Confirmed with Link: Adam Engström signs 3 year ELC

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I'm still super disappointed with Collberg. I was soooo happy when we picked him :(
I was the same buddy….I was so happy with the picks in that draft! I thought we hit it out of the park with Galchenyuk, Collberg, Thrower and Bozon….oh well.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005

Honestly, it’s refreshing to read that. I know we compare him to the last Swedish defense prospect that we had high hopes for (Norlinder) but the difference seems quite apparent in the sense that it looks like Engstrom is “all in” and wants to do everything to play in the NHL where Norlinder didn’t look like he had the desire to stick around more than he had to.

Reactions: bopeep

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Norlinder is still around, too.

I’ve lost hope for him. I was already on the fence about him at the start of last season. He will have to show a lot more as he’s been passed by quite a few of our prospects, plus he’s already 24.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Honestly, it’s refreshing to read that. I know we compare him to the last Swedish defense prospect that we had high hopes for (Norlinder) but the difference seems quite apparent in the sense that it looks like Engstrom is “all in” and wants to do everything to play in the NHL where Norlinder didn’t look like he had the desire to stick around more than he had to.
Engstrom has better credentials than Norlinder though. He did better in the SHL at a younger age than Norlinder. Was better internationally too. Not that Norlinder was not an interesting prospect but Engstrom has more potential.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Engstrom has better credentials than Norlinder though. He did better in the SHL at a younger age than Norlinder. Was better internationally too. Not that Norlinder was not an interesting prospect but Engstrom has more potential.

Montreal's also not in a situation where fans desperately cling to any prospect that has success. They don't need Engstrom to be a saviour, just to continue to develop and hopefully be a good NHLer.

Reactions: bopeep

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
It means you get ready to recall Ds from Trois-Riviere. Offering more opportunities, is not a bad thing for a development team.

So two months in you already have ECHL level D playing a regular shift in the AHL and TR has a LNAH D line?

You want 7-8D at the NHL level, 8-9 at the AHL level and 1-3 AHL contracts in the ECHL.

Reactions: Runner77

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
WEN TRADE?
we have 4000 legit Dmen.
Harris/Struble/Kov/Barron/Savard - who goes first?
I would trade Matheson personally but that's just me :naughty:

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
Some will be traded to get different shinies. Should be at least 2 of them, but HuGo has done some stupid stuff over the last year (no vet goalie in the AHL to star the year last season for example) so who knows what will really happen.

Also, while people in here are all "Engstrom to the AHL", I wouldn't be surprised if he made the NHL as the 6thD/3rd pair RD.
All of them have a case for the NHL.

Training camp will be very interesting with Hutson, Reinbacher, Mailloux and Engstrom looking to make the roster. If the last 3 show good things on the right side, Barron will be dealt.

The only young "regular" that should have a secured spot is Guhle. As much as I'd like to include Xhekaj, his spot is not assured.

It's certainly going to be a very fun camp to watch the young guns duke it out.

Reactions: windycity

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Attempting to answer my own question …

Worth noting is that Engstrom spent a lot of this season playing on his off-side, often being partnered with former Hab blueliner Brandon Davidson.

Yeah, but what’s « a lot »?

A recent interview with an asst coach on Engstrom’s team sheds some light on how good he might be on his off-side but it’s obviously not an impartial opinion:

Question: Adam is obviously playing on his off-side, what’s the benefit of that, and what are the difficulties?

Answer: I think he’s such a good skater, so defensively with the gap, the neutral zone gap and the D-zone, there’s not a big difference. I think also his puck skills make him a defender that can play on the off-side. That’s usually how you think when you plan the defence when you don’t have enough righties We have one righty of eight defencemen, so we need to have lefties on the right side and I think Adam with his puck skills fits well there.

Does anyone have stats on how many off-side games he played since the Habs drafted him?

Last edited:
Reactions: Guess and Paddy17

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Attempting to answer my own question …

Worth noting is that Engstrom spent a lot of this season playing on his off-side, often being partnered with former Hab blueliner Brandon Davidson.

Yeah, but what’s « a lot »?

A recent interview with an asst coach on Engstrom’s team sheds some light on how good he might be on his offside but it’s obviously not an impartial opinion:

Question: Adam is obviously playing on his off-side, what’s the benefit of that, and what are the difficulties?

Answer: I think he’s such a good skater, so defensively with the gap, the neutral zone gap and the D-zone, there’s not a big difference. I think also his puck skills make him a defender that can play on the off-side. That’s usually how you think when you plan the defence when you don’t have enough righties We have one righty of eight defencemen, so we need to have lefties on the right side and I think Adam with his puck skills fits well there.

Does anyone have stats on how many offside games he played since the Habs drafted him?

I don't have the stats but I followed Rogle and they post lines every game. I couldn't tell you the last time this year he was on the left side. It was the majority, like the vast majority.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
WEN TRADE?
we have 4000 legit Dmen.
Harris/Struble/Kov/Barron/Savard - who goes first?
I would trade Matheson personally but that's just me :naughty:
Harris, struble and kovacevic are 6/7th dman on a contender team. Barron we don’t know yet. savard a 4/5th dman.

Reactions: Rozz

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't have the stats but I followed Rogle and they post lines every game. I couldn't tell you the last time this year he was on the left side. It was the majority, like the vast majority.
We don’t know who gets the job as head coach in Laval next season but really curious to see if they’ll play Engstrom on his off-side.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
We don’t know who gets the job as head coach in Laval next season but really curious to see if they’ll play Engstrom on his offside.

Sadly from Arpon sounds like Fhoule will be back. The new regime seems allergic to doing better on assistant or AHL coaches. It's the one annoying flaw so far.

Reactions: Rozz and Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Most Euro's like to play their off-side, so we'll see where the Habs want to use him in Laval, at LD or RD as he seems to be equally good at either side.

Thx so much for that. I knew you’d have the video evidence. :thumbu:

Reactions: montreal

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Harris, struble and kovacevic are 6/7th dman on a contender team. Barron we don’t know yet. savard a 4/5th dman.
Savard is gone sooner than later so maybe need to get rid of now.
Struble is a top 4 imo.
Barron might be best to sell while still considered to have potential - I don’t think he becomes more than a Mike Reilly type.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Savard is gone sooner than later so maybe need to get rid of now.
Struble is a top 4 imo.
Barron might be best to sell while still considered to have potential - I don’t think he becomes more than a Mike Reilly type.
So he is in the Hedman, Sergachev, dumba, cernak range?
Or : harley, heiskanen, lindell, tanev range?
Or : martinez, pietrangelo, mcnabb, theodore

I want a contender team. On my contender team, Struble won’t be top 4 dman. Anyway, A top4 dman will ask something around 3/4 millions at minimum per year. I doubt Struble will receive that amount of money someday.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
So he is in the Hedman, Sergachev, dumba, cernak range?
Or : harley, heiskanen, lindell, tanev range?
Or : martinez, pietrangelo, mcnabb, theodore

I want a contender team. On my contender team, Struble won’t be top 4 dman. Anyway, A top4 dman will ask something around 3/4 millions at minimum per year. I doubt Struble will receive that amount of money someday.
Disagree - he's only played less than 1 season and looked like our best D several of those nights.
He faded a bit as season went on which is normal for young players.
Whether he stays or goes somewhere else, he will be a top 4 imo.
(and why you bringing up Norris caliber top pair D! - I said top 4 meaning 2nd pair)

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Norlinder is still around, too.
tenor.gif

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
LD Congestion
Matheson
Guhle (should not be a RD Longterm)
Xhekaj
Struble
Harris
Engstrom

Obviously this needs to be addressed

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Disagree - he's only played less than 1 season and looked like our best D several of those nights.
He faded a bit as season went on which is normal for young players.
Whether he stays or goes somewhere else, he will be a top 4 imo.
He is a solid checking dman and bring physicallity I agree, but he won’t get the offensive number to be considered as top 4 dman. Every team has a struble in their team and every team want to improve their top 4 dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad