Prospect Info: At 29th Overall the Blackhawks Select Henri Jokiharju (signed through 2020-21)

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So at the end no four season we had only Lucas Carlsson and Robin Press *as RD Right shot prospects..Now Stan has brought in Connor Murphy ,Darren Raddysh* and Henri Jokiharju into the system as RD Right shot Dmen. AT LEAST we have shores up.our system lack of depth at this position.

Now Stan needs to draft some more Centres and wingers this draft and sone more goalies for then pipeline.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014

*drool*

Powers had a pre draft article on him. He said he's a huge Hawks fan and that's where he was hoping to go. Can see how excited he gets talking about Kane and Toews making the selection;

NHL RankKing

Fantasy Guru
Aug 31, 2013
Hockeytown
www.nhlrankking.com
The Hawks knew exactly who they wanted and traded down knowing he'd still be there.
A bit disappointed that Oettinger was still there (and subsequently picked in the Hawks original position).

I'm hoping that Robertson slides to the Hawks or they trade up to get him

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Let's hope this Finn works. The Hawks have been far more successful with the country west of Finland.

Perhaps Markannen and Jokiharju can become roommates.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
:( I wanted him to Sabres at 37, watched him all season (W'hawks tv region) and you just know when he's on the ice. You're gonna love the kid.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
per nhl.com

29. Chicago Blackhawks (from Dallas Stars via Anaheim Ducks) - Henri Jokiharju, D, Portland (WHL)

NHL Central Scouting final North American ranking: 19
2016-17: 71 games, 9-39-48

The Finland-born, right-handed shot is an excellent skater and very elusive with the puck on his stick. Jokiharju (6-foot-0, 187 pounds) can beat the forecheck with a pass or by taking the puck himself and using his excellent vision and mobility. He had 18 points (four goals, 14 assists) on the power play and was named most valuable player for Team Don Cherry after getting three assists in a win against Team Bobby Orr in the CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game on Jan. 30.

NHL.com analysis: The right-handed shot is very smart and makes few mistakes. He's a good skater in all directions and can move the puck. Jokiharju has been compared to defenseman Ben Lovejoy.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-draft-picks-recap/c-290088112

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I like that pick. I wanted Poehling and after he was taken we traded down. We still had the choice between Jokiharju and Eeli. I'd be fine with either. Looks like Bowman saw the value of having a good young D and you can never have enough of them.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011

*drool*

Powers had a pre draft article on him. He said he's a huge Hawks fan and that's where he was hoping to go. Can see how excited he gets talking about Kane and Toews making the selection;

He pronounces his own name wrong. :laugh:

Dunno what to say. Why does he feel like he has to bow down to the "american way"?

The J should be pronounced like a Y.

And inb4 "he can decide how it's pronounced". No, he can not.

- a fellow Finn

Panzerspitze

Mar 4, 2010

Dunno what to say. Why does he feel like he has to bow down to the "american way"?

- a fellow Finn

He must have learned about the Whole Foods store in New York, where they would have a "produce butcher" chop the groceries for customers at the cost of USD$1/pound, so he decides to proactively butcher the pronunciation of his own name, just how the American consumers would like it, completely free of charge no less.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI

- a fellow Finn

You are correct, even though i'm around 70% Finn (could possibly be even more but not quite sure) and don't speak the language even i caught that. Either way good to see some Finns in the organization.

Kero i think is around 100% but don't think he knows any of the language but if these other Finns come to camp he will be able to relate to them and make them feel comfortable.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

- a fellow Finn

I have to guess it's close to impossible for these kiddos (and a lots of people) to switch to Finnish pronounciation all of the sudden in middle of speaking a sentence in English.

On then he's just a very jokey Harju.

Legend Leinonen

Apr 8, 2016
Finland
yeah I noticed the name pronounciation tomfoolery too.

It must be when you are speaking in English, it's hard to switch to Finn Talk in the middle, so you just scramble the Finnish words in American Way too, especially when the dude was propably little nervous there.

Anyway, sounded ridiculous. This guy will bust - can't even pronounce his own name

Legend Leinonen

Apr 8, 2016
Finland
Let's hope this Finn works. The Hawks have been far more successful with the country west of Finland.

Perhaps Markannen and Jokiharju can become roommates.

It's not hard to notice that fans of teams that have had earlier success with Finns tend to get more excited when drafting one.
I think there is no hope tho - Jokiharju is a surefire bust. He will bomb, you may quote this in 5 years.

Lauri Markkanen on the other hand is undervalued in my opinion. Big Money has serious skill.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Thanks for the vid. I really like the fact that he's not afraid to just use the wrist shot to put the puck on net from the point. Wish our current dmen would do that more often.

As an aside, it's like the Twilight Zone seeing the Indianhead on the ice, those uni's and numbers with different players than I'm used to seeing.

Very good observation and I wholeheartedly agree. It's an example of his intelligence and awareness. I like his game a lot. I thought he'd go around right late 1st/very early 2nd at the worse, so not far off. May be a "reach" of two or three spots for him but that doesn't mean anything at all and is rather silly to even point out. Meaningless. Good pick and I have little doubt he will be an NHL'er.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Liked him for PDX. Solid D-man but no Seth Jones (and Jones was 4th overall I believe).

Could see him as a 3-4 in a couple of years but I don't expect him on the roster this coming year.

Huokaus

Oct 29, 2010

Just read an article in a Finnish newspaper that Jokiharju has been a long-time Blackhawks fan - and actually was a bandwagoner at the beginning :laugh:
- "When they won the Stanley Cup in 2010, I was watching the game at 4am. That was the moment I became a fan of the team. I like the way they play"

He also says it was the best feeling he's ever had when his two heroes Kane and Toews announced his name at the draft.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Seems like a good fit for the organization. When can we expect him to be possibly ready to contend for a roster spot?

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Liked him for PDX. Solid D-man but no Seth Jones (and Jones was 4th overall I believe).

Could see him as a 3-4 in a couple of years but I don't expect him on the roster this coming year.

You get to a lot of WHL games being up in the NW?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad