Prospect Info: At 24th Overall the Jets Select Kristian Vesalainen

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Curious to know how high you guys are about Vesalainen; Would you guys accept a deal Tolvanen for Vesalainen?

Tolvanen has been mentioned at least 40 times in this thread, just read it all :naughty:

We have a lot of Finnish visitors on this board, you know.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Curious to know how high you guys are about Vesalainen; Would you guys accept a deal Tolvanen for Vesalainen?
We have Laine we don't need Tolvanen. Ves brings something different. Also, didn't we have the choice of which we wanted and we chose Ves why would we trade him for the other, before we see what he can do?

Reactions: ProspectsFanatic

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
We have Laine we don't need Tolvanen. Ves brings something different. Also, didn't we have the choice of which we wanted and we chose Ves why would we trade him for the other, before we see what he can do?

I made that comparison because all prospects rankings I seen in recent times put Tolvanen in front of Vesalainen, but I would tend to agree with you here, and I prefer Vesalainen ceiling.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I made that comparison because all prospects rankings I seen in recent times put Tolvanen in front of Vesalainen, but I would tend to agree with you here, and I prefer Vesalainen ceiling.

Mhm... People do sleep on Vesalainen to often do to Tolvanen’s success in the KHL. I disagree that Vesalainen has a bigger ceiling not because he doesn’t have a big ceiling but because they’re relitively email IMO, I mean I thinks Taresenko’s ceiling is Kucherov while Vesalainens is probably Kovalchuk(keep in mind I see ceilings as best case scenario), I don’t see a massive difference there. That said I think Vesalainen is a safer pick here due to his size and strength, I mean in the WJC U20 he was definitely the best player on Finland’s roster(and I’m definitely irritated that he didn’t make the WC or Olympics with his best PPG in Liiga and showing in the U20’s). Time will tell but I still think people are massively underrating the Vesalainen and imagine a massive gap in between him and Tolvanen when there is really not one in my opinion.

Anyways enough with the Tolvanen talk, let’s start imagining Vesalainen, Niku and Laine on the same Powerplay:yashin:

Reactions: Ippenator

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB

The Winnipeg Scouts had placed Vesalainen higher on their drafting list then where they had picked him. Right now I wouldn’t accept Tolvanen for Kristian based on that.

gearmex

Dec 28, 2016
Finland
Separate article from his time in the training camp, not sure if this was posted here already Suomen NHL-lupauksen hirmuveto hämmästyttää Winnipegissä - verrataan jo Patrik Laineen tykkiin: ”Miten hän tekee tuon? ”
some notes from Mike Mckintyre, wo things you immediately notice about Vesalainen watching him in person: His size. And his shot. Both are impressive. He fired a couple lasers past goalies this morning that had them shaking their heads like “How’d he do that?”
190cm

Reactions: JetsUK

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Separate article from his time in the training camp, not sure if this was posted here already Suomen NHL-lupauksen hirmuveto hämmästyttää Winnipegissä - verrataan jo Patrik Laineen tykkiin: ”Miten hän tekee tuon? ”
some notes from Mike Mckintyre, wo things you immediately notice about Vesalainen watching him in person: His size. And his shot. Both are impressive. He fired a couple lasers past goalies this morning that had them shaking their heads like “How’d he do that?”
190cm
Would be awesome to have a sniper like that on each side of the PP.

sashalaine

Apr 2, 2016
Helsinki
Another Vesalainen story (we'll probably get Laine stuff on the weekend when there's the Finnish NHL players' tennis tournament), some translated quotes:

- After the season I had three weeks off. I went to Mallorca with Eeli Tolvanen and saw some friends. Then got back to training. My body's 100 % so it's possible to train effectively.

He's training his body with Marko Yrjövuori (see couple posts above) and his skating with a professional skating coach.

- My goal is to improve my speed and explosiveness. I need to improve my puck skills and gain some mass too. I hit the ice twice a week through the summer. I want to be ready when the training camp starts.

He played soccer for a long time as a kid.

- I thought I was better at soccer. I was a centre-back, I was kind of a big monster who nobody was able to get past of. Back then I felt that I would keep playing soccer, but then I thought about how many professional soccer players come out of Finland compared to hockey, which one would be easier to play professionally.

- My soccer coach told me quit hockey when I had to be absent from practice a lot. Hockey team was more approving of playing both sports. There came the decision to keep playing hockey.

- My goal (for next season) is to play in the NHL. I feel it's possible, and I want to experience it. That's what I'm going for.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
I won't be surprised if Vesalainen plays full season in 1st team. Already better than half of our wingers & Yrjövuori knows what he is doing.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I won't be surprised if Vesalainen plays full season in 1st team. Already better than half of our wingers & Yrjövuori knows what he is doing.
well there is 1 open spot on roster. 3rd line winger. that would be the ideal spot to start.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
What if the trend continues that rookie will get some sweet scheif time like Connor and Laine before him? I am willing to bet that in that case K-Ves will pot 30 goals too. Especially if he gets some PP time.
Chevy seemed to indicate that KVes would get an opportunity to make the Jets.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Wait, why is Vesalainen working with a skating coach and on the ice every day to improve his skating? I thought Finns improved skating by not skating.
laine should go to his skating coach because laine's isn't working out that well.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Chevy seemed to indicate that KVes would get an opportunity to make the Jets.
every player who attends Jets training camp gets the opportunity to make the team.
i think that you divide the players into "realistic opportunity" vs "not likely" and Vesalainen's among the half dozen that are realistic.
from what we know about Vesalainen, i think we can agree that he's best to get his start with the Moose even for a dozen games.
if the team finishes training camp healthy, he likely won't be with the club. but you never know...

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
every player who attends Jets training camp gets the opportunity to make the team.
i think that you divide the players into "realistic opportunity" vs "not likely" and Vesalainen's among the half dozen that are realistic.
from what we know about Vesalainen, i think we can agree that he's best to get his start with the Moose even for a dozen games.
if the team finishes training camp healthy, he likely won't be with the club. but you never know...
I think there will be a line-up battle between Petan, K-Ves, Dano and Lemieux, assuming Petan and Dano aren't traded. I'd give the edge to Petan at this point. If K-Ves forces his way into the line-up, then Petan and/or Dano will likely be traded. Best option for the Jets will be to start with Petan and give him a good shot. If he plays well, then he is good trade bait when K-Ves is ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese