Speculation: At this rate, the Trade Deadline may actually be a busy day.

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
In recent years, trades have been completed weeks ahead of the trade deadline, leaving the day (which I consider to be a national holiday and do very little work) kinda boring. The hosts will check their phones, go over previous trades made earlier in the season, and chat about anything that comes in. It's been super quiet since the Lindholm and Monahan trades, maybe this year will actually be fun and full of trades. Lots can happen in the next week plus, but I think we all love a busy deadline day.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
There is still 10 days left. With a lot of teams being so close to the cap, it makes sense to wait to capitalize on space. Doesn't mean that deals in principle aren't being worked out as we speak.

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
There is still 10 days left. With a lot of teams being so close to the cap, it makes sense to wait to capitalize on space. Doesn't mean that deals in principle aren't being worked out as we speak.
I agree, and I’m not complaining, I enjoy a busy deadline day. Wonder if they’re waiting for someone to get moved before other things happen, or if it’s the maximization of cap space.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
More buyers are in LTIR than not. I'm guessing it's a game of 'who blinks first?'

A 1st for Henrique or Tanev is a rational expectation in the context of recent deadline activity, but that doesn't make it a desirable deal. There's a real disconnect between what teams are willing to spend in this era vs. a decade ago. Given how underwhelming those trades generally are, the league should pull back at some point. Maybe this is the year, Monahan notwithstanding.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Lots of teams that likely end up selling are still somewhat in the race too, and those teams aren't forced to move their assets just yet. They can hold out for a premium price and make the decision after this week.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I think Tanev will set off a lot of smaller moves on the back end, I think he's kind of the dam on defence more than Hanifin. I thought Lindholm and Monahan would get more going up front though so who knows

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
More buyers are in LTIR than not. I'm guessing it's a game of 'who blinks first?'

A 1st for Henrique or Tanev is a rational expectation in the context of recent deadline activity, but that doesn't make it a desirable deal. There's a real disconnect between what teams are willing to spend in this era vs. a decade ago. Given how underwhelming those trades generally are, the league should pull back at some point. Maybe this is the year, Monahan notwithstanding.

I'd bank more on the fact that Calgary is basically setting all the important markets. Monahan moved because Lindholm moved, the center market has been set, but the center market isn't great beyond Henrique and his contract (as well as other C rentals) will likely require retention. The different D markets are unlikely to really see major movement until Hanifin and Tanev move. The winger market isn't set by Calgary, but Guentzel is option #1 and Pittsburgh isn't a traditional seller.

Reactions: CDN24

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Speculation from Edmonton is they're waiting until the last possible minute to maximize their cap space accrual. I'd imagine a few other teams are in a similar boat, trying to scratch together as much cap space as they can.

Not sure about everyone else, but Edmonton's moves are likely to come at the 11th hour.

We've been connected to all kinds of players in the last couple weeks. Walker, Eberle, Buchnevich, Malynstyn, Dowd, *sigh* and lesser options like Edmundson, Carrick, Kunin...

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
In recent years, trades have been completed weeks ahead of the trade deadline, leaving the day (which I consider to be a national holiday and do very little work) kinda boring. The hosts will check their phones, go over previous trades made earlier in the season, and chat about anything that comes in. It's been super quiet since the Lindholm and Monahan trades, maybe this year will actually be fun and full of trades. Lots can happen in the next week plus, but I think we all love a busy deadline day.
or there will be very few trades

problem is that too many teams are up against the cap. Vegas of course will go out and add two top 6 forwards shortly but not all teams are in that position

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
2022-2023: March 3rd Deadline

Jan 30th - Bo Horvat trade
Feb 5th - Jaycob Megna trade
Feb 9th - Vladimir Tarasenko trade
Feb 17th - Ryan O'Reilly trade
Feb 19th - Tyler Motte trade
Feb 22nd - Nikita Zaitsev trade
Feb 23rd - Dmitri Orlov trade
Feb 25th - 3 trades
Feb 26th - 6 trades
Feb 27th - 2 trades
Feb 28th - 10 trades
Mar 1st - 9 trades
Mar 2nd - 7 trades
Mar 3rd - 19 trades

2023-2024: March 8th Deadline

Jan 31st - Elias Lindholm trade
Feb 2nd - Sean Monahan trade
Feb 22nd - Emil Bemstrom trade

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Speculation from Edmonton is they're waiting until the last possible minute to maximize their cap space accrual. I'd imagine a few other teams are in a similar boat, trying to scratch together as much cap space as they can.

Not sure about everyone else, but Edmonton's moves are likely to come at the 11th hour.

We've been connected to all kinds of players in the last couple weeks. Walker, Eberle, Buchnevich, Malynstyn, Dowd, *sigh* and lesser options like Edmundson, Carrick, Kunin...
To be fair, with Carrick wasn't he an add to Henrique in those rumors? I thought it was Rico+Carrick for a 1st+ I forgot what (prospect).

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Record number of sellers? Looking at the standings it's wild how compressed the buyers are now. A lot of teams well out of it early.

Reactions: RogerRoger

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I'd bank more on the fact that Calgary is basically setting all the important markets. Monahan moved because Lindholm moved, the center market has been set, but the center market isn’t great beyond Henrique and his contract (as well as other C rentals) will likely require retention. The different D markets are unlikely to really see major movement until Hanifin and Tanev move. The winger market isn't set by Calgary, but Guentzel is option #1 and Pittsburgh isn't a traditional seller.
Brock Nelson says hello. We’re just not sure Lou heard him. His hearing aids may be out.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
To be fair, with Carrick wasn't he an add to Henrique in those rumors? I thought it was Rico+Carrick for a 1st+ I forgot what (prospect).
Henrique's actually good so I don't usually believe we're connected until it happens haha.

Stauffer (the Oilers Entertainment Group) mouthpiece has been going on and on about Carrick for weeks. It would be nice to grab Henrique, but Carrick is incredibly mediocre.

Reactions: lwvs84

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
A tight race and limited ufa pool means prices are high from selling teams . I think there's a game of chicken being played

Reactions: CDN24

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
It will suck like usual. I’ll waste the entire day being unproductive at work, waiting with baited breathe for one of the Pitlicks for future considerations to be announced at 3:01 while an 8 person media panel makes up dumb crap to talk about to fill all that dead time.

It’s just an annual tradition.
Hey one of those Pitlicks is going to net us a shiny 6th rounder in 2027

• Haha
Reactions: BKarchitect

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
It might just be quieter season on trades regards anyways. A lot of contenders have gone double all-in past years, and mostly same teams are in it again. These buyers have a lot of used draft capital already, they propably arent as trigger happy this tdl as they were prior.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
It might just be quieter season on trades regards anyways. A lot of contenders have gone double all-in past years, and mostly same teams are in it again. These buyers have a lot of used draft capital already, they propably arent as trigger happy this tdl as they were prior.
Depends who you see as a contender.

Vancouver, Florida, Boston, Winnipeg, Tampa have spent their firsts this year already.
Vegas, Edmonton, NYR, Dallas, Toronto, Carolina, LAK, still have theirs.

And then there's 2025, 2026 picks, prospects, etc.

The top 8 in each conference is actually really well defined at this point. The East is pretty much set for playoff teams and the West is basically determining the final wildcard spot between NSH/STL/MIN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad