Speculation: At this rate, the Trade Deadline may actually be a busy day.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Henrique's actually good so I don't usually believe we're connected until it happens haha.

Stauffer (the Oilers Entertainment Group) mouthpiece has been going on and on about Carrick for weeks. It would be nice to grab Henrique, but Carrick is incredibly mediocre.
On a good team, I think Carrick would actually be a good 4th liner. He has some offense and drops the gloves (more a middleweight than a heavyweight). He could probably even step up to 3rd line RW in a pinch, just not long term. He's not going to be a guy that wins or loses you the Cup, but he'd be a good, underrated depth add to a playoff team. He'd also be cheap... there's a LOT wrong with the Ducks, but he's not one of the problems.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Depends who you see as a contender.

Vancouver, Florida, Boston, Winnipeg, Tampa have spent their firsts this year already.
Vegas, Edmonton, NYR, Dallas, Toronto, Carolina, LAK, still have theirs.

And then there's 2025, 2026 picks, prospects, etc.

The top 8 in each conference is actually really well defined at this point. The East is pretty much set for playoff teams and the West is basically determining the final wildcard spot between NSH/STL/MIN
It does feel weird this year, a function of both Cap space, draft prospect capital and some new teams in playoff spots.

Some traditional buyers are out of it Like Pittsburgh and Washington.
Some others have limited Cap space or draft prospect capital available. Toronto, Boston, LA, Colorado are into LTIR with no cap space accruing and will have to move salary out to move any significant contracts in. many have used much draft capital in the past. Tampa is interesting- minimal draft capital, space Freed up with Sergachev but realistically do they want to blow the remaining draft capital to try to win a round- don't see them winning much more.

Philly and Det are in the playoffs for the 1st time in a while but do you want to make moves this year, probably not ready to contend really yet. Philly could drop out yet 3rd in Metro is easier to catch than WC2.

Jersey needs a goalie- will they do it?

If there are not as many buyers as expected watch for Det to look for Bargains late on deadline day, they have the Cap space.

Interesting year Fla could be a buyer but have not had a 1st rd pick in forever, none until 2026.
If I am a buyer I am waiting for prices to fall

Reactions: RogerRoger

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Vancouver, Florida, Boston, Winnipeg, Tampa have spent their firsts this year already.

The top 8 in each conference is actually really well defined at this point. The East is pretty much set for playoff teams and the West is basically determining the final wildcard spot between NSH/STL/MIN

Yea, but a team like Toronto can not keep bleeding assets away just to lose in the 1st or 2nd round again. They need to keep their premium assets, which they have very little of, and see what the team can do as is. There are other contenders who are probably in the same boat.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think this year is going to prove to be really slow in general unfortunately.

The rental market is pretty abysmal at this point and it doesn't sound like a particularly interesting market for non rentals as well.

I think a lot of teams are going to end up doing very little in anticipation of a much more busy summer when the cap freeze finally lifts and different teams have room to make moves.

Which isn't to say we don't get any deals between now and the deadline. But I don't think we get a lot and maybe only a couple deals involving non rentals.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
In recent years, trades have been completed weeks ahead of the trade deadline, leaving the day (which I consider to be a national holiday and do very little work) kinda boring. The hosts will check their phones, go over previous trades made earlier in the season, and chat about anything that comes in. It's been super quiet since the Lindholm and Monahan trades, maybe this year will actually be fun and full of trades. Lots can happen in the next week plus, but I think we all love a busy deadline day.
After years of little salary cap growth... most of the league lacks cap space at this point. Every day/game played counts in adding some modest cap space as we march towards March 8th.

2022-2023: March 3rd Deadline

Jan 30th - Bo Horvat trade
Feb 5th - Jaycob Megna trade
Feb 9th - Vladimir Tarasenko trade
Feb 17th - Ryan O'Reilly trade
Feb 19th - Tyler Motte trade
Feb 22nd - Nikita Zaitsev trade
Feb 23rd - Dmitri Orlov trade
Feb 25th - 3 trades
Feb 26th - 6 trades
Feb 27th - 2 trades
Feb 28th - 10 trades
Mar 1st - 9 trades
Mar 2nd - 7 trades
Mar 3rd - 19 trades

2023-2024: March 8th Deadline

Jan 31st - Elias Lindholm trade
Feb 2nd - Sean Monahan trade
Feb 22nd - Emil Bemstrom trade
Feb 5th - Jaycob Megna trade... I'll never forget this day.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
At this rate looks like nothing will happen.
I guess that’s all a matter of whether you’re a glass half full or glass half empty perspective.

Some would say “nothing so far” means “nothing is the new normal” and expect this is a sign of nothing going forward.

Some would say “nothing so far” means “all the trades are being delayed to the last day” and expect this is a sign of a higher density of late trades.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Then there are teams that are either barely in, or barely out of the playoffs, who will just be standing pat. I don't see their GM's being willing to face the backlash if they sell, nor do they believe enough in their chances to do more than a "Pitlick" trade, that pretends to do something while doing nothing at all.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland

True, but many of the teams that still has a 1st left, have already sold a lot of draft capital for both - past and coming years.

For example ;
- Edmonton has already traded two picks this for this draft, and 2nd for '25.
- Rangers has already traded 2nds for both '25 and '26, and a 3rd for this year.
- Stars has already traded away two picks for this draft
- Leafs has already traded 1st for '25 , and 2nds for all three; 24,25 & 26.
- Kings has already traded 2nd, 3rd and 5th this year
- Avs has already traded 2nds for both '24 & '25, and 3rd '24.

- Canucks has already traded 1st and 2nd this year, 3rd for both '25 and '26
- Panthers has already traded 1sts for both '24 & '25. And a 2nd for this year too.
- Bruins has already traded 1st, 2nd, 3rd for this year, and 2nd and 4th for next year.
- Jets traded their 1st for this year
- Tampa has traded 1st for '24 & '25, alongside their 2nd this year.

For these 11 contending teams, next 3 years traded already out total of;
8 x 1st
14 x 2nd
8 x 3rd

So, a lot of used draft capital as it is. Its 22/66 of all the top60 picks these teams have total as together for next 3 years, a third of all the picks. Add in the picks these teams used for last two trade deadlines, and it really mounts up.

You often hear GM's saying stuff like "we dont want to trade away 1st round picks for two drafts in a row" etc. Interesting to see if these same teams still decide to go heavy.

I do hope for the fireworks!

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Usually it's trade deadline week.

A few teams are within striking distance but if they have a bad 1.5 weeks - they may sell.

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
In recent years, trades have been completed weeks ahead of the trade deadline, leaving the day (which I consider to be a national holiday and do very little work) kinda boring. The hosts will check their phones, go over previous trades made earlier in the season, and chat about anything that comes in. It's been super quiet since the Lindholm and Monahan trades, maybe this year will actually be fun and full of trades. Lots can happen in the next week plus, but I think we all love a busy deadline day.
Obvious jinx thread is obvious

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad