. Right now, we're looking at a guy who JUST retired, with some failure looming around, as his career was cut out so short. When facing you, I believe he was coming off that playoff, and it was believed that he would continue that success in the next season, or at least, it wasn't known that his career was over, and most expected him to perform at a decent clip, and possibly transform into the Selke-contender form consistently that he showed in the playoffs.
Defensively, I am not sure I did. But let's get one thing straight - he's still a much better player overall, and I'd take him 100% of the time before Mahovlich. I found Pete in the bargain bin with a 99 cent sticker attached - couldn't go wrong, know', sayin'?

When I took him, he was up against Bobby Smith, Vincent Lecavalier, Jeremy Roenick, Billy Burch, and Rick MacLeish. I think it was the right choice.

Nah, you made the right pick. He fell pretty far actually. i was just trying to allude that Hawerchuk was better, and I thought you overrated his defensive game by a bit. That's all.

From an ATD standpoint, though, not so much. It's a pretty "standard" 4th line. In fact, it looks exactly like a 4th line I'd have put together in the last two drafts. Lately I've been getting the impression that the GMs like to see you put the best players possible on the 4th line and not just the best ones for a 4th line role. I tried to do both, naturally. Before, I'd have looked for guys who were good for banging and crashing, and could have very well put together that exact line.

I like the outside-of-the-box thinking, but it seems more often than not, those teams that do go outside of the standard, unless they back up what they're trying to get at, flunk in the minds of voters. Basically, any team that manages, especially in a 28-32 team draft, to build prototypical forward lines, 1-4, and 3 standard defense pairings, with a #1, #2, #3, etc. will win the entire thing.

Glad we're both learning. :) Also, regarding Green, he was not just top-10 4 times... three of those times he was 2nd in the league among defensemen in points. I had no idea, man.

Yup. Too bad I won't be learning much else, other than useless crap about plot plans, and Venn diagrams comparing characters of idiotic stories. :( Yes, I'm angry.

And, this also means I won't be able to engage the entire discussion about physicality. Or line matching. Or other strategies. :cry:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Well, turns out I'm this close to failing English at school. Considering I've never even got lower than 80% in any subject before, while semester isn't over, and I've got another 3 weeks to finish up, this is a bit of a shock. If only essays talking about hockey history and fantasy playoff teams counted towards my grade, but I've been slacking with my assignments, and am going to be screwed if I don't get my head in gear. So yeah, I think this'll be my last post until I can get caught up. :(

This sucks though, because I can't continue this discussion any farther. We were doing really good too; who would've thought this would be the series with the most posts? Especially with series' like VanI against Murph, and GBC and raleh against anyone, although chaos does post a fair amount. :)

Yikes! Hopefully you can catch yourself up. It's annoying and expensive to take a class a 2nd time.

I'm not surprised this ended up being the most heavily-discussed series. I'm pretty wordy, and you and I are both th type who won't let an argument go unanswered.

Although, I do have to say, I'm really glad I didn't vote for this series, because although I'm biased, I think this is easily the closest series, and it would've been ridiculous for me to vote.

I haven't voted yet, and there are still a few that I've been mulling over in my head, unable to declare a winner. When I get to it tonight, It will be difficult.

Top-10 in points is unfair for Reinhart though, because he was injured for much of the time. If we look at top-10 in PPG; I'm sure he'll rank higher, of course excluding random guys who played for maybe 5 games.

I refer you to the 5th section of post #31, written by you. :laugh:

Like I said, I underrated Crawford, but I didn't realize you included the war years, as Sturm so kindly pointed out.

That said, a top-10 finish in a higher scoring era, while not that much more impressive, does say something. It was definitely easier to score, but a lot more guys were scoring, so to stay in the top-10 would be harder, IMO.

Not really. I'll admit it was easier; it was easier on all the remaining players. A lot of players left for the war (Apps and the Krauts, for example) so it made it easier on those who were left, to make the leaderboard. It really affected the forwards. Some great MLD forwards ranked very high for a few years and then fell back off the map. the higher scoring levels reflected a lower skill level in the league.

On defense, the only elite player to leave was Ken Reardon so it wasn't as easy for a defenseman to have huge seasons numerically, but rushers like Pratt and Hollett who were pretty much forwards, made a killing. Earl Seibert was still there the whole time, and Butch Bouchard joined the league halfway through.

I think the impact on Crawford was that with Ken Reardon gone, he was able to get one spot up on the D-men leaderboard than he otherwise would have been, since Reardon is obviously better and would have finished ahead of him had he been there. Unless I'm missing someone, but I can't think of any major D-man to leave during the war besides Reardon.

It's strange; most of the best players to leave were forwards, it would make more sense that scoring would go down during the war.

Ouch. Again.

I'd say his value is somewhere in between what is was thought to be when he beat your team, and what it is now. I think we'll get to that point in another 5-10 years. Right now, we're looking at a guy who JUST retired, with some failure looming around, as his career was cut out so short. When facing you, I believe he was coming off that playoff, and it was believed that he would continue that success in the next season, or at least, it wasn't known that his career was over, and most expected him to perform at a decent clip, and possibly transform into the Selke-contender form consistently that he showed in the playoffs.

it was just a year ago, so he had still been retired for quite some time. Your point still stands, though. With recently retired players there is almost a seesaw of value in the first decade after. they keep getting underrated and overrated until we setle on something.

I like the outside-of-the-box thinking, but it seems more often than not, those teams that do go outside of the standard, unless they back up what they're trying to get at, flunk in the minds of voters. Basically, any team that manages, especially in a 28-32 team draft, to build prototypical forward lines, 1-4, and 3 standard defense pairings, with a #1, #2, #3, etc. will win the entire thing.

Look no further than the team with three foreign defensemen.

It seems that you've got to take a major risk to win this thing, but take too many and you're S.O.L.

Not to say that my 4th line is an "outside the box" line at all. I think it's very much in the box since, as I said earlier, there has been a shift towards skill on the 4th lines in these things.

Yup. Too bad I won't be learning much else, other than useless crap about plot plans, and Venn diagrams comparing characters of idiotic stories. :( Yes, I'm angry.

And, this also means I won't be able to engage the entire discussion about physicality. Or line matching. Or other strategies. :cry:

Well, regardless, good luck. It's been fun. You are always a hell of an opponent.

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
It's a shame that you think the world of top ten finishes because they are not the most effective way of judging a players offensive value.
Reinharts ppg average during the highly competitive era of the 1980's was better than Larry Murphy, Larry Robinson, Reed Larsons and on par with Doug Wilson and Mark Howe, are you going to say Crawford compares to Mark Howe as well? When Reinhart managed to play a healthy season he was almost a sure bet to be amoung the top 5. He played 5 seasons during the 1980's with a 90% attendance and placed 2nd,4th,5th and 6th (2 points behind 4th) he also placed 11th twice, once in 1982 with 61 points in 62 games and in 1990 with 57 points in 67 games. When healthy Reinhart was beating hall of fame defensmen in the scoring race, when he wasNt healthy his ppg was still up there with the best of them. There is no doubt that Paul Reinhart was one of the better offensive defensemen in possibly the most competetive era for that position, And when you look at the playoff numbers he looks even better.

Crawford made the top-10 seven times. Three of those times were war years, but he'd have been in the top-10 either way considering he was there before and after. Back then defensemen weren't counted on for points as much as in the 80's and now.

Jack Crawford had all of his 6 top ten finishes in the 1940's against much weaker competition when at that time the difference in talent between player #1 and #10 was obviously large. Even despite placing in the top 10 several times and upping his ppg average during the war years, his ppg average is still nowhere near his contemporaries who placed in the top ten a similar amount of times.

Player|Games|Points|Avrg per season|top 10 finishes
Babe Pratt|358|235|32.8|7
Pat Egan|414|220|26.6|7
Flash Hollett|323|217|33.6|7
Jack Crawford|452|156|17.2|6
Dit Clapper|294|150|24.5|6
Earl Seibert|287|149|25.9|6
Bill Quackenbush|313|129|20.6|5
Ott Heller|304|125|20.6|4

So you see just looking at top ten finishes is not an entirely accurate way of judging a players offensive value.
And even If you look at Crawfords two best seasons when he placed 4th and 5th, the players he placed ahead of where not excactly stalwart offensive players.

Flash Hollett 44
Babe Pratt 39
Earl Seibert 32
Dit Clapper 23
Jack Crawford 23
Reg Hamilton 21
Leo Lamoureaux 18
Butch Bouchard 18
Ott Heller 18

Flash Hollett 41
Babe Pratt 41
Butch Bouchard 34
Earl Seibert 29
Leo lamoureaux 24
Jack Crawford 24
Pat Egan 22
Dit Clapper 22
Joe Cooper 21

All things considered, Crawford and Reinhart have to be considered equals offensively. Those of us who see this as an all-time draft don't just look at 1980's point totals and assume 80's players to be better offensivel.Get over the point totals and look at things relatively.
I'm offended by these comments because of the fact that i've dedicated more time to analyzing NHL defensmen across all era's than probably anyone you'll meet in your life. I hope you now know that i'm trying to put things in better perspective and not assuming anything. No modern player fanboy here.

Last edited:

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
Based on my vs. #2 numbers here is how the guys in this series that I've done rank

Vs League
Player|Rating
Paul Coffey|4.45
Lester Patrick|2.978
Doug Wilson|2.559
Paul Reinhart|2.529
Hap Day|2.064
Sylvio Mantha|1.938
Jack Crawford|1.46
Rod Langway|1.359
Jim Schoenfeld|1.117

Vs D only
Player|Rating
Paul Coffey|7.004
Hap Day|4.256
Paul Reinhart|4.229
Doug Wilson|4.22
Sylvio Mantha|3.878
Jack Crawford|3.515
Rod Langway|2.399
Jim Schoenfeld|2

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
It's a shame that you think the world of top ten finishes because they are not the most effective way of judging a players offensive value.

You know what? You're mostly right. I get carried away. I do think top-10 finishes would be the best way if you were to choose just one way to evaluate a player's offensive value. On its own, it's better than points, better than PPG, and better than BM's system of comparing to the #2 scorer.

But it would be foolish to use just one method and call it the be-all, end-all. Kind of like save percentages for goalies. Maybe it's the best single stat if you were forced to choose one, but on its own it cannot tell the whole story and you should dig deeper.

Reinharts ppg average during the highly competitive era of the 1980's was better than Larry Murphy, Larry Robinson, Reed Larsons and on par with Doug Wilson and Mark Howe, are you going to say Crawford compares to Mark Howe as well? When Reinhart managed to play a healthy season he was almost a sure bet to be amoung the top 5. He played 5 seasons during the 1980's with a 90% attendance and placed 2nd,4th,5th and 6th (2 points behind 4th) he also placed 11th twice, once in 1982 with 61 points in 62 games and in 1990 with 57 points in 67 games. When healthy Reinhart was beating hall of fame defensmen in the scoring race, when he wasNt healthy his ppg was still up there with the best of them. There is no doubt that Paul Reinhart was one of the better offensive defensemen in possibly the most competetive era for that position, And when you look at the playoff numbers he looks even better.

Fair enough. Unfortunately we can't assume Reinhart would play most games because he rarely did. As I already mentioned, that does not appear to be a problem for him in the playoffs; I'm sure each individual GM will factor that in as they see fit.

The problem with points per game is that it implies credit for games not played; it also assumes that production would be maintained over a higher number of games.

Still, your point is well-made. 4 times in the top-6 is impressive especially when two 11th places are added in there, considering the competitive era.

Jack crawford had all of his 6 top ten finishes in the 1940's against much weaker competition and at a time when the difference between player #1 and 10 was a clearly large gap talent wise. Even despite placing in the top 10 several times and upping his ppg average during the war years, his ppg average is still nowhere near his contemporaries who placed in the top ten a similar amount of times.

Player|Games|Points|Avrg per season|top 10 finishes
Babe Pratt|358|235|32.8|7
Pat Egan|414|220|26.6|7
Flash Hollett|323|217|33.6|7
Jack Crawford|452|156|17.2|6
Dit Clapper|294|150|24.5|6
Earl Seibert|287|149|25.9|6
Bill Quackenbush|313|129|20.6|5
Ott Heller|304|125|20.6|4

Sorry, but that is misleading. Crawford played 38 games more than Egan, and at least 94 more games than everyone else on that list. I can't go into each one individually right now, but I'd assume he played, on average, 2-3 more seasons than them, meaning he played older and further into his offensive decline. This would cause his career PPG average to drop.

Secondly, I don't see the point in mentioning that the war years upped his PPG average when referring me to that list. Which of the above players didn't score more points during the war? Sorry, you are making it sound like even with an unfair advantage that the others didn't have, he still finished below them.

If you want to tell me Crawford is the worst offensively out of those 8 and prove it fairly, I'm game. Show me the average of their 5 best seasons to eliminate unfair disadvantages as mentioned above. I think all these guys played right through the war, so there would be no need to eliminate or discount any seasons. Crawford might still finish last but at least it would be more legit.

So you see just looking at top ten finishes is not an entirely accurate way of judging a players offensive value.
And even If you look at Crawfords two best seasons when he placed 4th and 5th, the players he placed ahead of where not excactly stalwart offensive players.

Flash Hollett 44
Babe Pratt 39
Earl Seibert 32
Dit Clapper 23
Jack Crawford 23
Reg Hamilton 21
Leo Lamoureaux 18
Butch Bouchard 18
Ott Heller 18

Flash Hollett 41
Babe Pratt 41
Butch Bouchard 34
Earl Seibert 29
Leo lamoureaux 24
Jack Crawford 24
Pat Egan 22
Dit Clapper 22
Joe Cooper 21

I think 4 of the 7 names he ends up ahead of are pretty damn good players though.

Now, I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but what if Reinhart played in the 1980's NHL but with 48-game schedules and 6 teams? Wouldn't he place right around the same spot? Throw Bourque and Coffey ahead of him, maybe Wilson and Murphy, then he's right in the mix with Howe, Larson, etc. The players in 7th, 8th, 9th would still finish 7th, 8th, 9th, but now instead of being some average team's #1 defenseman, they're second best on their team and don't get the opportunities they would have in a 21-team league.

I can admit Reinhart is better offensively, but I think the difference between Hollett/Pratt and Crawford isn't much more than the relative difference between Coffey/Bourque and Reinhart.

Didn't really get Crawford for his offense anyway... it's just a bonus.

I'm offended by these comments because of the fact that i've dedicated more time to analyzing NHL defensmen across all era's than probably anyone you'll meet in your life. I hope you now know that i'm trying to put things in better perspective and not assuming anything. No modern player fanboy here.

You're right. You have spent more time analyzing defensemen than anyone I'll meet. You are definitely not a modern fanboy.

I think I thought you were someone else with a similar name, who I thought had some modern bias earlier on. Your avatar throws me off. When I think of Evil Speaker, I think of a Doug Harvey avatar and the guy who made a few listpicks for me while I was off getting engaged, and who encouraged me early in my first draft with a PM saying "nice pick with Stewart, now all you need is a fast guy who can play defense to cover for him"

Based on my vs. #2 numbers here is how the guys in this series that I've done rank

Vs League
Player|Rating
Paul Coffey|4.45
Lester Patrick|2.978
Doug Wilson|2.559
Paul Reinhart|2.529
Hap Day|2.064
Sylvio Mantha|1.938
Jack Crawford|1.46
Rod Langway|1.359
Jim Schoenfeld|1.117

Vs D only
Player|Rating
Paul Coffey|7.004
Hap Day|4.256
Paul Reinhart|4.229
Doug Wilson|4.22
Sylvio Mantha|3.878
Jack Crawford|3.515
Rod Langway|2.399
Jim Schoenfeld|2

A couple questions:

- Where's Patrick in the 2nd list?

- I like your formula a lot, but I do have concerns that it is a form of "adjusted points" which can be misleading. Now I like that adjusted points take the era into account by adjusting for scoring levels, roster sizes, and assists per goal. But, if you compiled adjusted points for every player in history and posted a top-100 list, it would look fairly similar to the current top-100 list of actual points. The reason for this is that there is a built-in advantage for players who played in leagues with more teams.

In a 21-team NHL there are 63 first line forwards who all get first-line minutes and, aside from the worst ones, in the 1980's, most had a good shot at 75 points. If that league was 6 teams, not only do some of those forwards not have jobs at all, some are on 2nd lines and some have to check just to stay in the league. But they're still better than players who couldn't break in.

A standard top-50 scorers list from the 80's would have the usual suspects with 110+ points, a few who stand out with 95+, and then a whole ton of players scoring 70-95. http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_1985_skaters.html In 1985, the player in 20th spot had 70% what the 2nd place scorer had. 30th place had 62%, 40th place had 55% and 50th place had 53%. In 1955, http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_1955_skaters.html 20th, 30th, 40th, and 50th had 54%, 46%, 39%, and 32% of the 2nd leading scorer's total. Under your formula, wouldn't the player in 20th place in 1955 get more or less the same "score" as the player in 40th place in 1985?

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
Series Starts Off With A Bang In Regina

The first game of the highly anticipated Regina/Winnipeg got off to a fast start and it didn't take long to find out both teams were highly motivated and prepared to play some top flight hockey. The Regina crowd was treated to some top notch hockey and they responded with as loud as crowd remembered around these parts.

From the drop of the puck the pace was fast and the two teams traded chances one after each other. It was one precision pass after another from both sides and as good as the hockey was being played, the goaltending was quite possibly even better. Benedict turned aside 17 shots and Sawchuk 15 as the furious paced first period came to a close with neither team able to score.

Frank Nighbor opened the scoring at the 6:17 mark of the second with an open net tap in completing a two on one with Newsy Lalonde. The goal brought the crowd to its feet and the home town team seemed able to channel the energy of the crowd and swing momentum their way as they directed the next 7 shots towards Sawchuk. They weren't however able to solve Sawchuk and build on their lead and the 2nd period ended with Regina leading 1-0.

The third period saw Regina get into some penalty trouble early. Luce took a double minor for high sticking and Mortson joined him 33 seconds later putting Regina down two men for an entire two minutes. Rick Vaive hit the post and Jim Schoenfeld saved an empty net chance as Winnipeg pressed and pressed. They were finally able to solve Benedict 3 seconds after Luce stepped back onto the ice with a Doug Wilson point shot. The boisterous crowd put some heat on the officials with constant chants of "we want a ref" but to no avail as the third period ended with the score tied at 1.

Paul Coffey had been thwarted all night by a combination of Terry Sawchuk and Rod Langway but on a patented Coffey end to end rush he glided up the right side at full speed and cut inside on Langway catching him going the wrong way. A nice back hand move and then between the legs of Sawchuk sealed the deal for Regina at the 2:16 mark of overtime and the home town crowd went home happy.

Regina leads the best of seven, 1-0

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
With game one's scintillating game, few expected a similiar pace the next night. With game 2 back to back in Regina it was expected the pace would fall off.

It didn't take long for the boisterous Regina crowd to jump to its feet when Paul Coffey sent Yvon Cournoyer in alone with a 90' pass. Cournoyer made good on his pass with a top shelf wrist shot just 2 mins into the game. Pete Mahovolich added to the score 36 seconds later with Coffey gaining his second point of the game on a second assist. The fast start for Regina continued and they dominated the rest of the first period. If not for the play of Terry Sawchuk the 2-0 score would have been alot worse for Winnipeg. Regina outshooting Winnipeg 14-4 for the period.

The second period started much the same as the first with Regina carrying the play. They however couldn't seem to solve Sawchuk who had rebounded from his shaky start. The score remained 2-0 until the 14:16 mark of the second when Claude Provost tallied a short handed marker. The goal energized Winnipeg and they started to penetrate the Regina end with more authority. The period ended with Regina seemingly clinging to their 2-1 lead.

The third period started with back and forth action but Sawchuk and Benedict turned aside all they saw. Jack Crawford swiped the puck from his crease with his hand but was whistled for closing his hand on the puck at the 17.44 mark of the third and a penalty shot was awarded to Dale Hawerchuk. The crowd groaned when Hawerchuk made good on his shot and tied the game up. The two teams played nuetral zone hockey not generating much looking like they were both ready for overtime when Jagr faked a dump in and broke in between Mortson and Crawford and scored the winner with 16 seconds left in the game.

The series is tied 1-1

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
seventieslord-You know what? You're mostly right. I get carried away. I do think top-10 finishes would be the best way if you were to choose just one way to evaluate a player's offensive value. On its own, it's better than points, better than PPG, and better than BM's system of comparing to the #2 scorer. But it would be foolish to use just one method and call it the be-all, end-all. Kind of like save percentages for goalies. Maybe it's the best single stat if you were forced to choose one, but on its own it cannot tell the whole story and you should dig deeper
Unfortunately we can't assume Reinhart would play most games because he rarely did. As I already mentioned, that does not appear to be a problem for him in the playoffs; I'm sure each individual GM will factor that in as they see fit.

The problem with points per game is that it implies credit for games not played; it also assumes that production would be maintained over a higher number of games.

In the case of Reinhart vs. Crawford top 10 in clearly not the best way to evaluate. With PPG it is still raw data and nothing there’s misleading about if you use it properly. I would agree that looking at ppg for just one seasons and then extrapolating numbers over an extended period of time would be too much of an exageration, but i'm using this data across an entire decade and comparing players within the same decade. Given the fact that Reinhart’s ppg, from the beginning of his career to the end , did not falter much even after all of his injuries shows his elite offensive capabilities. He was even able to up his ppg in the playoffs after coming back from injury. If he could maintain a high ppg over 700+ games, why wouldn’t he be able to mainatain it for a one full season?

Now, I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but what if Reinhart played in the 1980's NHL but with 48-game schedules and 6 teams? Wouldn't he place right around the same spot? Throw Bourque and Coffey ahead of him, maybe Wilson and Murphy, then he's right in the mix with Howe, Larson, etc. The players in 7th, 8th, 9th would still finish 7th, 8th, 9th, but now instead of being some average team's #1 defenseman, they're second best on their team and don't get the opportunities they would have in a 21-team league.

Umm.. So basically you’re implying that placing 7th or 8th in the 1980’s would be the same as placing 7th or 8th in the during the diluted 1940’s? I don’t get it

I can admit Reinhart is better offensively, but I think the difference between Hollett/Pratt and Crawford isn't much more than the relative difference between Coffey/Bourque and Reinhart.

Numbers wise the gap between Reinhart and Coffey is smaller but somwhat similar to crawford and hollet/pratt, but the difference between Coffey and Hollett or Pratt is..well obvious. Right?

Sorry, but that is misleading. Crawford played 38 games more than Egan, and at least 94 more games than everyone else on that list. I can't go into each one individually right now, but I'd assume he played, on average, 2-3 more seasons than them, meaning he played older and further into his offensive decline. This would cause his career PPG average to drop
Crawfords career did not begin or end in the 40's, he actually least effected by th einevitable slow rookie seasons start or the poor career ending year

Seibert ended his career in 46
Clapper career tailed off and ended in 47
Holletts career ended in 46
Pratts career ended in 47
Ott Heller ended his career in the 40's
Bill Quackenbush started his career
All of these players would have there ppg average effected by these years. On the other hand, Crawford played his best 10 seasons during this decade.

Secondly, I don't see the point in mentioning that the war years upped his PPG average when referring me to that list. Which of the above players didn't score more points during the war? Sorry, you are making it sound like even with an unfair advantage that the others didn't have, he still finished below them.

Sorry thats my blunder. These players like Crawford all did play through most of the war years. Still Crawford was only able to score 20 points or more three times and they were all during the 3 most diluted seasons when the average GPG was 7.58. He scored 23 points in 1943, 20 in 1944 and 24 in 1945. The other players on the list average 20 to 33 points per 50 games while all playing at least 7 seasons out of the decade.

Here i'll compare other 1940's players with Crawford who didnt play during those war years.
Goodfellow 26.8
Motter 19.6
Thompson 18.2
Coulter 17.7
Reardon 17.1

In fact out of the 20 top scoring defensemen on the 1940’s only 5 defensemen had a lower ppg average than Crawford. 3 others were even virtually even.

If you want to tell me Crawford is the worst offensively out of those 8 and prove it fairly, I'm game. Show me the average of their 5 best seasons to eliminate unfair disadvantages as mentioned above. I think all these guys played right through the war, so there would be no need to eliminate or discount any seasons. Crawford might still finish last but at least it would be more legit.

We can take a closer look at the top ten finishes

Pratt 1,1,2,2,6,6
Egan 1,1,2,2,4,6,7
Hollett 1,1,1,1,3,4,10
Crawford 4,5,6,7,9,9
Clapper 1,1,4,6,7,8
Seibert 3,4,4,5,6,10
Quackenbush 2,2,2,2,9
Heller 3,4,7,9
Outside of the 3 war years he was a fringe top ten player for 3 seasons. Even during those 3 best seasons he still never beat anyone of significance.
During early era NHL the diffence between 1st and 10th was often big, so its especially important to look at players placement amoung top ten, and not just numbers of top 10 finishes. There were alot of insignificant offensive players that were a mere few points out of the top ten during the most of the 40's and before.

Last edited:

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
With the series switching to Winnipeg Coach Demers and Ruff utilized last change to send out the Lehtinen/Risebrough/Provost trio to nullify the Lalonde line and for the most part it worked. Frank Nighbor showing frustration to the close checking was sent to the penalty box 3 times. The Ullman line freed up by the close checking of Reginas third line were very effective with Ullman garnering a goal and an assist and Jagr scoring a couple himself. Rick Martin also tallied for Winnipeg. Winnipeg skates off with a 4-2 victory in front of a very boisterous home crowd. Syd Howe and Mark Recchi were the goal scorers for Regina.

Winnipeg leads the series 2-1

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1