Prospect Info: At 18th Overall the Winnipeg Jets Select C Chaz Lucius

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
What I find most interesting about Kucherov is even Tampa who was smart enough to draft him still had him ranked below Namestnikov who was their 1st round pick.
Bit of a bump but it's likely that they they were picking based on where they expected the player to be taken. They could have had Kucherov ranked higher but decided to gamble to get both of them.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
What I found more interesting is why you’d bring Namestikov’s name up with regards to Kucherov.

Namestnikov isn’t you typical Russian. He’s lived in North America since he was 8 months old and was drafted out of the OHL. He spent a handful of years playing in Russia when his father, ex NHLer Evgeny, went home to play out the twilite of his career before returning to North America as a scout for the Leafs.

On that note, what better player to help transition all the recent Russian draft picks?
@ps241 brought it up because they were both taken in the same draft, so Tampa actually did choose Namestnikov over Kucherov. Which seems silly in hindsight but any gamble they took clearly paid off because they got both the players they wanted. I don't think it had anything to do with them being Russian.

Last edited:

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Jets version of Justin Williams. Hopefully he gets to Williams’ level but finds a way to avoid any more serious injuries without purposely steering clear of the hard areas of the ice.

He needs to play his game and not play scared of being injured.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Bit of a bump but it's likely that they they were picking based on where they expected the player to be taken. They could have had Kucherov ranked higher but decided to gamble to get both of them.

That is a helluva gamble. There were 31 picks between Names and Kuch. In a 30 team league so more than 1 entire rd. You are gambling that you are the ONLY team that has figured out how good Kuch will be.

I think the reality is simply that Kucherov surprised everybody, including TBL.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm not sure if this is a serious tournament, or if guys are just having a nice break before their season.
I’d say it is a serious tournament. Just about everyone who has a job evaluating talent in the organization would be watching closely. Best to come across as a serious player that has a pro future. Not a make or break for players but every impression on management is an important impression.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I’d say it is a serious tournament. Just about everyone who has a job evaluating talent in the organization would be watching closely. Best to come across as a serious player that has a pro future. Not a make or break for players but every impression on management is an important impression.

Yup, this is a chance for players to show management that they deserve a look in camp.

Reactions: KingBogo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad