OT: Association Football Thread (New York Red Bulls, USMNT, And All Soccer Discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyrmetros

May 3, 2007
Anyone catch the Champions League games last night? Great wins by both Kansas City and Portland.

BarbaraAlphanse

That was a very exciting end to that game. Wanted some haymakers thrown but this aint hockey. :naughty:

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
So did NYCFC make out ok in the expansion draft? I'm reading they did great but I have no clue.

The roster as it stands right now:

Forwards:
David Villa
Patrick Mullins
Tony Taylor

Midfielders:
Frank Lampard
Andrew Jacobson
Josh Williams
Ned Grabavoy
Daniel Lovitz
Mehdi Ballouchy
Thomas McNamara
Sal Zizzo

Defenders:
Kwame Watson-Siriboe
Jeb Brovsky
Jason Hernandez
George John
Chris Wingert

Goalkeeper:
Josh Saunders

Any other fans choosing to support NYCFC?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm all over NYCFC. I've never been that into the Red Bull just because I was more into the premiere league. Then this summer I saw Liverpool at Yankee Stadium and it was some experience, and I thought about going to games there all the time, and got super excited about NYCFC. I will definitely be a big City fan. Besides, Liverpool sucks this year so I need something to be psyched about in football.

Liverpool, NYCFC, and Deutsch Nationalmannschaft. My 3 teams. :)

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
I'm all over NYCFC. I've never been that into the Red Bull just because I was more into the premiere league. Then this summer I saw Liverpool at Yankee Stadium and it was some experience, and I thought about going to games there all the time, and got super excited about NYCFC. I will definitely be a big City fan. Besides, Liverpool sucks this year so I need something to be psyched about in football.

Liverpool, NYCFC, and Deutsch Nationalmannschaft. My 3 teams. :)

I'm all over NYCFC too I just don't know MLS players. (Not that I know depth players around the world)

Although I did lead Fleetwood Town to the top of the EPL table in Fifa 14! If NYCFC signs David Ball I'll know a player on the team besides Villa and Lampard.

What do you think of the expansion draft? I keep reading they did great compared to Orlando but I have no clue.

Any rumors on who the 3rd DP will be?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm not really sure how they did, I'm pretty new to MLS myself. The only guy I know really well is Lampard from watching the English league. But I'm looking forward to getting to know this team :yo:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So did NYCFC make out ok in the expansion draft? I'm reading they did great but I have no clue.

The roster as it stands right now:

Forwards:
David Villa
Patrick Mullins
Tony Taylor

Midfielders:
Frank Lampard
Andrew Jacobson
Josh Williams
Ned Grabavoy
Daniel Lovitz
Mehdi Ballouchy
Thomas McNamara
Sal Zizzo

Defenders:
Kwame Watson-Siriboe
Jeb Brovsky
Jason Hernandez
George John
Chris Wingert

Goalkeeper:
Josh Saunders

Any other fans choosing to support NYCFC?

I think they did well.

Grabavoy is a midfield veteran who is versatile enough to play a few different positions in midfield. Not really that great at anything, but does most things well and should be a productive player. Also played under Kreis at RSL.

Mullins was a rookie this season, and had a pretty good rookie season. Almost scored in MLS Cup. I was surprised he wasn't protected by New England. Good striker who had a good college career and has played well early in his MLS career.

John is a high upside pick. If he stays healthy, he could turn into the steal of the expansion draft. If healthy, he can be one of the best center backs in MLS, but he has a lot of trouble staying healthy.

I haven't seen much of McNamara but I hear he has some potential. Got injured early in the season and missed a lot of time.

Wingert is a solid veteran. Plays LB and does it well. Played for Kreis at RSL.

I'd be surprised if the rest of the players make much of an impact with NYCFC. Hope I helped.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm all over NYCFC too I just don't know MLS players. (Not that I know depth players around the world)

Although I did lead Fleetwood Town to the top of the EPL table in Fifa 14! If NYCFC signs David Ball I'll know a player on the team besides Villa and Lampard.

What do you think of the expansion draft? I keep reading they did great compared to Orlando but I have no clue.

Any rumors on who the 3rd DP will be?

Xavi has been the most rumored player, but he's sticking with Barcelona for now.

There have also been rumors of NYCFC wanting to get a US Mens National Team player. Jozy Altidore and Mix Diskerud have been the two main ones. Altidore's agent has said a return to MLS is unlikely. Diskerud is out of contract and could be looking at signing with an MLS club soon, but they don't seem to be the only MLS team interested in Diskerud.

YetAnotherNorwegian

Nov 1, 2010
Most of the roster is unknown to me, but Andrew Jacobson has been playing on loan for my team here in Norway this past season, and he's been great. You guys who follow MLS has probably seen him more than me during his FC Dallas stay tho.

Hopefully for you guys Villa can find back to his pre-Atletico form (not sure if he's gotten his groove back in Melbourne). Not the guy he once was, but if he could be OK in what is arguably the best league in the world, he should still be able to make a solid dent in MLS :)

As far as Diskerud is concerned he seems to still be on the fence as to re-signing with his team here back home, but as far as I can see they are demanding an answer by christmas.

Last edited:

ThisYearsModel

Mar 4, 2004
I know a few wine snobs that I enjoy making fun of. I think I have become a soccer snob. Try as I may, I have not been able to get interested in MLS at all. I watch the Premier league each week, I have seen a Premier league game in-person last year, and a Bayern Munich game in-person this year and compared to them, MLS looks like the UK Second division. I am going to try again with NYCFC. I have never been able to get interested in the Red Bulls, even though they play in my native NJ. Used to go to every Cosmos game as a kid. Now those were entertaining.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
I think they did well.

Grabavoy is a midfield veteran who is versatile enough to play a few different positions in midfield. Not really that great at anything, but does most things well and should be a productive player. Also played under Kreis at RSL.

Mullins was a rookie this season, and had a pretty good rookie season. Almost scored in MLS Cup. I was surprised he wasn't protected by New England. Good striker who had a good college career and has played well early in his MLS career.

John is a high upside pick. If he stays healthy, he could turn into the steal of the expansion draft. If healthy, he can be one of the best center backs in MLS, but he has a lot of trouble staying healthy.

I haven't seen much of McNamara but I hear he has some potential. Got injured early in the season and missed a lot of time.

Wingert is a solid veteran. Plays LB and does it well. Played for Kreis at RSL.

I'd be surprised if the rest of the players make much of an impact with NYCFC. Hope I helped.

It looks like they traded Sal Zizzo for a one year loan of goalkeeper Ryan Meara. From what I understand Meara can't start against the Red Bulls and Zizzo is not on loan from NYCFC. On the surface that seems like a strange move. I mean I couldn't tell Sal Zizzo from my next door neighbor but trading a guy for a one year loan seems a odd. Is that common?

http://www.hudsonriverblue.com/2014...ity-land-gk-ryan-meara-on-loan-from-red-bulls

Xavi has been the most rumored player, but he's sticking with Barcelona for now.

There have also been rumors of NYCFC wanting to get a US Mens National Team player. Jozy Altidore and Mix Diskerud have been the two main ones. Altidore's agent has said a return to MLS is unlikely. Diskerud is out of contract and could be looking at signing with an MLS club soon, but they don't seem to be the only MLS team interested in Diskerud.

Thanks for the info!

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
It looks like they traded Sal Zizzo for a one year loan of goalkeeper Ryan Meara. From what I understand Meara can't start against the Red Bulls and Zizzo is not on loan from NYCFC. On the surface that seems like a strange move. I mean I couldn't tell Sal Zizzo from my next door neighbor but trading a guy for a one year loan seems a odd. Is that common?

http://www.hudsonriverblue.com/2014...ity-land-gk-ryan-meara-on-loan-from-red-bulls

Its not common, but Meara was really good in his rookie season. Was looking like a real promising goalie, and then he got unlucky that New York Red Bulls brought in an established veteran GK who was just better than Meara. He's been their back up for the last two seasons.

Thanks for the info!

No problem. I'm going to try to get into NYCFC also. NYRB never appealed to me because of the way they run their team. Hopefully NYCFC can be better in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino