As The Game Evolves

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
On another thread, one poster mentioned that it seemed like forever since they'd last seen a hip check delivered. That got me thinking as to how this game has changed and evolved. There are events and situations that have become rarely seen in the modern game, and that's just part of the evolution of the sport.

As a for instance, when was the last time a "stand-up" goaltender made your team ? No touch icing is another innovation and for player safety reasons, I can see where that's been a positive change. Open ice hits are becoming fewer and farther between, and I suspect that's related to the element of head contact becoming a league concern. Fight aficionados probably have to go back several seasons to remember when they last witnessed a genuine bench-clearing brawl.

So, for those of us with still some memory cells left, what do you recall that has evolved out of the sport, or has changed significantly ?

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Hockey is the biggest thing missing!
Probably the latest innovation that has irked me the most, is the usage and reliance of video reviews. The time taken to supposedly "get the call right" has the effect of killing the momentum of the game. I realize that officials will miss infractions, and sometimes make a wrong call, but that too was part of the game. Before this video review stuff, calls were made and the teams lived with it and played through it.

And while I'm ranting, is there still such a thing as a goal judge, and if so, what's their function ?
Somebody has to turn on that red light that signals that a goal has been scored, or is that another job made redundant by technology ?

When was the last time a delay of game penalty was assessed due to a coach calling for a "stick measurement ? The referees had this device that measured the curvature of stick blades, and if a stick was found to be "illegal" that stick was confiscated and the player using it was given a 2 minute penalty for using illegal equipment.

Are jersey "tie downs" still a requirement, or have they gone into extinction in the rule books ?

Reactions: WillardJFredricks

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
The two-line pass is something that I'm glad was eliminated from the game...the game needed to evolve to be more offensive and this was a great change to open up the ice more.

I wish the goalies could still play the puck in the corners. I think goalies have become so 1-dimensional and don't really know how to play the puck anymore. They just sit in their crease and everyone once in a while skate behind to stop a puck. I think the game would be more exciting if they came out of the crease more.

Reactions: Purple Phart

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I find the crowd use to get more involved before all the new rules were installed. Coaches found ways to stall the play at face offs. Players took their sweet time getting set while the crowd screamed to drop the puck. Games took longer but I find it took some of the character out of the game for fans. Also you just don't see as many character players the last few years in the league like a Jordan Foreman or a Duco. They use to bother the crowd more than the players on the other bench. The NHL is all about gambling now. Most people cant afford a ticket to a game but they still want some sucker to spend the family grocery money betting on a game. I guess old Moose Vasco is spinning in his grave.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
99% of the games now are vanilla. They are track meets to the point we get not much more than shinny hockey most nights.

There’s no hate anymore. No real rivalries, at least what real rivalries used to provide the fanbase. One time you looked forward to a hated rival coming into your building. Now, for the most part, it doesn’t matter what jersey they’re wearing, there’s no difference team to team.

The physicality has dwindled to the point where you are afraid to dish out a big hit because you know incompetent refs will get excited about seeing the big hit and penalize regardless.

Someone mentioned the dying art of the hip check. They legislated them out of the league. A few years ago in Kitchener guys like Iafrate and Murphy would hand out textbook hip checks that would make the old timers from the 70’s proud. But they started getting penalties for, of all things, tripping?!? Absolute clean hip check where the player went ass over tea kettle onto the ice, no knee, just solid hip to hip were now called tripping.

We are more interested in getting the game over a quick as possible than providing what used to be considered entertaining hockey. The fast face off rule means few scrums that used to maybe create some animosity. Running the clock when there are four or five players freezing the puck in the corner, refusing to blow the whistle, so that the clock doesn’t stop. Some of these go on for what seems like forever. Where’s the entertainment in that? Like Don Cherry said sarcastically when they brought the fast face off rule in, “If you want the games over so fast, just run the clock off like in minor hockey.”

WillardJFredricks

May 7, 2004
Physical play, passion, intensity and rivalries all seem to be things of the past. Perhaps not as much in the OHL as the NHL, but so many games seem to be nothing but going through the motions. It's why the NHL is practically unwatchable. Thankfully the OHL isn't quite there yet, but it's getting closer.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The physicality has dwindled to the point where you are afraid to dish out a big hit because you know incompetent refs will get excited about seeing the big hit and penalize regardless.

This is one of the things that's getting me more and more irritated with games (both in person and on TV). Whether it's a hit, a chipped puck, a fight, or something else, it feels like penalties are arbitrary at times or too firm at other times.

For instance... if two guys drop the gloves at the same time, it should be five each, good to go, regardless of the reason. Last season, we saw a Spitfire skate past a player following a hit, they dropped, squared off, and Windsor got the instigator. Every fight is going to have someone ask "you wanna go?" That's the reality. Call the instigator for a clear "one-sided" start... and that's it.

For instance #2 - A few guys are battling for a puck along the boards, the puck is bouncing around, and it gets whacked into the crowd. The player didn't intend to do it but, because of the rule, he sits for two or less? Nah. There needs to be some discretion there. If it's clear you flip it out to avoid someone/something, then that's delay of game, no issues. A clear "whoops"... come on, let's get rid of that.

I don't mind penalty or goal reviews because you have to get it right, especially in certain situations. I'd hate for the officials to miss something or call the wrong result and it cost a team a game.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Reffing a game is tough these days. They are basically under the micro scope on every offside call and goal scored now. It's like the OJ trial. The biggest bitch in hockey conversations is reffing despite all the videos proving them right or wrong. Depends which side of the coin you are on. Penalty for shooting a puck into the crowd sucks if it wasn't intentional but I doubt they ever change it. I think there was a law suit that instigated this penalty. One thing that seems odd is the slashing penalty. Sticks use to be made of hardwood and a slash was on the body and it probably hurt like hell. Now they weigh 5 oz and a slash on an opponents stick is call and the opposing player pretends they were pole axed. Same with high sticks. Players rub themselves raw trying to draw blood now. Back in the day they called a ten inch cut a war wound they were proud to wear. The OHL has become dainty compared to what we see in the NHL play offs these last couple of weeks.
The sandpaper on most OHL teams has gone from 40 coarse to 440 Extra fine. Fans seem to want this type of hockey now in Major A. It doesn't translate to pro hockey from what we are witnessing. I'm a salty old coot with some Irish in me so take what I say with a grain of salt and maybe a bit of pepper.;)

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I’ll also add that going to the two referee system affected the way the game is played and officiated in multiple ways.

In a league where you don’t have enough competent refs to begin with, the NHL going to two refs caused the graduation of what were the few competent refs left in the CHL.

That domino effect coupled with the CHL following suit by also going with two refs meant a CHL with the majority of refs not competent at this level, many of which wouldn’t be at this level if there were only one ref. They’ve never been able to catch up.

And, instead of having a game officiated by one ref, who you knew the type of game he called, and who could control the game most nights, you have two refs who most often are trying to make sure they each make the same amount of calls in order to make it look like they’re dialed into the game.

And, with two refs, players can’t get away with crap behind the backs of what used to be one ref. That affects the atmosphere of the game. Fans aren’t amped up by these missed calls. Players aren’t amped up by these missed calls where they used to eventually look for retribution which led to the “extra curriculars” that amped up the fans.

Now fans, players and coaches alike are irate at missed calls that should have been called when there’s no excuse that they not be called when there are two sets of eyes out there. That leads back to the major incompetence of the two refs.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I’ll also add that going to the two referee system affected the way the game is played and officiated in multiple ways.

In a league where you don’t have enough competent refs to begin with, the NHL going to two refs caused the graduation of what were the few competent refs left in the CHL.

That domino effect coupled with the CHL following suit by also going with two refs meant a CHL with the majority of refs not competent at this level, many of which wouldn’t be at this level if there were only one ref. They’ve never been able to catch up.

And, instead of having a game officiated by one ref, who you knew the type of game he called, and who could control the game most nights, you have two refs who most often are trying to make sure they each make the same amount of calls in order to make it look like they’re dialed into the game.

And, with two refs, players can’t get away with crap behind the backs of what used to be one ref. That affects the atmosphere of the game. Fans aren’t amped up by these missed calls. Players aren’t amped up by these missed calls where they used to eventually look for retribution which led to the “extra curriculars” that amped up the fans.

Now fans, players and coaches alike are irate at missed calls that should have been called when there’s no excuse that they not be called when there are two sets of eyes out there. That leads back to the major incompetence of the two refs.
This is true. I found Ranger fans looked bored as hell after these rules changed. You could just feel it in the air. Fans just sat on their hands most games. Even the pop corn with extra butter tasted dry. Ten dollar tall boys helped to wash it down.

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Fans too have evolved. Since the London arena ( John Labatt Centre originally ) opened, the fans who bought tickets to actually watch the game had been displaced by others who attended, more as a social event, to see and be seen. The game became secondary, and the behaviour of the newbies reflected that. Arriving late or leaving seats while game play was occurring became more common, and irritating to those who actually wanted to see the play, without interuption.

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
the game has evolved, largely for the better.

it is faster, rewards the most skilled players, and is slowly placing more emphasis on player safety.

i don't understand the wanton bloodlust exhibited by some hockey fans, especially when we are talking about children at the CHL level. if you need to witness two children fistfighting in order to enjoy hockey there's something wrong with your head.

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009

it is faster, rewards the most skilled players, and is slowly placing more emphasis on player safety.

i don't understand the wanton bloodlust exhibited by some hockey fans, especially when we are talking about children at the CHL level. if you need to witness two children fistfighting in order to enjoy hockey there's something wrong with your head.
There a lot more being discussed in this thread than children fist fighting.

Care to comment on those issues?

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario

I think the OHL may have "evolved" with some rules against fighting it has established but it doesn't translate to pro hockey. The OHL hasn't banned fighting and they govern what happens. Look at the NHL playoffs as an example. Lots of fights and players getting run over with some hard legal or illegal hits. Some of these OHL players will be in fights down the road if and when they make pro hockey. The rules for bullying are basically non existent and go out the window in the NHL. Players even insult family members during scrums and the league seems fine with this. Heat of the battle. One has to remember it's the players on the ice fighting not the fans. Fans never instigate fights on the ice and really have no control of whether players fight or not. The majority of fans in a rink to a large extent applaud their player involved in a fight win or lose. It's been part of the sport for decades. Some fans go to games in the US because they like the idea that players may get into scraps. If someone can convince all the players to stop fighting fans will still watch the games regardless.

Reactions: DWI Dale

DWI Dale

Mar 23, 2014
The Soo
I think the OHL may have "evolved" with some rules against fighting it has established but it doesn't translate to pro hockey. The OHL hasn't banned fighting and they govern what happens. Look at the NHL playoffs as an example. Lots of fights and players getting run over with some hard legal or illegal hits. Some of these OHL players will be in fights down the road if and when they make pro hockey. The rules for bullying are basically non existent and go out the window in the NHL. Players even insult family members during scrums and the league seems fine with this. Heat of the battle. One has to remember it's the players on the ice fighting not the fans. Fans never instigate fights on the ice and really have no control of whether players fight or not. The majority of fans in a rink to a large extent applaud their player involved in a fight win or lose. It's been part of the sport for decades. Some fans go to games in the US because they like the idea that players may get into scraps. If someone can convince all the players to stop fighting fans will still watch the games regardless.
The NHL is definitely a totally different beast. I find myself entirely unsure of what constitutes a penalty, a suspension, etc in the NHL because of all the game management by referees and inconsistent supplementary discipline. What constitutes an infraction seems to vary game to game, and even period to period which is just stupid IMO.

But even the NHL has evolved since the Rock'em Sock'em days of hockey. Just the other day I believe I heard a study released that said NHL enforcers die on average 10 years sooner than others. The NHL cannot dance around facts like this forever and one day fighting will be removed from the game.

Reactions: bobber

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad