ATD #10, Bob Cole Quarterfinals. Toronto Malboros (5) vs Detroit Red Wings (4)

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
OT Thriller Marks End to Fantastic Series
It all came down to a 7th and deciding game last night in Detroit. And what else would end a 7th game other than overtime? The Wings got on the board first, when series star Steve Yzerman notched another one to put Detroit up 1-0. Toronto wasn't going to let the Wings run up the score the way they did in Game 6, and 8 minutes after Yzerman scored the game's first goal, Doug Harvey fired a point shot through a maze of legs to tie the game up at a goal apiece. Harvey's point shot would put the Marlboros up 2-1 when Gordie Drillion popped in the rebound off Connel.

The 2nd period provided some fine chances, but no goals. Fans in the Joe sat on the edge of their seats hoping their team had 2 more goals left in them. And once the 3rd period got underway they got their answer. Just 4 minutes in, Marty Berry scored to tie the game, and 5 minutes after that Steve Yzerman scored his 2nd of the game to put Detroit up 3-2, and now the pressure was on the Malboros.

Toronto would respond in a big way, but for a long time the Wings held them at bay, but with the Toronto net empty, Dickie Moore scored a goal that silence the Joe and brought the Malboros players to their feet. This one was heading to OT.

..and in OT....and the 3:49 mark

"The puck is fired into the corner and behind the Toronto net, Doug Harvey passes it out nicely along the boards to Drillon, Drillon fires it in from the blueline, and Larson goes into retrieve, he tries to fire it around the glass, but its stopped by Gary Suter who fires it back into the zone where it's picked up by Drillon, passed in front...HUGE SAVE BY CONNEL, rebound...SCORES!!!!!!! DOUG HARVEY COMES IN AND SCORES ON THE REBOUND!!!! TORONTO WINS!!!!!

Final 4-3 Toronto
Toronto Wins Series 4-3

3 Stars
1. Harvey
2. Yzerman
3. Schmidt

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Thanks TC for the write-ups, and spit, you put together an amazing squad, especially considering they were all former Wings. I think you've definitely got a team that should still be around, and it's a shame that a team this good is going home this early. Thanks for the series, my man.

Also, I guess we'll get to see one of the more anticipated potential match-ups thought of in the draft, me vs. pappy. Champion vs. sophomore, the good 'ol days vs. the modern era, old vs. young. Oh yeah, there was that slight disagreement we had earlier on. Should be fun.

Last edited:

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Congrats Leo, I had a feeling it was going to end up this way.

Sucks to be out early again, maybe next time I'll be able to finally make a decent run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad