Prospect Info: At 9th Overall the Detroit Red Wings Select Michael Rasmussen

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Look at even strength production, Vilardi blows him out of the water. Another great first round draft pick from Detroit.

yeah i didnt like the pick but all we can do is root for Rasmussen and hope for the best. His playoff run is a pleasant surprise after a lackluster regular season. Should be fun watching him on the wings next year.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
This thread needs to be bumped. RAS is DOMINATING the playoffs right now. 19 points in 6 games.

#wasteddraftpick :biglaugh:

oh wow 6 whole games? such a massive sample size there

he literally had a sample size 8 times as big as that immediately before it where he didn't even lead his own team in scoring(partially due to games played but he only even lead in points per game by an incredibly small margin)

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

he literally had a sample size 8 times as big as that immediately before it where he didn't even lead his own team in scoring(partially due to games played but he only even lead in points per game by an incredibly small margin)

If this production is legitimate, it obviously doesn't mean he is all of a sudden a lottery pick, but its nice to see a prospect dominating in the playoffs.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Yeah he's doing great these playoffs. I still would have liked to see more improvement in the regular season, but dominating the playoffs is a good sign. I hope he can keep it up.

Reactions: TheMule93

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com

Players can break out at different times. Tyler Bertuzzi didn’t really emerge until the playoffs and has never shown much of a regular season flair. Guys like Claude Lemieux made a career out of excelling in playoffs with only modest regular season results.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Not sold on him. All his goals are scored as tip ins, simply because he’s a big guy and can easily dominate the front of the net in these leagues. Won’t be the case in pros. We shouldn’t have wasted a pick on a guy who at best will turn out to be a poor man’s Holmstrom.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

78 points in 53 games.

Not sold on him. All his goals are scored as tip ins, simply because he’s a big guy and can easily dominate the front of the net in these leagues. Won’t be the case in pros. We shouldn’t have wasted a pick on a guy who at best will turn out to be a poor man’s Holmstrom.
Tip-ins are way more about hand-eye than size. Regardless, unless he shrinks he’ll still have a size advantage on 99.9% of NHLers.
You must have also missed that he has 10 assists, many of them nice ones and that he has a few snipes and many shots on goal.

But I guess all that counts in juniors is who makes the most hotdog moves that won’t translate to the NHL.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Lets see what he does at camp. everyone bitching about him being a net front guy you do realize that opens up Mantha to use his shot and get away from the net.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Yeah he's doing great these playoffs. I still would have liked to see more improvement in the regular season, but dominating the playoffs is a good sign. I hope he can keep it up.
Again, this is a guy who opted for surgery mid season because he was sick of playing in pain. It's extremely encouraging that this is what a healthy Rasmussen looks like.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
A poor man's Holmstrom? At best?

He can retrieve the puck, and take it to the net himself. He's a little bit more mobile than Homer.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Guys. Rasmussen was picked #9... not # 1-3.
What do you expect?

He is playing great right now... all you party poopers can suck it (for now). When Vilardi becomes a top 10 scorer in the league 3 years from now, then you can all cry about missing him.

In either case both of these players are "busts" until they make the NHL, and put up 50+ pts.

Reactions: kliq

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Big, strong, can skate, good work ethic, defensively responsible, good hands, can score in-tight, drives the net and is hard to move once there. These are all skills that translate perfectly into the NHL.

Reactions: BinCookin

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida

Lmfao.

Rasmussen is an immeasurably better skater and by extension backchecker than Holmstrom ever was. He also likely stays a center, maybe a year on the Wing to help acclimate him. Most underrated prospect we’ve had in quite some time tbh

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
The nitpicking is outrageous.

Dude is putting up 3PPG in the playoffs and you guys still can't swallow it.

Its because he had a lackluster 50 game regular season, then suddenly he has a great 6 game playoff run and suddenly everyones all like SEE I TOLD YOU SO RASMUSSEN WAS SUCH AN AWESOME PICK I LOVE HOLLAND I TOLD U SO!!!!!. No shit people arent sold on him.

We all want him to do well. Him playing well for a 6 game stretch doesn't mean much. If he continues to produce like this for an entire run then yeah, that's when you start to reshape your opinion on him.

Reactions: Filppula and Frk It

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad