At their Absolute Peak for a Must Win Game, who you Got?

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
So a simple game to have some friendly banter going. Name two players who play (or played) relatively the same position, and the next poster will briefly explain his choice of the two that would give him the best chance of winning the match and then suggest another duel. Other posters can obviously chime in on proposed matchups, but similarly to the trivia thread, the first to answer should propose the next matchup.

This is not about who had the better or longer career, we’re talking about two players at the absolute peak of their abilities to win a single game.

Only rules would be to select players from the same era, within reason, just to avoid some silliness like Pélé vs Messi or what have you. Also, the positions of the players should be similar, Peter Cech versus Totti, for example, would just be dumb.

I’ll start, at their absolute peak for a must win game, who you got, Frank Lampard or Steven Gerrard?

Reactions: robertmac43

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Kaka.
Rivaldo was a fantastic player but he never took a whole offense on his back like Kaka IMO.

Baresi or Maldini?

That one is interesting. Feels like Baresi is a bit underrated (or maybe better forgotten) these days?

I would have to pick Baresi. Obviously Maldini was among the best ever himself, but I can't help thinking Baresi would have been bigger outside of Italy if he have had Maldini´s looks. Should be said that I clearly didn't watch a lot of Milan games in the 80s so if we got some "old" Italians on here they might very well tell me I´m wrong.

The others are easier for me. Gerrard could dominate a game Lampard never could. At his peak I would say that is quite easy. Lampard was ridiculously consistent, but never had the peak level Gerrard had. Kaka is also quite easy. He was an absolute force for 90 mins a way Rivaldo never was.

Luis Suarez or Ibrahimovic?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
That one is interesting. Feels like Baresi is a bit underrated (or maybe better forgotten) these days?

I would have to pick Baresi. Obviously Maldini was among the best ever himself, but I can't help thinking Baresi would have been bigger outside of Italy if he have had Maldini´s looks. Should be said that I clearly didn't watch a lot of Milan games in the 80s so if we got some "old" Italians on here they might very well tell me I´m wrong.

The others are easier for me. Gerrard could dominate a game Lampard never could. At his peak I would say that is quite easy. Lampard was ridiculously consistent, but never had the peak level Gerrard had. Kaka is also quite easy. He was an absolute force for 90 mins a way Rivaldo never was.

That’s a tough one. I think I lean Suarez here, his peak was special.

Bastian Schweinsteiger or Michael Ballack?

Reactions: Havre

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Del Piero no doubt.
At his peak he was head and shoulders above Totti.

Campos or Chilavert?

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
If I can only have one for a big game coming up, I believe Hazard gives me a better shot at winning it. He's more of a match winner than Salah to me.

Vieira or Yaya Touré?

Give me Vieira. He was insane defensively at his peak.

Wayne Rooney or Sergio Aguero

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Give me Vieira. He was insane defensively at his peak.

Wayne Rooney or Sergio Aguero
Rooney was a much better playmaker and all round player. Better to watch as well. Slightly worse goalscorer but not by much.

Zlatan or Lewandowski?

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Rooney was a much better playmaker and all round player. Better to watch as well. Slightly worse goalscorer but not by much.

Zlatan or Lewandowski?

Might upset some people with this one, and it may be recency bias. But lewandowski for me. He has achieved more and I'd feel more comfortable with him finishing in a big setting.

Robben or Ribery

Last edited:

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world

I only got to see Maldini near his retirement years. My coworker told me he felt Baresi was the better player.

Last edited:
Reactions: Havre

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Tevez for me, I think his peak was better. I also can't forgive Higuain for his play with Argentina.

Salah vs Hazard

Hazard very comfortably for me - very few players could take over a game like that.

Zlatan or Lewandowski?

Lewandowski's ruthless efficiency takes this for me.

Might upset some people with this one, and it may be recency bias. But lewandowski for me. He has achieved more.

Robben or Ribery

This is tough, especially because Robben had a well deserved reputation for bottling in big games until later in his career. But his 2014 WC is, for my money, the best that either of them ever were.

the count. could dominate a game with a cigarette in his mouth.

Donovan or Dempsey?

Dempsey easily.

Santi Cazorla or Tomas Rocisky

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
that was a hard one. gotta go with cazorla then, he was not as much injured as rosicky was.

Jan Koller or Peter Crouch
Koller easily, achieved so much more on the European spectrum than Crouch who was stuck at Stoke during his prime and wasn't necessarily their best player during that time frame as well.

Nicolas Anelka or Abou Diaby (In their primes and without injury history being taken into account please)????

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I guess people can answer in whatever way they want of course, but seems like many aren't answering the question - one game for a player in their absolute peak.

It doesn't really matter then does it if a player has been injured a lot etc.?

Reactions: luiginb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad