Prospect Info: At 20th Overall the Wild Select Jesper Wallstedt

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Don’t know much about him but of the videos of him, looks very quiet in net. Sound frame as well so with both that should play in this league as currently constructed. Franchise is extremely thin at the position so I get addressing it. In my view I would like to see some type of elite athleticism and/or standout ability that I’m not certain he has. Feel pretty confident he’s Backstrom level in this league when he’s ready which I think you are more than fine with at this point at the end of the day.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
Am I crazy or does his equipment/chest protector/arms look huge in pictures? Do they have the same equipment regulations as the NHL in other pro leagues?

01-helbild-1-Jesper-Wallstedt-rotated-1614548757-1607097139724.jpg

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I'm pretty happy with this pick. Obviously, there are some questions with taking a goalie in the first round, but it seems like he's getting some blue-chip praise as a likely #1 in the NHL.

If there had been someone like Lucius still on the board, I'd probably be a little salty, but this was a solid pick from what I can tell.

Reactions: MuckOG

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
I love this pick, can’t believe he fell that far. Don’t forget who the new head scout is, and the success he’s had with Swedes before. A lot of people were high on him even if Cossa went before him.

I have faith that he’s going to turn out just fine.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
curious, whats bracketts success rate with drafting goalies?
He took over as Director of Amateur Scouting in Vancouver in 2015. Since then, Vancouver drafted the following goalies:

2017: Michael DiPietro - 3rd round
2018: Matthew Thiessen - 7th round
2019: Arturs Silovs - 6th round

He was also a scout since 2008 for the Canucks, but impossible to know what say he had.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
He took over as Director of Amateur Scouting in Vancouver in 2015. Since then, Vancouver drafted the following goalies:

He was also a scout since 2008 for the Canucks, but impossible to know what say he had.

gotya gotya, was curious if hed drafted any notables that have had success yet. but looks like well have to wait a couple years to know for sure.

Reactions: Wild11MN

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Lulea has added a bunch off good players this off-season; I’d expect them to do pretty well this year considering they were already a good team. I think 2 years in the SHL and he’ll probably be ready to come over and split the net with Kahkonen. Kinda a perfect timeline given Talbots contract. Similar to the Knights timeline.

Reactions: Bazeek and MuckOG

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Lulea has added a bunch off good players this off-season; I’d expect them to do pretty well this year considering they were already a good team. I think 2 years in the SHL and he’ll probably be ready to come over and split the net with Kahkonen. Kinda a perfect timeline given Talbots contract. Similar to the Knights timeline.

I like the idea of him staying in SHL for one more season, then come over and spend a season (or part of a season) in the AHL getting used to the different angles associated with the North American rinks versus the larger sheets in the SHL before making his NHL debut.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I like the idea of him staying in SHL for one more season, then come over and spend a season (or part of a season) in the AHL getting used to the different angles associated with the North American rinks versus the larger sheets in the SHL before making his NHL debut.
I think goalies don't really need that much of an adjustment. The angles are the same, shots can just come from further out in all of them, which is easier on a goaltender.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I could see that being that path, but I also don’t know that it’s necessary. Vasilevskiy spent 2 years in Russia, then came over and got time in NHL/AHL

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011

Nucks fans seem to give him credit for drafting Demko in 2014

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The angles are completely different for a goalie on an Olympic size sheet.
When your main objective is to be square to the shooter, that angle is the same no matter the sheet size. Only the distance of the shooter you're squaring to is changed, so if they're further out, as a goaltender you stay more to the outer area of the crease to shrink what they can see of the net. That fundamental doesn't change as the ice size changes.

Those distances are harder on the shooter than they are on the goaltender. The closer in players get, you get back to normal NHL distances for shooters... and they're the more dangerous shots, which the NA ice will just see more frequently.

There are differences yes, but minor and easier for a goaltender to adjust for than a skater.

Reactions: thebus88

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
When your main objective is to be square to the shooter, that angle is the same no matter the sheet size. Only the distance of the shooter you're squaring to is changed, so if they're further out, as a goaltender you stay more to the outer area of the crease to shrink what they can see of the net. That fundamental doesn't change as the ice size changes.

Those distances are harder on the shooter than they are on the goaltender. The closer in players get, you get back to normal NHL distances for shooters... and they're the more dangerous shots, which the NA ice will just see more frequently.

There are differences yes, but minor and easier for a goaltender to adjust for than a skater.

gonna have to disagree on this.

as soon as you increase a size in a rink you increase angles that are non existent in smaller rinks, even if youre closer theres still those angles. changing a rink size changes the geometry of the whole zone. All of this doesnt even take into consideration the difference in speed played at the NHL level which is also something to take into account.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
gonna have to disagree on this.

as soon as you increase a size in a rink you increase angles that are non existent in smaller rinks, even if youre closer theres still those angles. changing a rink size changes the geometry of the whole zone. All of this doesnt even take into consideration the difference in speed played at the NHL level which is also something to take into account.
My point is, square to the shooter is still square to the shooter. For the goaltender, you're always trying to keep the shooter in front of you unless they're at the near impossible goalline angle or worse, below the goalline, then you're hugging the pipe.

That's an easier transition that doesn't take near the adjustment from large ice to small and vice versa.

A goaltender with good positioning, will have the same good positioning no matter the ice size, because you're trying to square to the shooter.

Backstrom was a positioning master in Europe, came here, zero adjustment needed, stole the job from Fernandez very quickly.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
My point is, square to the shooter is still square to the shooter. For the goaltender, you're always trying to keep the shooter in front of you unless they're at the near impossible goalline angle or worse, below the goalline, then you're hugging the pipe.

yes but the angles you expose by squaring up the the shooter are completely different when youre playing on bigger ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad