Prospect Info: At 9th Overall the Detroit Red Wings Select Michael Rasmussen

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Liljegren. That's the pick that should of been made. The one gaping constant hole we've had since lids retired. The kid has all the potential in the world. The hockey gods were like here is a top talent in a position of extreme need dropped into your laps. Holland was all like nah bro give me poor man's discount primeau instead!

If anything, he's more of an Jacub Kindl replacement than a Nik Lidstrom replacement. Liljegren is overrated.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Rasmussen plays a game like Ryan O'Reilly or Jordan Staal. Hate it or not, but those kind of workhorses are important, especially when our skill is positioned on the wing. He creates a whole line when you insert any duo of our midget wingers with him.

I'm quite sure our future skilled 1st line center isn't drafted yet.

His two way game is one of the things he needs to work on. Don't think ROR and Staal are good comparisons. Both were well regarded defensively from the get go. Poehling is probably the closest to ROR.

FWIW, Rasmussen compares himself to Sundin. He actually studies gametape of Sundin, which kinda surprised me. Being a Surrey boy and Nucks fan growing up, I figured he'd be watching Linden or Naslund or the Sedins.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Despite me wanting Necas, im just now hoping Rasmussen turns out to be a top 9 player down the road. Wings can't really afford to have these picks not turn out and something like Necas or Brannstrom be home runs. For the record I really wanted to get one of Necas or Brannstrom/Suzuki with this pick.

I think my hope is that he becomes a franzen type top niner which would be fine unless he sudden develops incredible playmaking skills to be a center. As i said before, hes a very direct attack player so i don't think hes a good play driver as a center.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
FWIW, Rasmussen compares himself to Sundin. He actually studies gametape of Sundin, which kinda surprised me. Being a Surrey boy and Nucks fan growing up, I figured he'd be watching Linden or Naslund or the Sedins.

Definitely not a Sundin type of player, but if he works toward that goal, I would be happy if he becomes half of the player Sundin was.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
What a complete farce of a season this turned out to be. Another wasted season to mark into Holland's legacy.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Liljegren. That's the pick that should of been made. The one gaping constant hole we've had since lids retired. The kid has all the potential in the world. The hockey gods were like here is a top talent in a position of extreme need dropped into your laps. Holland was all like nah bro give me poor man's discount primeau instead!

The guy who couldn't cut it on the top PP unit of Team Sweden in the U18s?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I was really disappointed at the time of the pick (still am) due to me being so hooked on Vilardi, something I was very open about leading up to the draft. I was also low on Rasmussen in comparison to our slot, from the first linking for Detroit to Rasmussen I was vocally anti-Ras. Thought he was a good pick at ~15.

Now that I've come to terms with the pick I'm not as sour, there's a lot to like about Michael Rasmussen. Everyone says how good he is of a skater in reference to his size but he's a solid skater regardless, better than Svech at the time of their drafts. I saw Svech as a strong skater but low top end speed at the time of his selection. In regards to his size I think that he will be able to hone his game now that his growth is starting to slow, it's hard to get used to a body that is always changing. There's no doubt the kid has great hand control in close for his size, that's how he puts in the dirty work, and though the kids were smaller in the WHL I think he will continue to be able to be a force in front of the net at the highest level - he's tenacious and hard to move.

I would've liked a player with more upside, but the fact of the matter is Rasmussen wasn't that big of a reach and he could quite easily turn into a better NHLer than Suzuki, Necas, and even my guy Vilardi.

I really hope he turns into a good player, I think the ability is there, I'm kinda bummed about it because I don't see him more than a mid-line tweener (very possibly @ wing) that's on the PP.

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
Honest question -- What has our WHL scout ever given us?

Hicketts?

Thats about it, watch the WHL quite a bit and I'm still a bit bitter that they didn't pick Ethan Bear in 2015. Would still gladly trade JVP for Bear too.

Him and Theodore are the only 2 that I can see that the Wings 'missed' out on considering who was available when they drafted.

Oh Sam Steel, was pretty high on the kid.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Its not like Rasmussen is a bad player its just really questionable where they picked him. We have to trust the scouts and Holland know what they are doing and trust is at its lowest in the last 25 years or so.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Btw, those garbage goals are still goals, and it seems like Rasmussen is great around the net on the PP, our team as it seems sucks on the PP, so this may be a good fit if it works out.

A lot of the blame for the failed PP falls onto the coaching staff. The PP formation Detroit used was absolutely terrible at exploiting Mike Green. It was always overload in the corner and look for cross pass. Its pretty rare you even see a point shot on the PP from Detroit.

Even when the PP was struggling mightily the coaching staff failed to even attempt any tweaks to the PP formation. The breakins were awful as well, Kindl did a better job breaking in on the PP (the rare times he was put on the PP and inexplicably they had him take it from center into the zone) than the Wings did this past season.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Its not like Rasmussen is a bad player its just really questionable where they picked him. We have to trust the scouts and Holland know what they are doing and trust is at its lowest in the last 25 years or so.

Exactly. Rasmussen is a surefire NHLer, the problem is, he probably has little chance of ever being a dynamic one.

With that being said, I'm still happy at this pick. People forget he was on pace for 50+ goals in his draft season before the injury. My issue is Holland took the guy who has an 75% chance of being a 20 goal 40 point guy, over the guy with a real chance of becoming a first line center

His two way game is one of the things he needs to work on. Don't think ROR and Staal are good comparisons. Both were well regarded defensively from the get go. Poehling is probably the closest to ROR.

Players with his style, Hornquist, Bjugstad, Lee, are very valuable, but in general are the tap in or redirect guy. They don't drive the offense on their own.

He actually plays similar to a center version of Bertuzzi and Perry stylistically, with less passing ability

Last edited:

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
There is no draft ever where there is a "slam dunk star player" available at 9. But if you want to build a new core with 7-15 picks, like folks have been telling me is possible, you're going to need to go with higher upside guys than this IMO.

Sergachev is pretty much a slam dunk top 4 D with top pairing potential. He went 9th overall just last year.

Elhers was taken 9th in 2014 and he was tied for 30th in points this past season.

Hortvat was taken 9th in 2013 and led the terrible Canucks with 52 points.

Trouba was taken 9th in 2012 and is getting 25 minutes a game in Winnipeg.

Hamilton was taken 9th in 2011 and he was pretty much a slam dunk to be a star. 50 points from the backend? Thats pretty amazing.

Granlund was taken 9th in 2010 and finally had his breakout offensive year with 69 points, tied for 20th in league scoring.

Jared Cowen was taken 9th in 2009. Big bodied defenceman at 6'5, his career might be is over after being boughtout by the Leafs. He played 249 games for Ottawa.

Josh Bailey was taken 9th in 2008 had 56 points playing top forward minutes with the Islanders. Second in team scoring behind Tavares, 55th in league scoring.

Couture 2007, 3rd in team scoring with 52 points.

As you can see being drafted 9th overall dooms you to be a loser. :laugh:

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Sergachev is pretty much a slam dunk top 4 D with top pairing potential. He went 9th overall just last year.

Elhers was taken 9th in 2014 and he was tied for 30th in points this past season.

Hamilton was taken 9th in 2011 and he was pretty much a slam dunk to be a star. 50 points from the backend? Thats pretty amazing.

Granlund was taken 9th in 2010 and finally had his breakout offensive year with 69 points, tied for 20th in league scoring.

Jared Cowen was taken 9th in 2009. Big bodied defenceman at 6'5, his career might be is over after being boughtout by the Leafs. He played 249 games for Ottawa.

Josh Bailey was taken 9th in 2008 had 56 points playing top forward minutes with the Islanders. Second in team scoring behind Tavares, 55th in league scoring.

As a winger with an elite center to create chances for him I could see Ras being a 30/20 guy. Problem is that he's not a core piece, he's a piece you want when you have a core. Just like just about every other player on this team these days.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Exactly. Rasmussen is a surefire NHLer, the problem is, he probably has little chance of ever being a dynamic one.

With that being said, I'm still happy at this pick. People forget he was on pace for 50+ goals in his draft season before the injury. My issue is Holland took the guy who has an 75% chance of being a 20 goal 40 point guy, over the guy with a 40%ish chance of being a first line center.

Players with his style, Hornquist, Bjugstad, Lee, are very valuable, but in general are the tap in or redirect guy. They don't drive the offense on their own.

He actually plays similar to a center version of Bertuzzi and Perry stylistically, with less passing ability

In what world does Vilardi have a 40% chance of becoming a 1st line NHL center? I am not even sure he has a 40% chance of playing center in the NHL period with his feet. Players projected on draft day to be first-line centers are not available at 9. I am sorry to be the one to **** in your Cheerios.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Weird... I didn't say "good players can't be found at #9"

I said "slam dunk star players aren't found at #9"... The "slam dunk" part implies it's a certainty. That's more like what you get at pick #1 or #2. You certainly have some guys listed above who aren't stars and won't become stars.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Weird... I didn't say "good players can't be found at #9"

I said "slam dunk star players aren't found at #9"... The "slam dunk" part implies it's a certainty. That's more like what you get at pick #1 or #2. You certainly have some guys listed above who aren't stars and won't become stars.
It was basically just list of past 10 drafted players at 9th overall.

Hamilton was a slamdunk star.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

What this list really reminds me of is maybe the kid ranked #9 on Bobby Mac's list and that went #9 is probably a little better than most people are talking about...

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
This author had Ram taken in the top 10
https://www.defendingbigd.com/2017/...rasmussen-dbd-tri-city-americans-whl-bjugstad

He addresses his question marks and follows them up with why they aren't a concern given his talent.

Article was published June 2nd. Good read.
The article states that his skating and 5v5 production shouldn't be a concern. But they don't say anything to refute that he will largely be parked near the net, and isn't known for creativity on offense, as opposed to taking advantage of others setting up the play.

If he ends up being the next Holmstrom, but stronger and a better skater, that's an asset to have. But by the time he sees the ice, Hank will be gone, and Detroit has nobody else to drive the offense, in order to create the scenarios to take advantage of what Rasmussen brings to the table.

If they're lucky enough find a 1C in the next draft or two, things might come together nicely, and Rasmussen could dovetail in quite well. But he strikes me as a Robin without a Batman until that happens.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
If anything, he's more of an Jacub Kindl replacement than a Nik Lidstrom replacement. Liljegren is overrated.

I'm curious to what your response would have been if we had drafted Lilegren and most posters were complaining about it?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I was ok with passing on Liljegren, even though I think he still has good potential.

My issue with Rasmussen isn't necessarily that I think he's bad or will bust, just that his strengths aren't what I think this team needs most.

The guys I wanted I don't think are guaranteed to be better players, but rather I think they possess qualities this team could use more. Sorry to beat a dead horse, but those things are playmaking ability and possession drivers that make those around them better. In this draft I thought Vilardi, Petterson, Necas, Suzuki exemplified those qualities best.

Plus big goal scorers or guys that can't play net front all the time aren't that HARD to find. If you look at who has hit UFA the last few years you see Lucic, Ladd, Vanek, etc.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The article states that his skating and 5v5 production shouldn't be a concern. But they don't say anything to refute that he will largely be parked near the net, and isn't known for creativity on offense, as opposed to taking advantage of others setting up the play.
With regards to Rasmussen specifically, these criticisms seem to be less relevant. Not only does he possess the identifiable skating, shooting, passing and puck skills that allow him to impact the play in the open ice
Just watching highlight reels, I see plenty of ability with the puck. Passing, shooting, quick hands, good feet. I guess the question is just why he didn't produce more at ES and if it's an actual flaw in his game or just something that happened.
And if parking himself in front of the net is something he does because it's all he's good at, or just because that's what the coach wants him to do and he's so good at it and so on. I think of Svechnikov at the WJC and how negative people were about him, but he just seemed to be playing the role the coach gave him. If I'm a coach at the junior level, I'm probably putting the huge tower of a guy with good net-front abilities in front of the opposition goalie, even if he has more to his game than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad